PDA

View Full Version : Obama asks for stay of execution in Texas

jack sommerset
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
fu barry

In 1994, Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. was convicted of rape and murder and sentenced to death. Few doubt that he's guilty of the crime, but an omission in the handling of his case may make things tough for American citizens arrested abroad: Leal wasn't told that he could contact the Mexican Consulate.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/obama-asks-stay-execution-texas-165829939.html

Drachen
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
fu barry

In 1994, Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. was convicted of rape and murder and sentenced to death. Few doubt that he's guilty of the crime, but an omission in the handling of his case may make things tough for American citizens arrested abroad: Leal wasn't told that he could contact the Mexican Consulate.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/obama-asks-stay-execution-texas-165829939.html

what do you think of the highlighted part?

edit: shoot, even GWB asked for this.

George Gervin's Afro
07-06-2011, 09:01 PM
:married:

jack lacks the ability to think

jack sommerset
07-06-2011, 09:38 PM

“Officers reported that she was nude and lying on her back and that a bloody and broken stick protruded from her vagina"

That's what I think

jack sommerset
07-06-2011, 09:40 PM
:married:

jack lacks the ability to think

If this was your son that was brutally raped/killed by this animal you wouldn't be saying a thing.

Winehole23
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
/fu barry

Spurminator
07-07-2011, 12:07 AM
While he may be technically right, this is a case I have a hard time getting worked up over, and I don't think this is a battle Obama should be getting into with his future Presidential opponent.

Winehole23
07-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Will people give us consular access when we are jailed abroad if we deny it to others?

George Gervin's Afro
07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
If this was your son that was brutally raped/killed by this animal you wouldn't be saying a thing.

No problem with the death penalty for child killers... the problem jack is that Americans need to be afforded the same rights in other countries, especially Mexico.....

comprende?

Drachen
07-07-2011, 09:13 AM

I don't understand, why would I want to give him the easy way out?

Spurminator
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Will people give us consular access when we are jailed abroad if we deny it to others?

Garcia has been in the U.S. since he was two years old. He was a Mexican citizen by definition only. I don't think this compares to a case where a recent immigrant commits a crime.

I acknowledge that we should always go by the strict definition to prevent gray areas like "how long until an immigrant loses his right to contact his consulate?" I'm just saying this isn't the case I'd choose to go to battle on if I were the President. If he loses, the precedent is then set for states like Texas to deny these rights to a wider variety of immigrants.

Winehole23
07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Garcia has been in the U.S. since he was two years old. He was a Mexican citizen by definition only. I don't think this compares to a case where a recent immigrant commits a crime. Does not extinguish the interest of Mexico in its own citizens, or the consular privileges attached thereto. One of the political tracks is international.

Oh, Gee!!
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM
he probably knows the execution will go on as planned and will use this only as a show of "good faith" to the international community. If he does or says anything beyond this about this particular case, he'll look very bad.

Oh, Gee!!
07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

George Gervin's Afro
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
he probably knows the execution will go on as planned and will use this only as a show of "good faith" to the international community. If he does or says anything beyond this about this particular case, he'll look very bad.

This

Spurminator
07-07-2011, 10:23 AM

It's already a no-win situation for him domestically.

Oh, Gee!!
07-07-2011, 11:06 AM
It's already a no-win situation for him domestically.

It will blow over by the time elections come around. It might cost him Texas, but did he really ever have chance of winning the state?

SnakeBoy
07-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Good point. If this execution goes forward it may become a very unpleasant experience to be jailed in Mexico.

Winehole23
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Never had all that great a reputation, but yeah. Could get worse.

jack sommerset
07-07-2011, 12:38 PM

No problem with the death penalty for child killers... the problem jack is that Americans need to be afforded the same rights in other countries, especially Mexico.....

comprende?

Never said you did.

Comprende?

jack sommerset
07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't understand, why would I want to give him the easy way out?

I know why you don't understand. I never said I wanted him to have a easy way out.

Drachen
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I know why you don't understand. I never said I wanted him to have a easy way out.

You want to kill him... that is the coward's way out. Screw that, let him rot in jail. Put him in GP.

jack sommerset
07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
You want to kill him... that is the coward's way out. Screw that, let him rot in jail. Put him in GP.

LoL@cowards way out. Hopefully the Supreme Court doesn't bail this child rapist/murderer out and they can do what we should have done over a decade ago.

Apparently your compinche doesn't want to die so death row can't be all that bad for him.

Drachen
07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
LoL@cowards way out. Hopefully the Supreme Court doesn't bail this child rapist/murderer out and they can do what we should have done over a decade ago.

Apparently your compinche doesn't want to die so death row can't be all that bad for him.

was this an attempt at a clever way of saying compadre? Look everyone JS can fire some neurons.

Why would you want to let him stay on death row? I just said that this is bad punishment. Why do you keep wanting to lighten up on a violent criminal Jack? Drop him down into 3-person-per-cell GP is all I am saying. I actually want someone like this to, you know, be punished. Give him time to be tormented by his decisions, and if he never gets tormented by his decisions, at least he can be tormented by his cohabitants. THIS is the primary reason that I am against the death penalty. You conservatives just keep wanting to let these horrendous criminals forgo paying the piper. Tough on crime my ass.

SnakeBoy
07-07-2011, 03:12 PM
You conservatives just keep wanting to let these horrendous criminals forgo paying the piper.

Some would argue that they are just sending him to meet the piper. You do make a strong argument that progressives are more cruel and vengeful than conservatives though.

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I say no problem, let him talk to the consulate right up until they strap him to the gurney. There is no apparent question that he killed the girl and was guilty. talking to the consulate then would not have changed the ultimate outcome.

Drachen
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Some would argue that they are just sending him to meet the piper. You do make a strong argument that progressives are more cruel and vengeful than conservatives though.

I can see how you would come to that conclusion, but I can only speak for myself.

jack sommerset
07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
was this an attempt at a clever way of saying compadre? Look everyone JS can fire some neurons.

Why would you want to let him stay on death row? I just said that this is bad punishment. Why do you keep wanting to lighten up on a violent criminal Jack? Drop him down into 3-person-per-cell GP is all I am saying. I actually want someone like this to, you know, be punished. Give him time to be tormented by his decisions, and if he never gets tormented by his decisions, at least he can be tormented by his cohabitants. THIS is the primary reason that I am against the death penalty. You conservatives just keep wanting to let these horrendous criminals forgo paying the piper. Tough on crime my ass.

I never said I wanted him to stay on death row or lighten up any punishment.

If you want to spew nonsense about being against the death penalty please start a thread or bring one back from the dead. I'm sure there has been a few here. I, 100 percent do not believe you are tough on crime but whatever and labeling me a conservative along with sterotyping all them is just plain stupid.

2 more hours!!!!

Drachen
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I never said I wanted him to stay on death row or lighten up any punishment.

If you want to spew nonsense about being against the death penalty please start a thread or bring one back from the dead. I'm sure there has been a few here. I, 100 percent do not believe you are tough on crime but whatever and labeling me a conservative along with sterotyping all them is just plain stupid.

2 more hours!!!!

For once I agree with you. I was out of order since this thread isn't about if one agrees with the death penalty or not (I, therefore, won't respond to anything else in the quoted post), and more about if one finds that it is worth the risk to Americans abroad to kill this man.

(my answer to this is that it is not worth the risk, he is already getting the easy way out, don't let him cause any more suffering as he walks out that easy door)

PM5K
07-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I always thought the whole point of it all was that it would suck to be charged with a serious crime in another country when you don't know the laws, customs, or languages.

Think Red Corner starring Richard Gere, if you've seen it.

This guy however, has been here since he was two, so as far as I'm concerned, fuck him, a stupid technicality shouldn't save his ass.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
FWIW, SCOTUS said they're not getting involved. That was about an hour ago.

PM5K
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on it, we should hear about the Governor soon.

SnakeBoy
07-07-2011, 06:14 PM
FWIW, SCOTUS said they're not getting involved. That was about an hour ago.

His execution was set for 6. Dude should be meeting his maker right about now then.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Just for discussion sake:

I get that there's this treaty about how foreign nationals are supposed to be advised that they can contact their consulate. Don't have a problem with that. But in order for the cop to know whether or not he's supposed to advise some foreign national about their right to contact the consulate, doesn't that cop need to inquire about that person's immigration status? And aren't a bunch of people against having cops check people's immigration status?

So what's a cop supposed to do?

PM5K
07-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Another scum bag bites the dust.

Her last moments included being beaten, raped, having a fifteen inch long stick with a screw on the end of it put in her vagina, and a chunk of asphalt crushing her skull.

This guy got to eat fried chicken, pico de gallo, and guisada tacos. The most pain he felt was the prick of a needle in his skin.

LnGrrrR
07-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Another scum bag bites the dust.

Her last moments included being beaten, raped, having a fifteen inch long stick with a screw on the end of it put in her vagina, and a chunk of asphalt crushing her skull.

This guy got to eat fried chicken, pico de gallo, and guisada tacos. The most pain he felt was the prick of a needle in his skin.

Eh, incarceration shouldn't be about punishment, revenge or any other sort of thing to me. Is it cathartic? Sure. But the true meaning of jails is to just get the crazies away from society, in my eyes.

PM5K
07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Well he's pretty far away from society now.

Not a big Rick Perry fan but I like him a little more today than I did yesterday.

ElNono
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Just for discussion sake:

I get that there's this treaty about how foreign nationals are supposed to be advised that they can contact their consulate. Don't have a problem with that. But in order for the cop to know whether or not he's supposed to advise some foreign national about their right to contact the consulate, doesn't that cop need to inquire about that person's immigration status? And aren't a bunch of people against having cops check people's immigration status?

So what's a cop supposed to do?

I don't know that's necessarily the function of the cop. The guy was obviously tried, and he probably had a public defendant assigned to him. That's probably the guy that 'screwed up'.

To be honest, there's just a handful of countries that actually have a respectable system of justice nowadays. Those countries are very likely to respect treaties, contact embassies, etc regardless of this execution, tbh.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't know that's necessarily the function of the cop. The guy was obviously tried, and he probably had a public defendant assigned to him. That's probably the guy that 'screwed up'.

To be honest, there's just a handful of countries that actually have a respectable system of justice nowadays. Those countries are very likely to respect treaties, contact embassies, etc regardless of this execution, tbh.

I don't think it should be the function of the cop either, but that certainly appears to be what all the fuss is about.

Blake
07-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Not a big Rick Perry fan but I like him a little more today than I did yesterday.

He's still the same self-serving ass today as he was yesterday, imo.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has rejected requests from the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, diplomats, judges, former President George W. Bush, retired military officials and now, the Obama administration, to stay the execution. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles rejected the request for a stay yesterday, though Perry could still grant a 30-day delay....

..."As retired military leaders, we understand that the preservation of consular access protections is especially important for US military personnel, who when serving our country overseas are at greater risk of being arrested by a foreign government," wrote Rear Admiral Don Guter, USN, Rear Admiral John D. Hutson, USN, and Brigadier General James P. Cullen, USA in a letter to Perry.

No good reason not to appease everyone and grant a 30 day stay.

Perry's a jackass.

redzero
07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
And nothing of value was lost.

Eh, incarceration shouldn't be about punishment, revenge or any other sort of thing to me. Is it cathartic? Sure. But the true meaning of jails is to just get the crazies away from society, in my eyes.

I think it's for both punishment and keeping criminals away from society. Oh, and rehabilitation.

Cuckolded Sissy
07-08-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.chimpout.com/forum/images/smilies/postpics.gif

baseline bum
07-08-2011, 12:26 AM
His execution was set for 6. Dude should be meeting his maker right about now then.

His dad was there?

baseline bum
07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Good point. If this execution goes forward it may become a very unpleasant experience to be jailed in Mexico.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Those countries are very likely to respect treaties, contact embassies, etc regardless of this execution, tbh.The pertinent example is our neighbor, Mexico, who we just screwed.

Winehole23
07-09-2011, 01:17 AM
I say no problem, let him talk to the consulate right up until they strap him to the gurney. There is no apparent question that he killed the girl and was guilty. talking to the consulate then would not have changed the ultimate outcome.Might have affected the sentencing phase had there been consular access at the time. Quien sabe?