PDA

View Full Version : what happens to rookies during the lockout

ivanfromwestwood
07-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Does the players union hold camps? Where can we find a copy of the player bylaws.

ducks
07-04-2011, 08:22 PM
they bring donuts to the players when they practice without spurs coaches

DMX7
07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
They look like idiots, especially the ones that came out early.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
lol no income, must do something...flip burgers?

GSH
07-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Nothing happens to most of them, unless they find ho's that take IOU's.

Seriously - I guess the union could hold camps. Not sure what use that would be, but there's nothing stopping them. Players can get together with other players, as long as no one involved with the team is involved. No coaches, scouts, trainers, nutritionists, manicurists, ball boys. None of em.

Batum arranged some kind of exhibition game in France. That's allowed. But I think that they have to be non-profit affairs, or the players have to have insurance. But I bet if they were using a team playbook, and the NBA found out, they'd be busted.

Rookies are just screwed. And, yeah, the ones who came out early really better be star caliber. Because the ones who still need work are really at a disadvantage.

Dunc n Dave
07-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I'm sure many of the 1st rounders are able to easily secure loans (from banks, or their sports agencies, etc.), since they are guaranteed money that can be used to pay the loans back when the lock out eventually ends. Even some rookie 2nd rounders might be able to get a short term high interest loan based on future earned income, but the undrafted rookies are up a creek without a paddle when it comes to money to get them through the lockout.

MOST will be fine... They haven't jumped into the high roller lifestyle yet, so they can wait a few more months before taking the plunge.

Gutter92
07-05-2011, 02:15 AM
So uh, can the Spurs players decide to hold their own practices? If they do, can they invite everyone but Bonner and hope he demands a trade when the season starts?

ivanfromwestwood
07-05-2011, 05:17 AM
What are the chances we see rookies go overseas?

Bruno
07-05-2011, 05:58 AM
It would be a good idea if the the NBAPA do like the NFLPA and organize the rookie transition program this year. The lockout is more difficult for rookies than for other players because they haven't earned tons of money.

In addition, and even if it will never happen, it would be great if the player association or even player could financially help with loans rookies that are in a difficult financial situation. It would show ten times more than players are united than doing some "STAND" T-Shirts.

JP le Requin
07-05-2011, 06:20 AM
and what happens for the next lottery which seem to be a really better since 2003 or closer 2008?
i mean all team will be in lottery or what?

Dunc n Dave
07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
and what happens for the next lottery which seem to be a really better since 2003 or closer 2008?
i mean all team will be in lottery or what?

If we go by past history, the NHL repeated the same order from the previous year's draft. My guess is everyone gets the same % of ping pong balls they had in this past draft lottery and they redraw for the top 3 spots. The Spurs will still be stuck with the 29th pick though.

ivanfromwestwood
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
It would be a good idea if the the NBAPA do like the NFLPA and organize the rookie transition program this year. The lockout is more difficult for rookies than for other players because they haven't earned tons of money.

In addition, and even if it will never happen, it would be great if the player association or even player could financially help with loans rookies that are in a difficult financial situation. It would show ten times more than players are united than doing some "STAND" T-Shirts.this is what i was wondering. seems kinda harsh to expect the rookies to wait out the lockout with not a penny in their pocket.

what are the players dues and what gets paid out of that fund? im sure they can set up a fund to help in this regard. seems like the NBPA should do a better job of protecting its brothers.

cheguevara
07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
they sell rocks in da hood

Bruno
07-06-2011, 05:26 AM
this is what i was wondering. seems kinda harsh to expect the rookies to wait out the lockout with not a penny in their pocket.

what are the players dues and what gets paid out of that fund? im sure they can set up a fund to help in this regard. seems like the NBPA should do a better job of protecting its brothers.

Even if players are able to find an agreement league wide to give some loans too rookies (at least first round picks whose will likely get a guaranteed contract), it could be solve team by team.

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, RJ and Dice have earned a lot of money in their career. They should contact Kawhi Leonard and Cory Joseph to know if they need some money if there is still a lockout in a couple of months.

ivanfromwestwood
07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Even if players are able to find an agreement league wide to give some loans too rookies (at least first round picks whose will likely get a guaranteed contract), it could be solve team by team.

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, RJ and Dice have earned a lot of money in their career. They should contact Kawhi Leonard and Cory Joseph to know if they need some money if there is still a lockout in a couple of months.I agree. im a union sheetmetal worker and whenever guys are out of work or get laid off, we have several funds to help with bills, medical fees, attorney fees. we do not let our brothers starve. being a union member is not about uniting to get the most money. its about helping one another

baseline bum
07-06-2011, 07:40 PM
A bunch of the rookies will probably get screwed by their agents, who will front them money and demand points back on it.