PDA

View Full Version : Economist: blame for deficit negotiation impasse directly at the feet of Republicans

Th'Pusher
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
America's debt
Shame on them
The Republicans are playing a cynical political game with hugely high economic stakes

IN THREE weeks, if there is no political deal, the American government will go into default. Not, one must pray, on its sovereign debt. But the country will have to stop paying someone: perhaps pensioners, or government suppliers, or soldiers. That would be damaging enough at a time of economic fragility. And the longer such a default went on, the greater the risk of provoking a genuine bond crisis would become.

There is no good economic reason why this should be happening. America’s net indebtedness is a perfectly affordable 65% of GDP, and throughout the past three years of recession and tepid recovery investors have been more than happy to go on lending to the federal government. The current problems, rather, are political. Under America’s elaborate separation of powers, Congress must authorise any extension of the debt ceiling, which now stands at $14.3 trillion. Back in May the government bumped up against that limit, but various accounting dodges have been used to keep funds flowing. It is now reckoned that these wheezes will be exhausted by August 2nd.

The House of Representatives, under Republican control as a result of last November’s mid-term elections, has balked at passing the necessary bill. That is perfectly reasonable: until recently the Republicans had been exercising their clear electoral mandate to hold the government of Barack Obama to account, insisting that they will not permit a higher debt ceiling until agreement is reached on wrenching cuts to public spending. Until they started to play hardball in this way, Mr Obama had been deplorably insouciant about the medium-term picture, repeatedly failing in his budgets and his state-of-the-union speeches to offer any path to a sustainable deficit. Under heavy Republican pressure, he has been forced to rethink.
Related topics

Now, however, the Republicans are pushing things too far. Talks with the administration ground to a halt last month, despite an offer from the Democrats to cut at least $2 trillion and possibly much more out of the budget over the next ten years. Assuming that the recovery continues, that would be enough to get the deficit back to a prudent level. As The Economist went to press, Mr Obama seemed set to restart the talks.

The sticking-point is not on the spending side. It is because the vast majority of Republicans, driven on by the wilder-eyed members of their party and the cacophony of conservative media, are clinging to the position that not a single cent of deficit reduction must come from a higher tax take. This is economically illiterate and disgracefully cynical.

A gamble where you bet your country’s good name

This newspaper has a strong dislike of big government; we have long argued that the main way to right America’s finances is through spending cuts. But you cannot get there without any tax rises. In Britain, for instance, the coalition government aims to tame its deficit with a 3:1 ratio of cuts to hikes. America’s tax take is at its lowest level for decades: even Ronald Reagan raised taxes when he needed to do so.

And the closer you look, the more unprincipled the Republicans look. Earlier this year House Republicans produced a report noting that an 85%-15% split between spending cuts and tax rises was the average for successful fiscal consolidations, according to historical evidence. The White House is offering an 83%-17% split (hardly a huge distance) and a promise that none of the revenue increase will come from higher marginal rates, only from eliminating loopholes. If the Republicans were real tax reformers, they would seize this offer.

Both parties have in recent months been guilty of fiscal recklessness. Right now, though, the blame falls clearly on the Republicans. Independent voters should take note.http://www.economist.com/node/18928600

Liberal rag

coyotes_geek
07-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm inclined to agree. If a deal doesn't get done because the republicans refuse to budge from their "100% cuts" position, it is on them. The question though is whether republicans have been touting that position because that's really all they'll agree to? Or are they thinking that they can get something better than 83%-17% by getting Obama to blink?

Wild Cobra
07-07-2011, 06:48 PM
One important point is wrong. At the end of FY 2010, the debt was 93.2% of GDP. It is expected to be 102.6% when FY 2011 of tabulated.

Wild Cobra
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm inclined to agree. If a deal doesn't get done because the republicans refuse to budge from their "100% cuts" position, it is on them. The question though is whether republicans have been touting that position because that's really all they'll agree to? Or are they thinking that they can get something better than 83%-17% by getting Obama to blink?
I say just print the money to cover the expenditures. Devalue the dollar against all foreign currencies. This will make imports more expensive and become part of the equation to bring manufacturing here again.

Th'Pusher
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Based on their tone today, it sounds like the Republicans are finally moving on closing tax loopholes. We'll see, but I'm feel pretty confident a deal will be made after what I heard today.

Th'Pusher
07-07-2011, 07:20 PM
One important point is wrong. At the end of FY 2010, the debt was 93.2% of GDP. It is expected to be 102.6% when FY 2011 of tabulated.

Sorry man, you're going to have to provide a link. I just really haven't seen any good information out of you. Note the article referenced net debt.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Based on their tone today, it sounds like the Republicans are finally moving on closing tax loopholes. We'll see, but I'm feel pretty confident a deal will be made after what I heard today.

All along I've been expecting a bunch of pandering with a deal "miraculously" getting reached at the last minute. Looks like that's what we're going to get.

ElNono
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I say just print the money to cover the expenditures. Devalue the dollar against all foreign currencies. This will make imports more expensive and become part of the equation to bring manufacturing here again.

Can't do that without going through some hyperinflation and basically destroying the current standard of living.

ElNono
07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
All along I've been expecting a bunch of pandering with a deal "miraculously" getting reached at the last minute. Looks like that's what we're going to get.

You know it. With a couple of bravado-laden political speak interspersed here and there...

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Sorry man, you're going to have to provide a link. I just really haven't seen any good information out of you. Note the article referenced net debt.
You're right but that only means it's not counting the debt owed to government retirement plans, Social Security, and the likes. The gross debt is what's important. Using the smaller number to make it seem unimportant may as well be a lie.

link:

Whitehouse/OMB (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals/): Table 7.1—Federal Debt at the End of Year: 1940–2016 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2012/assets/hist07z1.xls)

RandomGuy
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Who to believe? hmmm Economist blogger, or you... hmmmmm

Link?

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Who to believe? hmmm Economist blogger, or you... hmmmmm

Link?
The article may be close in pointing out 65% net of GDP. The OMB numbers for the public debt are 62.2% for 2010 and estimate 72% for 2011. 65% is between these numbers, however, with the lower unemployment than expected, I'll predict about 70% now and about 75% and the end of the fiscal years.

Sure like to know why they are so generous for 2013+. The last few years trend is >10% increase average. 40.3% for 2008, 53.5% for 2009. The average increase for the last three tabulated years is 10.95%. May as well call it 11 and predict 73% for 2011, 84% for 2012, 95% for 2013, etc.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
So you pulled the number out of thin air?

RandomGuy
07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
You're right but that only means it's not counting the debt owed to government retirement plans, Social Security, and the likes. The gross debt is what's important. Using the smaller number to make it seem unimportant may as well be a lie.

link:

Whitehouse/OMB (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals/): Table 7.1—Federal Debt at the End of Year: 1940–2016 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2012/assets/hist07z1.xls)

So... the debt that the government owes itself is equally important as debt owed to entities outside the government?

Could the government, if it decided to, more easily negotiate the terms of the debt it owes itself than the terms of debt it owes to someone else?

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
So... the debt that the government owes itself is equally important as debt owed to entities outside the government?

Could the government, if it decided to, more easily negotiate the terms of the debt it owes itself than the terms of debt it owes to someone else?
Yes, this debt is equally or more important. Most of it is pension funds and Social security excesses. An investor assumes even a slight risk buying bonds and notes. There should be even less risk in SS and pensions. We are now at a point that the SS is paying out more than it's taking in because of this stupid reduction to 4.2%.

RandomGuy
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
The article may be close in pointing out 65% net of GDP. The OMB numbers for the public debt are 62.2% for 2010 and estimate 72% for 2011. 65% is between these numbers, however, with the lower unemployment than expected, I'll predict about 70% now and about 75% and the end of the fiscal years.

Sure like to know why they are so generous for 2013+. The last few years trend is >10% increase average. 40.3% for 2008, 53.5% for 2009. The average increase for the last three tabulated years is 10.95%. May as well call it 11 and predict 73% for 2011, 84% for 2012, 95% for 2013, etc.

So you think economic performance of the period 2007-2009 will be the same as the period 2011-2014?

Given that we will be fully divested of Iraq, drawing down Afghanistan, and no rampant fiscal/economic crisis seems in the offing in the US, that seems to be something of a leap.

Given how much you like to criticize straight-line projections when climate scientists do it, I would think you would be a bit more hesitant to do so yourself. :p:

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
So you think economic performance of the period 2007-2009 will be the same as the period 2011-2014?

Given that we will be fully divested of Iraq, drawing down Afghanistan, and no rampant fiscal/economic crisis seems in the offing in the US, that seems to be something of a leap.

Given how much you like to criticize straight-line projections when climate scientists do it, I would think you would be a bit more hesitant to do so yourself. :p:
LOL...

I have heard various revised numbers of Obamacare costs. I may easily be low balling the numbers.

boutons_deux
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
"Obamacare costs."

Ryancare will increase the deficit and "death panel" 10s of 1000s to poverty, disease, and death.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Or are they thinking that they can get something better than 83%-17% by getting Obama to blink?Obama folds faster than patio furniture. It looks like a good bet to me.

RandomGuy
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM

LOL...

I have heard various revised numbers of Obamacare costs. I may easily be low balling the numbers.

A solid prediction.

What will your excuse be if it doesn't pan out?

You might want to invest in some tap shoes now, 'cause there is a good chance you are going to need them in 2015.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Obama folds faster than patio furniture.Indeed, with congressional Republicans that appears to be his negotiating style.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
"Obamacare costs."

Ryancare will increase the deficit and "death panel" 10s of 1000s to poverty, disease, and death.
Believe as you wish. At least it is a "grandfathered" plan. the democrats want to strip things right away.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
A solid prediction.

What will your excuse be if it doesn't pan out?

Time will, tell, and yes... I could be wrong. However, with the track record of CBO projections, I think I'm on pretty solid ground.

Th'Pusher
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Seriously? These motherfuckers aren't going to negotiate at all?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/09/debt.talks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

ElNono
07-09-2011, 11:34 PM
From what I read, the WH offered $4 trillion over the next decade in spending cuts + some tax increases, but Boehner rather take a $2 trillion (over a decade) spending cut deal with no tax increases that was offered by Biden a while back.

Which to me signals that the GOP is more concerned about the popular perception of the measures than actually finding a solution to balancing the budget, a necessary step before you can move on to an actual surplus to pay off debt. Not unexpected, tbh, with an electoral season looming.

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Boehner backing down off $4 trillion figure for debt reduction

An effort to craft a broad deal of up to $4 trillion in deficit-reduction appeared out of reach on Saturday as Republican leader John Boehner cited differences with the White House on taxes and proposed pursuing a more modest package.

"Despite good-faith efforts to find common ground, the White House will not pursue a bigger debt reduction agreement without tax hikes," Boehner, the speaker of the House of Representatives and the top Republican in Congress, said in a statement.

"I believe the best approach may be to focus on producing a smaller measure."

========

Hey, Boner, where are the jobs?

The Greatest Fucking Empire In The History Of The Universe feeds itself:

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/draghi/June%20SNAP.png

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/draghi/June%20SNAP.png

Wild Cobra
07-10-2011, 10:14 AM
From what I read, the WH offered $4 trillion over the next decade in spending cuts + some tax increases, but Boehner rather take a $2 trillion (over a decade) spending cut deal with no tax increases that was offered by Biden a while back.

Which to me signals that the GOP is more concerned about the popular perception of the measures than actually finding a solution to balancing the budget, a necessary step before you can move on to an actual surplus to pay off debt. Not unexpected, tbh, with an electoral season looming.
You have to remember a difference in thinking. Anything less than a 10% increase annual, the democrats claim is a cut. I'm sure that's part of the $4t they are referring to.

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
US budget talks stall over tax dispute

Republicans in Congress on Saturday pulled out of talks over an ambitious plan to cut US deficits by $4,000bn over 10 years because of the party’s opposition to new tax rises sought by Democrats.

The development means that congressional leaders, who are due to meet President Barack Obama on Sunday, will seek to strike a smaller $2,000bn deal to shrink US debt and increase America’s borrowing limit, thereby avoiding a possible default.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f72dbc0a-aaaa-11e0-94a6-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1RiSAXG99

==========

The Repug thought leader chimes in on wanting, encouraging the financial apocalypse:

Limbaugh Ushers Listeners Into Fantasyland On Debt-Ceiling Risks

Rush Limbaugh has falsely suggested that there would be no adverse consequences for failing to raise the federal government's debt ceiling, claiming that because the government takes in enough revenue to pay interest on the debt, there is no danger of default. But experts say that if the government failed to pay many of its other bills, it would create economic chaos and could result in rising interest rates.

Limbaugh: "We Do Not Need To Raise The Debt Ceiling. There Is No Crisis."

LIMBAUGH: TheHill.com has an interesting story today that sort of sets the stage for what's to happen. Headline: "Report: Treasury must cut spending 44 percent in default." "New analysis by the Bipartisan Policy Center, which has been shared extensively with members of Congress, estimates that the Treasury Department would not be able to pay all its bills and would need to implement an immediate 44 percent cut in federal spending in the event the debt ceiling is exceeded."

http://mediamatters.org/research/201107080035

=======

Media Matter better be careful, Limbaugh will sue to lose MM's non-profit status for attacking the official Repug thought dictator.

btw, military "spending limit" gets double-digit increase.

More guns, much less butter.

ElNono
07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
You have to remember a difference in thinking. Anything less than a 10% increase annual, the democrats claim is a cut. I'm sure that's part of the $4t they are referring to.

I don't think the criteria is any different on the $2.5T offer he's seemingly willing to accept...

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
From the demented fringe of the Repug fringe:

Sen. DeMint: Geithner ‘playing Chicken Little’ on the debt ceiling

Tea party favorite Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) said Sunday that there was no risk of "major economic consequences" if the debt limit was not raised by Aug. 2.

"I think the president has been gaming Republicans," DeMint told Fox News' Bret Baier. "He has been talking about this for six months. The only proposal he sent us is his budget to raise the debt $10 trillion. So it's hard to take him seriously here."

"Thousands of Americans and many Republicans in Congress are uniting around the idea that we will give the president his increase in the debt limit in return for some reasonable cuts in spending this year, some caps on spending over the next ten years, his agreement to send balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, to the states for them to ratify," he added.

"Do you believe, Senator, that the country risks default or major economic consequences if the debt ceiling is not raised on August 2nd -- by August 2nd?" Baier asked.

"No, I don't," DeMint insisted. "I think [Treasury] Secretary Geithner has been irresponsible. He's playing Chicken Little here."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/10/sen-demint-geithner-playing-chicken-little-on-the-debt-ceiling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

========

Anybody hear any similar "defaulting is no problem, and defaultnig is desirable" from the Dems?

Wild Cobra
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't think the criteria is any different on the $2.5T offer he's seemingly willing to accept...
I want what I hear the republicans say. In essence, no compromise. No increased taxes, and no increase in the debt limit.

It's time government lives within the revenues it receives.

Outside of tangible assets, how many people can be in debt for more than they make in several years?

ElNono
07-10-2011, 02:50 PM
I want what I hear the republicans say. In essence, no compromise. No increased taxes, and no increase in the debt limit.

That's not what Boehner is doing. He will compromise and raise the limit.

Wild Cobra
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
That's not what Boehner is doing. He will compromise and raise the limit.
probably, but I can dream, can't I?

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Repugs reflexively raised the debt limit 7 times in dubya's reign of error, while dubya more than doubled the deficit, which is irrefutable proof that the Repugs' "deficit panic" is a lying pretext for destroying government, which takes priority for the Repugs, along with pandering the Christian Taleban, over stopping/reversing the lower 95% of Human-Americans declining in financial comfort/security and standard of living.

Does anybody know where the $2.5T - $4T cut is supposed to fall? It sure won't fall on the top 5%, and will certainly fall on the bottom 30%.

Wild Cobra
07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Repugs reflexively raised the debt limit 7 times in dubya's reign of error, while dubya more than doubled the deficit, which is irrefutable proof that the Repugs' "deficit panic" is a lying pretext for destroying government, which takes priority for the Repugs, along with pandering the Christian Taleban, over stopping/reversing the lower 95% of Human-Americans declining in financial comfort/security and standard of living.

Does anybody know where the $2.5T - $4T cut is supposed to fall? It sure won't fall on the top 5%, and will certainly fall on the bottom 30%.
The increases in debt limit while Bush was president only added about a 10% value vs. GDP over his 8 years. Not bad for recession and war time. Obama however exceeded 20% in 3 years already.

When does it stop?

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 05:04 PM
"Obama however exceeded 20% in 3 years already."

dubya didn't inherit or have occur anything equivalent to the Banksters' Great Depression that Barry inherited. Barry has nothing to do with causing the deficit.

The deficit is all due to Repugs bogus/botched wars, Repug tax cuts for the rich ($1T just for the estate tax cut for super rich) and corps, Repug Medicare Advantage subsidy of for-profit insurers, Repug Part D prescription drug subsidy to BigPharma, and the cratering of tax revenues at all levels with the cratering of the economy. Apart from all those, the budget would be pretty much in balance. Barry's first budget was smaller than dubya's last budget. etc, etc.

Keep up your VRWC shilliing and lying, and I'll keep bitch slappin with the truth.

ElNono
07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
This is when I wish they wouldn't raise the limit:

New IMF Head Says US Must Raise Debt Limit, or Face 'Nasty Consequences'

"The International Monetary Fund's new chief foresees 'real nasty consequences' for the U.S. and global economies if the U.S. fails to raise its borrowing limit (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=14038931). Christine Lagarde, the first woman to head the lending institution, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that it would cause interest rates to rise and stock markets to fall. That would threaten an important IMF goal, which is preserving stability in the world economy, she said. The U.S. borrowing limit is $14.3 trillion. Obama administration officials say the U.S. would begin to default without an agreement by Aug. 2."

Ignignokt
07-10-2011, 06:43 PM

dubya didn't inherit or have occur anything equivalent to the Banksters' Great Depression that Barry inherited. Barry has nothing to do with causing the deficit.

The deficit is all due to Repugs bogus/botched wars, Repug tax cuts for the rich ($1T just for the estate tax cut for super rich) and corps, Repug Medicare Advantage subsidy of for-profit insurers, Repug Part D prescription drug subsidy to BigPharma, and the cratering of tax revenues at all levels with the cratering of the economy. Apart from all those, the budget would be pretty much in balance. Barry's first budget was smaller than dubya's last budget. etc, etc.

Keep up your VRWC shilliing and lying, and I'll keep bitch slappin with the truth.
What law did bush pass that caused the Banker's depression??

DMX7
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
CARL QUINTANILLA (CNBC): Does it strike you that as the unemployment rate goes up that your chances of winning office also go up?

MICHELE BACHMANN: Well, that could be. Again, I hope so.

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/newsandviews/631124

===

In line with Repugs 2010 strategy of prolonging/deepening the jobs pain and blame it on Barry, which is still their strategy for 2012.

After winning the House, what have the Repugs done about jobs? not a fucking thing. It's all about union busting, deficits (not jobs), abortion, and opposing EVERYTHING without compromise.

boutons_deux
07-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Nothing specific, just very lax enforcement by SEC and everywhere (cocaine and whores at MMS, fracking exempted from Clean Water Act, etc, etc.

dubya did block 19 states from stopping predatory sub-prime lending, including Spitzer whom he took down later for being Sheriff of Wall St and taking down Greenberg/AIG.

dubya's Treasury could stepped in to reduce the housing/credit bubble, but they "trust" the greedy "free market" to fuck up people without govt intervention.

The ground work of financial deregulation and the Banksters' Great Depression got started with St Ronnie The Diseased and continued right up Clinton signing the Repug bill to kill Glass-Steagall and prevent the govt from regulating financial derivatives.

dubya 8 years were overwhelming responsible for the huge deficit, for the reasons I've repeated here many times.

RandomGuy
07-11-2011, 08:50 AM
The increases in debt limit while Bush was president only added about a 10% value vs. GDP over his 8 years. Not bad for recession and war time. Obama however exceeded 20% in 3 years already.

When does it stop?

This leaves out the important context of the economic growth caused by the housing bubble.

You can borrow a LOT and still have it be small relative to the economy if the economy is being pushed along by such a bubble.

When you get an economic slow down with high unemployment, you get the double whammy of greater outlays from social safety programs coupled with a smaller economy and fewer people paying into the system.

It is quite possible to be very fiscally responsible in such a case, and still find yourself with a ballooning deficit.

Since you place great emphasis on the proper context, I'm sure you were going to point that out, right?

RandomGuy
07-11-2011, 08:57 AM
What law did bush pass that caused the Banker's depression??

?? Reading fail?

BD didn't actually say that Bush passed such a law, you do know that right?

As far as his administration's culpability, one can readily make the case that their laissez-faire attitude toward banking regulation, and letting the market "innovate" without any transparency, oversight, or consideration of systemic risk, led to poorly designed financial assets with deep hidden flaws that financial institutions bought into.

Winehole23
07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
J.P. Morgan recently surveyed its clients and asked how much rates would rise if there was a delay in payments, even a very brief one. Domestic investors thought they would go up by 0.37 percentage points, but foreign buyers — who own close to half the publicly held debt — predicted an increase of more than half a percentage point. Any increase in this range would raise Treasury’s borrowing costs by tens of billions of dollars per year.

Some may think that a rise in rates would be temporary. But there was a case back in 1979 when a combination of a failure to increase the debt limit in time and a breakdown of Treasury’s machines for printing checks caused a two-week default. A 1989 academic study found that it raised interest rates by six-tenths of a percentage point for years afterward.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-the-debt-ceiling/2011/07/06/gIQANwF01H_story_1.html

Wild Cobra
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Like I said earlier. It's Bush's fault. Just ask any liberal.

Wild Cobra
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
This is when I wish they wouldn't raise the limit:

New IMF Head Says US Must Raise Debt Limit, or Face 'Nasty Consequences'

"The International Monetary Fund's new chief foresees 'real nasty consequences' for the U.S. and global economies if the U.S. fails to raise its borrowing limit (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=14038931). Christine Lagarde, the first woman to head the lending institution, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that it would cause interest rates to rise and stock markets to fall. That would threaten an important IMF goal, which is preserving stability in the world economy, she said. The U.S. borrowing limit is $14.3 trillion. Obama administration officials say the U.S. would begin to default without an agreement by Aug. 2."
When will everyone wake up and smell the coffee. Stop letting these partisan pundits sway you.

It's going to hurt no matter what we do! Therefor, we need to focus on what hurts less in the long run.

Wild Cobra
07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
This leaves out the important context of the economic growth caused by the housing bubble.

You can borrow a LOT and still have it be small relative to the economy if the economy is being pushed along by such a bubble.

When you get an economic slow down with high unemployment, you get the double whammy of greater outlays from social safety programs coupled with a smaller economy and fewer people paying into the system.

It is quite possible to be very fiscally responsible in such a case, and still find yourself with a ballooning deficit.

Since you place great emphasis on the proper context, I'm sure you were going to point that out, right?
Yes, things are complicated. I also left out the tech bubble Clinton enjoyed that popped just as he left office.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Kentucky U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that Republican lawmakers are considering allowing President Obama to unilaterally increase the nation’s debt ceiling, a move that would represent one of the largest transitions of power in modern history.

Under a proposal put forth by Mr. McConnell, Mr. Obama could request increases of upwards of $2.5 trillion in the government borrowing authority in three separate installments over the next year, while simultaneously proposing spending cuts of greater size.
Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/sen-mitch-mcconnell-proposes-debt-powers-for-president-obama/#ixzz1RxR9jE00

boutons_deux
07-13-2011, 06:06 AM
"tech bubble Clinton enjoyed"

Clinton'es 8 years was the longest economic expansion since WWII, and the job creation in that period was fantastic.

Compare that with dubya's 8 years, esp the absent job creation and reduction in real household income.

Th'Pusher
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/sen-mitch-mcconnell-proposes-debt-powers-for-president-obama/#ixzz1RxR9jE00

Sounds like an attempt by the Republicans to wash their hands of any responsibility. They're scrambling to make this not look like their fault.

ElNono
07-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Sounds like an attempt by the Republicans to wash their hands of any responsibility. They're scrambling to make this not look like their fault.

Notice how he says between the lines that raising the limit is the responsible thing to do, but they don't want the responsibility. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

boutons_deux
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
"raising the limit is the responsible thing to do"

today's Repug deficit hawks were dubya's deficit doves, raising the debt limit 7 times without panic, while running the up national debt like it was St Ronnie all over again.

There is no deficit panic. The Repugs don't give a shit about future generations, the socioptaths don't give shit about the current generation.

The deficit results from a VRWC/Repug well-known policy decisions going back to the 1970s.

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Sounds like an attempt by the Republicans to wash their hands of any responsibility. The Tea Party will not be easily reconciled to the power this measure would punt to the President. If it does get punted though, Obama will own the debt ceiling 100% and the Republicans can bury the president in resolutions of condemnation.

It sounds like a perfectly terrible idea and an institutional wuss-out to boot, but maybe it's just a ghost story McConnell is telling to frighten his own caucus into making a deal. Quien sabe?

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Sounds like an attempt by the Republicans to wash their hands of any responsibility. They're scrambling to make this not look like their fault.Make what look like their fault? We haven't defaulted yet and you can be sure the business community has informed the GOP exactly how much time they have to "play tuff" before raising the cap.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Thats odd anyway you slice it but perhaps the motivation is the likelyhood that the debt ceiling is actually unconstitutional so the GOP may see this as the best way to spin it politically.

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
the GOP may see this as the best way to spin it politically.Crazy, but that don't surprise me much.

Th'Pusher
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Make what look like their fault?

Sorry, that could have been stated more clearly, but I was referring to the repubs complete unwillingness to negotiate. I don't think they're hard-line on 'tax-hikes' is in line with what the american people want as Boehner/Cantor/McConnell keep feeding us and they're looking increasingly intractable.

RandomGuy
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Make what look like their fault? We haven't defaulted yet and you can be sure the business community has informed the GOP exactly how much time they have to "play tuff" before raising the cap.

They have informed them somewhat formally, but the real way that information will be transmitted is through financial market data.

So far, nary a blip, but I think that if things do start to shift, the results will be pretty dramatic, as the "fear" force kicks in.

At that point, it will be too late to put the cat back in the bag, and no one knows exactly where that tipping point is, because it isn't a conscious consensus.

Most believe that this is very empty posturing, and everything will be honky dory, but that can turn on a dime.

I think it is highly irresponsible to play this game, even if no consequences have materialized so far. It is maddening to see the kind of risks being taken for the sake of political gain to make tea party radicals happy. :bang

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Sorry, that could have been stated more clearly, but I was referring to the repubs complete unwillingness to negotiate..It's to their advantage to look that way until the time comes to fold their hand, hold their noses and raise the cap.

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I think it is highly irresponsible to play this game, even if no consequences have materialized so far. It is highly irresponsible not to get reelected. How can you be a force for the good if you don't win the election?

Winehole23
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
I think it is highly irresponsible to play this game, even if no consequences have materialized so far. Apparently the GOP fears the tea party more than default. Such is politics.

RandomGuy
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
A gamble where you bet your country’s good name

This newspaper has a strong dislike of big government; we have long argued that the main way to right America’s finances is through spending cuts. But you cannot get there without any tax rises. In Britain, for instance, the coalition government aims to tame its deficit with a 3:1 ratio of cuts to hikes. America’s tax take is at its lowest level for decades: even Ronald Reagan raised taxes when he needed to do so.

And the closer you look, the more unprincipled the Republicans look. Earlier this year House Republicans produced a report noting that an 85%-15% split between spending cuts and tax rises was the average for successful fiscal consolidations, according to historical evidence. The White House is offering an 83%-17% split (hardly a huge distance) and a promise that none of the revenue increase will come from higher marginal rates, only from eliminating loopholes. If the Republicans were real tax reformers, they would seize this offer.

RandomGuy
07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
The sticking-point is not on the spending side. It is because the vast majority of Republicans, driven on by the wilder-eyed members of their party and the cacophony of conservative media, are clinging to the position that not a single cent of deficit reduction must come from a higher tax take. This is economically illiterate and disgracefully cynical.

They aren't holding back here.

RandomGuy
07-22-2011, 05:42 PM
http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/2722/TMW2011-07-20colorKOS.png

Th'Pusher
07-22-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/us/politics/23fiscal.html?_r=1&hp

These fuckin' republicans are just stupid.

RandomGuy
07-22-2011, 06:23 PM
WASHINGTON — An angry and frustrated President Obama accused Republican leaders on Friday night of walking away from “an extraordinarily fair deal” to raise the nation’s debt limit. In a hastily called news conference at the White house, a grim-faced Mr. Obama demanded that congressional leaders appear at the White House on Saturday.

“I want them here at 11 a.m. tomorrow,” Mr. Obama told reporters. “They are going to have to explain to me how it is that we are going to avoid default.”

The president spoke moments after House Speaker John A. Boehner, the Republican from Ohio, released a letter that he had sent to House colleagues, saying he was breaking off the budget negotiations because of differences over revenues and would instead try to strike an agreement with Senate leaders to raise the debt limit. The abrupt end of the negotiations leaves slightly more than a week for lawmakers to come to some resolution over increasing the debt limit before sending the government into a potential default.

:bang

I became a firm Democrat after the 2003-2006 Republican fuck-up in Iraq, and all the asshats trying desperately to defend the incompant mother fuckers in the Bush administration whose negligence was killing our troops, but I swear if the Republicans fuck this up too...

FuzzyLumpkins
07-23-2011, 01:01 AM
The GOP is looking back to the budget deal that Bush I passed back in 1991. It included raised taxes and it obviously blew up in his face. The read my lips nonsense if any of you recall.

I will say it again. The GOP is great at campaigning. They are at it all the time. They suck ass at policy making.

The prospects are looking better going forward. Party identification of people coming out of college is becoming less and less. Maybe one day soon we will start to see ballots without party identification on the candidates.

How many times you think WC has hit the lever over the republican column on election day? Who needs to think when they do it for you?

boutons_deux
07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
"They suck ass at policy making."

Government Is The Problem

They don't give a shit about governing, or The American People. The better they mis-govern by transferring taxpayer $Ts to the corps and capitalists, they better they like it.

boutons_deux
07-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Norquist-sucking Repugs walk out of Saturday's WH talks.

This week, Repugs voted to keep ALL of the subsidies and tax expenditures for BigCarbon.

jack sommerset
07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
1QVzZ0JAuh0

boutons_deux
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
"Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments"

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/07/25/277893/rep-king-says-obama-will-be-impeached-if-government-defaults/

jack sommerset
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
I figured the debt thing would be over by now. Good for the ball baggers to keep everyone on their toes. We need a third, forth party. The dems need to come up with a alternative to them. .

ElNono
07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
I figured the debt thing would be over by now. Good for the ball baggers to keep everyone on their toes. We need a third, forth party. The dems need to come up with a alternative to them. .

The problem is that the donors that pay for those campaigns are all the same, and want all the same 'benefits'. A third or fourth party won't change that dynamic. It would be a different label to differentiate themselves in marketing speak, but same content.

DMX7
07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
"Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments"

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/07/25/277893/rep-king-says-obama-will-be-impeached-if-government-defaults/

They don't have the votes to keep us from defaulting, and now he thinks they have the votes to impeach which is an even higher threshold? That's pretty much the level of thinking you get from republicans.

ducks
07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
"They suck ass at policy making."

Government Is The Problem

They don't give a shit about governing, or The American People. The better they mis-govern by transferring taxpayer $Ts to the corps and capitalists, they better they like it.

taking me paying social security taxes and not be able to pay it to me is wrong
let me have that money and let me do what I WANt with it
if a lose it fine I will not ask the gov to help me out. I would atleast have a chance of having it. I have no chance NOW

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 02:03 AM
"I will not ask the gov to help me out."

but taxpayers are already committed to accept you at taxpayer-funded medical facilities if you can't pay.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 05:54 AM
If You’re Out after Three Strikes, What Happens after Three Lies?

First, the Speaker declared that government spending was the reason for joblessness. Until this year no one believed that government spending decreases jobs. There has never been any public debate on this point because it flies in the face of common sense. Does anyone out there think government spending — on a net basis, if you like — reduces employment?

Second, Boehner described Republican conditions for an increase in the debt limit in terms of what Americans demanded — namely reduced spending and reforms. Several White House proposals have now offered deeper cuts than the Republicans dared propose, however. In his convoluted trope, Speaker Boehner thus managed to hide the fact that the key condition Republicans have imposed is no tax increases and, astonishingly, no reduction in tax loopholes. In other words, the Republican leader hid from view a key demand leading to an impasse that could cost American families thousands of dollars — and one, namely no reduction in tax loopholes, for which there is no public support.

Third, the Speaker declared that the vote for the House Republicans’ Cut, Cap and Balance bill was bipartisan — but hid the detail that only 5 of 234 votes for the bill were Democratic ones.

This appears to be a level of public duplicity on a par with what got the U.S. into the Iraq War.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/07/david-apgar-if-youre-out-after-three-strikes-what-happens-after-three-lies.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NakedCapitalism+%28naked+capi talism%29

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
After Boehner Releases Plan That Doesn’t Cut Entitlements, He Rejects Reid Plan For Not Cutting Entitlements

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) this afternoon rejected Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-NV) plan for raising the debt ceiling, saying he can’t support any plan that doesn’t cut entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare.

But Boehner’s office told staff members of his own caucus that his plan wouldn’t touch Social Security, Medicare, or the Affordable Care Act.

John Boehner’s proposal” that make this very clear:

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BoehnerPlanFail.jpg

==========

Repugs are as fucking nuts as they are dishonest and extremist.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
GOP Leaders Voted For Three Of The Biggest Debt Drivers, Costing $3.4 Trillion

Boehner and Cantor, along with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) have all voted for some of the biggest contributors to the debt — the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Bush tax cuts, and President Bush’s Medicare prescription drug plan — which helped to double the debt over the past decade:

Together, a Bloomberg News analysis shows, these initiatives added $3.4 trillion to the nation’s accumulated debt and to its current annual budget deficit of $1.5 trillion. [...]

“There’s plenty of blame to go around,” for the debt, said Robert Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition, an Arlington, Virginia-based group that advocates for balanced budgets. “If there had been no Barack Obama, we would still be bumping up against the debt limit.’”

The analysis shows the wars have cost $1.3 trillion since 9/11, the Bush tax cuts cost $1.7 trillion in lost revenue over a decade, and Medicare Part D costs $369 billion over a decade. The recession has also been a major contributor to the debt.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/26/279161/bloomberg-gop-policies-debt/

========

The Big Picture is very clear: the sociopathic, anti-American Repugs voted reliably to run up the debt while cutting taxes for wealthy and corps (going back 30+ years) and now they intend to use THEIR debt to defund/kill regulation and make the poor, sick, disabled, old, middle class, and environment pay.

cheguevara
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
well this country's ppl deserve all that is coming to them. They are the ones who elected these clowns.

Unfortunately the ppl have fallen asleep at the wheel. I feel for the children.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I read today where the craziness of the Repug obstructionism represents their overwhelming desire to beat Barry in 2012.

No matter how much pain they cause all around (except to their benefactors), to poor, old, sick, environment, economy, about none of which do the Repugs give a shit, the Repugs are looking for the deal that maximizes their damage to Barry, they deal they can and will lie ruthlessly about until Nov 2012.

hitmanyr2k
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I read today where the craziness of the Repug obstructionism represents their overwhelming desire to beat Barry in 2012.

No matter how much pain they cause all around (except to their benefactors), to poor, old, sick, environment, economy, about none of which do the Repugs give a shit, the Repugs are looking for the deal that maximizes their damage to Barry, they deal they can and will lie ruthlessly about until Nov 2012.

Well, of course lol. That should have been expected. I've said since Day 1 the Republicans aren't going to let some semi-young black guy come in office and attempt to fix the problems created by a bunch of old white guys :lol They would rather see the country go to hell than to have that happen. They're going to do whatever they can to butcher his presidency and make everything difficult. That's all this debt ceiling crap is really, just another unnecessary obstacle to screw with the economy in preparation for 2012. The economy is the Republican's ace at the moment. The longer it stays stagnant the better for them to regain power. They don't give two shits about the deficit. Hell, a lot of these guys didn't bat an eyelash when they went on their 8 year spending spree and suddenly they're up in arms now? Yeah right. It's all about power.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Speaker Boehner's Disgrace

Seldom have we witnessed a more dishonest speech [4] in prime time than that delivered by House Speaker John Boehner last night on the debt ceiling crisis. "The sad truth," he declared, "is that the president wanted a blank check six months ago, and he wants a blank check today. That is just not going to happen."

The sad truth is that statement is a bald lie, applied to a president who, far from wanting a "blank check," has endorsed Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's plan for an unconscionable $2.7 trillion in over ten years from discretionary spending as ransom to Republican threats [5] to blow up the economy by not raising the debt ceiling.

In a speech cobbling together stale conservative talking points, Boehner claimed to be "Speaker of the whole House," while talking for and to its lunatic right-wing fringe. In doing so, Boehner introduced Americans into the funhouse hall of distorted mirrors that is the current conservative delusion.

http://www.truth-out.org/print/4499

Winehole23
07-26-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.phisick.com/images/ent/etb72-reflected-dome-106.jpg

CosmicCowboy
07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Speaker Boehner's Disgrace

Seldom have we witnessed a more dishonest speech [4] in prime time than that delivered by House Speaker John Boehner last night on the debt ceiling crisis. "The sad truth," he declared, "is that the president wanted a blank check six months ago, and he wants a blank check today. That is just not going to happen."

The sad truth is that statement is a bald lie, applied to a president who, far from wanting a "blank check," has endorsed Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's plan for an unconscionable $2.7 trillion in over ten years from discretionary spending as ransom to Republican threats [5] to blow up the economy by not raising the debt ceiling.

In a speech cobbling together stale conservative talking points, Boehner claimed to be "Speaker of the whole House," while talking for and to its lunatic right-wing fringe. In doing so, Boehner introduced Americans into the funhouse hall of distorted mirrors that is the current conservative delusion.

http://www.truth-out.org/print/4499

Funny how two different people can see a speech in two totally different ways. I thought Boehner handed Obama his ass last night and Obama was the one distorting the truth. Reids 2.7 million is a joke considering over half that is "savings" we were going to have anyway as we wind down in Iraq and Afghanistan.

RandomGuy
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
well this country's ppl deserve all that is coming to them. They are the ones who elected these clowns.

Unfortunately the ppl have fallen asleep at the wheel. I feel for the children.

I might take mine to Denmark/Norway. Keep saying I will do this, but may pull the trigger at some point. Canada is another option. Eh.

Two less workers supporting WC/Darrin in their old age. :p:

RandomGuy
07-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Funny how two different people can see a speech in two totally different ways. I thought Boehner handed Obama his ass last night and Obama was the one distorting the truth. Reids 2.7 million is a joke considering over half that is "savings" we were going to have anyway as we wind down in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Boners response was pablum for the converted.

Both men are trying to spin this as being the other's fault, but Obama has been far more willing to negotiate in good faith and comprimise, a fact noted by most outside observers. Like, say, the OP....

Wild Cobra
07-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Boehner and Cantor, along with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI) have all voted for some of the biggest contributors to the debt — the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Bush tax cuts, and President Bush’s Medicare prescription drug plan — which helped to double the debt over the past decade:

Together, a Bloomberg News analysis shows, these initiatives added $3.4 trillion to the nation’s accumulated debt and to its current annual budget deficit of $1.5 trillion. [...]

“There’s plenty of blame to go around,” for the debt, said Robert Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition, an Arlington, Virginia-based group that advocates for balanced budgets. “If there had been no Barack Obama, we would still be bumping up against the debt limit.’”

The analysis shows the wars have cost $1.3 trillion since 9/11, the Bush tax cuts cost $1.7 trillion in lost revenue over a decade, and Medicare Part D costs $369 billion over a decade. The recession has also been a major contributor to the debt.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/26/279161/bloomberg-gop-policies-debt/

========

The Big Picture is very clear: the sociopathic, anti-American Repugs voted reliably to run up the debt while cutting taxes for wealthy and corps (going back 30+ years) and now they intend to use THEIR debt to defund/kill regulation and make the poor, sick, disabled, old, middle class, and environment pay.
The two wars were backed by both parties, and see to be wrapping up in the next few years. When will Obamacare stop costing us money once we see the real cost of it?

There is not consensus that the Bush Tax cuts lost revenue. I am not alone in believing the revenue would have been less without the tax cuts. However, the 15% bracket should have been left alone in my opinion. The lower income people didn't pay much at 15%, why make a 10% bracket, except to appease the liberals.

As for the Prescription Drug Program. I'm OK with providing our seniors with better care.

We need welfare reform. It's those who turned their safety nets into hammocks that need less assistance. make life harder for them by requiring drug testing and send them out to employers who have a hard time finding legal employees. If they don't try to work, they get cut off.

The future is not pretty. We are overextended already with a debt that we have no means to pay down now. When the full force of Obamacare kicks in... watch out!!

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
"two wars were backed by both parties"

The Repugs pushed hard for it, LIED about it, the dickless Dems went along.

"There is not consensus that the Bush Tax cuts lost revenue"

tax cuts NEVER pay for themselves, nor do they create jobs. That they do is one of the blatant, persistant VRWC lies.

"Prescription Drug Program. I'm OK with providing our seniors with better care"

... was gift to BigPharma. There's much proof that drugs do more more harm, or do nothing, than good. Prevention is a much better solution.

"It's those who turned their safety nets into hammocks "

yet again, parroting St Ronnie Welfare Queen lie.

"we have no means to pay down now"

Restore taxes to 1960s level, and the policy-driven debt disappears in a few years.

coyotes_geek
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Great! Let's get out of Iraq & Afghanistan, let the Bush tax cuts expire on everybody and completely eliminate the medicare prescription drug plan.

Who's with me? Democrats? Republicans? Bueller?

Spurminator
07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Rah rah rah!
Rah rah rah!
Rah rah rah!

CosmicCowboy
07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Boners response was pablum for the converted.

Both men are trying to spin this as being the other's fault, but Obama has been far more willing to negotiate in good faith and comprimise, a fact noted by most outside observers. Like, say, the OP....

Like Obama's was real earth shattering new stuff??? :lmao

RandomGuy
07-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Didn't say it was.

I said he was far more willing to put the sacred cows on the negotiating table.

The fanatic caucus in Congress, the "hell no" crowd won't budge.

Quite frankly, given how much the Republicans have taken advantage and fucked him since he got to be president, I'm surprised he hasn't called them on it a bit more.

He has extended a hand to the GOP in Congress and gotten a fistful of shit for his troubles from the poo flingers in the tea party.

It is good to see him finally figure that out.

Winehole23
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.readersupportednews.org/off-site-opinion-section/72-72/6709-wheres-the-uproar

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
"encourages American companies to bring money home and put it towards capital, investment, and–most importantly–American jobs."

dubya gave the US corps, esp BigPharma, with their $300B offshore cash the gift of 5% income tax in return for jobs. Of course, the corps did it, and of course, there were no jobs, and no penalty or follow up by dubya. BigPharma actually laid off 10s of 1000s.

Wild Cobra
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
"two wars were backed by both parties"

The Repugs pushed hard for it, LIED about it, the dickless Dems went along.

You should stop saying that until you can prove they intentionally lied.

"There is not consensus that the Bush Tax cuts lost revenue"

tax cuts NEVER pay for themselves, nor do they create jobs. That they do is one of the blatant, persistant VRWC lies.

Where is your proof that shatters the "Laffer Curve?"

"Prescription Drug Program. I'm OK with providing our seniors with better care"

... was gift to BigPharma. There's much proof that drugs do more more harm, or do nothing, than good.
How was it a gift? Would it be your idea to make seniors buy no drugs, so you can be happy about hurting BigPharm?

Prevention is a much better solution.

I didn't know that bill remove preventative measure. Please give me a link on that!

"It's those who turned their safety nets into hammocks "

yet again, parroting St Ronnie Welfare Queen lie.

Are you one of those Hammock user by chance?

"we have no means to pay down now"

Restore taxes to 1960s level, and the policy-driven debt disappears in a few years.

At those tax rates and a global market, we will lose even more tax payers to other nation.

You could confiscate the wealth of the richest people we have, and it would only make a small dent. Thinking more taxes can be had so readily is just an excuse to raise spending.

Wild Cobra
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.readersupportednews.org/off-site-opinion-section/72-72/6709-wheres-the-uproar
So...

Do you agree reducing taxes corporate will bring that money back to our shores, or not?

ElNono
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Do you agree reducing taxes corporate will bring that money back to our shores, or not?

I'll answer that: No.

Considering they received a tax holiday under Bush, and seemingly will receive another one now, there's no incentive to pay the regular rate, whatever low it is. They'll just negotiate another tax holiday for a better rate.

What you haven't understood yet is that the solution isn't lowering the taxes, it's closing the loopholes that allow them to park their money overseas.

Wild Cobra
07-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll answer that: No.

Considering they received a tax holiday under Bush, and seemingly will receive another one now, there's no incentive to pay the regular rate, whatever low it is. They'll just negotiate another tax holiday for a better rate.

What you haven't understood yet is that the solution isn't lowering the taxes, it's closing the loopholes that allow them to park their money overseas.
One time actions don't cut it. Just as simple as that.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Barry offered cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, SS, $4T+ in cuts and the Repugs said no.

As was pointed out, if dubya had done that, Repugs would ejaculating all over DC.

Repugs don't give a shit about the debt ceiling (a fake crisis), the economy, the jobless, the poor, sick, young, old, the country, or The American People. They only want to destroy Barry.

All destructive, obstructive politics, all the time.

Wild Cobra
07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Barry offered cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, SS, $4T+ in cuts and the Repugs said no.

As was pointed out, if dubya had done that, Repugs would ejaculating all over DC.

Repugs don't give a shit about the debt ceiling (a fake crisis), the economy, the jobless, the poor, sick, young, old, the country, or The American People. They only want to destroy Barry.

All destructive, obstructive politics, all the time.
Bullshit.

It's just empty words until its in a tangible form.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
no, he made the offer, they said no.

The Repugs are badly split in the House, and the House is split vs Senate.

Default sure looks unavoidable now.

This fake fiasco is 100% on the Repugs. They make America look like jerkoff country.

DMX7
07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Bullshit.

It's just empty words until its in a tangible form.

That's just an excuse. You can agree to something in principle before you hammer out the exact details of every cut.

That's part of how the NFL lockout ended.

The reality is many republicans have said they won't raise the debt ceiling no matter what.

The rest won't be satisfied until Obama forks over his lunch money too.

boutons_deux
07-26-2011, 08:16 PM
The Repugs are demanding that Congress pass a balanced budget amendment to send to thee states for ratification.

For 6 years of controlling Congress + WH, how about this:

Republicans Never Voted On A Balanced Budget Amendment When They Controlled Congress Under Bush

Despite their plan failing to receive even a majority in the Senate — far less than the two-thirds required for a constitutional amendment — Republicans have continued to demand, as they have for months, that a balanced budget amendment be a part of any deal to raise the debt ceiling.

falo on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm

House Republicans last week insisted on passing their radical “cut, cap, and balance” plan, which would allow the federal debt ceiling to be raised only if a balanced budget amendment (complete with a federal spending cap and a supermajority requirement for tax increases) is approved by Congress and sent to the states. The Senate tabled the bill by a vote of 51-46.

Despite their plan failing to receive even a majority in the Senate — far less than the two-thirds required for a constitutional amendment — Republicans have continued to demand, as they have for months, that a balanced budget amendment be a part of any deal to raise the debt ceiling. And the GOP is framing its BBA push as some kind of favor for the next generation. For instance, Rep. Jeb Hensarling, who chairs the House Republican Conference, said today that the balanced budget amendment is “not about the next election. It’s about the next generation.” Watch it:

However, when the Republicans held both chambers of Congress from 2001 to 2006, and had a Republican in the White House, they not only didn’t approve a balanced budget amendment, they never even held a vote on it.

their utter indifference to the idea when they actually had the power to advance it shows that it’s nothing more than a political ploy.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/26/279723/republicans-never-voted-balanced-budget-amendment-bush/

Winehole23
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
So...

Do you agree reducing taxes corporate will bring that money back to our shores, or not?The tax holiday discussed by Taibbi is a one off that will have little lasting effect -- except maybe to whet the appetite of lobbyists for more and bigger holidays down the line.

ElNono
07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
One time actions don't cut it. Just as simple as that.

That makes no sense. What do you mean?

byrontx
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
"Obama folds faster than patio furniture." This was a great line, Winehole.

Obama fucked up with the kumbaya crap with the Republicans when he came into office instead of slapping them upside the head. Now he's throwing punchs while he's back on his heels. Until the dems start learning to play hardball the repubs will show them no respect.

Winehole23
07-27-2011, 12:34 AM
"Obama folds faster than patio furniture." This was a great line, Winehole. Unoriginal, but I can't recall who I swiped it from.

Winehole23
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
David Stockman.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/20223/what-exactly-does-president-obama-will-fold-faster-than-a-lawn-chair-mean

Wild Cobra
07-27-2011, 12:41 AM
"Obama folds faster than patio furniture." This was a great line, Winehole.

Obama fucked up with the kumbaya crap with the Republicans when he came into office instead of slapping them upside the head. Now he's throwing punchs while he's back on his heels. Until the dems start learning to play hardball the repubs will show them no respect.
The democrats in general play hardball real well. They just have an inexperienced shithead as president. The presidency is not the place to OJT in leadership.

SnakeBoy
07-27-2011, 12:45 AM
but I swear if the Republicans fuck this up too...

You'll what?...vote for a democrat?

boutons_deux
07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
The tax holiday discussed by Taibbi is a one off that will have little lasting effect -- except maybe to whet the appetite of lobbyists for more and bigger holidays down the line.

not a one off at all.

$300B @ 5% repatriated under dubya.

UCA will continue evading, avoiding taxes, parking profits overseas, and will ask for tax holidays again.

It will go 100% to mgmt, buybacks, stockholers, not to job creation.

ElNono
07-27-2011, 07:43 AM
The democrats in general play hardball real well. They just have an inexperienced shithead as president. The presidency is not the place to OJT in leadership.

If there's leadership lacking on this specific topic, it's entirely on the GOP side. Reid (and the Senate in general) all seem to fall pretty much in line with the president. No leadership problem there. On the other hand, Boehner tried to cut a deal and couldn't even get Cantor to align himself with it. Now Cantor is onboard and they still have problem having the caucus aligned along party lines. One would argue that the house is not the place to OJT in leadership either, I guess.

ElNono
07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Interesting excerpt I found (from the NYTimes):

Dan Weiser, a spokesman for the House’s chief administrative officer, said the calls spiked at midday when members’ offices received about 40,000 phone calls — roughly double a normal hour’s call volume.

“I have had phone calls from constituents all across the Third District suggesting we raise taxes,” said Representative Steve Womack, Republican of Arkansas. “But this economy is too fragile.”

boutons_deux
07-27-2011, 08:02 AM
G.O.P.’s No-Tax Stance Is Outside Political Mainstream

The Republicans in the House of Representatives are extremely conservative on fiscal matters and are significantly out of step with the public as a whole. Given that Democrats continue to control the Senate and the White House, and that their votes may be necessary in the House as well, this makes compromise nearly impossible.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/house-republicans-no-tax-stance-far-outside-political-mainstream/

RandomGuy
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
You'll what?...vote for a democrat?

Good point.

I will however, be able to make a very clear case to independents about exactly how Republicans can't be trusted, especially when that party has obviously allowed itself to be taken over by its most radical elements.

Between "stay the course" and "hell no", among other things, one would hope a rather clear picture would emerge and be evident to any political passers by.

RandomGuy
07-27-2011, 08:35 AM
G.O.P.’s No-Tax Stance Is Outside Political Mainstream

The Republicans in the House of Representatives are extremely conservative on fiscal matters and are significantly out of step with the public as a whole. Given that Democrats continue to control the Senate and the White House, and that their votes may be necessary in the House as well, this makes compromise nearly impossible.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/house-republicans-no-tax-stance-far-outside-political-mainstream/

Few Americans, however, take the view that spending cuts alone should be made in a deal, with no tax increases at all. In fact, only 26 percent of the Republican voters surveyed in Gallup’s poll took that position, along with 20 percent of voters overall.

One quarter of one half the population.

Basically we are being held hostage to less than 1/8th of our electorate, who are behaving like pouty children.

EVAY
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
One quarter of one half the population.

Basically we are being held hostage to less than 1/8th of our electorate, who are behaving like pouty children.

But they are loud, aren't they?

boutons_deux
07-27-2011, 11:10 AM
They can ruin a whole restaurant, whining, screaming, stomping their feet, rolling on the floor (it's what Wall St pays them to do).

Winehole23
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Ruins your dining? Alert the conductor.

RandomGuy
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
And so it begins?:

Wall Street slides on earnings, economy, politics (http://news.yahoo.com/stock-index-futures-mixed-amazon-eyed-095414743.html)

Down about 100 points so far (a bit less than 1%, NASDAQ and S&P off by more than a percent.

10 year bond yields are up (implying an expected rise in interest rates)

I wonder when the real stampede will get started. Saw an interesting article about someone putting a billion dollar bet already.

No idea what to expect, but one has to wonder at this point.

boutons_deux
07-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Boner's born-yet-again plan is due Friday, leaving about 72 hours for a split Repug party to get behind it, which they probably won't. Then past the Dem Senate and Dem WH. Little chance.

Default, 100% due to the Repugs' fabricated crisis, seems inescapable.

Come on, Barry, grow a dick and spine, spew the 14th Amendment all over these assholes.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2011, 12:59 PM
And so it begins?:

Wall Street slides on earnings, economy, politics (http://news.yahoo.com/stock-index-futures-mixed-amazon-eyed-095414743.html)

Down about 100 points so far (a bit less than 1%, NASDAQ and S&P off by more than a percent.

10 year bond yields are up (implying an expected rise in interest rates)

I wonder when the real stampede will get started. Saw an interesting article about someone putting a billion dollar bet already.

No idea what to expect, but one has to wonder at this point.

A hundred point drop is a yawner and happens all the time.

Wild Cobra
07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
A hundred point drop is a yawner and happens all the time.
No shit, I was thinking the same thing. Must be important because he saw it in print someplace.

SnakeBoy
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
I will however, be able to make a very clear case to independents about exactly how Republicans can't be trusted, especially when that party has obviously allowed itself to be taken over by its most radical elements.

Ahh so for the coming election you're planning on annoying your coworkers & friends with your political ramblings.

SnakeBoy
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Default, 100% due to the Repugs' fabricated crisis, seems inescapable.

We're not going to default...but live in fear if you like.

Winehole23
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
But what none of these critics have is an alternative strategy for achieving anything nearly as fiscally or politically beneficial as Mr. Boehner's plan. The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue, and the public will turn en masse against . . . Barack Obama. The Republican House that failed to raise the debt ceiling would somehow escape all blame. Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced-budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the tea-party Hobbits could return to Middle Earth having defeated Mordor.

This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell into GOP Senate nominees. The reality is that the debt limit will be raised one way or another, and the only issue now is with how much fiscal reform and what political fallout.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903591104576470061986837494.html

boutons_deux
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
yes, the Repug strategy is to damange/slime Barry for a shutdown that the Repugs pulled out of their stinkin asses.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 05:16 AM
The Bush Deficit

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/24/opinion/sunday/24editorial_graph2/24editorial_graph2-popup.gif

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-cohn/92569/bush-obama-deficit-tax-cut-stimulus-health

==========

The Repugs, strong on national security, let 9/11 happen.

The Repugs, strong fiscal conservatism, the MBA Whitehouse, ran the country into a financial/social ditch.

But it's all Barry's fault.

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 08:00 AM
This graphic is just more evidence of Obama merely following in Bush's footsteps. Every item under Bush's column Obama has either endorsed, expanded or continued.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
"Obama merely following in Bush's footsteps"

dubya's criminal, bloody footsteps stopped 20 Jan 09, but the destructive Repug path he put the country on continues on the same trajectory. That momentum is very hard to deflect/correct. The Repugs are keeping it that way, objecting to stopping their 2 wars, and now the House Repugs are defunding or killing CFPB, EPA, IRS, etc while maintaining all tax loopholes for UCA and capitalists.

CosmicCowboy
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Boutons, it must suck terribly to be you.

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
"Obama merely following in Bush's footsteps"

dubya's criminal, bloody footsteps stopped 20 Jan 09, but the destructive Repug path he put the country on continues on the same trajectory. That momentum is very hard to deflect/correct. The Repugs are keeping it that way, objecting to stopping their 2 wars, and now the House Repugs are defunding or killing CFPB, EPA, IRS, etc while maintaining all tax loopholes for UCA and capitalists.

What makes the momentum hard to deflect/correct is Obama's endorsement of the trajectory we were on.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Americans For Tax Reform President Grover Norquist: It’s ‘Possible’ Default Would Be ‘Okay’ To Resist Raising Taxes

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/28/281463/norquist-default-taxes/

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Warren Buffett: Debt ceiling should be removed

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett says the debt ceiling should be done away with, arguing it is nothing more than an “artificial limit” that ends up wasting time in Congress.

“All it does is slow down a process and divert people’s energy, causes people to posture. It doesn’t really make any sense,” the Berkshire Hathaway CEO said in an interview with NBC News on Monday afternoon at the White House. The interview followed a meeting Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates had with President Barack Obama about charitable giving.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59335.html

RandomGuy
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Americans For Tax Reform President Grover Norquist: It’s ‘Possible’ Default Would Be ‘Okay’ To Resist Raising Taxes

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/28/281463/norquist-default-taxes/

So you have the spiritual guru of the right essentially saying that default would be preferable to (gasp) raising taxes a % or two on the richest Americans.

Meanwhile you have the Speaker of the House speaking a truth that many rank and file Republicans would be loathe to admit:

BOEHNER: Well, first they want more. And my goodness, I want more too. And secondly, a lot of [the House Republicans] believe that if we get past August the second and we have enough chaos, we could force the Senate and the White House to accept a balanced budget amendment. I’m not sure that that — I don’t think that that strategy works. Because I think the closer we get to August the second, frankly, the less leverage we have vis a vis our colleagues in the Senate and the White House.

I don't find this to be all that dissimilar to terrorists willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish their political goals.

I don't want to hear any bullshit about how this is going to end up being Obama's fault, and the innocent Republicans just didn't get dealt with fairly.

RandomGuy
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
For people who bitched about having things "forced down our throats", this crowd certainly seems perfectly willing to do just that.

CosmicCowboy
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
The house WILL send a bill that approves extending the debt limit to the Senate. Whether the Senate and Obama sign off on it will be their choice at that point.

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
For people who bitched about having things "forced down our throats", this crowd certainly seems perfectly willing to do just that.

democrats = republicans = okay with forcing stuff down the other's throats = not okay with having stuff forced down their thoats

RandomGuy
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Speaking of old Grover, here is the newest Whopper, supply siders take note:

"Every time we've cut the capital gains tax, the economy has grown. Whenever we raise the capital gains tax, it's been damaged."

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rulings%2Ftom-false.gif

Getting back to Norquist's statement, he said, "Every time we've cut the capital gains tax, the economy has grown. Whenever we raise the capital gains tax, it's been damaged." Clearly, he intends that as a statement of causation. But the analysis of Kravitz and Burman rebuts that. They found no evidence of a connection between actual economic growth and changes in capital gains tax rates. The actual effect of capital gains tax rates remains a hotly contested issue. We rate Norquist's statement False.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jul/19/grover-norquist/grover-norquist-said-economy-has-grown-or-been-dam/

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Buffet has a good point. Why is there a debt limit?

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
AZ Repus, the NICEST bunch of people, are trashing the Dems for wanting change the write-off on corporate/private jets.

and yet the AZ cowboy bubbas, and bubbas everywhere, still vote for these Repug assholes, OVER AND OVER AND OVER -- Jim Baker

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Buffet has a good point. Why is there a debt limit?

in 1917, it was supposed to keep a lid on govt debt as US was in a war. Kinda dumb, and totally ineffective, technique, or do you just stop spending on a war in the middle of it?

How about next Tue, we stop sending checks to the MIC rather than to SS seniors?

RandomGuy
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
democrats = republicans = okay with forcing stuff down the other's throats = not okay with having stuff forced down their thoats

That is a good way to put it.

In the end, though, to me there is a huge difference between effects of potentially bad health care policy, and deliberately creating "chaos" for political gain.

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
As big a nuisances as the debt limit is, I'm still okay with the concept of there being at least one speedbump along the highway to unrestrained debt.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
"Whether the Senate and Obama sign off on it will be their choice at that point."

If the Repug plan means going through this anarchist/fake distraction Repug charade again next year, then I say fuck the Repugs, no deal.

RandomGuy
07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
As big a nuisances as the debt limit is, I'm still okay with the concept of there being at least one speedbump along the highway to unrestrained debt.

You beat me to saying this. :toast

As much as I will bitch and moan about how it is being done at the moment, some modicum of periodic debate is healthy to avoid auto-pilot disasters.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
"unrestrained debt."

annual federal budgets still have to be voted, and that's a bigger speed bump than a debt limit or xx% of GDP.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
As big a nuisances as the debt limit is, I'm still okay with the concept of there being at least one speedbump along the highway to unrestrained debt.How about just not spending so much?

MannyIsGod
07-28-2011, 02:40 PM

The budget process says hello, CG.

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
The budget process says hello, CG.

There's nothing in the budget process that serves as a restriction to debt we can run up.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
There's nothing in the budget process that serves as a restriction to debt we can run up.And how has the debt limit stopped it to this point?

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
And how has the debt limit stopped it to this point?

It hasn't. See previous speedbump analogy.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 03:06 PM
It hasn't. See previous speedbump analogy.It hasn't even been a speedbump.

How about Congress just not spend so much money or raise enough money to cover what it spends?

coyotes_geek
07-28-2011, 03:07 PM
All for it.

LnGrrrR
07-28-2011, 03:08 PM
It hasn't even been a speedbump.

How about Congress just not spend so much money or raise enough money to cover what it spends?

At the least, the debt limit (and accompanying grandstanding/rhetoric) forces politicians to take a stand, perhaps leading to electoral consequences. I don't mind the debate it creates.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Reid plans quick vote and defeat of Boehner debt plan

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20085002-503544.html

dickhead Boner doesn't have the anarchic Repug tea baggers on board, anyway.

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
"leading to electoral consequences"

nah, ignorant bubbas always vote against their own best interests and for enrichment/protection of the wealthy. This is the true "populist" brilliance of Repug politics.

SnakeBoy
07-28-2011, 06:06 PM
annual federal budgets still have to be voted, and that's a bigger speed bump than a debt limit or xx% of GDP.

Not anymore apparently.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Not anymore apparently.Because of pure politics, not any actual fiscal concern. Must be the way you like it.

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 08:44 AM
twelve pager by Matt Bai on last year's debt negotiations. heavily reliant on unnamed sources, but presents a much more fine grained picture than we had before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?_r=1

Wild Cobra
03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
twelve pager by Matt Bai on last year's debt negotiations. heavily reliant on unnamed sources, but presents a much more fine grained picture than we had before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?_r=1
Twelve pages...

Care to summarize? Not feeling up to that much reading today.

GSH
03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not even going to bother reading the wingnut article. The Dems wouldn't even vote on a budget for two fucking years. I guess that's one way to avoid an impasse. But I guess that's not political? Kicking the can down the road until they no longer held a majority in both houses?

And didn't I see today that the Barry's budget got defeated unanimously?

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
not surprised you prefer not to read

EVAY
03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
I read that article, WH, and it IS a long one, but really really really interesting. The thing about the unnamed sources is that no one on either side would talk if they were named.

I don't hold put much hope for anything changing any time soon.

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 02:28 PM
me too neither

Wild Cobra
03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
not surprised you prefer not to read
He's right though. What's the point when the democrats didn't do shit either.

Again, care to summarize?

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Twelve pages...

Care to summarize? Not feeling up to that much reading today.Very hard to summarize.

The article is a behind the scenes, blow-by-blow account of very complex negotiations. Boehner and Obama both receive praise and criticism, and the article does not answer the question posed by the headline.

The closest thing to a conclusion I can see is that Obama had enough support for the "grand bargain" in his party, but Boehner did not.

Th'Pusher
03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Very hard to summarize.

The article is a behind the scenes, blow-by-blow account of very complex negotiations. Boehner and Obama both receive praise and criticism, and the article does not answer the question posed by the headline.

The closest thing to a conclusion I can see is that Obama had enough support for the "grand bargain" in his party, but Boehner did not.

So IOW, the blame for the blame for the deficit negotiation impasse can be lain directly at the feet of the republicans.

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't read it that way and neither does Matt Bai. Very complex negotiations failed, and both negotiators made mistakes. The thing that's striking to me is how close they were to a deal.

Anyway, I don't come away from it blaming Republicans. I posted it here because it's very detailed reporting on negotiations b/w Boehner and the WH, not to grind some ideological axe. I think Boehner negotiated in good faith, he just couldn't get his caucus to go along.

In the end, a deal was made and debt default was avoided (or at least postponed), so blame for the previous impasse is procedurally a moot question , though admittedly, as a political issue it is still very much alive.

CosmicCowboy
03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
The striking thing to me was not that it failed but that Obama then went on national television and claimed the deal fell through because the republicans wouldn't agree to any tax increases.

Th'Pusher
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't read it that way and neither does Matt Bai. Very complex negotiations failed, and both negotiators made mistakes. The thing that's striking to me is how close they were to a deal.

Anyway, I don't come away from it blaming Republicans. I posted it here because it's very detailed reporting on negotiations b/w Boehner and the WH, not to grind some ideological axe. I think Boehner negotiated in good faith, he just couldn't get his caucus to go along.

In the end, a deal was made and debt default was avoided (or at least postponed), so blame for the previous impasse is procedurally a moot question , though admittedly, as a political issue it is still very much alive.

Ya. I was kidding b/c the title of the op. I'm not funny. I am planning on reading the full article this evening when I ave more time. Thanks for posting.

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
The striking thing to me was not that it failed but that Obama then went on national television and claimed the deal fell through because the republicans wouldn't agree to any tax increases.both sides spun it hard and are still spinning. this was one of Obama's big mistakes. pitching in with the Gang of Six was another.

CosmicCowboy
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
both sides spun it hard and are still spinning

True, but when does spin stop and just outright lies start?

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
the lying stopped at some point? that's news to me...

Winehole23
03-29-2012, 03:49 PM
slightly related:

The conventional wisdom that nearly infinite demand exists for U.S. Treasury debt is flawed and especially dangerous at a time of record U.S. sovereign debt issuance.

The recently released Federal Reserve Flow of Funds report for all of 2011 reveals that Federal Reserve purchases of Treasury debt mask reduced demand for U.S. sovereign obligations. Last year the Fed purchased a stunning 61% of the total net Treasury issuance, up from negligible amounts prior to the 2008 financial crisis. This not only creates the false appearance of limitless demand for U.S. debt but also blunts any sense of urgency to reduce supersized budget deficits.

Still, the outdated notion of never-ending buyers for U.S. debt is perpetuated by many. For instance, in recent testimony before the Senate Budget Committee, former Federal Reserve Board Vice Chairman Alan Blinder said, "If you look at the markets, they're practically falling over themselves to lend money to the federal government." Sadly, that's no longer accurate.

It is true that the U.S. government has never been more dependent on financial markets to pay its bills. The net issuance of Treasury securities is now a whopping 8.6% of gross domestic product (GDP) on average per annum—more than double its pre-crisis historical peak. The net issuance of Treasury securities to cover budget deficits has typically been a mere 0.6% to 3.9% of GDP on average for each decade dating back to the 1950s.

The Fed is in effect subsidizing U.S. government spending and borrowing via expansion of its balance sheet and massive purchases of Treasury bonds. This keeps Treasury interest rates abnormally low, camouflaging the true size of the budget deficit. Similarly, the Fed is providing preferential credit to the U.S. government and covering a rapidly widening gap between Treasury's need to borrow and a more limited willingness among market participants to supply Treasury with credit.

But in recent years foreigners and the U.S. private sector have grown less willing to fund the U.S. government. As the nearby chart shows, foreign purchases of U.S. Treasury debt plunged to 1.9% of GDP in 2011 from nearly 6% of GDP in 2009. Similarly, the U.S. private sector—namely banks, mutual funds, corporations and individuals—have reduced their purchases of U.S. government debt to a scant 0.9% of GDP in 2011 from a peak of more than 6% in 2009.

The failure by officials to normalize conditions in the U.S. Treasury market and curtail ballooning deficits puts the U.S. economy and markets at risk for a sharp correction. Lessons from the recent European sovereign-debt crisis and past emerging-market financial crises illustrate how it is often the asynchronous adjustment between budget borrowing requirements and the market's appetite to fund deficits that triggers a shock or crisis. In other words, budget deficits often take years to build or reduce, while financial markets react rapidly and often unexpectedly to deficit spending and debt.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577279754275393064.html?K EYWORDS=fed+buying+61+of+debt

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/ED-AP063A_goodm_G_20120327173310.jpg

RandomGuy
03-29-2012, 05:25 PM
So IOW, the blame for the blame for the deficit negotiation impasse can be lain directly at the feet of the republicans.

Not all republicans. Tea party nutballs, maybe.

I would support some cuts to social programs, IF we raised taxes as well.

Most Democrats would agree to that.

I would even be willing to put "substantial" in front of cuts.

The tea party freshmen, who rather loudly state they were not elected to comprimise, though, can't, on the issue of raising taxes.

or won't.

The problem needs fixing at both ends.

If one side is willing to comprimise, and one side isn't...

It seems fairly clear to me.

coyotes_geek
03-29-2012, 06:19 PM
True, but when does spin stop and just outright lies start?

That transition occurs at the net separating my team's side of the ping pong table from the other team's.

Winehole23
03-30-2012, 03:27 AM
The problem needs fixing at both ends.

If one side is willing to comprimise, and one side isn't...

It seems fairly clear to me.What if going along would be against your principles. Isn't that valid?

In the end an agreement to avert default was reached. It was kind of a punt, but that's the style now...

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Boehner spoke on the record. Hats off to that. . .

EVAY
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
My overall take on the article itself was that Obama and Boehner HAD a deal.

Obama was really worried about how much his base would react to the spending cuts if there weren't more tax increases on the table.

Boehner had agreed to some tax increases, but most of the revenue increase was to come from changes to the tax code.

Boehner's tea party freshmen absolutely refused to consider ANY tax rate increases at all, and told Boehner they would vote it down. Obama was, at the same time, asking for changes to the rates for the top earners.

So it all fell apart.

Boehner went on national tv to say the President was 'moving the goal posts', and Obama went on national tv to say that the republicans refused to consider any tax increases.

Both Obama and Boehner were accurate in their statements up to a point, but both of them overstated the positions of the opponents. DUH!!!

So they both played to their bases.

It was the closest we have come to a real change in how things work in along, long time. And they ALL blew it.

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 10:45 PM
the two parties governing together -- hell, even having lunch and socializing together -- is a thing of the past.

comity is gone. courtesy, more honored in the misuse than the observance, becomes a harangue. mutual respect and appreciation is gone. government becomes a charade of competing misrule.

cheers to all. it could be a hell of ride. :toast

Winehole23
03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
(Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye)

Winehole23
07-31-2012, 07:48 PM
can, kicked again:

Congressional leaders and the White House have reached a deal to adopt a stopgap spending bill after the August recess that would fund the government through the first quarter of 2013, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Tuesday afternoon.

The agreement allows lawmakers to avoid engaging in an ugly spending fight during what is already expected to be an extraordinarily hectic post-election work session.

"It will provide stability for the coming months," Reid said of the funding extension. "This is very good because we can resolve these situations that directly affect the country as soon as the election is over."

The six-month continuing resolution, which Reid said would contain no policy riders, would be prorated at the 2013 spending level set by the Budget Control Act last August. Neither chamber will take up a continuing resolution bill this week; House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said in a statement that the legislation would be crafted during the August recess. Congress will have eight legislative work days in September before the current fiscal year ends on Sept. 30.

http://influencealley.nationaljournal.com/2012/07/aides-sixmonth-spendingbill-ag.php

spursncowboys
07-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Lol It's good to see the Right and Left coming together to errrrrr make a decision.

Winehole23
07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.economist.com/node/21559630

Wild Cobra
08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Lol It's good to see the Right and Left coming together to errrrrr make a decision.
It's nuclear war if they don't agree to do nothing. Assured mutual destruction if they battle before the election.

boutons_deux
08-01-2012, 06:09 AM
House GOP Tax Plan Raises Taxes On 10 Times As Many People As Democratic Proposal

Senate Republicans last week proposed a plan that would raise taxes on more than 20 million Americans, while maintaining the high-end Bush tax cuts. Letting those tax cuts on income in excess of $250,000 expire would affect just two million wealthy taxpayers, by comparison.

Now, House Republicans have adopted the same plan, and the effect is the same: roughly 24 million middle- and lower-class Americans will see their taxes raised so that roughly two million of the richest taxpayers can maintain a tax cut, as this chart from the Center for American Progress’ Seth Hanlon and Sarah Ayres illustrate:

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/HouseTaxChart1.jpg

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/HouseTaxChart2.png

According to the analysis, roughly 11 million American families would lose some or all of the American Opportunity Tax Credit, which provides a tax break on college tuition payments, at an average cost of $1,100 each. About 12 million would lose part or all of the Child Tax Credit, costing them an average of $800, and about 6 million would lose all or part of the Earned Income Tax Credit, which saves each recipient an average of $500.

The Senate GOP plan failed last week, as the Senate instead adopted a Democratic proposal that would extend a tax cut on just the first $250,000 in income.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/31/617611/house-gop-tax-plan-charts/

Obviously, the Repugs just enriching/protecting the 1%, while screwing the 99%, esp the lower 50%.

aka, euphemistically "broadening the tax base", or the LIE: "shared sacrifice" :lol

Gotta hand it to the Repugs/tea baggers, they really do have no shame, while insulting the obviously low political interest and intelligence of Americans.

Get back to us when they do something to the 99% other then screw them.

spursncowboys
08-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Shouldn't the budget be something they have to do? I guess after three years, they see that it works to not do one. Good for them for keeping their jobs and doing the least amount of work.

Drachen
08-01-2012, 09:23 AM

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

But yeah, this fuckin sucks.

coyotes_geek
08-01-2012, 09:49 AM
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Personally, I would choose a path that's clear. I would choose free will.

Winehole23
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Shouldn't the budget be something they have to do? I guess after three years, they see that it works to not do one. Passing a budget bill isn't a requirement. Before 1921 there was no scientific budget; whatever Congress appropriated was the budget. Maybe we're going back to that.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5648616&postcount=10

Winehole23
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM
because, deficit spending: http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/politics/gop-business-tax-cut/

Wild Cobra
07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
I don't know where to start the video for this yet, but here is the sponsor speaking:

C-Span link: House 7/11/14 (http://www.c-span.org/video/?320387-1/us-house-legislative-business& start=1692)

Here is the vote:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll404.xml

258 to 160 with 34 democrat yes votes and 2 republican no votes.

Here is the bill as voted for:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr4718eh/pdf/BILLS-113hr4718eh.pdf