PDA

View Full Version : McDyess Won’t Retire After All

nbaman99
07-01-2011, 07:04 PM
The San Antonio Spurs and Antonio McDyess have agreed to take another look at the 36-year old’s deal next summer, after he informed them that he won’t retire (which he was seriously considering last season.) From the Express-News: “McDyess’ contract called for him to be paid $5.2 million next season unless the Spurs waived him by midnight Thursday. The deal is partially guaranteed even if the Spurs ultimately decide to release the 36-year-old veteran of 14 NBA seasons. With the collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union to expire one minute after midnight Thursday, the Spurs proposed extending the deadline to the first day of the next player free agency period, whenever that may be. McDyess and his agent, Andy Miller, agreed to the salary guarantee extension on Thursday. Though McDyess indicated numerous times that he intended to make 2010-11 his final NBA season, the Spurs are convinced he could continue as a contributing player. The prospect that the 2011-12 season might be truncated by the labor dispute that appears headed for a lockout could be a factor in McDyess’ ultimate decision about continuing his playing career.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/07/antonio-mcdyess-wont-retire-after-all/

baseline bum
07-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd LOVE to have Dice back, but in a utility role. It's really time to see what Splitter and Blair are made of.

Lukor
07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I'd LOVE to have Dice back, but in a utility role. It's really time to see what Splitter and Blair are made of.

Dont get your hopes up. Blair is way too short and Splitter is a soft pussy. Might aswell give Dice another year.

GB20
07-01-2011, 07:14 PM
what is going to happen to ryan richard now?

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Dont get your hopes up. Blair is way too short and Splitter is a soft pussy. Might aswell give Dice another year.

Youre an idiot. McDyess played like shit the whole year. I would honestly take Boner over him. Or Mason, or DREW GOODEN, Hell Id even go as far as insert DAN Schayes in his spot.

Lukor
07-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Youre an idiot. McDyess played like shit the whole year. I would honestly take Boner over him. Or Mason, or DREW GOODEN, Hell Id even go as far as insert DAN Schayes in his spot.

If Bonner makes you think of boners you've got some serious issues.

Bruno
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
McDyess agreeing to extend his deadline doesn't necessarily means he isn't sure about retiring. Pushing back the deadline could be a nice gesture to give Spurs a last opportunity to use his contract as a trade asset.

A lot of teams have been careful about making trades because of the uncertainty of a lockout. After the lockout, teams should be more active and Spurs could do a nice trade that include Dice contract.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Interesting that Blair has better block shot stats than McDyess, better rebounding stats too (obvious) better FG %.....

The list goes on and on.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
If Bonner makes you think of boners you've got some serious issues.

The only boner I get thinking about McDyess was waiting for Memphis to OWN him and RAPE him so I could say

I TOLD YOU SO

dylankerouac
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
McDyess agreeing to extend his deadline doesn't necessarily means he isn't sure about retiring. Pushing back the deadline could be a nice gesture to give Spurs a last opportunity to use his contract as a trade asset.

Thanks Bruno. I saw the article earlier and was wondering if that could still happen.

GB20
07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Interesting that Blair has better block shot stats than McDyess, better rebounding stats too (obvious) better FG %.....

The list goes on and on.
what about the jump shot?

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
what about the jump shot?

McD has a better J, but who cares?

say blair takes 10 bunnies a game and makes 6
and McD takes 10 Elbow Js and makes 5

And Blair out rebounds, defends, assists, etc better than McD Why the hell would I want McD on the court? Because hes old, nice, and paid his "dues?"

There are all these people out there who think that McD is FAR AND AWAY our best defender. Well Blair actually had better defensive stats. Strange that people can continue to claim this. But we all know what ever pop does is right

ducks
07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
spurs could carry more people if dice sticks

dice should not be used much before allstar break

xellos88330
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
The only boner I get thinking about McDyess was waiting for Memphis to OWN him and RAPE him so I could say

I TOLD YOU SO

Wierd all I can read is "Derp derp derp derp derp. I am an idiot".

Hooks
07-01-2011, 08:20 PM

And Blair out rebounds, defends, assists, etc better than McD Why the hell would I want McD on the court? Because hes old, nice, and paid his "dues?"

There are all these people out there who think that McD is FAR AND AWAY our best defender. Well Blair actually had better defensive stats. Strange that people can continue to claim this. But we all know what ever pop does is right

lmao, defense doesn't always show up on stat sheets. Everyone knows Dice isn't a shot blocker. You have to be able to make fast rotations, contest shots, stay in front of your man etc. What do you think made Bowen an ATG perimeter defender? His career avg. of .4 blocks per game? His career average of .8 steals per game? No, It was because he was able to stay in front of his man, and contest their shots making them as difficult as possible, he also made great rotations and was a great help defender.

In order to score on Blair all you've got to do is post him up, that's it. His rotations are slow as hell, he's got extremely poor lateral movement etc. He can't really contest their shots because he's just too short. In the NBA if a guy gets passed their defender they're almost guaranteed to score or get fouled. Dice has more lateral speed, can contest shots much better, etc. He's a much better defender than Blair even though Dice has fallen off a lot.

xellos88330
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP DERP! I R DUM!

FIFY! :toast

xellos88330
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
lmao, defense doesn't always show up on stat sheets. Everyone knows Dice isn't a shot blocker. You have to be able to make fast rotations, contest shots, stay in front of your man etc. What do you think made Bowen an ATG perimeter defender? His career avg. of .4 blocks per game? His career average of .8 steals per game? No, It was because he was able to stay in front of his man, and contest their shots making them as difficult as possible, he also made great rotations and was a great help defender.

In order to score on Blair all you've got to do is post him up, that's it. His rotations are slow as hell, he's got extremely poor lateral movement etc. He can't really contest their shots because he's just too short. In the NBA if a guy gets passed their defender they're almost guaranteed to score or get fouled. Dice has more lateral speed, can contest shots much better, etc. He's a much better defender than Blair even though Dice has fallen off a lot.

Pancakechef is a retard. He has proven it in more ways than 1.

Cessation
07-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Blair a better defender than dice? That made me LOL. At least pancake's trolling has some comedic value, tbh.

xellos88330
07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Blair a better defender than dice? That made me LOL. At least pancake's trolling has some comedic value, tbh.

That is true. Gotta give him that at least. :toast

jjktkk
07-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Dyess is truly an asset when hes used in a utility role. Shouldn't be starting, but the Spurs need to find a starting 4,5.

thOOdee
07-01-2011, 08:40 PM
lol.......pancakechef.....aka THE SANDWICH KING!....GTFO of here BONNER!!

ChuckD
07-01-2011, 09:13 PM

They won't have much time. He only extended it to the first day of FA after the lockout, which will be the day the lockout ends.

Cessation
07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Dyess is truly an asset when hes used in a utility role. Shouldn't be starting, but the Spurs need to find a starting 4,5.

Exactly, dice was best coming of the bench, and fininishing games. Dumbass pop panicked after that laker loss, and started him instead. Which caused blairs fragile ego to suffer, and needlessly exhausted dice in the process.

pancakechef
07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
lmao, defense doesn't always show up on stat sheets. Everyone knows Dice isn't a shot blocker. You have to be able to make fast rotations, contest shots, stay in front of your man etc. What do you think made Bowen an ATG perimeter defender? His career avg. of .4 blocks per game? His career average of .8 steals per game? No, It was because he was able to stay in front of his man, and contest their shots making them as difficult as possible, he also made great rotations and was a great help defender.EXACTLY

In order to score on Blair all you've got to do is post him up , that's it. His rotations are slow as hell, he's got extremely poor lateral movement etc. He can't really contest their shots because he's just too short YET HE STILL AVGS MORE BLOCKS THAN MCDYESS??. In the NBA if a guy gets passed their defender they're almost guaranteed to score or get fouled. Dice has more lateral speed (FAIL), can contest shots much better (FAIL), etc. He's a much better defender than Blair even though Dice has fallen off a lot.

1. No kidding, but the idiots on here dont know anything about the eye test and they instantly go to 82 games or other stat sites to try and plug their agenda.

2. Dont forget help, hedge, stop ball, contest shots, FOUL in some situations, RECOVER, CLOSE OUT.

Mcdyess wasnt quick enough to contest a shot outside the paint, or quick enough to stop someone off the drive. Please see Marc and Z beating the shit out of him all series. Blair is better in all aspects EXCEPT post defense. But then again, HE WASNT GIVEN A LEGIT SHOT IN THE POST SEASON TO LEARN THROUGH HIS MISTAKES.

Playing McDyess was a waste for 2 reasons:
1. Memphis made him look like a bitch no matter how you want to slice it.

2. We never let Dejuan grow, or know if he could have rebounded from first game abuse. That was stupid. So he has a soft ego, maybe. But quick trigger Pop lets vets go out and fuck up all day long, but pulls rookies INSTANTLY. There was ZERO reason to play McDyess 30 plus minutes a game in the playoffs. Dejuan anchored a team that had the leagues best record. Led our team in deflections too.

In the end McDyess proved his shittiness for the past two years. If he was worth it we would have either won more games when he started (notice how we did when Blair started) or won more playoff games...

There is no way to justify his signing, playing, or the coaching. PERIOD

Leetonidas
07-01-2011, 11:52 PM
^lol banned

8FOR!3
07-02-2011, 01:31 AM
McDyess is at the end of his career for sure, but I think he can still contribute at a decent level. I'd like to see us sign another big man free agent yes, but at the very worst Dice would be good to still have around in the locker room. I think his defense and rebounding can be overrated at times around here, but then again Blair's defense was nonexistent some games last year (playoffs?) and his rebounding was nowhere near the level it needed to be. Plus maybe an extended break will give him and Duncan more time to rest. A short season and longer offseason could one: give the younger and newer guys more time to train and prepare and two: give some vets like Timmy, Ginobili, maybe even Dice, and Ginobili time to get their legs back under them. As long as they stay in shape, it might be good for them. You see it all the time where guys retire, then after a year or two they decide they feel good again and they want to come back, only problem is they might feel young again but they aren't in the shape they were before they retired.

SenorSpur
07-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Before we all get so psyched about the possibility of Dice returning, remember what we watched in the recent playoff series versus Memphis. Simply bringing back Dice alone does not make this frontline any better than last year.

Like everyone else, I love Dice and appreciate his contributions as both a teammate and a professional. However, you're not going anywhere having Dice and Duncan as the two best post players on this team - especially at their advanced ages. And no, I've not forgotten about Splitter. However even if you factor Splitter in, the frontline is still lacking the same athleticism and skill that it did last year (consistent rebounding, shotblocking, defense).

Unless the team can install an upgrade over Bonner and Blair, it makes no sense to have Dice back. At his age, his presence is simply NOT going to mitigate the size and skill disadvantage that plagues this frontline. Unless Pop and RC are going to rid themselves of either Blair or Bonner (and I doubt that they will), they need to identify another big. Remember the Grizzlies! For the sake of the Spurs, and to eliminate this false dependency, I hope Dice retires.

TJastal
07-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Before we all get so psyched about the possibility of Dice returning, remember what we watched in the recent playoff series versus Memphis. Simply bringing back Dice alone does not make this frontline any better than last year.

Like everyone else, I love Dice and appreciate his contributions as both a teammate and a professional. However, you're not going anywhere having Dice and Duncan as the two best post players on this team - especially at their advanced ages. And no, I've not forgotten about Splitter. However even if you factor Splitter in, the frontline is still lacking the same athleticism and skill that it did last year (consistent rebounding, shotblocking, defense).

Unless the team can install an upgrade over Bonner and Blair, it makes no sense to have Dice back. At his age, his presence is simply NOT going to mitigate the size and skill disadvantage that plagues this frontline. Unless Pop and RC are going to rid themselves of either Blair or Bonner (and I doubt that they will), they need to identify another big. Remember the Grizzlies! For the sake of the Spurs, and to eliminate this false dependency, I hope Dice retires.

McDyess would be awesome for 1 final year IMO (if used correctly as 3rd or
4th big off the bench and not as starter) It's either that or watch Bonner get 20+ minutes.

If Pop had any basketball sense he would have used Splitter and Duncan in the starting lineup last year and then paired up Blair with Dice in the 2nd unit and sit Bonner on the bench for true "spot" minutes or injury insurance.

The fact that Bonner is still getting a steady diet of 20+ minutes in the reg seasons & playoffs while guys like Blair & Tiago sit on the bench and watch this choker is truly mind boggling.

itzsoweezee
07-02-2011, 01:58 AM

I agree with you. Duncan's the best defensive big man on the team and Blair is number two.

Leetonidas
07-02-2011, 01:59 AM
What Spurs games are you watching? Blair is awful on the defensive end.

BackHome
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I agree with you. Duncan's the best defensive big man on the team and Blair is number two.

And that is why the Grizz bounced us out of the playoffs............:bang

Bruno
07-02-2011, 06:26 AM
They won't have much time. He only extended it to the first day of FA after the lockout, which will be the day the lockout ends.

It isn't a lot of time but it's doable especially when you consider that teams can talk about trades during the lockout.

Bruno
07-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Spurs' problem in their frontcourt isn't a lack of quantity, it's a lack of quality. Dice coming back will give Spurs an extra body but it isn't their biggest need.

TJastal
07-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Spurs' problem in their frontcourt isn't a lack of quantity, it's a lack of quality. Dice coming back will give Spurs an extra body but it isn't their biggest need.

I think the spurs' problem is actually quite simple, Tim Duncan doesn't need an all-star caliber player starting next to him (although it would be nice) he just needs someone size and athleticism that can help him defend the paint. It's really not that hard to find a player like that. In fact there's one already on the roster, name is Tiago Splitter.

Knowing Pop, however we'll probably see everybody BUT Tiago in the starting lineup next year. I wouldn't even be surprised to see Matt Bonner make a triumphant return marked with several games of torrid 3pt shooting against sub .500 teams.

Lukor
07-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I think the spurs' problem is actually quite simple, Tim Duncan doesn't need an all-star caliber player starting next to him (although it would be nice) he just needs someone size and athleticism that can help him defend the paint. It's really not that hard to find a player like that. In fact there's one already on the roster, name is Tiago Splitter.

Knowing Pop, however we'll probably see everybody BUT Tiago in the starting lineup next year. I wouldn't even be surprised to see Matt Bonner make a triumphant return marked with several games of torrid 3pt shooting against sub .500 teams.

The Spurs problem is that they dont have a franchise player anymore. Great fucking analysis dude.

TJastal
07-02-2011, 07:54 AM
The Spurs problem is that they dont have a franchise player anymore. Great fucking analysis dude.

Did you come up with that all by yourself? Wow, I"m impressed by the thoroughness of your analysis to come up with such a brilliant solution to the spurs' current shortcomings.

Lukor
07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Did you come up with that all by yourself? Wow, I"m impressed by the thoroughness of your analysis to come up with such a brilliant solution to the spurs' current shortcomings.

The obvious solution is to tank so that you can luck out and hopefully draft another Timmy D next year.
I figured you would have realized that by now.

wildbill2u
07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Everybody likes the old man and he was a good guy in the locker room. On the court, he gave effort ans sometimes performed adequately depending on the matchup, but he was literally on his last legs.

What's his future? Well, the Spurs seem to think he could still contribute and if you look back over the years, Pop has always seem to prefer an old veteran big man at the end of the bench--Willis, Ratliff, etc--over a young guy with raw skills and youthful athleticism.

While he MIGHT be induced to come back, Dice came here for a last shot at a championship and he may not see that happening here next year and so, "Vaya con Dios".

Muser
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Dice is one of my favorite players of all time, but I don't really want him on the Spurs next season.

spurs50_
07-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh gosh, I guess we know who will be starting.....retire already and convince Rj to do the same..

rmt
07-02-2011, 02:44 PM
For you poster complaining about Dice, remember it was just last playoffs that he did a masterful job on none other than the Finals MVP Dirk. IMO, it was because of his defense on Dirk that Spurs won that series. Besides, other than TD, Spurs have no big man with any significant playoff experience (and that includes the choker Bonner).

It's great that there's a possibility of Dice continuing as a Spur or to be able to use him to trade for a big man because the Spurs are hurting in the front court even with him in the lineup.

rascal
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
This is not good news. The Spurs are bringing back the same frontline. Dyess is finished as a player getting starters minutes.

rascal
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Let go of the Splitter hype. He is not athletic and is an overall poor post defender.

rascal
07-02-2011, 10:07 PM
McDyess is at the end of his career for sure, but I think he can still contribute at a decent level. I'd like to see us sign another big man free agent yes, but at the very worst Dice would be good to still have around in the locker room. I think his defense and rebounding can be overrated at times around here, but then again Blair's defense was nonexistent some games last year (playoffs?) and his rebounding was nowhere near the level it needed to be. Plus maybe an extended break will give him and Duncan more time to rest. A short season and longer offseason could one: give the younger and newer guys more time to train and prepare and two: give some vets like Timmy, Ginobili, maybe even Dice, and Ginobili time to get their legs back under them. As long as they stay in shape, it might be good for them. You see it all the time where guys retire, then after a year or two they decide they feel good again and they want to come back, only problem is they might feel young again but they aren't in the shape they were before they retired.

The Spurs need to add youth and athleticism on the frontline. Having Dyess for locker room morale is a wasted roster spot. The Spurs have enough veterans for locker room morale.

TJastal
07-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Let go of the Splitter hype. He is not athletic and is an overall poor post defender.

Scroh, you are like ducks' autistic little brother. And I don't mean in the Dustin Hoffman "Rainman" type way either. :lol

Splitter made a noticeable difference in the playoffs in the few minutes he accumulated. Had he been given more and from the very start the spurs may not have lost that series against the grizz and from there, who knows.

pgardn
07-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Even if Splitter contributes we still need him. Duncan is not exactly a young man. Dice played way too much last season. We just dont have anybody else to man the spot. Quality big men who know what they are doing are scarce, thats just the way it is(look at the number of crappy "bigs" taken in the draft 1st round. This perfectly illustrates how hard it is to get decent bigs). We still need him for about 10 min per game IF Splitter comes around, if he does not, we need Dice for more time.

For those of you waiting on Blair...

Who is going to teach him to stop eating and quit pouting? His best friend Georgie is gone, time to be a pro. Blair was horribly dissappointing last year when he decided to go into fat depression mode after he got benched. The way to respond is too work harder and get better. By the end of the season he was so slow and had lost so much explosion he got packed every other time he went up with the ball.
Get real people, Blair has a whole lot to prove if he wants to actually play in this league. And Bonner does not fit the position, no use putting him in this discussion.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
07-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Exactly, dice was best coming of the bench, and fininishing games. Dumbass pop panicked after that laker loss, and started him instead. Which caused blairs fragile ego to suffer, and needlessly exhausted dice in the process.

:toast:toast:toast+1
well said

i think dice helps this team out majorly, and to me is a perfect fit and as consistent as a player can be for his AGE but like the above poster said he needs to come off the bench

Cane
07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Even if Splitter contributes we still need him. Duncan is not exactly a young man. Dice played way too much last season. We just dont have anybody else to man the spot. Quality big men who know what they are doing are scarce, thats just the way it is(look at the number of crappy "bigs" taken in the draft 1st round. This perfectly illustrates how hard it is to get decent bigs). We still need him for about 10 min per game IF Splitter comes around, if he does not, we need Dice for more time.

For those of you waiting on Blair...

Who is going to teach him to stop eating and quit pouting? His best friend Georgie is gone, time to be a pro. Blair was horribly dissappointing last year when he decided to go into fat depression mode after he got benched. The way to respond is too work harder and get better. By the end of the season he was so slow and had lost so much explosion he got packed every other time he went up with the ball.
Get real people, Blair has a whole lot to prove if he wants to actually play in this league. And Bonner does not fit the position, no use putting him in this discussion.

Agreed.

McDyess seems like the best big man other than Duncan that the Spurs can realistically have going into the next season.

Not only does Splitter have to prove he's still worth a damn but he's also got injury concerns. He wasn't an ironman in the Euroleagues and he unfortunately had nagging injuries in his inaugural NBA season.

Spurs still need help in the frontcourt (same old song ever since D-Rob retired) and they're going to need more of it if Dice retires.

SenorSpur
07-03-2011, 09:32 AM
If Pop is still in denial and truly believes that the Manu injury is what cost the Spurs that playoff series, then the Spurs are in big trouble. As I said earlier, bringing Dice back does nothing to upgrade this frontline - which badly needs a younger, more talented and athletic player. Pop can "sling his bullshit hash of excuses" all he wants, but he and RC are already on record as proclaiming how they need to upgrade the PF spot. If they are truly serious about that, then they should move in that direction.

At his age, Dice is only a bonus, not an answer. If Pop is committed to rolling out Bonner and Blair, as the "turd towers", Dice should not be brought back.

joshdaboss
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Number one, couldn't McDyess just be doing this to get paid? Thinking the Spurs will probably offer to buy him out anyway?

Number two, I'm going to be pissed as fuck if McDyess is more than a 10MPG player next year. Splitter and Blair need to develop. In fact, I wouldn't even start playing McDyess until the last 20 or 30 games of the regular season. His biggest strength is his defense, it isn't like you need to put him out there so he can get in an offensive rhythm going into the playoffs. By then, any major weaknesses in Splitter's game will be exposed and it'll be easier to evaluate if he's a starting NBA center or not. For me, there's no question that he's a rotation player, but I do have questions whether he's a legit NBA starter for the long haul.

rascal
07-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Agreed.

McDyess seems like the best big man other than Duncan that the Spurs can realistically have going into the next season.

Then you can forget about the Spurs being contenders next year.

Cane
07-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Then you can forget about the Spurs being contenders next year.

Why the fuck did you delete the end of my post which basically spelled that out: "Spurs still need help in the frontcourt (same old song ever since D-Rob retired) and they're going to need more of it if Dice retires."

spurs10
07-03-2011, 10:12 PM
If Pop is still in denial and truly believes that the Manu injury is what cost the Spurs that playoff series, then the Spurs are in big trouble. As I said earlier, bringing Dice back does nothing to upgrade this frontline - which badly needs a younger, more talented and athletic player. Pop can "sling his bullshit hash of excuses" all he wants, but he and RC are already on record as proclaiming how they need to upgrade the PF spot. If they are truly serious about that, then they should move in that direction.

At his age, Dice is only a bonus, not an answer. If Pop is committed to rolling out Bonner and Blair, as the "turd towers", Dice should not be brought back.
Pop and RC are indeed on record as saying "they need to upgrade the PF spot." Therefore I'm clinging to hope that a trade is in the works to do just that. Thanks Bruno for clarifying the extension situation with Dice and the fact that trades can be discussed during this time in limbo.
:flag:

timtonymanu
07-05-2011, 06:25 AM
I like Dice but I hope he retires. Unless Bonner or Blair is on the way out and the Spurs grab an athletic big, this is a bad idea. It would be dumb to bring back the same exact frontline from last season when clearly it needed an upgrade.

CaptainLate
07-05-2011, 12:59 PM

The list goes on and on.

The season started going downhill after Dice replaced Blair.
What was the Spurs record w/Blair in the starting lineup vs. Dice in the SL?

Capt Bringdown
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
McDyess was totally washed up 2 years ago. The Spurs are complete morons if they sign him again.

Exactly. Shocking that the Spurs are considering signing him again, how disappointing.

joshdaboss
07-10-2011, 04:11 AM
The season started going downhill after Dice replaced Blair.
What was the Spurs record w/Blair in the starting lineup vs. Dice in the SL?

The reasoning is obvious. McDyess is much bigger than Blair and a way, way better defensive player. Popobitch felt like Blair couldn't compete defensively against the Lakers, who he felt were the team to beat, so he tried to start McDyess and gain chemistry with that lineup before the playoffs. Personally, I think it was the right decision, except he just wasn't right for the Memphis series. They needed the size of Splitter. It was almost a perfect storm of bad things to happen to the Spurs this season.

rascal
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Why the fuck did you delete the end of my post which basically spelled that out: "Spurs still need help in the frontcourt (same old song ever since D-Rob retired) and they're going to need more of it if Dice retires."

Because you basically reiterated the fact that the spurs should bring back McDyess.

Did it not occur to you that if the spurs brought back McDyess they would be less inclined to bring in another player or two. There are only so many roster spots and having McDyess off the team forces their hand to add another frontline player.

rascal
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Exactly. Shocking that the Spurs are considering signing him again, how disappointing.

Wasn't McDyess coming off the bench for a lousy Detroit team before he came to San Antonio and now he is older and expected to be a major frontline player for a so called contender.

Cane
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Because you basically reiterated the fact that the spurs should bring back McDyess.

Did it not occur to you that if the spurs brought back McDyess they would be less inclined to bring in another player or two. There are only so many roster spots and having McDyess off the team forces their hand to add another frontline player.

No, I wrote that McDyess seemed like one of the best realistic options and agreed with another poster that he played too much in the season while making the point that the Spurs still need help in the frontcourt even if he's an active roster spot. Imo there's not much value in McDyess' contract on the market

IIRC Buford has already admitted to needing frontline upgrades specifically at the PF spot and is willing to do it through trades. Spurs know how badly they got beaten by Memphis especially in the frontcourt as Blair and Bonner were basically useless and they relied too much on Dice and Duncan.

spursfan1000
07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I actually like that he isnt going to retire but I disagree with this if we are going to start him next to Duncan. We need someone with atleast potential. Last year the front court of Duncan and Mcdyess didnt come through and we sure wont next year with both of them a year older. At This point our only hope is to sign a unproven big man and hope he comes out big for us. Atletisism is what we need.

ChuckD
07-11-2011, 07:05 PM

I don't think they are. I think they asked him to extend his date so that maybe he can be used in a trade to a team that wants to cut payroll by paying him out 50% per his contract.