PDA

View Full Version : Report: Deron williams to play in turkey??

Pistons < Spurs
07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Beşiktaş Cola Turka, briefly known as the team employing Allen Iverson (remember him?), has reportedly agreed to terms with another, perhaps more reliable American NBA baller. Turkey-based sports news outlet NTV Spor announced today that Deron Williams of the New Jersey Nets will be joining the TBL club (http://www.ntvspor.net/haber/basketbol/43792/besiktastan-deron-williams-ve-zaza-pachulia-hamlesi) for the 2011-12 with an out clause, should the NBA lockout end.

Williams stands to earn some $16 million with Mikhail Prokhorov’s team, should a season be played.

http://www.ballineurope.com/us-basketball/nba/report-deron-williams-to-besiktas-cola-turka-4379/

Halberto
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/protestwarriors/ScannersExplodingHead.gif

Booharv
07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Not likely. USA Basketball has to give him a FIBA release since he's under contract for next year. Very doubtful they'll do that.

ducks
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
The same team rumored to be picking up Vince Carter, now appears to have signed DERON WILLIAMS of the New Jersey Nets. According to BallinEurope.com

ducks
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Not likely. USA Basketball has to give him a FIBA release since he's under contract for next year. Very doubtful they'll do that.

why
they are locked out
no contract right now....

owners have less leverage now :lmao

Kori Ellis
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

The coach of the Turkey team confirmed the contract, so I think it's done.

Also ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6745426

Players under contract like Williams would typically need a letter of clearance from FIBA -- the sport's world governing body -- to play anywhere else.

But the NBA Players Association has privately maintained for months that it intends to legally challenge any attempt by the NBA or FIBA to block a player such as Williams from playing elsewhere while the NBA has imposed a work stoppage.

"If they try to stop him," one source said of Williams, "the union will fight it."

hater
07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
there is no NBA. All players including Duncan + Manu can go play anywhere they please

I am actually surprised noone from Europe has got Manu. His experience in Euro play woudl make him top candidate.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
There shouldn't be any big problem with Deron playing overseas. Any contractual issue can be easily defeated. The NBA can't stop him from getting a job.

Spur_Fanatic
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
The coach of the Turkey team confirmed the contract, so I think it's done.

Also ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6745426

The NBA may shit on their pants if the union threatens, but doubt the FIBA cares, since there's nothing the players can do to twist the FIBA arm (unlike the NBA). In fact, international players, like Manu, Gasol and Dirk have more leverage on the FIBA than normal NBA players, no matter the superstar status.

ducks
07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
there is no NBA. All players including Duncan + Manu can go play anywhere they please

I am actually surprised noone from Europe has got Manu. His experience in Euro play woudl make him top candidate.

manu is getting up there
they know that

TimmehC
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
If the Nets try to stop him, they forfeit any chance they have of getting him to sign an extension.

baseline bum
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Haha, good for Deron. I hope other stars follow suit.

TE
07-07-2011, 03:40 PM
manu is getting up there
they know that

But Manu is better in Parker, didn't you know this ducks?

ducks
07-07-2011, 03:56 PM
But Manu is better in Parker, didn't you know this ducks?

tp has nothing to do with manu not getting picked up by euro team

pass1st
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Everybody going to play abroad would probably give the players actual leverage and make the lockout last the entire season and thereafter.

jimo2305
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Haha, good for Deron. I hope other stars follow suit.

this

ChumpDumper
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
There's not enough money or open roster spots overseas to make it that big a deal.

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
how m uch will he be paid? turkish delight and kebabs?

Cane
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
So a NBA max-worthy star is willing to play for $5 million per season in Turkey? Owners must love that! :downspin:

I wonder what old Jerry Sloan thinks about this :toast

Spur_Fanatic
07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
If he gets injured, he is screwed. Gutsy, but stupid.
You can get away with murder in a euro court.

DPG21920
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Keep in mind that their leagues aren't nearly as arduous as the NBA season. Their seasons are about half as long. So while the money isn't great, on a per game basis it isn't bad. It's not about luring top name players away for good, but it's about now there is actually an avenue for players to go overseas in the event of a lockout (or hell, even if you are a decent player like Childress in a regular year) and still make solid money playing ball. Losing their contract and NBA pay is definitely a hit, but they can withstand it because of this to a certain degree.

Spur_Fanatic
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think they lose their contract money. They do lose their insurance, I believe.
Which means that if they get injured, they don't get paid (by the NBA-owner team). I could be wrong.

And though the shedule is easier in Europe... the game is very physical there. There won't be much ref protection, and the other players would love to test some NBA player meat and showcase a little.

DPG21920
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
They lose their NBA contract money when there is a lockout. That is the whole point.

mathbzh
07-08-2011, 02:57 AM
There's not enough money or open roster spots overseas to make it that big a deal.

I am curious to know if signing a NBA superstar could be a good financial move for a European team.

A superstar would probably imply more exposition, more merchandising, more ticket sales... I wonder how much money that would generate.

endrity
07-08-2011, 10:25 AM
One great thing that might happen with all of this is a real NBA fantasy drat of sorts.

Imagine if all the great stars decide to go and play for a year in Europe. They'd all be FAs and they all know that any money they can get is good money, since the NBA is not paying them.

You could envision a scenario where a bunch of these guys team up with each other to play for a year, kind of like what they want to be able to do in the NBA, but with much more freedom. Imagine the possible storylines, who is playing where, which star is teaming up with what other star and what that tells us about the respect/relationships players develop. Most importantly imagine a Barcelona - CSKA Moscow Euroleague Final with a bunch of NBA stars playing in it. Do the NBA historians remember this as a virtual NBA championship anyway? If LeBron wins an Euroleague where he defeats Kobe, Dirk, Rose, Howard, does that means he proves he can win a champion even if he didn't do it in the NBA?

Would two of the richest European cities in Paris and London create some ad-hoc team sponsored by rich owners, and finally compete in the Euroleague?

I'd love it to be honest. I'd love even more the kind of stuff Bill Simmons would write about this. It might end up being a remarkable season if it happens.

pass1st
07-09-2011, 01:24 PM
might as well go play pick-up ball with 4th graders instead of play in the euro-league

d12 had the right idea

MeB6CiGjkio

DazedAndConfused
07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
The NBA players should compromise to a level that they truly feel is fair and best for the league as a whole to make sure it is healthy. If the owners still won't budge and are insistent that the players pay for their financial mistakes, all NBA player should make a mass exodus overseas and leave the NBA altogether.

Let Stern and his Jew ass rot for all I care. It's about time he steps down.

Pelicans78
07-09-2011, 02:12 PM
The NBA players should compromise to a level that they truly feel is fair and best for the league as a whole to make sure it is healthy. If the owners still won't budge and are insistent that the players pay for their financial mistakes, all NBA player should make a mass exodus overseas and leave the NBA altogether.

Let Stern and his Jew ass rot for all I care. It's about time he steps down.

I agree 100% with this post.