PDA

View Full Version : ....Doggie DNA nails owners of pets leaving smelly piles

RandomGuy
07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Not quite as weighty as the death penalty...

..CONWAY, Mass (Reuters) - Some pet owners who failed to clean up after their dogs got a nasty surprise from apartment complex manager Deb Logan.

Using DNA evidence, Logan started fining the irresponsible dog owners $100 per offense.

Logan, property manager at Twin Ponds in Nashua, New Hampshire, started using a dog DNA-testing system to reveal which pooches were leaving feces scattered about outside.

Logan says the DNA technology called "PooPrints", developed by BioPet Vet Labs of Knoxville, Tennessee, is working "amazingly" well for Twin Ponds, a 339-unit complex that is home to about 241 dogs.

"And for a property manager to not have to guess who the violator is, is absolutely wonderful," she told Reuters in a phone interview.

Dog-friendly Twin Ponds, located near the border with Massachusetts, is BioPet's largest client using PooPrints to solve the mystery of who left the offending mound.

Using doggie DNA to solve the smelly who did it is becoming increasingly popular in apartment complexes nationwide from Jupiter, Florida to Rockville Center, New York, where violators are fine up to $1,000 per steaming pile.

At Twin Ponds, all tenants with a dog now must use a PooPrints pet DNA sampling kit when they move in. To set up a profile, owners come to Logan's office, swab their dogs' cheeks for a saliva sample, and Twin Ponds then sends that to BioPet, which creates a reference database that includes all the community's canines.

When a canine deposit is left on the communal grounds, Twin Ponds mails BioPet a gumball-sized sample of feces to be matched to a pooch via DNA. BioPet claims its testing has a 99.9 percent accuracy rate.

DNA is the individual biological coding that makes each creature unique.

"It's really not a Big Brother-type thing, and we don't test a lot of feces," said BioPet president Jim Simpson, noting that the firm probably tests just a half-dozen samples per month for Twin Ponds.

"So the program is doing what we want it to do and what the property manager wants it to do - simply to encourage folks to clean up after their dogs, so they don't have to have employees and services out there doing it," he said.

Simpson and Logan both believe the majority of pet owners are responsible people who dutifully clean up dog droppings. Only an estimated 10 percent, or less, of the dog waste at a group of residential complexes polled by BioPet goes unscooped, Simpson said.

Nevertheless, complaints about dog waste nationally have been piling up in recent years.

An average dog leaves behind 276 pounds of it a year, according to the PooPrints web site. And there are about 77.5 million owned dogs in the United States. That's enough to fill 800 football fields to a depth of one foot, BioPet says.

The problem of dog excrement hit No. 6 on the list of America's top gripes last year, according to a survey by Consumer Reports.

On top of that, experts say serious health and environmental concerns go along with unscooped pet waste.

Even though livestock account for the vast majority of animal waste, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), dogs are significant contributors to source water contamination. Probably the greatest human health concern linked with animal waste is harmful pathogens like Cryptosporidium, Salmonella, Giardia lamblia and E. coli, the EPA says.

So far this year at Twin Ponds, Logan has issued about 20 fines to residents for failing to clean up after their dogs. If a resident refuses to pay, she begins eviction proceedings the following month.

(Reporting by Zach Howard; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Greg McCune)

http://news.yahoo.com/doggie-dna-nails-owners-pets-leaving-smelly-piles-144609180.html

Dayum.... :wow

DMC
07-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I love how articles such as that one explain what DNA is. Somewhere some hick is saying "awe... that's what it is"

With that accuracy, I would send them 99.90. See how they respond.

William Hung
07-08-2011, 07:39 PM
lol poo prints
lol smelly piles

thispego
07-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd fine 1g every fuckin time. Even though I never pick up my dogs' shit. What the fuck am I? Trashman? I'm not picking up a warm steaming pile of poop.

mrsmaalox
07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd fine 1g every fuckin time. Even though I never pick up my dogs' shit. What the fuck am I? Trashman? I'm not picking up a warm steaming pile of poop.

I won't pick it up when it's warm either :lol I walk my dog on a trail that is a 2 mile loop, so I pick it up on the next time around after it's cooled and solidified. But thank goodness he's a little neurotic and rarely poops away from home.

thispego
07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
My cousins dog only poops behind the shed in the corner of the backyard. There's mounds of poop back there but it's out of sight out of mind :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
07-09-2011, 03:49 PM
:lol I don't know what's funnier. Not getting enough paper towels or possibly wearing a glove, in combination with using paper towels, to spare oneself from the temperature of dog shit or revisiting a pile of dog shit to pick it up once it's cooled. Especially if it's not on your own lawn :lol