PDA

View Full Version : Ranking SW Division for Next Year

wildbill2u
07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
In the off season we can speculate, cuss and discuss on the ranking of teams in the toughest division in the NBA--our very own SW division.

There will be several rankings put forth by various sportswriters in the coming months but here is the first I found.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20275

Spurs fall behind Memphis to 3rd spot in this one. They beat us badly in the playoffs so it may be a fair argument.

GSH
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
At the moment, they will all wind up tied with a record of 0-0. How about waiting until the lockout is (hopefully) concluded, and the trades are concluded, before speculating on which team will be best?

Better still? If you have nothing to post... don't post anything.

Proxy
07-02-2011, 09:45 PM
At the moment, they will all wind up tied with a record of 0-0. How about waiting until the lockout is (hopefully) concluded, and the trades are concluded, before speculating on which team will be best?

You're so cool

wildbill2u
07-02-2011, 10:13 PM

There will be all sorts of sportwriters with opinions in the coming months.

You got something better to do during the offseason than talk about the future season, I have no problem with your decision. Go do it.

Sean Cagney
07-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Ranks 1-whatever next year since there will not be a damn season :(

wildbill2u
07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Ranks 1-whatever next year since there will not be a damn season :(

It might be shortened, but neither side can afford to lose the whole damn season.

Cane
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
There's a lot of personnel movement in store and the Hornets could even be relocated by the start of the next NBA season; these rankings are kinda early but its the offseason.

The Hornets, Mavs, and Grizz can potentially lose a lot of important winning pieces and the Mavs already lost assistant coach Dwane Casey, FWIW. OJ Mayo, Chandler, Gasol, Barea, Stevenson, Butler, and all of the Hornets bigs except Okafor could find a new team in free agency.

It might be shortened, but neither side can afford to lose the whole damn season.

Owners can especially the ones that want to see a hard cap. They seem willing to sacrifice a season in the short term for long term viability.

Proxy
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Hoopsworld ranked them based on their postseason success. It's not like they made any bold statements by doing so... but i can't necessarily disagree with them.

I think the Mavs resign Chandler, but lose JJ and Stevenson, and let Butler go. JJ is the biggest loss, but they'll have Boubois this year, so I guess we'll all see if he can fill his shoes. I would predict not. There won't be a repeat in Dallas.

Same with the Grizz. I'm not aware of their cap space or anything, but I would think they would resign Gasol to a pretty big contract, and lose OJ in the process. That's a huge offensive hit. Memphis would be going through an offensive drought, and OJ would come off the bench and provide the spark.

Our Spurs, I think, are going to be making tons of moves. I'm putting m faith in RC, and hoping that with the signing of Leonard, and having Anderson, that RJ becomes expendable in the sense that his absence doesn't leave us short at the SF position.
It would be nice if Dice "retired" so that we could use his expiring contract, and if SA is a contender by the end of the season, he can jump back on, Glenn Robinson-style. My hopes are also that Blair is traded. He's too much of a size disadvantage.
I think we'll get back to our defensive roots next season... whenever that is.

Don't care about HOU or NO... they're irrelevant imo.

Spurs
Mavs
Grizz
Rox
Hornets

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::flag::lobt2:

rascal
07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Too early to make predictions. Rosters will be changed when play starts up.

SenorSpur
07-03-2011, 01:45 PM
In the off season we can speculate, cuss and discuss on the ranking of teams in the toughest division in the NBA--our very own SW division.

There will be several rankings put forth by various sportswriters in the coming months but here is the first I found.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20275

Spurs fall behind Memphis to 3rd spot in this one. They beat us badly in the playoffs so it may be a fair argument.

I certainly think that's fair.

dbestpro
07-03-2011, 02:03 PM
As others have said it is better to say next season than next year. The attitudes of owners verses players is as bad as it has ever been in any sport.
Bottom line, owners are losing too much money by the books. It is the same books and accounting practices that are used by every business in America including those owned by the players. Owners will not open the doors until they show probability of profit by the books, and take back control of their teams.

sananspursfan21
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
wow. fine if they wanna rank dallas as first, but to say that they will chip again next year and be serious contenders for the next FEW years is a huge overstatement. gotta love that hoopsworld