PDA

View Full Version : A New "My Computer Crapped Out On Me" Thread

Nathan Explosion
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
So yeah. Yesterday all was fine and today, nothing. It was in sleep mode and wouldn't wake up. After trying to get it on, I just went ahead and turned it off, waited about 30 seconds and turned it on again. Just went straight into sleep mode again. After not being able to wake it again, I turned it off and unplugged.

While it was unplugged, I went ahead and checked everything out, and visually everything looks fine. A few months ago I replaced the fan, but that's about the only problem in 5 years that I've had. I plugged everything back in, fired it up, it acts like it's booting up, but the monitor won't recognize it and the start up sounds haven't started. Furthermore, the fan keeps spinning at full speed when it normally slows down a few seconds after power up.

My guess is it's my hard drive. Any suggestions though?

IronMaxipad
06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Sounds like an overheating issue or hardware failure. When you boot it up can you see anything on the monitor? Can you get into safemode?

Venti Quattro
06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Last week my computer wouldn't open but the CPU was perfectly working. WTH happened there? Still wasn't able to fix it, but a friend told me about using an eraser to clean the GPU card

ElNono
06-29-2011, 01:37 AM
1) If there's dust, get a can of compressed air and and clean it up
2) Pull up the RAM chips and re-seat them
3) Pull up the add-on cards you have and re-seat them
4) Start unplugging components and see if it starts up. If you suspect it's the harddrive, disconnect it and you should at least get to the BIOS screen

Normally, when it's an issue with the CPU (ie: overheating) the machine will turn itself off. Some motherboard also normally beep if it's an issue with RAM. Motherboard is unlikely.

Since the fans keep on blowing at full speed, I would look at the video card (if you have one installed). If your mobo has a built-in video connector, pull the video card and hook up the monitor to the built-in and see if it starts up.

Nathan Explosion
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like an overheating issue or hardware failure. When you boot it up can you see anything on the monitor? Can you get into safemode?

Nothing is showing so I can't get into safe mode to even restore. That's why I think it's a hardware issue. Did everything mentioned and still nothing, not even a BIOS screen. Switched out video cables too, just in case. When it comes to hardware, I know very little, so I'm learning on the go.

Where's a good place where I can go to diagnose the problem for cheap?

ElNono
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Did you try pulling once RAM chip at a time and seeing if that brings it back to life?
Do you have a spare video card you can pop in to just try if that's what it is?

Otherwise, you'll probably be looking at motherboard or CPU. Did you OC your machine?

Nathan Explosion
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Been reading around. Seems the card reader creates errors. Unplugged, nothing. Others displaying the same exact probl say it's a motherboard issue. I hope not as I haven't a clue how to mess with those.

ElNono
06-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Been reading around. Seems the card reader creates errors. Unplugged, nothing. Others displaying the same exact probl say it's a motherboard issue. I hope not as I haven't a clue how to mess with those.

If it's the mobo, there's not much to mess with. You probably will have to replace it.

I think mouse does computer repairs. Not sure if you're in his area. Try to PM him.