PDA

View Full Version : Celtics are going to be a force again next year.

Indazone
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/6/27/2245710/scout-jajuan-johnson-a-perkins-replacement

Adding Juwaun Johnson and and E'twaun Moore was a stellar move. These guys are hard nosed ballers on a defense oriented system. Johnson has a ridiculous 39 inch vertical and between the two at Purdue averaged 38 pts a game. Johnson can come in and play right away in the front line.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/6210364-417/osipoff-ainge-celtics-welcome-boilers-duo.html

Johnson is better than Landry as Purdue products go.

Chad Ford of ESPN.com: When you’re drafting as low as the Celtics are in a weak draft, you temper expectations. But I think they may have found two players who can help.

Johnson was underrated all season, mostly because he was a senior. He’s long, athletic and skilled, and he has improved every year.

Moore is a consummate role player. He isn’t great at anything but his overall game is solid. Both players could help the Celtics down the road. Grade: A-

Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don’t Lie: Grade: A

For the last few years, I’ve lived in Lafayette, Ind., which is just an eight-minute drive from West Lafayette, Ind., where Purdue is located. Both of these players are from Purdue, and I should either be terribly biased in their favor, or reacting negatively and inappropriately based solely on the punk Purdue hipsters who dodge in front of my car every time I cross over the Wabash River to buy used LPs in West Lafayette.

The truth is that I don’t care about Purdue, I watch as much Purdue basketball as I do Duke or College of Charleston basketball (that is to say, no basketball), and my location has no impact on this rating.

With that in place, I think Johnson can be a terrific player in the right system, so much so that he was my favorite target for my hometown Chicago Bulls as they picked late in Round 1. And Moore, though his game is full of holes and he is a wing-trapped in a point guard’s body, could be a rotation-level talent. Even knowing Johnson’s rebounding issues and understanding his small frame, Boston could turn him into a contributor that lasts for years. Not bad, for the end of the first and second rounds. Boilermaker-hoy!

Sam Amick of SI.com: The only time there’s a downside of success is on draft day, when it’s so much tougher for elite teams to find a way to grab players who could actually help. But Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson (No. 27 via New Jersey) might actually be able to do that, and the experience that comes with being a four-year player whose game was on the rise every year comes in handy.

As for Johnson’s college teammate E’Twaun Moore (No. 55), he has a track record of winning (a state title in high school, two Sweet 16 appearances with the Boilermakers) that will — if nothing else — mesh with the Celtics’ culture. If he can beat the odds and actually contribute one day, that’s all the better. Grade: A

Red Hawk #21
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Stevie Franchise is back and better than ever Baby!!

Indazone
06-28-2011, 02:01 PM
lol Franchise! Nope I got nothing on him...but Johnson can flat out ball.

Red Hawk #21
06-28-2011, 02:08 PM
He would be even better if he chose his shots more wisely, but anyway he's a baller.

PS- Kevin Martin is a baller tambien, although I hate that he's always trying to draw contact...

Indazone
06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
He would be even better if he chose his shots more wisely, but anyway he's a baller.

PS- Kevin Martin is a baller tambien, although I hate that he's always trying to draw contact...

No different than Reggie Miller kicking out his foot when he took his shot

Indazone
06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
How he fell to 27 is beyond me. Steal of the draft. Should have been top 10.

et3-0QpkwLM

JamStone
06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I like JaJuan Johnson a lot. Got to watch him quite a bit throughout his college career since i watch Big Ten games. Not sure that I'd say he's the "steal of the draft" or that he'll ever be a great NBA player, but he was a nice pick-up for the Celtics. Has a nice, and pretty polished, all around game. Sometimes upperclassmen get overlooked simply because they're upperclassmen.

Kid could stand to eat a couple of big macs though. Because he is older and more mature, his weight is a concern. You'd want him at least in the 230-235 range at his height. He weighed in at 220 at the draft combine. He's already 22 and hasn't proven he can get the requisite weight to be able to bang down low. That's the biggest concern the Celtics will have with him.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Celtics will be out in the 2nd round of next year

jjktkk
06-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I was hoping that Johnson would of dropped to the Spurs. But like Jam said, the kid, while very talented, needs to gain some weight/strength. As for Boston being a force, they need to shore up their frontline if they want to contend.

sefant77
06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
KG is still done and the Celtics have still no legit center (plural)

Indazone
06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
If he fills out and can get to about 250 lbs, he's a plays a lot like Garnett.

DMC
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
The Celts were a force?

LkrFan
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
:lmao

dunkman
06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
They draft very good players. Rondo and Perkins are good examples . . .

Sean Cagney
06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
They are still behind CHI and MIA easily.

LnGrrrR
06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Kid could stand to eat a couple of big macs though. Because he is older and more mature, his weight is a concern. You'd want him at least in the 230-235 range at his height. He weighed in at 220 at the draft combine. He's already 22 and hasn't proven he can get the requisite weight to be able to bang down low. That's the biggest concern the Celtics will have with him.

I heard Shaq's going to stay on in an advisory role to teach him how to gain weight in the offseason.

HEY YO!

Lincoln
06-29-2011, 12:38 AM
:lmao 2nd seed

DJ Mbenga
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
kid's gotta start eating some steaks