PDA

View Full Version : Helping millionaires. Do you buy/will you continue to buy Spurs tickets?

Fabbs
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Should the multimillionaire/or is it mostly (all??) billionaire owners and mostly millionaire players get anymore of your money? Dipsticks have the arrogance to possibly lose another season. Bear in mind I'm not stating or insinuating how one spends their entertainment dollars.

Hey the deals the Spurs have sometimes like $10 or so a ticket, seems almost anyone could afford to go to at least one game a season.....
Here in SoCal, while the Lakers tickets are unbelievably overpriced, the Clipps have some great deals. Course they're.....the Clipps.

That having been said, lets see.
• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.
Source, Sports Illustrated:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364

Do you want to give your money to billionaire owners and pourous NBA players who are just going to blow it on $1,000 bottles of Cristal and beachfront property in Yuma, AZ?

Kori, LJ, you at times have posted how you have some familiarity with NBA players. LJ hung with them when he was single, Kori you must have become friendly with some when you were working for WOAI. NOT asking you two to reveal anything confidential you shouldn't, just asking can you verify (sadly) that you have seen 1st hand what the SI article states? NBA players/ex NBA players flat broke?

baseline bum
07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/Msalgado80/Utah/jump.jpg

Here I am wondering if I should just jump and never have to read another Fabbs post in my life. One of the cool things about the park is the lack of railing/fences. You can pretty much walk up to the very edge of every cliff there.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Even by watching a game on TV you are indirectly giving money to them. If you get what you want out of the transaction, what's the problem? I mean, I wouldn't approve if SS&E was funding Al Qaeda or something like that, and fans do seem to vote with their feet sometimes (Shinn comes to mind), but making blanket judgments about spending habits could be overthinking it a bit.

Fabbs
07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Even by watching a game on TV you are indirectly giving money to them.
agreed

GSH
07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Here I am wondering if I should just jump and never have to read another Fabbs post in my life. One of the cool things about the park is the lack of railing/fences. You can pretty much walk up to the very edge of every cliff there.

Seriously funny.

CGD
07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Not sure what point you're trying to make friend, but it did get me thinking that the voice (and power) of the fan is really being overlooked in this whole CBA mess. One of my favorite moments of "consumer activism" came from the Manu contract extension drama last year. One fan's poster that read, "No Manu, No Season Tickets."

Wonder what fan reaction is going to be if this drags on too long. Will it go the way of the NHL and MLB which took years to regain their fan bases about their respective labor disputes?

Fabbs
07-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Not sure what point you're trying to make friend, but it did get me thinking that the voice (and power) of the fan is really being overlooked in this whole CBA mess. One of my favorite moments of "consumer activism" came from the Manu contract extension drama last year. One fan's poster that read, "No Manu, No Season Tickets."

Wonder what fan reaction is going to be if this drags on too long. Will it go the way of the NHL and MLB which took years to regain their fan bases about their respective labor disputes?
Absolutely.
Ain't gonna happen, but imagine if paying customer one and all said "Up yours NFL and NBA!" and quit going to games for a month. Completely empty stadium except for ChumpDumper and a few others. Quit/severely limited t.v. watching. Agree with you, who's got the power now? :toast

ChumpDumper
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Absolutely.
Ain't gonna happen, but imagine if paying customer one and all said "Up yours NFL and NBA!" and quit going to games for a month. Completely empty stadium except for ChumpDumper and a few others. Quit/severely limited t.v. watching. Agree with you, who's got the power now? :toastThat would be cool. Imagine the incentives for me to keep coming to the games.

GSH
07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Absolutely.
Ain't gonna happen, but imagine if paying customer one and all said "Up yours NFL and NBA!" and quit going to games for a month. Completely empty stadium except for ChumpDumper and a few others. Quit/severely limited t.v. watching. Agree with you, who's got the power now? :toast

The only way it happens is if the cities who subsidize the arenas organize, and run campaigns to get the taxpayer/fans to threaten a boycott. They could raise awareness enough, and get enough people together, to put some heat on. People forget that the cities only subsidize the arenas because we are supposed to get some economic benefit from them. That doesn't happen when no games are being played. The taxpayers are being screwed worse than either the players or the owners.

The big problem with that is that a lot of the big-city mayors would be 100% on the side of the union, just because it's a union. Instead of forcing both sides to compromise, we would get an even more broken system.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I will continue to buy tickets. The owners should get as much as they can... ITS THEIR BUSINESS. These players are paid too much STRICTLY ON hypotheticals and possibilities. I would have more sympathy for them if they were payed like golfers, based on performance only. Actually I wouldnt have sympathy for them. They would be paid directly what they are worth... WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Paying people what they deserve...

MannyIsGod
07-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Bb, lol.

braeden0613
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
It's not like anything has changed, they will still be millionaires and billionaires after the lockout gets resolved.

Blake
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Absolutely.

I got this one email this one time that talked about getting everyone to not buy gas for a day.

that was lol too.

Fabbs
07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I got this one email this one time that talked about getting everyone to not buy gas for a day.

that was lol too.
yep. 'Cept i said for a month. And while most have to drive, virtually none have to see the NBA and NFL.
Every once in a while an Erin Brockovich type story happens and the corps are beaten. But for the most part NBA and NFL Paying Customer just bends over and says "continue to insert" and "take my money".

pgardn
07-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I will continue to buy tickets. The owners should get as much as they can... ITS THEIR BUSINESS. These players are paid too much STRICTLY ON hypotheticals and possibilities. I would have more sympathy for them if they were payed like golfers, based on performance only. Actually I wouldnt have sympathy for them. They would be paid directly what they are worth... WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Paying people what they deserve...

The market determines how much they are worth or deserve. But the owners overpaid some horrible players (great businessmen?) and are scared to death there will be huge overpayment of rookies so they have invented some rules because of their own screwups. Dont pretend like the competition within the NBA is some sort of free market. An NBA team is like some sort of play-toy that does not behave as they would wish for some of these owners; like a little card game among rich boys that everyone gets to watch.

So how do you determine how much a player is worth? By how many games the team wins in the regular season? by playoff wins, points scored... how? THis is a team sport in a business that does not use free market rules from within.

And golfers dont have to necessarily win, they just have to be popular to make bucks off endorsements, revisit Michelle Wei... This is the basketball sports entertainment industry, their competitors are other team sports viewed on the tube, yet the NBA continues to pretend like the competition is amongst the separate NBA teams when they overpay scrubs and its convenient.

So just based on how many people watch certain players and teams I guess the payscale should go something like:

1. Lebron (see him play to see him fail)
2. Kobe

finish it... Duncan, Ginobili and Parker gotta be way, way down the list. Bonner should be paying the NBA to play.

pgardn
07-01-2011, 06:11 PM
nahhh...

Based on the love for Bonner on this board, he makes more than Manu. The number of people who watch Bonner in order to fantasize lynching Popovich for playing him might be larger than entire LA market.

xellos88330
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep. I don't care how much they make. Basketball is a great product. To me this question is kinda like asking, would you ever go buy a beer again. Beer is good, I like beer, the brewers are making tons of money too. I mean both beer and basketball are similar. Both are products that are gone in a short amount of time. Both make you feel good OR miserable. What is the difference?

underdawg
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
i don't mind buying tickets, merchandise, etc, but it pisses me off that these megamillionaire/billionaire owners get all these tax incentives

they get public $ to subsidize their expensive hobby. if tax $ is going to these sports teams, then the public should get a cut of ownership of the team. only fair

not familiar with this - please explain. Is that city taxes, property/state income taxes or federal income tax?

rasho8
07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I already paid for my season tickets. I better get some money back if we miss games.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:45 PM
The market determines how much they are worth or deserve. But the owners overpaid some horrible players (great businessmen?) and are scared to death there will be huge overpayment of rookies so they have invented some rules because of their own screwups. Dont pretend like the competition within the NBA is some sort of free market. An NBA team is like some sort of play-toy that does not behave as they would wish for some of these owners; like a little card game among rich boys that everyone gets to watch.

So how do you determine how much a player is worth? By how many games the team wins in the regular season? by playoff wins, points scored... how? THis is a team sport in a business that does not use free market rules from within.

And golfers dont have to necessarily win, they just have to be popular to make bucks off endorsements, revisit Michelle Wei... This is the basketball sports entertainment industry, their competitors are other team sports viewed on the tube, yet the NBA continues to pretend like the competition is amongst the separate NBA teams when they overpay scrubs and its convenient.

So just based on how many people watch certain players and teams I guess the payscale should go something like:

1. Lebron (see him play to see him fail)
2. Kobe

finish it... Duncan, Ginobili and Parker gotta be way, way down the list. Bonner should be paying the NBA to play.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
1. Yes I think all of those things are a start, especially with the amount of statistics you can use to determing each aspect of the game. They would all recieve a base + what ever individual and team bonuses there were + endorsements. Only the first two would count in a team salary though.

But does it really matter since they blow it all on illegitimate kids, and other things that make you hood rich?

2. I disagree with this. They are paid in reference to what they win. And yes, those with a strong fan base make more, but endorsements have nothing to do with salary caps and team payroll. Point is moot.

3. Yes, it sickens me to see Bonner out there. I am more athletic than him, and can play better defense, and would do it for less money. There's more guys like that in the league, and other leagues as well. It is extremely frustrating to know that I could F up equally as bad, yet he plays a game for a living and I make breakfast.

Blake
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
yep. 'Cept i said for a month. And while most have to drive, virtually none have to see the NBA and NFL.
Every once in a while an Erin Brockovich type story happens and the corps are beaten. But for the most part NBA and NFL Paying Customer just bends over and says "continue to insert" and "take my money".

Neh, the notion that the public would lockout the nba for a month is pretty laughable.

Thompson
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Holt took a risk to pay RJ in the hopes that it would put the Spurs over the top.

You can rail against owners in general but Holt deserves support for doing that, regardless of the fact it hasn't worked out the way we'd hoped.

Russ
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Holt took a risk to pay RJ in the hopes that it would put the Spurs over the top.

You can rail against owners in general but Holt deserves support for doing that, regardless of the fact it hasn't worked out the way we'd hoped.

Yep. (or is it qft or something like that?)

Fabbs
07-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Why? After cheapskating on Scola he acquires Dicks ridiculous contract.
No one with enough basketball smarts to do some research ahead of time to know it wouldn't work out? Even if the giving-it-a shot-with-Dick didn't work out the 1st time, the new extended contract is "zero basketball i.q." material.

So you're gonna keep buying tics?

tmtcsc
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I stopped my season tickets 2 years ago and never looked back. I saw all four Championships and the following seasons' Ring ceremonies and banner raisings. I'm still a huge fan but I have no regrets. I've saved myself over $10,000 by staying at home and watching the mediocrity from home.

No Bruce Bowen, No Robert Horry...losing those 2 veterans really hurt. You just don't replace players like that over night. It was time for them to move on but it dropped us a few notches. We haven't been able to replace either player effectively.

pgardn
07-03-2011, 08:20 AM
1. Yes I think all of those things are a start, especially with the amount of statistics you can use to determing each aspect of the game. They would all recieve a base + what ever individual and team bonuses there were + endorsements. Only the first two would count in a team salary though.

But does it really matter since they blow it all on illegitimate kids, and other things that make you hood rich?

2. I disagree with this. They are paid in reference to what they win. And yes, those with a strong fan base make more, but endorsements have nothing to do with salary caps and team payroll. Point is moot.

3. Yes, it sickens me to see Bonner out there. I am more athletic than him, and can play better defense, and would do it for less money. There's more guys like that in the league, and other leagues as well. It is extremely frustrating to know that I could F up equally as bad, yet he plays a game for a living and I make breakfast.

So since I helped you, spell it out clearly? How do you determine how much a player is worth?

Nice... ya little racist punk.

temujin
07-04-2011, 03:06 AM

I guess you work for free.

spurs2112
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
3. Yes, it sickens me to see Bonner out there. I am more athletic than him, and can play better defense, and would do it for less money. There's more guys like that in the league, and other leagues as well. It is extremely frustrating to know that I could F up equally as bad, yet he plays a game for a living and I make breakfast.[/QUOTE]

Whats funny too is he's the vice president of the NBA's Player Association. Of course he's gonna do all he can so scrubs like him get paid.

DesignatedT
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
yes.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
They're millionaires because 99.9% of the people on earth can't do what they do. They're paid accordingly. Basic supply and demand. What the fuck are you bitching about?

Do you similarly whine about not using computer software, purchasing gas, etc. because the CEOs are billionaires? Sometimes the lack of logic of "fans" amazes me.

Fabbs
07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I stopped my season tickets 2 years ago and never looked back. I saw all four Championships and the following seasons' Ring ceremonies and banner raisings. I'm still a huge fan but I have no regrets. I've saved myself over $10,000 by staying at home and watching the mediocrity from home.

No Bruce Bowen, No Robert Horry...losing those 2 veterans really hurt. You just don't replace players like that over night. It was time for them to move on but it dropped us a few notches. We haven't been able to replace either player effectively.
A paying customer weighs in. Season ticket holder at that.
With a solid take.
Thank you. :toast

Cane
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
But what about the working class that depend on the NBA? Vendors and the lucky S.O.B's working for the Spurs organization get the worst end of the lockout.

Fabbs
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
But what about the working class that depend on the NBA? Vendors and the lucky S.O.B's working for the Spurs organization get the worst end of the lockout.
What will the billionaire owners and millionaire players be doing for them? Probably nothing. As it is what do the concessionaires, the ones who actually run the $9 beers down to the seats make anyways? Minimum wage?

Are Spurs org fulltime workers docked pay during the workout? Seems like the NFL has a lot on half pay.

Fabbs
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Have you purchased, will you continue to purchase tickets?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Have you ever purchased tickets?

rasho8
07-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't plan on stopping my season ticket purchases any time soon. Even if we loose I love the Spurs and have no problem paying to support them. If there is a lockout though I better get a steep fucking discount next year... or my money back this year.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
This is my last season as a season ticket holder. I use to be able to buy extra tickets for the marquee games like Lakers, Heat and Mavs at a discounted rate. Now we pay regular prices as non-season ticket holders (actually higher prices since the Spurs have doubled prices for those games). Also, renewal gifts use to be pretty cool but for the past several years they've been giving us clocks, cups, small backpacks, etc. Pretty much I could find those type of items from the Dollar Store. Finally, I had asked my Spurs rep for some upgrades to the last game of the season against the Jazz (keep in mind I had not asked my rep for anything the whole year) and she asked me how much money I wanted to spend. I mean 'Really?' it was the last game of the season and not even sold out since the playoff matchups had already been set.
So I will keep my $3000 and just go to games that interest me. Its probably cheaper that way. Plus, I'd much rather watch the game on my 61 inch widescreen HD television.

Dex
07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Going to the games is a lot of fun and, of course, is all about the experience. Nothing is quite like it.

At the same time, as a casual basketball viewer, I'd rather have the ability to eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink, smoke what I want to smoke, and enjoy the game with a close-up view, instant replays, and color commentary on my big screen.

When I go to the games, I get so wrapped up in taking things in (or just dealing with things like getting to your seat, going to the restrooms, standing in line for beer, etc..) that I miss half of the damn game.

rascal
07-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I won't buy a single NBA ticket.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2011, 06:13 PM
You're amazing.

rascal
07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
You're amazing.

A waste of money. It is much better watching it on TV.

Fabbs
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Have you ever purchased tickets?
Season tickets to Chargers in the uber fail 14-2 Marty playoff choke year.
Playoff failure vs Jets 2009-10.
Numerous single games I've been comped, including the 33-7 asswhacking of Patriots.

About a half dozen Spurs games. Payed megabucks for Spurs-Lakers at Staples in 2004. Ah the pain.

Haven't paid a dime for either one of these mismanaged teams since 2007. Nor will i in the upcoming season barring both head coaches being replaced, that just for starters.

NoWhereMan
07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
No, I won't pay.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Numerous single games I've been comped, including the 33-7 asswhacking of Patriots.

About a half dozen Spurs games. Payed megabucks for Spurs-Lakers at Staples in 2004. Ah the pain.

Haven't paid a dime for either one of these mismanaged teams since 2007. Nor will i in the upcoming season barring both head coaches being replaced, that just for starters.Why conflate this thread with football?

I'm sure the Spurs miss your money terribly.

Fabbs
07-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Why conflate this thread with football?

You're the only one bloated and puffy about it.
Millionaires and billionaires in very similar contract squabble until a few days ago.
Easily connected. Why meddle with your attempted thought control/o.c. post addiction b.s.?

I'm sure the Spurs miss your money terribly.
I'm sure someone out there cares you speculate the Spurs will miss my money terribly. :lol

ChumpDumper
07-29-2011, 01:28 PM
You're the only one bloated and puffy about it.
Millionaires and billionaires in very similar contract squabble until a few days ago.
Easily connected. Why meddle with your attempted thought control/o.c. post addiction b.s.?Why do you try to control the thoughts and actions of sports fans?

I'm sure someone out there cares you speculate the Spurs will miss my money terribly. :lolAbout as many that care about your anti-management "protests."

Blake
07-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Haven't paid a dime for either one of these mismanaged teams since 2007. Nor will i in the upcoming season barring both head coaches being replaced, that just for starters.

Fabbs would rather help NFL millionaires than NBA millionaires.

Makes perfect Fabb sense

Fabbs
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Fabbs would rather help NFL millionaires than NBA millionaires.

Makes perfect Fabb sense
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/1/14/20091009163519!Ralph_Wiggum.png
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Fabbs lives in San Diego and it's a 10 minute ride to the Chargers games vs 8 hours with traffic round trip to Staples Center for NBA games.
There there Blakey.

SequSpur
08-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Hey, this is a good argument actually. it's a shame some of you have to fuck up some good dialogue.

I used to be a full season ticket holder but the 4 years ago, I switched to a 25 game holder then now just the weekend games (10).

I do believe this is my last year also. I have decent seats, but it's really a nuisance to go to a game. My drive is about 30 minutes, you have to pay $10 to park and walk a quarter mile to get to the front door.

Halftime entertainment has resorted to daycare. It's a shame that a multi billion dollar company can't do something more spectacular.

Popovich is a great coach, but he just fucking drains me and probably most of you.

Watching Bonner get minutes, really, I mean really makes me fucking angry.

I am just done with it. I will watch the good games, but I seriously doubt that I renew.

the Lebron circus really just pushed me over the edge and killed my interest in this shit.

WWF.

Fabbs
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks SS.

NBA leads in highest average salary
NEW YORK

The NBA rewards its players with the highest average earnings in global sport, researchers revealed Friday.

The basketball stars get an average of $4.79 million per year or $92,199 per week, sportingintelligence.com said.

whole article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-leads-world-in-average-player-salary-042211

FuzzyLumpkins
08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks SS.

NBA leads in highest average salary
NEW YORK

The NBA rewards its players with the highest average earnings in global sport, researchers revealed Friday.

The basketball stars get an average of $4.79 million per year or $92,199 per week, sportingintelligence.com said.

whole article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-leads-world-in-average-player-salary-042211

NBA Roster 15 players
NFL Roster 23 players
MLB Roster 25 players
NFL Roster 53 players

Blake
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
There there Blakey.

you would help the NBA millionaires if you lived closer?

if so, then why are you bitching?

Ginobilly
08-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey, this is a good argument actually. it's a shame some of you have to fuck up some good dialogue.

I used to be a full season ticket holder but the 4 years ago, I switched to a 25 game holder then now just the weekend games (10).

I do believe this is my last year also. I have decent seats, but it's really a nuisance to go to a game. My drive is about 30 minutes, you have to pay $10 to park and walk a quarter mile to get to the front door.

Halftime entertainment has resorted to daycare. It's a shame that a multi billion dollar company can't do something more spectacular.

Popovich is a great coach, but he just fucking drains me and probably most of you.

Watching Bonner get minutes, really, I mean really makes me fucking angry.

I am just done with it. I will watch the good games, but I seriously doubt that I renew.

the Lebron circus really just pushed me over the edge and killed my interest in this shit.

WWF.

To me this is one of the main reasons that says that the Spurs and Pop aren't and haven't been serious about a championship run since 2007.

Fabbs
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
you would help the NBA millionaires if you lived closer?

if so, then why am I bitching?
Clippers have a promotion that is equal to or even exceeds the Spurs $10 promotion. If i lived near Staples and could get good seats at the Clipps $10 deal i would go. As to this giving the millionaires and billionaires "help", i think the $10 good seat promotions they not only do not make money, but lose money. Since they have costs with putting a game on. So if i do not buy any of their $9 beers and $8 hot dogs, but instead sneak some great whiskey in to share with Sequ, yeah it could turn out good.

Blake
08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Clippers have a promotion that is equal to or even exceeds the Spurs $10 promotion. If i lived near Staples and could get good seats at the Clipps $10 deal i would go. As to this giving the millionaires and billionaires "help", i think the $10 good seat promotions they not only do not make money, but lose money. Since they have costs with putting a game on. So if i do not buy any of their $9 beers and $8 hot dogs, but instead sneak some great whiskey in to share with Sequ, yeah it could turn out good.

so if you feel that the owners aren't making a profit, then buying a $10 ticket isn't really helping them out.

lol

Fabbs
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
so if you feel that the owners aren't making a profit, then buying a $10 ticket isn't really helping them out.
lol
http://englishvg1.wikispaces.com/file/view/ralph_nose.gif/33559141/ralph_nose.gif

It's called a "loss leader". Grocery stores use them all the time. They will have a product priced at below their cost, knowing that all the other stuff you buy above cost will end up in profit.

Lets try another one Blakey. Microsoft's Xbox video game system, which was sold at a loss of more than $100 per unit to create more potential to profit from the sale of higher-margin video games.

So even if you and Chumpy were to go together to a $10 Spurs game, the money you spent on cotton candy, Matt Bonner blankets and jerseys, and numerous hot dogs would end up in a nice profit for the Spurs.

Veterinarian.
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/975/975962/line-o-rama-ralph-wiggum-20090423033616786-000.jpg

i love talking to my Blake account

ChumpDumper
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/e/e4/Ralph.gif

I'm hungry.Flabbs lacks the self control to keep his piehole unpied for three hours. I don't.

Blake
08-03-2011, 03:45 PM
It's called a "loss leader". Grocery stores use them all the time. They will have a product priced at below their cost, knowing that all the other stuff you buy above cost will end up in profit.

Lets try another one Blakey. Microsoft's Xbox video game system, which was sold at a loss of more than $100 per unit to create more potential to profit from the sale of higher-margin video games.

So even if you and Chumpy were to go together to a $10 Spurs game, the money you spent on cotton candy, Matt Bonner blankets and jerseys, and numerous hot dogs would end up in a nice profit for the Spurs.

so you are suggesting that selling a $10 ticket is the same as not selling it.

k.

Fabbs
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
does our sharing each other hot dogs keep costs down?
Depending on how often or not you share each others hot dogs, it might.
Sounds like you do it as often as you can, including at Spurs games.
So, no.

Blake
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Depending on how often or not you share each others hot dogs, it might.
Sounds like you do it as often as you can, including at Spurs games.
So, no.

I didnt bring up hot dogs. You did.

It's pretty obvious you think that selling the ticket for $10 with no concessions bought is the same to an NBA owner as not selling the ticket at all.

I think it's pretty obvious that giving $10 to the owner is helping him/her.

Fabbs
08-03-2011, 06:03 PM
No, you and Humpy brought it up.

It's pretty obvious you think that selling the ticket for $10 with no concessions bought is the same to an NBA owner as not selling the ticket at all.

I think it's pretty obvious that giving $10 to the owner is helping him/her.

Some day you will understand loss leader strategy. Today is not that day.

ChumpDumper
08-03-2011, 06:35 PM

No, you and Humpy brought it up.

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/975/975962/line-o-rama-ralph-wiggum-20090423033812157-000.jpg

Blake
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
:lol

Blake
08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Some day you will understand loss leader strategy. Today is not that day.

Doubtful you will ever admit that you helped the millionaires.

Fabbs
08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
When Fabbs wrote about Blakey and I enjoying each others hot dogs as we were wrapped in our Matt Bonner blanket, he wasn't talking about the concessionaire $9 hot dogs. The owners wouldn't profit off our hot dogs being together. :cry:cry and i worked 4 hours on this post. I really thought i had Fabbs. :cry:cry
There there Chumpy. :lol

Fabbs
08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Doubtful you will ever admit that you helped the millionaires.
One day you'll understand "loss leader". Maybe today will be the day. :lol

Blake
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
One day you'll understand "loss leader". Maybe today will be the day. :lol

You don't seem to understand that $10 > $0.

Fabbs
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
The owners get to put the game on for free. There are no costs with electricity, water, security, part time staff they rip off for minimum wage, salaried employees, and lets not forget those millionaire players.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/1/14/20091009163519!Ralph_Wiggum.png

Blake
08-04-2011, 09:21 AM
$10=$0

Fabbs
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I still don't get it and Chumpy is not coming to my rescue.
Blakey.
10>0 yes.
10<12. Can we agree on that?

Lets give you another loss leader example. Chumpy is freshening up after you two got back from a Spurs game in which you paid $10 for a seat in the promotional seats, but bought matching Matt Bonner jerseys, a blanket, Chump had two pink cocktails etc, totalling $182. But enough of the game. Chump comes out of his closet and says "The PollyAnna Poppers bi-annual meeting is coming up, and i want to look dashing!" He asks you if the outfit he just changed into would look good with a tourmaline.

to be continued....

Axe Murderer
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
i love Fabbs threads :lol

Blake
08-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Blakey.
10>0 yes.

Agreed.

Can we also agree that giving an NBA team $10 for a ticket helps them more than giving them $0?

10<12. Can we agree on that?

sure, but where are you getting 12 from?

Is it the same place you pulled the hot dogs from?

Veterinarian.
08-04-2011, 10:09 AM
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons3/456/4565201/46_2009/24de94b01907a380_simpsons-haha.jpg

I've completely lost this argument. Maybe if I make up some stupid fairy tale involving Matt Bonner blankets, hot dogs, ChumpDumper, and Blake I can win everybody over!

Fabbs
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Agreed.

Can we also agree that giving an NBA team $10 for a ticket helps them more than giving them $0?

sure, but where are you getting 12 from?

Is it the same place you pulled the hot dogs from?
Yes the $10 helps them more them zero. But it might not profit them at all. It most likely is -a loss leader.

The "10 < 12" i am speculating as to what it costs the owner to put on a single game. Maybe we could get some RealSpurs in a position to know weigh in with financial production facts.
As stated, the costs associated with running the building, paying all employees including not only Timmy Dunks Manu French Poodle and Soft Dick but also Matty Bonner (at 3 mil per year that's how much per game), anywho I'm guessing it may well exceed the $10 per seat paid by those utilizing the promo seats. If they bought nothing else including the ridiculous parking fees (got dropped off, whatever), would HoltCat make money off that $10 seat or lose money? (Of course he makes money off the higher prices seats and all the consession crap and products sold, that's not what I'm asking.)

Lastly i have not, am not, and never will be in a place to pull your and/or Coach Rump Humpers hot dogs.

ChumpDumper
08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pics/others/ralphwiggumlyingdown.gif
Oh shit! I brought up hot dogs!

I know -- I'll start talking about penises now! My go to move!

Axe Murderer
08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/979/979892/ralph-wiggum-20090505044533791-000.jpg

My hot dog stories aren't getting any laughs!

Fabbs
08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
When NBA player(s) have the option of having to think about whether or not they will go overseas to play for 500K+ a month, you know these asstards have it made financially.

Fabbs
10-16-2011, 09:07 PM
They're missing games now. (Or at best will reschedule them in the event of some mediation breakthru soon.)
To games you may have had/will have had a ticket to.

You gonna still buy tickets the same as always once they settle?

spurs10
10-16-2011, 09:51 PM
It's hard to say, though I'm not feeling real good about spending a lot of money on tickets right now. A good seat to an off night Kings game will run about $100 . Seeing Manu and Tim will probably get me there, as we won't have the chance before long. In fact if things continue as they are, and the way I suspect they will continue, we might not being seeing any basketball for a very long time. The owners have no reason to have a season if they really are losing millions a year per team. That's a lot of Mercedes and caviar.

baseline bum
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Going to the games is a lot of fun and, of course, is all about the experience. Nothing is quite like it.

At the same time, as a casual basketball viewer, I'd rather have the ability to eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink, smoke what I want to smoke, and enjoy the game with a close-up view, instant replays, and color commentary on my big screen.

I don't think it's all the experience. If you get upper lower level or upper level seats you can really see the plays develop in a way you can't when you're watching a camera that's just following the ball and at a lousy low angle side view that doesn't show the space on the floor well. You can pay attention to guys boxing out, how shooters fan out to spread the floor, etc at the game and in mid/upper level seats. Don't get me wrong; sitting courtside is amazing too, as you see just how physical the game is and what ridiculous athletes these guys are, but you can really appreciate the chess match higher up. If the cable companies developed a way where you could choose various cameras with hotkeys on a keyboard or a remote then watching at home would almost certainly be superior for the reasons you mentioned, but as of now I don't think they outweigh the positives of being there.

ALVAREZ6
10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
The majority of NBA players go broke relatively soon because the majority of NBA players are fucking retarded. Most lack common sense, they cannot manage large sums of money. Or any sums of money. They cannot do things that require some thought.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Spurs season ticket holders please ask for refunds and lets have the owners giving us back money. Time to hit owners in the pocketbooks.

dbestpro
10-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd rather see the players hit in the pocketbooks. Holt has CAT so he's gonna get his regardless.

GrandeDavid
10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
There may be a temporary attendance decline, but the NBA front office and their marketing gurus will make sure that most fans come back to attend games. They'll probably offer some fluff and maybe some promotional junk, and yes, fans will come back, by and large. I usually only attend about three games per year due to a combination of my busy schedule, the phatness of my huge LED TV and also the high ticket prices. I'll usually invest in quality tickets for two or three games for the experience and for my little girl to enjoy the experience. But I honestly don't think that the lockout would deter me any more over the long haul.

shraediggz
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
@ Fabbs and Blake... I just had to chime in about the whole "You don't seem to understand that $10 > $0. " debate.

I was sitting in a cafe style restaurant in Amsterdam one day. A friend brought me there promising a great tasting yet affordable meal. After looking over the menu, I noticed that 1) meals were dead cheap, and 2) drinks weren't. So I went ahead and ordered the lasagna, but when the owner came around to take my order, he chastised me for sticking with water.

You know what he said to me? No lie... I tell him I'm ordering water with my meal and he says something like; "you kidding me, water? Look at the food prices on my menu, you think I make my money selling lasagna's, order a damn drink and help me out a little here".

So I ordered a damn drink, brought my overall tab to what it should have been (if I had ordered the same elsewhere) and the owner more or less probably broke even... judging by what others had at their tables (pitchers of beer and the likes) it's clear that the owner was using cheap eats to bring in the customers.

And that's just it Blake... NBA owners don't sell tickets at $10 to MAKE money, or break even. You don't pay $10 at halftime to go sit in the empty court side seat just because it's empty and your offer is greater than nothing.... NBA owners sell tickets at $10 to bring people who wouldn't normally afford themselves the luxury of seeing a live game in hopes that them being in the arena will translate to other sales... be it game programs, perhaps a jersey sale, some popcorn or hot-dogs... That's why sometimes you'll see family packages for $75 (for 2 adults, 2 kids and including some concessions.)...

Yes $10 is greater than 0... but judging at the amount of empty $100 and $80 seats there are on any given game night, it should be obvious that Owners aren't afraid of a few empty seats so long as doing so keeps the value of the filled ones up!

Aside from that, as much as one would want to piss on this thread simply because a certain someone started it, doesn't make it any less of a viable discussion... for me, it's a good discussion to have. And for the record... the last time I spent money on tickets was back in 2007, games one and two of the finals... Having to pay nearly $300 a pop for scalped tickets... I probably wouldn't do it again. I paid for the experience. Appreciated the chance to see them live... and unless I get a chance to watch my team close out a finals on their home floor.... I'd be just as happy to watch them from home, or even better, at a bar (give money to the guys who need it more, independent pubs/businesses who support the spurs!).

Fabbs
11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
^^ a quality post by shraediggz offsets any amount of spam/weak posts by Multitrolls.

Well they've now jacked with at least 10 games.......

DMC
11-12-2011, 12:16 AM
@ Fabbs and Blake... I just had to chime in about the whole "You don't seem to understand that $10 > $0. " debate.

I was sitting in a cafe style restaurant in Amsterdam one day. A friend brought me there promising a great tasting yet affordable meal. After looking over the menu, I noticed that 1) meals were dead cheap, and 2) drinks weren't. So I went ahead and ordered the lasagna, but when the owner came around to take my order, he chastised me for sticking with water.

You know what he said to me? No lie... I tell him I'm ordering water with my meal and he says something like; "you kidding me, water? Look at the food prices on my menu, you think I make my money selling lasagna's, order a damn drink and help me out a little here".

So I ordered a damn drink, brought my overall tab to what it should have been (if I had ordered the same elsewhere) and the owner more or less probably broke even... judging by what others had at their tables (pitchers of beer and the likes) it's clear that the owner was using cheap eats to bring in the customers.

And that's just it Blake... NBA owners don't sell tickets at $10 to MAKE money, or break even. You don't pay $10 at halftime to go sit in the empty court side seat just because it's empty and your offer is greater than nothing.... NBA owners sell tickets at $10 to bring people who wouldn't normally afford themselves the luxury of seeing a live game in hopes that them being in the arena will translate to other sales... be it game programs, perhaps a jersey sale, some popcorn or hot-dogs... That's why sometimes you'll see family packages for $75 (for 2 adults, 2 kids and including some concessions.)...

Yes $10 is greater than 0... but judging at the amount of empty $100 and $80 seats there are on any given game night, it should be obvious that Owners aren't afraid of a few empty seats so long as doing so keeps the value of the filled ones up!

Aside from that, as much as one would want to piss on this thread simply because a certain someone started it, doesn't make it any less of a viable discussion... for me, it's a good discussion to have. And for the record... the last time I spent money on tickets was back in 2007, games one and two of the finals... Having to pay nearly $300 a pop for scalped tickets... I probably wouldn't do it again. I paid for the experience. Appreciated the chance to see them live... and unless I get a chance to watch my team close out a finals on their home floor.... I'd be just as happy to watch them from home, or even better, at a bar (give money to the guys who need it more, independent pubs/businesses who support the spurs!).
:toast

Fabbs
11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Transfered over today from here: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186577

ElNono
I hate there's no games right now... but, fan's opinion never mattered in all this, so what are we supposed to do?

After noticing neither side really gave two shits, I decided not to spend money on tickets this season. We normally spend about $500-$600 in tickets for two games while the Spurs are in town. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think they earned it.

spurs10
I hear ya. 5 or 6 hundred bucks is a lot to spend for many people. The NBA is in for a rude awakening when fans like myself, and obvious you and yours, are fed up with their bullshit. I applaud anyone that stands up to bully pulpit tactics, but I'll applaud from in front of my television if they ever start playing again.

dbestpro
11-15-2011, 07:31 PM
If the players some how win their lawsuit and are able to return more arrogant than ever to the court, I think it might be a long time before I take my son to another NBA game.

Mel_13
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
If the players some how win their lawsuit and are able to return more arrogant than ever to the court, I think it might be a long time before I take my son to another NBA game.

But if they lose and are forced to take less than was available before the lawsuit, then you'll take him?

Fabbs
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
But if they lose and are forced to take less than was available before the lawsuit, then you'll take him?
Don't make us think about an NBA player having to take less to feed his family then the current average of 5 million a year. :cry

baseline bum
11-15-2011, 08:07 PM
So does Fabbs think ticket prices go down if the players take it in the ass?

Jacob1983
11-16-2011, 03:42 AM
If the whole season is cancelled, the price of tickets should be cut in half as gift to the fans. These greedy players and owners need to be taught some tough love.

Fabbs
12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I'll consider a "loss leader" $10 or $15 each type seat to a Clippers game now that they appear to be at least playoff worthy. Maybe much better.

But that's it.

Are you stickin to your plans now that the season is on?

rascal
12-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Even by watching a game on TV you are indirectly giving money to them. If you get what you want out of the transaction, what's the problem? I mean, I wouldn't approve if SS&E was funding Al Qaeda or something like that, and fans do seem to vote with their feet sometimes (Shinn comes to mind), but making blanket judgments about spending habits could be overthinking it a bit.

How is watching a game indirectly giving them money?
How do they know I have my TV set on and watching the game?
Ratings are figured with surveys and if I don't report or fill out the survey forms they mail out randomly they have no idea what I am watching.

rascal
12-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I have gone to games and it just wasn't all that great.
I would rather see it on TV. Much more comfortable and you can see the game much better. The seats up close are just too expensive for the average fan.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
How is watching a game indirectly giving them money?
How do they know I have my TV set on and watching the game?
Ratings are figured with surveys and if I don't report or fill out the survey forms they mail out randomly they have no idea what I am watching.Seriously?

You still think it's 1970?

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I have gone to games and it just wasn't all that great.
I would rather see it on TV. Much more comfortable and you can see the game much better. The seats up close are just too expensive for the average fan.rascal, is there anything in the world you actually like?

rascal
12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Seriously?

Nielson still sends out survey forms.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Nielson still sends out survey forms.How do you watch Fox Sports SW?

rascal
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Seriously?

You haven't answered the ?.

rascal
12-23-2011, 05:52 PM
How do you watch Fox Sports SW?

I don't watch Fox Sports SW. I live in connecticut

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't watch Fox Sports SW. I live in connecticutHow do you watch ESPN or TNT?

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Re: Helping ignorant attention whores. Do you read/will you continue to read and post in Fabbs threads?

rascal
12-23-2011, 06:40 PM
How do you watch ESPN or TNT?

Cable TV

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Cable TVDo you have a digital set top box?

rascal
12-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Do you have a digital set top box?

I have a box from the cable company but I don't know that you call it a digital set top box.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a box from the cable company but I don't know that you call it a digital set top box.I will call it a digital set top box.

Using that box, the cable company knows exactly what you are watching and when you are watching it. You can bet the content providers get that information one way or another.

rascal
12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
It depends on the box your using.
Some boxes maintain a subscribed list in the actual box.
When you first plug up the box it contacts the cable company, gives its serial/id numbers and retrieves the list of channels you pay for. It updates the list every few hours/days.

Then when you change the channel the box compares the internal list.
The cable company wouldn't know what channels you are watching, just what you are subscribed to.

The other kind of box, doesn't maintain an internal list. Instead when you change the channel, it contacts the cable company, asks it if that channel is one of the channels you pay for and either approves or denies your request to watch the channel.

That kind of box allows the cable company to know exactly what channels you are watching and at what times.

Most companies use the first kind of box, the second one causes lots of network traffic and makes changing the channel slower, since the box has to get approval on every channel change.

I found this. I would have the first box, the more common box, I don't suscribe to any pay channels. This makes sense so not entirely true what you say.

rascal
12-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Also found this.

How do the "TV Networks" know what channel I am watching and how do they determing how many people are watching a show?

Frequently a TV Program (Such as The Oreilly Factor) will say "X" number of million people watched their program and "X" number were watching CNN or MSNBC. How is this data collected? Do cable companies capture this data and feed it to some place that collects this info?

They Don't Unless you tell them. Those ratings typically refer to Nielsen Ratings. Nielsen is a company that collects data about what people are watching in one of two ways: asking people through surveys, and installing boxes in the home that record what you are watching.

Some friends of mine were a Nielsen family for a while. They got some nifty benefits out of the deal, such as discounts on a new TV and some free stuff from their Nielsen representative. However, in the end they decided it was more trouble than it was worth. The box connected to their TV was very needy. They would have to get up and push a button every time they changed channels, and I think they also needed to get up and push the button every once in a while just to let Nielsen know they were still watching, even if they didn't change the channel for a while.

Every night the data collected by the box is sent to Nielsen over the phone line, like fax or internet.

So unless you participate in a Nielsen or other rating program, no one has any idea what you are watching.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Is that Yahoo answers?

ChumpDumper
12-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Nielsen doesn't have access to set top data, but that they are trying to get it tells me that the set top boxes get them. And I really can't see that Time-Warner Cable would just sit on that information and not share it with TNT or any other broadcaster owned by the same company.

Obstructed_View
12-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Cable companies know exactly how many people are tuned into a given channel at a given time. The local cable company in Waco used to have a counter at their home office in like 1986. There's no regulation I know of that requires they keep any of that information private. I'm not sure Nielsen isn't obsolete in a lot of ways. The only sure way for people not to know what you're watching is to capture it over the air.

Fabbs
03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
What are y'all paying so far?

Still getting those $1 tickets off Stub Hub?

cheguevara
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
by buying an ipad/iphone you are helping millionaires. Same thing if you go to BK or Mcdonalds.

If you want to live you gonna be helpoing milllionaires. Unless you are an amish

that being said. I stop at paying for content(music/movies/tv) when you can get it for free (and no it's not stealing :lol) go for it

mexicanjunior
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
What are y'all paying so far?

Still getting those $1 tickets off Stub Hub?

Stubhub tickets to tonight's game were about 10 bucks each.

Fabbs
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Stubble is down to 3 bucks now. Lots of them.

If you buy a $3 Balconey ticket can you move in closer to an empty seat? Or do the arena dogs get you?

Keepin' it real
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Stubble is down to 3 bucks now. Lots of them.

If you buy a $3 Balconey ticket can you move in closer to an empty seat? Or do the arena dogs get you?

Those $3 seats are at the top of the upper deck. Who the hell wants to sit up there? Lower level seats on stubhub are still pricey.

Fabbs
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Those $3 seats are at the top of the upper deck. Who the hell wants to sit up there? Lower level seats on stubhub are still pricey.
Lower 107 is *down* to $60.
The q was can one move down to an empty seat from the balconey.
Are the balconeys that bad?

Blake
03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
by buying an ipad/iphone you are helping millionaires. Same thing if you go to BK or Mcdonalds.

If you want to live you gonna be helpoing milllionaires. Unless you are an amish

that being said. I stop at paying for content(music/movies/tv) when you can get it for free (and no it's not stealing :lol) go for it

Illegal downloading?

Yeah, it's stealing and no, it doesn't help millionaires

Keepin' it real
03-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Lower 107 is *down* to $60.
The q was can one move down to an empty seat from the balconey.
Are the balconeys that bad?

That's a decent price for lower level.

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Apparently, Spurs tickets are among the least wanted (and least expensive on the secondary market) in the league:

http://deadspin.com/5895903/the-spurs-may-be-near-the-top-of-the-nba-but-their-tickets-are-in-the-cellar

FromWayDowntown
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Apparently, Spurs tickets are among the least wanted (and least expensive on the secondary market) in the league:

http://deadspin.com/5895903/the-spurs-may-be-near-the-top-of-the-nba-but-their-tickets-are-in-the-cellar

pgardn
03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Ticket prices should be closely related to the wealth of the viewing public in the surrounding area, (ie can get to the game). Its a big surprise to me that there are so many loyal relatively low income families that have season tickets for their sole form of entertainment.

It should be no surprise San Antonio has very low ticket prices. We have to be one of the poorest cities in the NBA (NO as well). And even if you do get to the game, you gotta park, or if you ride transit, then you enter the ATT center to a 6 dollar beer... no thanks.

Want a dead NBA. Stream the game and purposely boycott the companies advertising during the game if they feed in local or national commercials during the stream.

Fabbs
04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
What are tickets to Wed night vs the Lameshow going for?
Fri April 20th also.

This is a game i wouldn't mind seeing fellow Spurses pay a little more to rock the ATT dome. Last few years seeing phaggot LakerFan sitting in courtside seats cheering on Head Phaggot #24 was a sad testimony to how far the mighty Spurs and the NBA had dropped.

Right the wrong!

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
For the same opponent, Friday night games (the 20th) will always generate greater demand than Wednesday night games (the 11th).

http://www.stubhub.com/san-antonio-spurs-tickets

I'm definitely going to Wednesday's game.