PDA

View Full Version : WSJ source says Rick is going to run

Blake
07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
A Republican campaign veteran tells us that Texas Governor Rick Perry has decided to run for President, though the official word from Team Perry is still a definite maybe.

Our normally reliable Republican source reports that Mr. Perry has surveyed the field and decided to get in the race later this summer, perhaps around the time of the national prayer meeting that Mr. Perry is hosting on August 6 at a Houston football stadium. Our source also reports that Mr. Perry is aiming to compete in the Iowa Straw Poll, even though it occurs just a week later, on August 13.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304569504576403751413473280.html

baseline bum
07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, the Republican field just keeps getting worse. What next? Pat Robertson? Glenn Beck?

Spurminator
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Except Perry is actually electable.

baseline bum
07-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Except Perry is actually electable.

Really? Outside of Texas? That's an extremely scary thought.

Spurminator
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I think so. He's got good-ol'-boy charisma and Texas isn't the only state that values simple talkin' moralistic southern values. He'll be the perfect opponent to take advantage of the impression people have that Obama is all fancy-liberal-intellectual talk and no action.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Plus, Rick gets to brag about creating jobs. No other candidate out there does.

jack sommerset
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Anyone can beat Barry. It's getting the repug nod that will be tough.

Vici
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
lol

Somewhere Barry is having a good time with this.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Another fiscal-conservative-in-name-only... worked for Reagan...

jack sommerset
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
lol

Somewhere Barry is having a good time with this.

Keep telling yourself that. We owe 4 trillion more , 70 percent of the people don't want his healthcare plan that will bankrupt this country for sure, we are in 3 wars now (he was against the two before and thats what got the douche elected) 9.2 unemployment, repugs destroyed the dems last election everywhere. I lost count of all the lies and and the basic differences he has with the average american and what do you get from the peanut gallery when you talk about barrys chances??? "um, repugs are stupid" Not so stupid they kicked the shit out of barry and the gang in Nov 2010.

I know barry is having a good time but not about his chances of re-election

ElNono
07-08-2011, 07:36 PM
In other words, you think people hate him because he's been too much like Bush Jr...

ElNono
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I thought Bush Jr was also done after the first 4 years, but then Kerry happened... weak candidates have a way to hand out elections.

jack sommerset
07-08-2011, 08:23 PM
In other words, you think people hate him because he's been too much like Bush Jr...

No. Barry is his own man and people hate him for what he has done. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter who runs against barry in 2012. I, 100 percent believe barry has fucked up so much it doesn't matter who the repugs roll out there. Anything they bring to the ballot is better than that piece of garbage.

DarrinS
07-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Doesn't matter who the GOP candidate is. None of them can defeat the greatest president in American history who brought us so much hope and change. BHO, mmm mmm mmm.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
No. Barry is his own man and people hate him for what he has done. What I am saying is that it doesn't matter who runs against barry in 2012. I, 100 percent believe barry has fucked up so much it doesn't matter who the repugs roll out there. Anything they bring to the ballot is better than that piece of garbage.

And what I was pointing out is that the stuff you say people should hate him for is no different than what dubya did in his first term... Obamacare = Medicare Part D. Walked in with 0 wars, had 2 by re-election. Trillions added to the debt in both the wars and unpaid-for tax cuts. Unemployment doubled in his first term, and he wasn't even dealing with a recession like we have now. Plus 2 years into his second term the GOP was destroyed in legislative elections, with the democrats one vote short of super majority IIRC.

And no, I'm not defending/excusing Barry. I did think dubya shouldn't have been re-elected for those reasons too, so I agree he should GTFO. The thing is, who runs against him matters. Much like it mattered when Kerry ran against dubya.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Plus no GOP candidate can claim they killed OBL :lol

SnakeBoy
07-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I thought Bush Jr was also done after the first 4 years, but then Kerry happened... weak candidates have a way to hand out elections.

None of the legit GOP candidates are as weak as Kerry was. And Bush was only vulnerable because of Iraq but as we all know it's the economy that drives presidential elections.

SnakeBoy
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
What was the unemployment rate in '04 El Nono?

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
What was the unemployment rate in '04 El Nono?

It was 3.8% in 2000 when he won the election, peaked at 6.3% in Jul '03... and this was with a balanced budget handed to him, full control of congress and without the recession he handed to Barry.

And I completely agree that the economy is the major point on most elections. This one won't be an exception, and he should be defeated.

As far as the "no legit GOP candidates are as weak as Kerry", well, who are the 'legit GOP candidates'?

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
It was 3.8% in 2000 when he won the election, peaked at 6.3% in Jul '03... and this was with a balanced budget handed to him, full control of congress and without the recession he handed to Barry.2001 called. It wants its reputation back.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Hello, tech crash?

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
2001 called. It wants its reputation back.

Sure. I'm not playing that down. I'll leave that to boutons and his 'he knew about it and did nothing. GFY. Ankle Biter'.

IIRC, he did run most of his re-election campaign with the 'can't change leaders now in the middle of war' meme, and that was one of the few elections were the economy took a back-seat (which really tells you how good was it when it was handed to him and how badly he obliterated it in two terms).

People that think I'm excusing Obama are missing the point. I'm not. He should be kicked out. I think most on the left see him too far to the right anyways, but saying he's hated for those points is really looking through GOP-colored glasses.

jack sommerset
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
And what I was pointing out is that the stuff you say people should hate him for is no different than what dubya did in his first term... Obamacare = Medicare Part D. Walked in with 0 wars, had 2 by re-election. Trillions added to the debt in both the wars and unpaid-for tax cuts. Unemployment doubled in his first term, and he wasn't even dealing with a recession like we have now. Plus 2 years into his second term the GOP was destroyed in legislative elections, with the democrats one vote short of super majority IIRC.

And no, I'm not defending/excusing Barry. I did think dubya shouldn't have been re-elected for those reasons too, so I agree he should GTFO. The thing is, who runs against him matters. Much like it mattered when Kerry ran against dubya.

The problem with this take for Barry is, barry "Blamed Bush" for everything and barry said he would get out of the wars but instead added more troops to one and got involved in one all by his lonesome, seriously all by himself. Didn't bother asking anyone ...... Obamacare stands all by itself. I'm off to Vegas baby, VEGAS!!!

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello, tech crash?

Was it anything like the property crash?

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:32 PM
The problem with this take for Barry is, barry "Blamed Bush" for everything and barry said he would get out of the wars but instead added more troops to one and got involved in one all by his lonesome, seriously all by himself. Didn't bother asking anyone ...... Obamacare stands all by itself. I'm off to Vegas baby, VEGAS!!!

I wouldn't discard him blaming Bush again, tbh. Don't think it's gonna fly though. Have fun jack.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
As far as the "no legit GOP candidates are as weak as Kerry", well, who are the 'legit GOP candidates'?
The ones with birth certificates.

Actually, any of them with leadership experience.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Sure. I'm not playing that down. You did.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Was it anything like the property crash?My PFA answer might not be the best answer. Was it?

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
You did.

The only thing the WTC tangentially touches upon those points are the wars. Which by all accounts should've only been one war. Tax cuts, Medicare Part D, the Iraq war, unemployment nearly doubling... there's no connection there with 9/11... If you think there is a connection, please make it.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
There is no connection.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
My PFA answer might not be the best answer. Was it?

No it was not, IMO. There's a reason this recession is considered the biggest crash since the great depression. The tech crash left some companies in good standing still operating today, and drove a major development in tech that's still lasting, didn't require any bailouts that I remember, and the economy was in general in good shape (balanced budget, spending cuts in place, monetary solvency, etc). People might not want to hear it, but Barry did get a turd sandwich there.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
The connection is crazy bullshit. If i were not so crazy already it might make me crazy.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:50 PM
No it was not...The tech crash left some companies in good standing still operating today, and drove a major development in tech that's still lasting, didn't require any bailouts that I remember, and the economy was in general in good shape (balanced budget, spending cuts in place, monetary solvency, etc). People might not want to hear it, but Barry did get a turd sandwich there.2001 was a turd sandwich, say all you want about the bun.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:54 PM
2001 was a turd sandwich, say all you want about the bun.

No doubt it was a turd too. But it wasn't Clinton handing it to dubya, nor it justifies the bad economic decisions made then.

SnakeBoy
07-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Imo it's Romney, Romney, and Romney at this point. If this report is true it's Romney and Perry. Both have a legit chance to beat Obama. Bachmann is the GOP's Howard Dean, she'll make some waves but in some unscripted moment she'll reveal that she's psychotic.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
2001 was a turd sandwich, say all you want about the bun.
No shit.

A great deal of high paying jobs, including mine, were lost in the bubble burst. Beforehand, at my location, we were teaching the trade to people in Malaysia, and much of the tech industry that was stateside, became outsourced there. Other places too.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
No doubt it was a turd too. But it wasn't Clinton handing it to dubya, nor it justifies the bad economic decisions made then.Does anything justify them?

ElNono
07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Imo it's Romney, Romney, and Romney at this point. If this report is true it's Romney and Perry. Both have a legit chance to beat Obama. Bachmann is the GOP's Howard Dean, she'll make some waves but in some unscripted moment she'll reveal that she's psychotic.

tbh, the only reason I heard about Perry is this forum and the fact I have family in Texas. Nobody heard of that guy around these places. Not to mention the stuff spoken about him around here is oftentimes less than flattering (ie: his addiction to federal money among other things).

Romney... I'm not sold he's that legit. At least, I'm not so sure it would be a cakewalk for him to beat Barry.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Does anything justify them?

Nope, IMO.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
A great deal of high paying jobs, including mine, were lost in the bubble burst. Beforehand, at my location, we were teaching the trade to people in Malaysia, and much of the tech industry that was stateside, became outsourced there. Other places too.

Outsourcing had little to do with the tech crash. If you don't know what the tech IPO bubble was, just stay quiet.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Actually, any of them with leadership experience.

I miss the presence of a strong leader.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Any leadership experience is preferable over Obama. He has zilch.

Actually, I'm glad he's such a bad leader. If he could have brought more of his ideals to life, we would be in far worse shape than we are now.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Actually, I'm glad he's such a bad leader. If he could have brought more of his ideals to life, we would be in far worse shape than we are now.What ideals?

SnakeBoy
07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
tbh, the only reason I heard about Perry is this forum and the fact I have family in Texas. Nobody heard of that guy around these places. Not to mention the stuff spoken about him around here is oftentimes less than flattering (ie: his addiction to federal money among other things).

Romney... I'm not sold he's that legit. At least, I'm not so sure it would be a cakewalk for him to beat Barry.

Well if he runs you'll get to know him. He's a great politician (that's not a compliment). I'm not a fan but he knows how to campaign.

Romney's challenge is the primaries not the general election. If he wins he can appeal to independents/moderates. Conservatives will show up to vote against Obama not for Romney in the general.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 10:15 PM

You also thought McCain/Palin had more leadership experience. That didn't get them elected back then.

Sticking to the economic woes like unemployment makes for a more credible, and easily provable argument.

ElNono
07-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Well if he runs you'll get to know him. He's a great politician (that's not a compliment). I'm not a fan but he knows how to campaign.

Romney's challenge is the primaries not the general election. If he wins he can appeal to independents/moderates. Conservatives will show up to vote against Obama not for Romney in the general.

The independents will win the election, so it's going to be about campaigning for them. The fact that Barry has tilted more to the right gives him some ammo to talk about not being just a lefty. I personally don't care too much about the defined conservative or liberal vote. Those always go their way, and are not deteminant. I don't even think Obama received that many conservative votes, tbh. He did manage to get more liberals to the poll, which is rare.

Perry needs to get in the action soon too if he wants to be known. He's got a little over a year to make the rounds. A guy like Christie I can see starting late, seeing he's known a bit more nationally.

Winehole23
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Nope, IMO.
Nope.

angrydude
07-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Rick Perry is just a republican Al Gore. I don't know why Texas kept electing that moron.

Winehole23
07-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Hilarious, angrydude. I never understood it. And I've lived in Texas all my life.

Winehole23
07-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Wonder if Rick Perry will stay on as governor or quit for the campaign. If he so chooses, he can create an heir apparent.

Winehole23
07-09-2011, 02:24 AM
...but he may not want to.

boutons_deux
07-09-2011, 07:17 AM
He ran TX is into a crushing debt (typical Repug result, cut taxes, and then cut education, medical care, etc, etc) and he pandered to the bubbas about TX seceding, so, yes, he's obviously qualified to thump a Bible to defend the Constitution.

RickPerry
07-09-2011, 08:43 AM
The field is still wide open and there is pawlenty of time to decide. Romney's chances of winning the nomination palin comparison to mine.

a777pilot
05-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Rick was my first choice in the 2016 nomination process. Trump wasn't even close. Trump won and I voted for him. There is no way I would ever vote for Hillary. There was no more surprised person than me when Trump won the election......well, maybe Hillary.

I think Mr. Perry has done an outstanding job a Secretary of Energy.

As it stands now, after watching Trump for a bit over two years, this time I will vote for Trump because I believe in Trump. I would, however, like to see a different VP. One good choice would be Nikki Haley.