PDA

View Full Version : If the lock out last all season,

Big Empty
07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Then how does the draft work? Is there even a draft and is it the same order?

Big Empty
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
sorry if i shoulda posted this in another thread. i know i know im an asshole

lmbebo
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
my guess is a lottery. 1 ball each Knicks end up with the first pick ...

Bruno
07-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Nobody knows how the draft would go if next season is canceled. If there is still a lockout after the deadline to play a 2011-2012 season, the NBA will decide what to do with the draft.

Big Empty
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I dont think the lockout will last all season but if it did the nba could make a big telelvised event out of the draft order

Vic Petro
07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
my guess is a lottery. 1 ball each Knicks end up with the first pick ...

If there was a league-wide lottery and the Spurs won, it would be the funniest thing I've ever seen. We would be the Michael Jordan of lotteries. What if Miami won it though? :depressed

Fun to think about, however unlikely.

ashbeeigh
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh my god. Please don't even talk about this. I already need to go to Lock-Out Rehab and it hasn't even been 24 hours.

velik_m
07-02-2011, 12:31 AM
I think in NHL it was the same order repeated.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I think in NHL it was the same order repeated.

That would be crap. Since CLE had the LAC #1 pick, that would give the LAC another chance to totally screw up a high pick or ruin a good player.

I think they should do it serpentine to last year, you know, start with #30 and work backwards. :hat

Muser
07-02-2011, 09:58 AM
make it interesting and give every team one ball.

DMC
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Do a "red rover red rover" at half time and call the other team's best player over. If he cannot break through, you have him for the 3rd quarter.

baseline bum
07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
It would be awesome if it was an equally-weighted lottery. What a clusterfuck if the Spurs penalty for having one good regular season is to pick 29th two years in a row.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
If the lockout is long enough to cancel the full season, it's likely that there will still have a lockout at the start of the draft process. It would be schizophrenic for the NBA to ask players to leave college to be unemployed.

The most logical would be to do a small draft with automatically eligible players (college seniors, international players born in 1990 and American players that have turned pro overseas). Since the draft pool would be smaller than usual, you can imagine an one round draft.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
If the lockout is long enough to cancel the full season, it's likely that there will still have a lockout at the start of the draft process. It would be schizophrenic for the NBA to ask players to leave college to be unemployed.

Uh, that's what happened this year. It's actually MORE likely that there will be some basketball in 2011-2012 than it is for this coming season. Even if the whole season is dumped, they'd NEVER go two seasons. Not even the NHL was that stupid.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Uh, that's what happened this year.

Uh, no. There wasn't a lockout during this year draft process.

baseline bum
07-02-2011, 03:55 PM

It doesn't seem like there is much difference from that and what this year's draft looked like. I know the NBA wasn't technically imposing a lockout then, but everyone knew it was coming and that it would be long.

The most logical would be to do a small draft with automatically eligible players (college seniors, international players born in 1990 and American players that have turned pro overseas). Since the draft pool would be smaller than usual, you can imagine an one round draft.

I can't see the NBA doing that. There is no way the owners will give up the ability to keep all their 1st round draft picks for 4 years. I cannot see any circumstance the players' association lets that rule stay without having the first two years guaranteed. Doing the draft like that would ensure there would be nothing but low-end talent on guaranteed deals.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Uh, no. There wasn't a lockout during this year draft process.

Uh, it was about 99% going to happen. Most of the real draft talent thought so, and stayed in school.

De Facto, no difference. If you didn't see one happening, you weren't paying attention. Doesn't matter if it was already on or not. The NFL is probably a better example. They actually drafted during their lockout.

There will be a 2012 NBA draft. If the lockout is still on? All the more reason. The owners will be desperate for some sort of event to happen other than more negotiations.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 04:23 PM
It doesn't seem like there is much difference from that and what this year's draft looked like. I know the NBA wasn't technically imposing a lockout then, but everyone knew it was coming and that it would be long.

These were a CBA ruining during this year draft process. Owners had to respect it and couldn't change draft rules.

I can't see the NBA doing that. There is no way the owners will give up the ability to keep all their 1st round draft picks for 4 years. I cannot see any circumstance the players' association lets that rule stay without having the first two years guaranteed. Doing the draft like that would ensure there would be nothing but low-end talent on guaranteed deals.

The salary structure would be different than in a usual draft.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
There will be a 2012 NBA draft. If the lockout is still on? All the more reason. The owners will be desperate for some sort of event to happen other than more negotiations.

I don't think owners would be thrilled with adding even more salaries. Doing a 2012 draft without underclassmen would be an easy way to reduce payrolls.

baseline bum
07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think owners would be thrilled with adding even more salaries. Doing a 2012 draft without underclassmen would be an easy way to reduce payrolls.

The owners who have bad teams that are losing money would probably much rather have a college star they can market whenever the lockout is over; not some draft and stash throwaway pick that no one has ever heard of. Those tickets are going to be a hard sell that first year back, so you gotta give your fans a reason to think the team can get better.

baseline bum
07-02-2011, 04:36 PM
The salary structure would be different than in a usual draft.

That just sounds like another huge headache to negotiate.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 04:40 PM
That just sounds like another huge headache to negotiate.

Well, you can imagine something like looking at the average number of seniors drafted in the first round in a normal draft and using that number to determine how much guaranteed contracts do you give.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 04:42 PM
And I'm not saying it was will happen but it's to me what would be more logical and fair.

Spurtacus
07-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Chad Ford says...

Word from the league is that it's to be determined. Not sure how they'll go about it and neither do they. I think everyone on both sides hopes that they'll be, at the very least, a shortened season. Losing the whole year is a devastating scenario for both sides. But if they do lose it, I think they could have a lottery for the entire league. Give odds based on projected records for 2011-12. And let the ping pong balls fly.

I think projected records is bullshit.

Simple solution? Everyone gets 1 ping pong ball and you draw in reverse order from 30 to 1.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Chad Ford says...

I think projected records is bullshit.

Simple solution? Everyone gets 1 ping pong ball and you draw in reverse order from 30 to 1.

Actually, we are always underestimated. Some people picked us to miss the playoffs, and we won 61 games.