PDA

View Full Version : sj demands contract extension rj for sj come on bucks

ducks
06-30-2011, 10:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Stephen-Jackson-asks-for-a-mandatory-2013-cont?urn=nba-wp5791

ChuckD
06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Why? The Spurs will never give him one, either. You don't want an unhappy Jax on your roster.

ducks
06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
they thought about not to long again

SequSpur
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
ducks, this is fucking stupid, they are in a lockout..wgarf

Stalin
06-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Nigga trying to get paid, nothing wrong with that. Author of the article complains that about 9 mill a year isn't worth 20 4 4....I'm not so sure. Spurs paying rj 8 mill a year, and he gives them, 6 and 4, in the playoffs, lol. I think jackson's contract is fair enough, tbh.

SequSpur
06-30-2011, 10:38 PM
sjax has always been underrated....

ducks
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
sj>>>>>>>manu

Leetonidas
06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
At least he has balls. I'd take him over RGay anyday

MannyIsGod
06-30-2011, 10:48 PM
LOL NBA trades before a season that isn't going to happen. Gonna have to watch the NFL, oh wait.

ShoogarBear
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I'll say this, if the Spurs are ever without TD, Manu, and Parker, SJax wouldn't score only two points in a half.

hsxvvd
07-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Forget Sjax, I'd take a redo and have Kurt, Elson and Bruce back even the 2011 versions

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2011, 03:04 AM
jax is underrated, fck the spurs fo for under quoting his value back then with the low ball offer

the problem is not him, the problem is the teams

remember when he sign/traded to the warriors, they made it to the playoffs in that upset win over the mavs, hence the team was broken up and gsw hitted the fan again as always,

he gets traded to the bobcats, they got to the playoffs once, then other variables came into play like trades and shit and bobcats back to where they are again....

smrattler
07-01-2011, 08:31 AM
From what I heard, the Bucks front office tried not to piss themselves from laughter when they realized the Spurs wanted RJ. There is no way they would take him back.

in2deep
07-01-2011, 08:45 AM
although SJax is way overrated here. He is 10x better than RJ. and I'm sure he'd be useful in the playoffs.

still this has no chance of happening.

Agloco
07-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'll say this, if the Spurs are ever without TD, Manu, and Parker, SJax wouldn't score only two points in a half.

This.

although SJax is way overrated here. He is 10x better than RJ. and I'm sure he'd be useful in the playoffs.

still this has no chance of happening.

Two years ago when the Spurs were looking for a legitimate scoring threat from the wing, it was a Captain Jack type they were looking for. Instead, we got the worst case scenario. I don't think it's possible to overrate the upgrade we'd get from an SJax acquisition..........on both ends of the court.

GSH
07-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Regardless of his talent, Jax has pretty much turned into a cancer with this last demand, by saying, "It's mandatory". What exactly does that mean? What will he do if he doesn't get his demand? Mope and not play his best ball? Fake an injury, like Bonzi Wells? He's got to do something - "mandatory" has to have some teeth in it.

Now every time he has a shooting slump, people are going to speculate that he's not trying. And if he starts out the season cold, it's really going to get ugly. These things have a way of taking on a life of their own. I wouldn't be surprised if Jax' career ended a lot like Sean Kemp's, after this stunt. Not that Jax will come to camp weighing 300 lbs. But if he gets an extension before he plays again, it wouldn't shock me to see him go into early retirement, while drawing a salary.

I know he's just thinking that salaries are going to decrease, and he's looking to get paid (again) before that happens. But issuing a demand like that on the eve of a lockout is just stupid. And now he really doesn't have any way out. And it's obvious that no other team is going to want him, unless they are prepared to offer him a big extension.

Gagnrath
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Two years ago I would have loved to have had Stephen Jackson back he was fairly available, likely still had some knowledge of the spurs playbook or could have relearned things quickly, was two year younger as were the Spurs big 3. At this point the spurs don't have the rest of the big 3 anywhere near their peaks save for Parker and so would be throwing good money after that which was misspent on Richard Jefferson.

While I like SJax as a player at this point in his career we would be getting two more good years of production before the decline really starts to take effect, and he would not have the stars around him to really make legit title runs. Its sad but without an Allstar caliber power-forward (Duncans limited mobility at this point really makes him a center though this only became true in the last season) the spurs as currently constructed don't have much chance.

SenorSpur
07-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Two years ago I would have loved to have had Stephen Jackson back he was fairly available, likely still had some knowledge of the spurs playbook or could have relearned things quickly, was two year younger as were the Spurs big 3. At this point the spurs don't have the rest of the big 3 anywhere near their peaks save for Parker and so would be throwing good money after that which was misspent on Richard Jefferson.

While I like SJax as a player at this point in his career we would be getting two more good years of production before the decline really starts to take effect, and he would not have the stars around him to really make legit title runs. Its sad but without an Allstar caliber power-forward (Duncans limited mobility at this point really makes him a center though this only became true in the last season) the spurs as currently constructed don't have much chance.

Two summers ago, SJax would've made a helluva lot more sense than RJ ever did. And I don't believe he would've cost as much. The RJ acquisition has been just a downright disaster. If the Spurs were willing to go over the cap for a viable SF, they probably should've targeted Captain Jack. Of course, that's easy for me to say, given the benefit of hindsight. Still, Jax would've been clearly the better choice because he's a winner, has heart and "makes love to pressure". Plus he's a known commodity around these parts. He has all the intangibles that RJ didn't and doesn't have.

GSH
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Two summers ago, SJax would've made a helluva lot more sense than RJ ever did. And I don't believe he would've cost as much. The RJ acquisition has been just a downright disaster. If the Spurs were willing to go over the cap for a viable SF, they probably should've targeted Captain Jack. Of course, that's easy for me to day, given the benefit of hindsight. Still, Jax was the better choice because he's a winner, has heart and "makes love to pressure". All the intangibles that RJ doesn't have.

The problem was, at the end of the 08-09 season Jackson had surgery for an injury that had been bothering him for 2 years. Charlotte was more desperate than the Spurs were, and they took a chance that the Spurs' FO wasn't willing to take. At least that's the way I remember it. I know he started the season shooting something like .250 from the 3P line, which didn't look good.

One other thing people tend to forget is that Jackson's career FG% is something just above .400. Pop's philosophy of playing defense is all about limiting the other team to something in that neighborhood. In other words, Jackson shoots as badly as we want all our opponents to shoot.

The Spurs don't pount the offensive boards, they get back on defense. (Or at least they used to.) Jackson's high-volume, low percentage shooting isn't the best fit for that strategy. That's part of the reason Pop used to say that Jax lost as many games as he won for us.

That's not Jackson-bashing on my part. Just a reminder of possibly why he never found his way back here.

SenorSpur
07-01-2011, 11:03 AM
The problem was, at the end of the 08-09 season Jackson had surgery for an injury that had been bothering him for 2 years. Charlotte was more desperate than the Spurs were, and they took a chance that the Spurs' FO wasn't willing to take. At least that's the way I remember it. I know he started the season shooting something like .250 from the 3P line, which didn't look good.

One other thing people tend to forget is that Jackson's career FG% is something just above .400. Pop's philosophy of playing defense is all about limiting the other team to something in that neighborhood. In other words, Jackson shoots as badly as we want all our opponents to shoot.

The Spurs don't pount the offensive boards, they get back on defense. (Or at least they used to.) Jackson's high-volume, low percentage shooting isn't the best fit for that strategy. That's part of the reason Pop used to say that Jax lost as many games as he won for us.

That's not Jackson-bashing on my part. Just a reminder of possibly why he never found his way back here.

It's not Jackson-bashing at all. We all like to recall all the many heroic feats that SJax had in a Spurs uniform and sometimes we tend to forget that he did have many a cold-shooting night. However, that never stopped him from ever meeting a shot he didn't like or one that he never took. He was definitely a high-volume shooter - sometimes to the detriment of the offense, which was both a blessing and a curse.

I had never heard how Pop felt about Jax, but your explanation makes all the sense in the world.

GSH
07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I had never heard how Pop felt about Jax, but your explanation makes all the sense in the world.

I heard Pop say that twice in public interviews. (The part about him losing as many games as he wins.) It's not something that I made up, or exaggerated. Those were his exact words. Pop says a lot of things tongue in cheek, but those comments didn't come across that way. The reporters were crowing about how great Jax had been, and he pointed out the other side.

True or not, if Pop feels that way, it makes the guy a pretty rough fit on the team. Unfortunatly, there's more than a little bit of truth to it, I think. In a system that operates on ball control, and half-court offense, Jackson's assets aren't necessarily the best fit. Everyone can still argue about whether Pop's system is the best, but that's not the point.

SenorSpur
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I heard Pop say that twice in public interviews. (The part about him losing as many games as he wins.) It's not something that I made up, or exaggerated. Those were his exact words. Pop says a lot of things tongue in cheek, but those comments didn't come across that way. The reporters were crowing about how great Jax had been, and he pointed out the other side.

True or not, if Pop feels that way, it makes the guy a pretty rough fit on the team. Unfortunatly, there's more than a little bit of truth to it, I think. In a system that operates on ball control, and half-court offense, Jackson's assets aren't necessarily the best fit. Everyone can still argue about whether Pop's system is the best, but that's not the point.

Here's the irony: As Jackson has gotten older, he's probably an even better fit for the Spurs half-court offense now than when he was younger. RJ, on the other hand, still is what he is. A slashing type player who thrives in an open-court offense and not one that forces him into being a spot-up shooter. All that said, Pop may have not been as thoroughly happy with Jax, but it's hard to argue how or why RJ would've been a better fit.

GSH
07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
All that said, Pop may have not been as thoroughly happy with Jax, but it's hard to argue how or why RJ would've been a better fit.

Now THAT is the 50-million-dollar question. (Isn't that about how much the Spurs will have paid Jefferson, in total, before he comes off the books?)

I remember the day the Spurs signed him, and everyone was so excited, and I made a comment about him being a bad fit for this system. And, of course, the friendly responses were overwhelming. But then, I enjoy being called "asshat".

I always liked Jefferson as a player. He was a very hard worker on the floor. He pulled down a lot of boards, and got to the FT line a hell of a lot. Honesly, he was an exciting player to watch. And I never saw him lose his composure, even when the players around him (like Kenyon Martin or Vince Carter) were falling apart.

What I never understood was how he was supposed to fit here. Still don't.

And you're right. Jax would have been a much better choice at that time, no matter what. If Pop could have afforded to put a 3 in his doghouse, RJ surely would have been there. So even if he has a problem with Jackson, he still would have been on the floor. When you put it like that - yeah, he would still be a better choice, warts and all.

Thompson
07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Give them RJ and Blair for Jackson and filler. If Jackson sulks enough maybe it can happen.

jjktkk
07-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Damn, stupid, hindsight. :lol

Chomag
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Sjacks is a stone cold killer on the floor when you need a big shot. I have wished him back on the team ever since he left. Having said that though, I don't see Spurs getting him. As good as the Spurs FO they just are usually not aggressive enough.

wildbill2u
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Part of Jax's problem is always attitude. He has enough ego for two players. While it can come across as 'heroic" if he makes the shot at the buzzer, he doesn't want to acknowledge the misses or that he sometimes is a 'black hole' ballhog on the court.

Therefore he gets crosswise with management decisions on his role and playing time as well as with his teammates (GS) to the point where he has to go or the team suffers. He doesn't wear well. Eventually the attitude overwhelms the talent and he is off to a new team.

Pop and Buford will have none of it on a second go-round in my opinion.

ducks
07-01-2011, 06:05 PM
mike brown kepted in line here
he worked fine

Cessation
07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I agree, jax is opinionated, but is it better to have tractable player like bonner instead? Spurs won a championship with jackson contributing at least, with ginger not so much.

ChuckD
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
mike brown kepted in line here
he worked fine

He was making $750K on a non-guaranteed contract. That lends itself to being under control. He had also been pretty much let go by NJ two years before, and was on the verge of a bad reputation. That being said, it would work with him here if he didn't insist on the extension.

wildbill2u
07-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Jax is amazingly consistent as a shooter from year to year. His career FG% is .418 and 3 Pt% is .339. In the one full year with the Spurs it was .435 and .32%. In the playoffs, it was .414 and .336.

He's kinda like Mario Ellie in that his attitude on the court is probably what makes up for ordinary stats and keeps him so popular with some fans.

Ice009
07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Jax is amazingly consistent as a shooter from year to year. His career FG% is .418 and 3 Pt% is .339. In the one full year with the Spurs it was .435 and .32%. In the playoffs, it was .414 and .336.

He's kinda like Mario Ellie in that his attitude on the court is probably what makes up for ordinary stats and keeps him so popular with some fans.

It's all about attitude with Sjax and he brings that to the team as well, not just the fans. Spurs definitely could have used that instead of RJs gutless play and mediocre attitude.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 10:12 AM

I have to tell you on no uncertain terms that I don't give a shit about attitude. Plenty of guys in the league have completely unwarranted attitude. What I care about is someone who is unafraid to take the big shot, and Jax has that in abundance. Gary Neal has it too, and almost ZERO attitude.

Sigz
07-02-2011, 10:16 AM
This sounds pretty accurate:

This guy is a head case and always has been. This "demand" should be no surprise to anyone that has followed this fool throughout his career.

By the way, he was no "good soldier" while with the Spurs. The Spurs just do a marvelous job of keeping their idiot players out of the media. He had absolutely NO pull in a lockeroom guided by two HOF players (Duncan, Robinson), experienced vets (Willis, Smith, Ferry, Kerr) and a HOF coach (Popovich). He was a high strung Spur with a short leash. For every 1 big shot he hit - he fired off 20 stupid, 25 foot "what are you doing?" type bricks, and commited costly turnovers. Steve Smith and Steve Kerr were constantly on him about his mouth and behavior.

He was talented, but wildly inconsistent and a head case. I was not in the least bit surprised that he was in the stands swinging @ fans during the Palace mele in 2006. That's who he is. He left the Spurs because he (and his agent) grossly overestimated his value in 2003 and he ended up with a one year deal with the Hawks. He then bounced around the league, causing trouble - instead of maturing with the Spurs and possibly adding a few more championships to his name.

He's an idiot, plain and simple and always will be. Milwaukee will learn that soon enough.