PDA

View Full Version : playing in europe during the lockout

longtimelurker
06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Found this:
According to FIBA rules, players need to be granted a special exception by FIBA to play for any FIBA team while under contract. Also, in order for this to happen, their current NBA contract needs to be officially invalid for that year.

At what point during the locked out season, can the players file suit to invalidate their contracts for the year, claiming "monopoly" and "right to work"?

What do you Euro spurs fans think about the mood over there with FIBA granting special exceptions NBA stars on contracts should they force invalidation?

Proxy
06-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't mind if Manu didn't play for Argentina.

TimmehC
06-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I'd be more concerned about players not under contract already, including this years draft picks. If the lockout's still going when European teams are getting ready for their seasons, they could start picking off those guys with the lure of a guaranteed* paycheck.

* = unless the team is in Greece.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
At what point during the locked out season, can the players file suit to invalidate their contracts for the year, claiming "monopoly" and "right to work"?My guess is the contracts would be invalidated once the NBA passed the deadline for putting on a shortened season.

ElNono
06-30-2011, 06:58 PM
IIRC, if the union decertifies, contracts become invalid and unenforceable. Not sure, but have no time to look it up now.

TMTTRIO
06-30-2011, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't mind if Manu didn't play for Argentina.

I don't understand the whole thing but Manu recently said that if the lockout goes into January he'll probably go play overseas.

velik_m
06-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Found this:
According to FIBA rules, players need to be granted a special exception by FIBA to play for any FIBA team while under contract. Also, in order for this to happen, their current NBA contract needs to be officially invalid for that year.

Yes, that's why NBA owners were happy to let players play for their national teams during the summer.