PDA

View Full Version : Don't expect to see separation of church and Spurs

Kori Ellis
06-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Don't expect to see separation of church and Spurs
Web Posted: 06/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061205.2S.COL.BKNgriffin.304fa9a34.html

San Antonio Express-News

San Antonio's link with the Spurs will be reinforced this morning from pulpits across the city.

The city's sole big-league franchise unifies San Antonio, providing a common reference point for all of its residents.

Don't expect Father David Garcia, rector at San Fernando Cathedral to wear a "Go Spurs Go" button on his vestment for his televised mass.

But don't be surprised if he drops in a reference or two about Manu Ginobili or Tim Duncan during his weekly homily.

"My style is to deal with the events of the day and try to apply it to the gospel," Garcia said. "Whether it is basketball or the Spurs or other events, I try to make it relevant to people's lives. And sports is clearly on people's minds with the way the Spurs are playing."

He won't be the only minister who brings up the Spurs.

"We aren't going to put the Spurs logo on any of our votive candles," Garcia said, chuckling. "It will still be Our Lady of Guadalupe. But I do expect a bunch of people to ask me to pray for the Spurs when they leave the church today."

I bet a bunch of other ministers at mosques, chapels and synagogues over the next few days will be hearing the same pleas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANU VS. ICEMAN

Is Manu better than “The Iceman” ?

After his epic fourth-quarter performance in Game 1, Manu Ginobili’s star power has never been hotter. Look across the city if you don’t believe it. From billboards and t-shirt to commercials and newspaper headlines, the Spurs’ third-year guard is dominating the city’s attention like he did Detroit’s backcourt. With this emergence, Ginobili might be challenging the appeal of the Spurs Hall of Fame guard George “The Iceman” Gervin.

How do these two players rank:

On offense – Gervin had a sweet outside jumper, but was famed for his artistry with his patented “finger roll” shot in the lane. He also was his team’s No. 1 offensive weapon and faced double-team during much of his career. Ginobili benefits by playing next to Tim Duncan, which provides him with a lot of open looks at the basket. He also is strong driving to the basket, especially with his crossover dribble he employs against trapping defenses. Edge – Gervin.

On defense – Ginobili has a knack for taking risks that often turn out to be big plays. He also is playing in a system that puts a premium on defense. Defense and the “Iceman?” Gervin often approached defense as merely a time-consuming proposition before getting another shot. Edge – Ginobili.

Nickname – Former ABA guard Roland “Fatty” Taylor gave Gervin the nickname of “Ice” because he could drop 25 points and not break a sweat. That beats Manu’s nickname of “The Flopper” from NBA opponents or Brent Mussburger’s weak effort of “The Gaucho.” Edge – Gervin.

The bling and the rings – Manu’s got one ring– and could be in line for several more – to go along with his Olympic gold medal. Gervin has all those trophies that can be seen at his sports bar at San Antonio International Airport. Edge – Ginobili.

Marketability – Both are self-effacing pitchmen. Gervin got a nice bit of national run and is still see hawking cars in San Antonio. But Manu’s appeal stretches over several languages and will grow past his early start for cable. His bit with Tony Parker is the best of the NBA’s recent advertising campaign. Edge – Ginobili.

Best catch phrase – Gervin’s has his old shoe commercials featuring “If there’s one thing I can do, it’s finger-roll.” Manu is known for his “I’m still a Time-Warner customer.” Edge – Gervin. The words reverberate 20 years later.

Hall of Fame – Gervin is in Springfield, but Manu could get there one day. Several NBA pundits have said that Ginobili could develop into the NBA’s greatest international player. Edge – Gervin.

Conclusion – Gervin was San Antonio’s first superstar and gave the city a basketball identity as the Spurs joined the NBA and emerged as a power. But Ginobili could surpass him – particularly in the NBA’s burgeoning international market – if the Spurs keep winning. The city is there for the taking, too. Edge – Gervin, but Ginobili is closing the gap fast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST OF SEVEN

Which Spur has the best hair?

Ginger Hanna, Sportsmen Barber Shop: "I like Tony Parker's. It looks good when it's faded."

Albert Arroyo, Albert's Barber Shop: "(Manu) Ginobili's looks good, but I think it needs some fixing. Let me have a chance to shape it up a little."

Ken Nutt, Ken's Barber Shop: "I may as well go with Ginobili, because he has long flowing hair, just like me. But if he keeps that long hair, he's going to end up looking like me one day."

Colleen Escamilla, Sportsmen Barber Shop: "The best to me is Robert Horry's. He keeps it nice and neat — a lot of them don't."

Baldemar Flores, Ken's Barber Shop: "A bunch of those guys have got bald heads. But I like Tony Parker's haircut the best because he keeps it neat."

Willie Cedillo, Willie's Barber Shop: "Short hair is in style now. The best looking hair is Tim Duncan, because it's really short and tight, and he keeps it cut really neat."

Julio Fuente, Julio's Hair Care: "I was talking about this with a customer a few minutes ago. I think I like Ginobili's because it's nice and long. I don't like any of those bald guys on either team."

CHAMPIONSHIP MOMENTS

Blazers 106, Pistons 105 (OT)

June 7, 1990

Clifford Robinson blocked James Edwards' shot at the buzzer, preserving the only victory for the Portland Trail Blazers over the Detroit Pistons in the 1990 Finals.

Clyde Drexler scored 33 points and Terry Porter added 21 points and 10 assists for the Trail Blazers, who overcame deficits of three points with 49 seconds left in regulation and four points with 90 seconds left in overtime.

Detroit was paced by 26 points each from Edwards and Bill Laimbeer, who tied Michael Cooper's Finals record with six 3-pointers.

Detroit jumped ahead early and extended its lead to 11 points late in the first quarter. Portland took advantage of 13 first-half Pistons turnovers for a 53-45 halftime lead.

John Salley's three-point play gave the Pistons a 94-91 lead with 49 seconds left in regulation. Portland tied the score when Drexler hit a free throw, and Jerome Kersey added two foul shots with 10 seconds left. Isiah Thomas misfired on an 18-footer at the buzzer in regulation, forcing overtime.

Laimbeer hit three threes in overtime. His final shot gave Detroit its last lead at 105-104 with 4.1 seconds remaining. Drexler then hit two foul shots with 2.1 seconds left to provide the winning margin.

mouse
06-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Funny how these priest don't mention the spurs when they are losing. :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-12-2005, 01:49 AM
I think Manu's true catch phrase is "Get your Manu travel mug."