PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Clippers Trade Idea

Russo21
07-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Interesting article i stumbled upon. So. Is TP still on the chopping block? We still need a Centre which Kamaan will fill nicely but who the fuck will be starting PG, Mo Williams? Hope not. At least if this trade went down we'd get rid of RJ. But it'd leave us with a lineup of..

Chris Kamaan
Tm Duncan
Kawhi Leonard/FA SF
Manu Ginobili
Mo Williams/FA PG

2011 NBA Trade Rumors – Tony Parker to Clippers?

July 01, 2011 08:25 PM EDT

The NBA lockout has put a damper on trade season as the owners and players are both digging in and expecting a long lockout. Despite the recent bad news, fans still are looking at trades and free agent signings that could help their favorite team.

San Antonio made it clear before the draft that Tony Parker was on the trading block and though his backup was traded, it doesn't mean that Parker has played his last game in a Spurs uniform.

The latest rumor has Parker (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/754674-nba-trade-rumors-8-deals-that-should-go-down-after-the-lockout/page/7) and Richard Jefferson packing their bags and heading to Los Angeles to play for the Clippers. In return, LA would send Chris Kamaan (http://www.gather.com/#)and Mo Williams to San Antonio.

This trade would give the Clippers the veterans they need to make a run at the playoffs and San Antonio would get a true center and some much-needed relief to the salary cap. This trade makes sense for both teams and could give the Clippers the needed talent to compete with the Lakers in the Pacific Division.

stxspurs
07-02-2011, 08:50 AM
uh nooooo

benefactor
07-02-2011, 08:51 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lloelkAel61qeq5iq.gif

TJastal
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm sure the Parker homers will be in here any moment to tell us this is all just a ruse to increase George Hill's trade value..

Russo21
07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
lol yeah probably. Anyway i just found the news and posted it asap. I don't know any further information hmm.

Russo21
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Wicked frontcourt of Kamaan, Duncan and Leonard if he is the superfreak we think he might be. Best frontourt in the NBA maybe.

But the backcourt? Hill Gone, Parker Gone. Leave us with Manu and Mo Williams? Weird. That cant be right.

Ice009
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
No Mo.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Just so you know, that article was written based on this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/754674-nba-trade-rumors-8-deals-that-should-go-down-after-the-lockout/page/7#/articles/754674-nba-trade-rumors-8-deals-that-should-go-down-after-the-lockout/page/7

...which is just a suggestion of which trades that someone at bleacherreport thinks should go down.

It would be the same as if someone wrote an article off of trade suggestions from posters here on SpursTalk.

I'm not saying that the Spurs wouldn't trade TP with RJ, if a deal was right. I'm just saying that this is just a fan's idea of which trades they think teams should make.

Russo21
07-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Kori i just read that article. Probably all bullshit then. Just a suggestion for the moment...for the moment.

Russo21
07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Interesting nevertheless:wakeup

MaNu4Tres
07-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Russo still digging I see.

:lol

Danny.Zhu
07-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I like Kaman. But Williams sucks.

Big P
07-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Someone's been getting trade ideas off realgm again.

sananspursfan21
07-02-2011, 10:09 AM
kaman=incredible mo williams={fart noises}

bluebellmaniac
07-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Trades aren't just a matter of ridding a team of a player fans don't like or just dumping a salary that's too high for the performance you are getting. It's also about ensuring our needs are filled. Our biggest need was SF. Right now RJ is our best player at that position. Hopefully Leonard becomes the player we need and want him to be. Once Leonard establishes his role, then I can see trading RJ. But we'd be right back at needing a backup SF. Until that happens, simply "giving" RJ away would seem to not be in the best interest of the team.

After this year, if there is a this year, we'll get a huge salary relief w Tim's expiring contract. We'll have manuvering room then to add some missing pieces. If we trade RJ, then I can only see that happening by sending TP with him. RJ's contract is that bad, given his performance. So then we'll have need at every position except SG. So we kinda almost have to stick w him and figure out how to get him to play like we know he can. That would seem easier than back filling the PG, SF and Tim's C/F role.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I like the trade. Yes, that's right, I like it.

Why? Several reasons...

Good big men are hard to find (somehow that sounds so gay). But, finding quality defensive, rebounding, space eating centers are very rare. Kaman is a former all star center and 6th overall pick that could compliment TD now and Splitter in the near future.

Second, servicable PGs are EASY to find. Parker was an unheard of Euroleague teen and 28th pick that turned into an elite All-star. George Hill was a 26th pick. Beno Udrih was a 28th pick. Leandro Barbosa, another 28th Spurs pick. Just about every late 1st round G the Spurs pick end up starting somewhere in the NBA. Keep in mind, the Spurs just picked up another PG this year. Mo Williams will be a FA in 2012 - one year of him is worth one w/ Kaman and the possibility of 3-4 more.

Which line-up looks better?

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Splitter
Duncan

Williams
Anderson (w/ Ginobili as 6th man)
Leonard
Duncan (w/ Splitter playing 20 mpg)
Kaman

After 2012, the Spurs won't have TD as he will most likely be retired. Whether they like it or not, they are going to have to start trying and relying on younger guys to play, contend and win.

8FOR!3
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I like the trade. Yes, that's right, I like it.

Why? Several reasons...

Good big men are hard to find (somehow that sounds so gay). But, finding quality defensive, rebounding, space eating centers are very rare. Kaman is a former all star center and 6th overall pick that could compliment TD now and Splitter in the near future.

Second, servicable PGs are EASY to find. Parker was an unheard of Euroleague teen and 28th pick that turned into an elite All-star. George Hill was a 26th pick. Beno Udrih was a 28th pick. Leandro Barbosa, another 28th Spurs pick. Just about every late 1st round G the Spurs pick end up starting somewhere in the NBA. Keep in mind, the Spurs just picked up another PG this year. Mo Williams will be a FA in 2012 - one year of him is worth one w/ Kaman and the possibility of 3-4 more.

Which line-up looks better?

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Splitter
Duncan

Williams
Anderson (w/ Ginobili as 6th man)
Leonard
Duncan (w/ Splitter playing 20 mpg)
Kaman

After 2012, the Spurs won't have TD as he will most likely be retired. Whether they like it or not, they are going to have to start trying and relying on younger guys to play, contend and win.

lol trick question? which lineup looks better? the one with the best player on the team starting or the one with an unproven 2nd year player starting? hmm

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Kaman is rarely healthy and while he is decent, he is slow and plodding and not a great interior defender. Mo Williams is a soft scrub who disappears when it matters the most (like RJ). In fact, he is the PG version of Richard Jefferson.

elemento
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't like it for 2 reasons.

1st

Kaman last 4 seasons (TOTAL - 328 games)
2008 - 56 games
2009 - 31 games
2010 - 76 games
2011 - 32 games
TOTAL - 195 games (59%)

The guy is totally injury-prone. If we want to gamble to give Timmy one last shot, fine. But not at the expense of Parker.

2o - Mo Williams is a mental midget just like Jefferson. We don't let go one mental midget to bring another one.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Kaman is rarely healthy and while he is decent, he is slow and plodding and not a great interior defender. Mo Williams is a soft scrub who disappears when it matters the most (like RJ). In fact, he is the PG version of Richard Jefferson.

RJ's contract extends beyond 2012. Kaman and Williams will both be FAs in 2012.

The Spurs can no longer afford the "security blanket" of using proven veterans at every position. It's amazing how everyone mentions they need YOUTH but when they get it, everyone seems scared to play them claiming they're unproven.

You can't have it both ways...

8FOR!3
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
and also lol at our starting pg being a ninja turtle. no thanks

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
2o - Mo Williams is a mental midget just like Jefferson. We don't let go one mental midget to bring another one.

You do if it's just one more season of it - RJ will be a Spur until traded or 2015.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 11:40 AM
You do if it's just one more season of it - RJ will be a Spur until traded or 2014.

FIFY. He didn't sign a 4 year extension, he voided his last year (2010-2011) and signed a 4 year deal, ending in 2014.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
FIFY. He didn't sign a 4 year extension, he voided his last year (2010-2011) and signed a 4 year deal, ending in 2014.

I stand corrected...

that's still 3 more seasons. If he's not traded now (while his contract is cheaper) what are the odds he'll be traded in the future as his contract gets more expensive.

I like Tony Parker - don't get me wrong. But you've got to trust that the Spurs FO will be able to find a starting quality PG (don't think replacement for TP as that might not ever happen) that's young, cheap and capable.

Again, PGs are EASY to find. EASY. When was the last time the Spurs didn't have a decent one - prior to Avery Johnson?

elemento
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
You do if it's just one more season of it - RJ will be a Spur until traded or 2015.

No you don't if you have to let go the best player in the trade.

Mo Williams has 2 years left of his contract, not only 1.

Kaman is not reliable at all and it's probably going to be a 1-year rental.

2 years of Mo Williams + 1 year of Kaman

or

3 years of Jefferson + Tony Parker

I'd rather have the last option.

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 11:54 AM
RJ's contract extends beyond 2012. Kaman and Williams will both be FAs in 2012.

The Spurs can no longer afford the "security blanket" of using proven veterans at every position. It's amazing how everyone mentions they need YOUTH but when they get it, everyone seems scared to play them claiming they're unproven.

You can't have it both ways...

Where did I speak about youth or them being unproven? Mo Williams is the same age as TP and he is a complete choking, whinning front runner who is extremely mentally soft.

Kaman is two years younger than RJ, but it's not like he is "youth" or "unproven". He is a decent player who seems to be oft injured.

If you want to salary dump and rebuild, then sure, you can make the trade because the only thing good about the trade is their contracts.

From a basketball perspective this trade sucks. I wouldn't mind getting Kaman, but if the price is TP then it's silly to me if you still want to contend.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 12:12 PM
From a basketball perspective this trade sucks. I wouldn't mind getting Kaman, but if the price is TP then it's silly to me if you still want to contend.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

Name nba teams w/ decent centers.

Now, name nba teams w/ decent PGs.

You speak of Mo Williams as if he's a complete scrub. That's simply not true. Last year w/ the Clippers (one of the worst teams in the league), he averaged 15 ppg shooting 42% from the field, 88% from the FT line and 40% from 3. He also averaged 5.6 assists per game. Now, he's no TP but think about his level of excitement and enthusiasm playing for the Clippers. Say what you want about pro athletes but they are all human and those that play for lousier teams tend to show less interest. The fans and media kill guys for doing that but it is what it is.

You trade him AND Kaman to the Spurs and both of their production go up.

From a basketball standpoint, the Spurs lose at the PG position but they gain in the frontcourt w/ Kaman. He's no Dwight Howard or even Tyson Chandler but he's a 15 ppg/8rpg guy who is athletic enough to alter shots and cause opposing teams to think about driving to the lane.

Is it reasonable to believe Kaman will be that unhealthy again? Perhaps, but I take that risk for 1 year. Even if he is, at least the Spurs tried. Right now, the team is the same as last year (just one year older). Does anyone really think the simple addition of Leonard will be enough to contend w/ Dallas, LA, Boston and Miami for 7 games?

Plain and simple, the Spurs are as good a basketball team next year w/ this trade and are almost certainly a LOT better following the year. They will have had a year to find out who the next crop of superstars are, they will have tried to solve the front court production issue and they will have rid themselves of RJs contract and cut salary altogether from 2012 and beyond.

Spurtacus
07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Trade TP and we're done as contenders. Probably 2012 lottery bound.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Keep TP and we have the best record in the league (which equates to picking 30th or LAST), make the playoffs but lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

And, the contracts of RJ is still there and is that much more expensive.

Maybe the best thing for the Spurs would be the lottery. SE was a lottery pick. Robinson was as lottery pick. TD was 1st overall.

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Well there you go. You seem to be finally agreeing that it's a bad basketball trade but good if they want to rebuild, which is what I said.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Well there you go. You seem to be finally agreeing that it's a bad basketball trade but good if they want to rebuild, which is what I said.

DPG I don't think it's a bad basketball trade from my prior post. Next year, as the Spurs are currently constructed (i.e. they make no more moves), they will most likely make the playoffs (about 95% chance). However, I give them about a 2% chance of being serious contenders to win it all.

If they make this trade, I think they have a good chance (about 75%) of making the playoffs in one of the top 4 seeds. However, I give them a better chance of winning it all (about 20%).

I honestly think the Spurs will be about the same w/ Mo Williams and Chris Kaman as the gain of Kaman cancels out the loss of TP.

The real question is whether or not Kaman remains healthy AND if the new offense can capitalize on frontcourt scoring as backcourt scoring will be less abundanct.

But, if it makes you happier, you can think whatever you want.

ShoogarBear
07-02-2011, 01:03 PM

1st

2008 - 56 games
2009 - 31 games
2010 - 76 games
2011 - 32 games
TOTAL - 195 games (59%)

The guy is totally injury-prone.

Bingo. You get Kaman, you still need to find a center for the other 30 games.

benefactor
07-02-2011, 01:16 PM
So we dump Parker and RJ for a center who is injured 60% of the time and a PG whose ppg, fg%, 3pt%, asts and FT% all drop in the playoffs.

No thanks.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Any other better (and REASONABLE) ideas of how the Spurs contend for the title? That's SERIOUSLY contend - not just have a great record and lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

benefactor
07-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think there are any...not realistically anyway. Acquiring a major piece means a team taking RJ off the Spurs hands and that just isn't going to happen. Even the proposed trade(as bad as it is) is borderline wishful thinking, as Sterling is incredibly cheap and would be very reluctant to take two long deals for his contracts that expire much sooner.

Biggems
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
The only Clipper I want is DeAndre Jordan...but I do not see us being able to get him from them....plus, he is due a huge payday soon, because someone his size and with his potential to break out always gets paid huge money....of course all of this depends on the outcome of the new CBA.

Still, DeAndre Jordan is who I want as our starting Center, with Splitter being our starting PF when Duncan retires.

Since we cannot get Jordan, I say we make a strong play for Aaron Gray. He is a legit 7 footer who plays with passion, isn't afraid to do the dirty work, and isn't afraid to play defense. We need someone with his toughness in the paint. Sign Gray and keep Blair out of Whataburger for an entire season and our 2nd unit on the frontline will be quite nice indeed.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
The only Clipper I want is DeAndre Jordan...but I do not see us being able to get him from them....plus, he is due a huge payday soon, because someone his size and with his potential to break out always gets paid huge money....of course all of this depends on the outcome of the new CBA.

Still, DeAndre Jordan is who I want as our starting Center, with Splitter being our starting PF when Duncan retires.

Since we cannot get Jordan, I say we make a strong play for Aaron Gray. He is a legit 7 footer who plays with passion, isn't afraid to do the dirty work, and isn't afraid to play defense. We need someone with his toughness in the paint. Sign Gray and keep Blair out of Whataburger for an entire season and our 2nd unit on the frontline will be quite nice indeed.

Not bad...

I'm still not sold Blair isn't anything more than an occasional role player. I know he was a 2nd round pick but his lack of size makes him less worthwhile in the Spurs system. He's more valuable in a trade to a team that can use his talents more effectively (it'd be a better move for him as well).

joshdaboss
07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
It's certainly an interesting deal, that's for certain.

There are 3 reasons that I don't like it. #1) Getting rid of RJ leaves a huge void at SF. Leonard? Get real. #2) Kaman is solid as fuck, but he's injury prone. #3) Mo Williams is strictly a jump shooter in the playoffs, he doesn't get to the rim at all. In the playoffs, you win by taking the highest percentage shots. Williams is a step in the wrong direction in that sense. It would be another story if he could defend at a high level(like Hill), but he can't.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think there are any...not realistically anyway. Acquiring a major piece means a team taking RJ off the Spurs hands and that just isn't going to happen. Even the proposed trade(as bad as it is) is borderline wishful thinking, as Sterling is incredibly cheap and would be very reluctant to take two long deals for his contracts that expire much sooner.

If an NBA title isn't a realistic possibility (only one I can think of would be somehow trading for Dwight Howard), then the real question becomes "how soon can the Spurs rebuild to be serious contenders?"

If that isn't within the next 4-5 years, then TP is of no use now. His value is simply for jersey and ticket sales. I'm not one for a bunch of pomp and ceremony - I like the Spurs of old, boring but effective.

I say trade make the trade of TP, RJ and Blair to the Clippers for MW and CK and 2012 1st round pick. TP gets to live in LA and hang out in Hollywood, RJ gets to score 16-18ppg again and not really have to worry about defense, the Clippers let DeAndre Jordan get more playing time, they have an exciting, scoring team and the Spurs get 2 expiring contracts and front court help.

Whenever CK is injured, move Duncan to center and Splitter to PF.

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Just because someone can't come up with some magic trade to make the Spurs by all reasonable logic a legit contender, doesn't mean by default this one is good.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Just because someone can't come up with some magic trade to make the Spurs by all reasonable logic a legit contender, doesn't mean by default this one is good.

Very true, but standing pat for me isn't an option. You're either moving forward or falling behind.

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Sure, I'm in the same boat, but the likelihood of the Spurs making a significant move with limited trade assets and a looming lockout aren't good. Same with a full scale blow up. I agree I'd rather go one way or the other, but it's not reasonable to expect the Spurs to keep taking on money to win (which is what they would have to do). They went all in with RJ and it didn't work. They won't keep digging that hole.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
You're probably right.

The only thing that really stinks in this whole mess is - lockout or not - RJ is a Spur until 2014 (unless he retires or is traded). If trading him now is difficult, it'll be damn near impossible the longer we wait.

TP is a great player but he's probably the only way out of RJs contract. My original point was that PGs in general are a lot easier to replace than centers. So, IMO, whenever you get a chance (that's just a CHANCE) at a decent center who has some upside still and might be able to contribute, you take that chance. If he's a bust (like RJ was) then at least the contract is shorter.

Another PG will be along shortly - trust me...

DPG21920
07-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not opposed to trading TP, as long as it means dumping RJ, but nothing I have read or heard makes it worth it. You can't trade TP just to dump RJ, but RJ has to be dumped if you trade TP (if that makes sense).

IMO, the Spurs in order to try and compete need to trade RJ straight up (or maybe throw in Blair) for someone with a similar contract to RJ that might be a better fit. That is the only real feasible way I can see the Spurs have a shot to contend.

The question is who?

benefactor
07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Very true, but standing pat for me isn't an option. You're either moving forward or falling behind.
The tone of the FO is that they are looking to get better and not stand pat. I don't think that this is going to happen by trading Parker even if they try...mostly because they are trying to unload RJ as condition of any trade that involves TP. As I said before, no team is going to do this...so moving forward is going to likely be series of smaller moves that can hopefully shore up what is already there. Sign another decent big, move Blair/Dice/pick for a big, etc.

The Spurs are stuck in a self-inflicted rut. They have assets that are desirable, but they are trying to fix the mistakes they made in the previous offseason at the same time. They can't do both and make themselves a contender in the process.

I think at the end of the day they will keep the Big 3 and do their best to improve the front line situation. I stick to what I said last season and what I've already mentioned this offseason...the Spurs just aren't playing the type of basketball that won them the rings and I don't see this coach heading back to that or this team acquiring the personnel necessary to get back there...especially with the young, up and coming teams that were already tough only getting tougher.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 03:36 PM
That, my friend, would be the ideal situation. However, that is much more unlikely.

To me, there won't be any realistic trades for TP that make the team better - no other team is that stupid. The ONLY reason to trade TP is to get rid of RJ.

And while it might not seem fathomable now, the Spurs are far more likely to find someone who can play PG than they are to find someone to put up 18/9 from the PF or C position.

And, with the addition of a defensive SF who can hustle, get offensive rebounds and produce transition buckets, an All-Star PG isn't needed as badly.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 03:41 PM
The tone of the FO is that they are looking to get better and not stand pat. I don't think that this is going to happen by trading Parker even if they try...mostly because they are trying to unload RJ as condition of any trade that involves TP. As I said before, no team is going to do this...so moving forward is going to likely be series of smaller moves that can hopefully shore up what is already there. Sign another decent big, move Blair/Dice/pick for a big, etc.

The Spurs are stuck in a self-inflicted rut. They have assets that are desirable, but they are trying to fix the mistakes they made in the previous offseason at the same time. They can't do both and make themselves a contender in the process.

I think at the end of the day they will keep the Big 3 and do their best to improve the front line situation. I stick to what I said last season and what I've already mentioned this offseason...the Spurs just aren't playing the type of basketball that won them the rings and I don't see this coach heading back to that or this team acquiring the personnel necessary to get back there...especially with the young, up and coming teams that were already tough only getting tougher.

I agree w/ everything you mentioned...

But that is the EXACT way teams become mired in mediocrity - never good enough to win but yet never bad enough to get draft pics or have enough cap room to acquire the better players.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-02-2011, 04:20 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3z4o457

only trade i would want to happen with the clippers.

would only want TP traded if we could get d will or CP3 back.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
@benefactor and DPG - nice debate...

Pauleta14
07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
It would be a great deal for Parker and a horrible one for the Spurs

Biggems
07-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I am not sure it is possible, but what about this one....

Blair, Jerrells trade exception, and a future 1st for DeAndre Jordan.

Sign Aaron Gray, T.J. Ford, and Malcolm Thomas

I have no idea how to get Jefferson off the books.....so I wont even try

C - Jordan, Gray, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Splitter, Thomas
SF - Jefferson, Leonard, Butler
SG - Manu, Neal, Green
PG - Parker, Ford, Joseph

Butler, Joseph, and Thomas spend a lot of time in the DLeague.....We are a lot younger (aside from our 4 starting holdovers). We are taller, longer, and far more atheltic. Not only can we score, but now we can play defense. With all of our 7 footers, we can now give Duncan the help he needs to protect the paint.

underdawg
07-02-2011, 07:33 PM

There is no magic - the Spurs are not going to get good value for Parker alone, not to mention with the anchor of RJ. That said, this deal could be worth the risk of Kaman's health because of the flexibility of the contracts. I don't agree with the loss of RJ creating a hole in the lineup - he's the hole as it is.

To stand pat is still a risk with the mileage on Parker and it's hard to imagine the feasiblity of trading Parker and RJ in a year for any value (if the lockout doesn't last a full year.)

GB20
07-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I am not sure it is possible, but what about this one....

Blair, Jerrells trade exception, and a future 1st for DeAndre Jordan.

Sign Aaron Gray, T.J. Ford, and Malcolm Thomas

I have no idea how to get Jefferson off the books.....so I wont even try

C - Jordan, Gray, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Splitter, Thomas
SF - Jefferson, Leonard, Butler
SG - Manu, Neal, Green
PG - Parker, Ford, Joseph

Butler, Joseph, and Thomas spend a lot of time in the DLeague.....We are a lot younger (aside from our 4 starting holdovers). We are taller, longer, and far more atheltic. Not only can we score, but now we can play defense. With all of our 7 footers, we can now give Duncan the help he needs to protect the paint.
where is james anderson?

Biggems
07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
where is james anderson?

ty, i knew i was forgetting someone, but i was too lazy too look it up...

well get rid of Green and put Anderson in his spot.

elemento
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Jordan is a RFA

The Clips see Jordan as their future C. They won't trade him and they will match any offer for Jordan. They want to move Kaman, not Jordan.

Cessation
07-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Mo Williams is horrible.

rascal
07-02-2011, 09:38 PM
A better deal will be sending Parker to Orlando in a package deal to get Howard.

Biggems
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Jordan is a RFA

The Clips see Jordan as their future C. They won't trade him and they will match any offer for Jordan. They want to move Kaman, not Jordan.

i know they wont let Jordan go.....I am just having fun, trying to think of scenarios where we can get him. I even stated much earlier that the Clippers will not let him go. He and Griffin are their front court starters for the next decade, at least they hope.

I don't want Kaman, not at all.

Ice009
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Do you guys think DeAndre Jordan is that good do you?

Did any of you watch Summer League last season? The game against the Spurs he looked like a total scrub. The Spurs team didn't even have Blair or Anderson playing.

Amazing how he looked so crappy in Summer League and plays better in the NBA.

G-Dawgg
07-03-2011, 04:35 AM
Kaman is bunk.... DeAndre is the player we want...

TJastal
07-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Bingo. You get Kaman, you still need to find a center for the other 30 games.

Hello???

The spurs still have Tiago Splitter last time I checked.

TJastal
07-03-2011, 06:13 AM
ty, i knew i was forgetting someone, but i was too lazy too look it up...

well get rid of Green and put Anderson in his spot.

Whose we? :lol

TJastal
07-03-2011, 06:15 AM
where is james anderson?

He'll be helping Chumpdumper get his fap on with the toros.

:lol

TJastal
07-03-2011, 06:17 AM

What if he were traded straight up for Dwight Howard? Still done as contenders, or maybe an 8th seed?

Biggems
07-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Whose we? :lol

we?

oh you misread it....I said well not we'll

Biggems
07-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Do you guys think DeAndre Jordan is that good do you?

Did any of you watch Summer League last season? The game against the Spurs he looked like a total scrub. The Spurs team didn't even have Blair or Anderson playing.

Amazing how he looked so crappy in Summer League and plays better in the NBA.

Jordan is stuck with the Clippers, of course he doesn't look all that great. With the Spurs he would be in a structured system. He would be back home here in Texas. He would be playing next to a HOF PF. I am not looking at him to be or Savior, especially offensively. What I am looking for him to do is block shots, alter shots, rebound, and get some transition dunks. I have no problem traiding Blair, Jerrells trade exception, and a pick to get Jordan.

We need size in the middle. I want Jordan (though he is most likely unattainable) and Aaron Gray. Two legit 7 fters with some athleticism, a strong defensive presence, and the ability to clog the lane.

I also want Malcolm Thomas, because he can play both F positions....and possibly even guard some SG on the wing.

Finally, I love the Joseph pick, but he isn't ready to backup Tony. I want a Vet backup for at least if not 2. The guy I want is TJ Ford.

Finally, I want to rid the team of Dick J. I wish I knew of a scenario for someone to take him.....but the Clippers and Cavs have too many SFs already. NJ and Milwaukee don't want him back. I honestly believe he would do great with a team like PHX, NY, Orlando, Philly, Dallas, and Atlanta...these are fast paced teams who just chuck and chuck, make or miss.

TJastal
07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Jordan is stuck with the Clippers, of course he doesn't look all that great. With the Spurs he would be in a structured system. He would be back home here in Texas. He would be playing next to a HOF PF. I am not looking at him to be or Savior, especially offensively. What I am looking for him to do is block shots, alter shots, rebound, and get some transition dunks. I have no problem traiding Blair, Jerrells trade exception, and a pick to get Jordan.

We need size in the middle. I want Jordan (though he is most likely unattainable) and Aaron Gray. Two legit 7 fters with some athleticism, a strong defensive presence, and the ability to clog the lane.

I also want Malcolm Thomas, because he can play both F positions....and possibly even guard some SG on the wing.

Finally, I love the Joseph pick, but he isn't ready to backup Tony. I want a Vet backup for at least if not 2. The guy I want is TJ Ford.

Finally, I want to rid the team of Dick J. I wish I knew of a scenario for someone to take him.....but the Clippers and Cavs have too many SFs already. NJ and Milwaukee don't want him back. I honestly believe he would do great with a team like PHX, NY, Orlando, Philly, Dallas, and Atlanta...these are fast paced teams who just chuck and chuck, make or miss.

All of those teams mentioned also play defense (except NY & they have Anthony anyway)

RJ needs to find a bottom feeding team where he can be the #1 option and stat pad like he did in Milwaukee.

rascal
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hello???

The spurs still have Tiago Splitter last time I checked.

The Spurs were counting on Splitter last year and he was a bust.
Pop didn't even gain enough trust in him to play him.

The spurs need to add a good proven starting caliber player on the frontline.

CGD
07-03-2011, 02:06 PM

1st

2008 - 56 games
2009 - 31 games
2010 - 76 games
2011 - 32 games
TOTAL - 195 games (59%)

The guy is totally injury-prone. If we want to gamble to give Timmy one last shot, fine. But not at the expense of Parker.

Precisely. I like like Kaman, but I don't think he'd fetch anything close to TP's talent. I think he could be had for less.

bluebellmaniac
07-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Splitter would hardly qualify as a bust. His cardinal sin was sitting out training camp with his "injury". Pop forgives not lightly. Most on this board feel he will start this next season.

jjktkk
07-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Splitter would hardly qualify as a bust. His cardinal sin was sitting out training camp with his "injury". Pop forgives not lightly. Most on this board feel he will start this next season.

Don't know about Splitter be a full time starter, but I'm expecting Splitter to dramatically improve and be the top big off the bench, if not starting part time.

Mr Fundamental
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I like this.

Don't like Mo but i hate Jefferson. So it looked good to me.

TJastal
07-04-2011, 02:46 AM

Trust my ass.

Pop didn't play him at all because of his mancrush on his favorite ginger.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Trust my ass.

Pop didn't play him at all because of his mancrush on his favorite ginger.

Do you think Pop would run the risk of losing to play a "supposed" favorite? Really?

TJastal
07-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Do you think Pop would run the risk of losing to play a "supposed" favorite? Really?

Well if it wasn't the mancrush that made him give the ginger 20 a game, what was it?

I kind of thought the mancrush angle at least gave him a modicum of respect, as opposed to your alternative (which I'm not ruling out, mind you)... that he's just plain dumb as a brick.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Well if it wasn't the mancrush that made him give the ginger 20 a game, what was it?

I kind of thought the mancrush angle at least gave him a modicum of respect, as opposed to your alternative (which I'm not ruling out, mind you)... that he's just plain dumb as a brick.

Perhaps Pop has lost a step mentally, but I don't think guys who are as dumb as a brick win 4 NBA championships in 8 years.

The Spurs model was considerably more uptempo last year - esp when Blair was in the game. It had to be since he didn't have his typical defensive players. So, they lived and died by the 3 pt line and led the league in attempts. Bonner was part of that as he for much of the early and mid season was shooting well. Now, I agree w/ you in that he's a one trick pony - no defense, low post offense or rebounding. But, he does have a place on the team. And if that's what gets you to the dance, then you stay with it.

Pop realized early on that the only way the team had a chance to go deep in the playoffs was to shoot well from 3. So, he put his 3 pt shooters in positions to make shots. They didn't and the team lost. Gamble, yes. Was it their only hope, esp. w/ Manu injured, yes. It didn't work but it doesn't mean Pop is stupid.

Russo21
07-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Perhaps Pop has lost a step mentally, but I don't think guys who are as dumb as a brick win 4 NBA championships in 8 years.

The last was in 2007 though. Times change. Those 4 championships are ancient history.

4 years is plenty of time for someone to get the early stages of dementia or some other related issue. In just 4 years the great tim duncan has gone from being the best player in the world to where he's at now. A lot changes in 4 years.

Maybe Pop's mind is fucked from sipping wine non stop for 100 years. So maybe he wasn't dumb as a brick when winning those 4 championships. Just maybe he's dumb as a brick now though. His brain cells are dieing with every sip he takes:whine:rollin

Tyrone Jenkins
07-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Perhaps - but the Spurs had the best record in the West THIS year.

It wasn't Pops fault that his best player got hurt the last game of the season (some say he shouldn't have been in the game - I say if you're playing for the best record in the NBA, you play your best players but that's another thread entirely).

It also wasn't Pops fault that Bonner and RJ both disappeared after having career bests in 3 pt % earlier in the year. You can't coach guys making 3 pters in the game. They either make or miss them and the 3 pt shots got them to where they were.

bongraider
07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
kaman=incredible mo williams={fart noises}

spurs trading for incredible fart noises? :lol

TJastal
07-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Perhaps - but the Spurs had the best record in the West THIS year.

It wasn't Pops fault that his best player got hurt the last game of the season (some say he shouldn't have been in the game - I say if you're playing for the best record in the NBA, you play your best players but that's another thread entirely).

It also wasn't Pops fault that Bonner and RJ both disappeared after having career bests in 3 pt % earlier in the year. You can't coach guys making 3 pters in the game. They either make or miss them and the 3 pt shots got them to where they were.

So was Pop playing for the best record the game before the last one?

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310412013

Chris Quinn, Steve Novak, Danny Green, & James Anderson a combined 87 minutes... wtf?

What was that all about?

ThaBigFundamental21
07-05-2011, 11:44 PM
NTY, I will pass on this awful trade. If we trade Tony it better be for a young big man, not and old injured big man, and someone else's table scraps of a PG. As far as keep the "Big 3" together, what the hell for? Parker is 29, can't play a lick of D, and has a streaky jump shot at best. He does his real damage in the paint, and he is undersized. More often than not it doesn't work in the playoffs. Usually playoff teams have size to shut him down so he is rendered useless. God knows he is a mediocre passer. Why not trade him while he has value? The Spurs have done a good job of getting younger and more athletic. Getting rid of Parker for more youth is a only a step in the right direction. He made it clear he is not interested in being in San Antonio.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2011, 12:32 AM
trade his ass to NJ for deron williams

Baseline
07-06-2011, 12:33 AM
I agree. Parker is a score-first point guard who can't shoot. He's 29 and has a lot of miles, so the amount of paint points he'll be able to get will decrease over the next few years as his wheels slow down. We know he's already lost at least a half step.

And judging from his performance against Memphis last year, maybe a full step.

I say trade him now while he has value. Granted, we don't have George Hill to step in now, but then again, did we really think George was going to be our starting PG for the next few years? George was a nice player, but he wasn't a PG.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Pop would have Mo in the doghouse half way through the pre-season! And Kaman is fragile and slow. No thanks.

Now, DeAndre Jordan, Eric Bledsoe, Al Aminu (and filler) and you've got a deal! :lmao

Tyrone Jenkins
07-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I agree. Parker is a score-first point guard who can't shoot. He's 29 and has a lot of miles, so the amount of paint points he'll be able to get will decrease over the next few years as his wheels slow down. We know he's already lost at least a half step.

And judging from his performance against Memphis last year, maybe a full step.

I say trade him now while he has value. Granted, we don't have George Hill to step in now, but then again, did we really think George was going to be our starting PG for the next few years? George was a nice player, but he wasn't a PG.

Agree.

I've mentioned this several times before - PGs are a dime a dozen. Just about all of the Spurs good guards (point and shooting) were LATE 1st round draft picks. The same things we're saying about Cory Joseph now (too immature/raw to back up TP, not strong enough, might not have been the starting PG for his college team next year, blah blah blah) are some of the same things we said about TP when he was drafted.

Trading TP is no big deal actually. Another good PG (maybe even one who's just as capable offensively but plays better D and can hit the 3) will be along shortly...