PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get google+ yet?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
f:lolcebook = f:lolcked

Kori Ellis
07-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Do you think it will really catch on like Facebook? I have it, but I haven't done much with it. (But I barely do anything on Facebook either, except post pics of our kids.)

ashbeeigh
07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes and no I don't think I'm going to use it. All the people I need to get in touch with I am able to get in touch with on facebook or twitter. No need for more shit.

I think it's like the new girl at school. It'll be hot for the first semester and then when everyone comes back from Christmas break they'll be like "Ehh. She was hot once..."

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Do you think it will really catch on like Facebook? I have it, but I haven't done much with it. (But I barely do anything on Facebook either, except post pics of our kids.)
The only thing that will stop it is people not making the switch. It's basically skype and facebook rolled into one, with added features. It took all of like 45 seconds for me to set up tho so I don't see people switching being a problem.

Barfunk
07-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Only a matter of time for before the next big thing/Facebook downfall happens??

ashbeeigh
07-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Only a matter of time for before the next big thing/Facebook downfall happens??

Google tried a social media thing earlier with Google Buzz. It was such a waste. I think they learned from their mistakes in G+, but I still stand by my statement that unless they have something ridiculously original I'm not switching.

Facebook is facebook because there wasn't fanfare surrounding it. It grew into what it is today because it wasn't "the next big thing." People wanted to connect and now we're connected. I'm connected. I get it. Google keeps trying to be "the next big thing" and they ruin all their stuff. Just roll it out, let the geeks geek out and then go away.

Lincoln
07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
can u import all ur fb shit onto it?

MannyIsGod
07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Once more people get on it I can see it being far better for me to use than facebook. I really really really like a lot of the features and they are already much better integrated with android than facebook is. I already use Gmail and Google Reader a lot though, and now that I'm using Google Music Beta I can definitely appreaciate how seemless it all is.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Also, I already really like Twitter way more than facebook but those two are different, IMO.

spursncowboys
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I got invites. Let me know who wants em. Just give me your email.

spursncowboys
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
if you use all the google programs like reader, latitude, calendar, contacts and buzz then yeah this is gonna be way better than facebook and/or twitter. Also there is a better split between your professional life and your personal life that google helps to keep seperate.

AnthonyM
07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Google tried a social media thing earlier with Google Buzz. It was such a waste. I think they learned from their mistakes in G+, but I still stand by my statement that unless they have something ridiculously original I'm not switching.

Isn't integrating Skype and Facebook into one social platform original?

Google+ was in beta testing before Zuckerberg announced that Facebook would be getting video chat. Not to mention Google+ has a group video chat option also available, something that Facebook isn't offering yet.

I agree in the sense that it won't take off like Facebook did because at the time social networking was also about to explode, but I can see Google+ really make a dent into Facebook's fan base. Especially because Facebook isn't as simple as it once was with all the game notifications, and the mess that can fill people's pages.

Also, take into account that once you open up Google on your computer, Google+ is at the top toolbar thing already open for you and it shows what notifications you have, if any. So anyone that needs to search something on the biggest/most popular search engine out there, will likely take the time to check their Google+ account as soon as they go to "google.com" before they input their search. It's a pretty seamless and fluid integration for new users, imo.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Facebook announced their video chat after Google+ and its still worse considering G+ allows for multiple users at once while FB is just 1v1. Also, I completely agree about the notifications being in one place being so good. I love that.

Lincoln
07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
pm'ed u spursncowboys

koriwhat
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
i got it but i have no idea what to do with it... only thing i don't like is the fact i can't disable people's streams, like they post a photo and i have to see it on my page, wtf?!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Is it seamless with voice/talk?

spursncowboys
07-10-2011, 08:09 PM
pm'ed u spursncowboys
As soon as I get off shift in a few hours, I'll send yours and everyone else who PM'ed me. The computer I'm on right now has a block for that.

Frenzy
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I'll wait till it gets more mainstream so I can bash it.

DMC
07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I like Google products. I don't use any social networking sites, but G+ might be cool for those who do.

spursncowboys
07-10-2011, 11:09 PM
All the PM'es I sent an invite. If you didnt get one, let me know and I'll try it again.

Das Texan
07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
This google + thing looks sweet. Once more people are on it, it might really be great.

Feel free to add me to your circle, adam rabel

DisAsTerBot
07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I'll wait till it gets more mainstream so I can bash it.

im gonna get it on the ground floor so i can say i scoffed it from day one

Soul_Patch
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes and no I don't think I'm going to use it. All the people I need to get in touch with I am able to get in touch with on facebook or twitter. No need for more shit.

I think it's like the new girl at school. It'll be hot for the first semester and then when everyone comes back from Christmas break they'll be like "Ehh. She was hot once..."

This is what everyone said when Myspace was the thing, and facebook was an up and comer.

Now look what happened.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I haven't the slightest if you can do this with FB as I dumped my account months ago, but the auto upload of pics from your cell is pretty cool.

mFFL03
07-15-2011, 07:49 PM
if FB creates a Circle like interface that makes it easy to categorize your friends, Google+ is dust. Sometimes I have to think twice about what I'm posting and then just not post at all. So in that way FB has become watered down for me.

You're honestly looking at 2-3 years of the main public jumping on there though. Plus, this is going to test people if they really want to add everyone ALL over again. But isn't that some of the gripe as well? We dont want to have to hit that add button again?

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I haven't the slightest if you can do this with FB as I dumped my account months ago, but the auto upload of pics from your cell is pretty cool.

Love this feature.

ashbeeigh
07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
This is what everyone said when Myspace was the thing, and facebook was an up and comer.

Now look what happened.

I used both differently. I use all my social media accounts differently. I used myspace for shits and giggles in college. Random surveys and bs. I added some bands and some people from high school...but I never really got in to it. I always used facebook. I jumped into facebook in 2006 the second it was available. I use twitter for professional networking. And now I have a tumblr account for random music related stuff. I don't know what I'll use Google + for.

For me they all have a space. Google + doesn't really have a space for me yet. Does it for you?

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I find it interesting that you use Twitter for professional networking. I'm not sure how that would work. I use Twitter for breaking news and in game discussions for the most part. Watching a game without Tweetdeck open on my phone is a lesser experience for me now. When I've got time to kill Twitter is also great and every road trip I've taken in the past year so I've posted a ton of pics on Twitter. I follow certain professionals and organizations in my field but really I get more news from my fields via RSS.

I use Facebook mainly to keep track of friends and nothing else.

Google +, to me, actually seems very much built in as a professional networking type of place. When you combine the web conferencing abilities with Sparks and Circles I see it as the best place to distribute and gather information. Facebook seems way more "informal" and that is a big reason why I don't think they can fill the niche the way G+ can. Right now G+ is 18 and up only and I hope it never changes that.

Drachen
07-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Love this feature.

when it asked me if I wanted to do that I was like "yes yes a thousand times yes"
I have been wishing that FB would do that for about 2-3 months now.

Fpoonsie
07-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Right now G+ is 18 and up only and I hope it never changes that.

'Cause god fuh'bid 17 and under faggots like mouse start running rampant on the place.

Oh, wait.

ashbeeigh
07-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I find it interesting that you use Twitter for professional networking. I'm not sure how that would work. I use Twitter for breaking news and in game discussions for the most part. Watching a game without Tweetdeck open on my phone is a lesser experience for me now. When I've got time to kill Twitter is also great and every road trip I've taken in the past year so I've posted a ton of pics on Twitter. I follow certain professionals and organizations in my field but really I get more news from my fields via RSS.

I've found a lot of non-profit and social work people to learn from there. And have gotten some really great advice on interviewing and job searches there. Of course, it is nichy at times, but it works for me. I've also received faster responses on several job applications by tweeting the organizations that I sent them an application than by e-mailing them the follow-up. That's not to say I don't use it every once in a while for Spurs games and to ramble about the weather and music...I do that as well...but because it's not a closed twitter account I try to keep it professional and not say anything that could offend anyone that happens to google my name.

I haven't really used RSS- for me it's a pain to set up. IMaybe I'll get more into G+ later, but for right now I have the account, but am not using it.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Sure there are older people who are just as bad but that's not the point. A service being 18 and up alone gives it more of a professional feel. Its not exactly Linkedn or what not but its also not myspace/facebook either. FB at one point was 18+ as well - or at least effectively so when it was limited to universities.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I've found a lot of non-profit and social work people to learn from there. And have gotten some really great advice on interviewing and job searches there. Of course, it is nichy at times, but it works for me. I've also received faster responses on several job applications by tweeting the organizations that I sent them an application than by e-mailing them the follow-up. That's not to say I don't use it every once in a while for Spurs games and to ramble about the weather and music...I do that as well...but because it's not a closed twitter account I try to keep it professional and not say anything that could offend anyone that happens to google my name.

I haven't really used RSS- for me it's a pain to set up. IMaybe I'll get more into G+ later, but for right now I have the account, but am not using it.

RSS is incredibly easy to set up on most pages. Most have a simple button you click on and it adds it to your reader of choice. I would be extremely leery of asking about an application follow up through Twitter as opposed to email due to professional appearances but it has become quite clear to me after heading the search to fill my former position that I have a much higher bar than about 90% of people I've encountered. I'm not knocking you - just stating my views on job searching/application/interviewing.

My web presence on Twitter is much more guarded than other places because I also have an open account and I do follow certain professional organizations on there so I completely understand your feelings there. My Facebook on the other hand - is completely locked down. I'm sure I've cursed at times on my twitter account but I think that its fairly rare and its probably always been in reference to a bad call and has involved the words "bull" and "shit".

We could actually probably have a whole thread on "web presence" and the dangers of it being traced back to you in certain job searches.

G+ is definitely not there yet. Its only been open for a couple of weeks so that is understandable and it is still in beta testing and there are daily bugs that I've encountered but the fundamental idea of what they want to accomplish is a good one, IMO, and I'm a big fan of the things Google goes after.

ashbeeigh
07-15-2011, 09:06 PM
RSS is incredibly easy to set up on most pages. Most have a simple button you click on and it adds it to your reader of choice. I would be extremely leery of asking about an application follow up through Twitter as opposed to email due to professional appearances but it has become quite clear to me after heading the search to fill my former position that I have a much higher bar than about 90% of people I've encountered. I'm not knocking you - just stating my views on job searching/application/interviewing.

My web presence on Twitter is much more guarded than other places because I also have an open account and I do follow certain professional organizations on there so I completely understand your feelings there. My Facebook on the other hand - is completely locked down. I'm sure I've cursed at times on my twitter account but I think that its fairly rare and its probably always been in reference to a bad call and has involved the words "bull" and "shit".

We could actually probably have a whole thread on "web presence" and the dangers of it being traced back to you in certain job searches.

G+ is definitely not there yet. Its only been open for a couple of weeks so that is understandable and it is still in beta testing and there are daily bugs that I've encountered but the fundamental idea of what they want to accomplish is a good one, IMO, and I'm a big fan of the things Google goes after.

I don't know the whole twitter as a professional tool is there yet. I still don't know if I'm 100% on board with it was a strict professional tool, but I have found some great things there.

I've heard godo things about RSS, too. Not knocking you either.

I totally agree about google. They do great things. I just don't know if I'm quite there yet with jumping on the g+ bandwagon. Maybe once its less buggy like you said.

DeadlyDynasty
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM
hook up the invite, yo

Fernando TD21
07-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Can anyone send me an invitation? I'm not much into social networks, but I'd like to give google+ a try.

Jekka
07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't know the whole twitter as a professional tool is there yet. I still don't know if I'm 100% on board with it was a strict professional tool, but I have found some great things there.

I've heard godo things about RSS, too. Not knocking you either.

I totally agree about google. They do great things. I just don't know if I'm quite there yet with jumping on the g+ bandwagon. Maybe once its less buggy like you said.

As a librarian (or, "information professional," whatever) it's pretty much expected that I be keeping up with Twitter and other social networks, so I do. One thing I really like about Google+ is the fact that privacy settings are MUCH easier to maintain, and you can easily view your profile as anyone in your list or in the public so you know exactly what they see. I'm hoping to use it quite a bit for professional purposes, and some of the library associations are already recruiting each other via listservs into G+ circles. I'm enjoying watching it all happen from the ground up. I got on Facebook in 2004, but only used it for friends and didn't think too much about how it was all happening.

RSS is bad ass. If you have a Google account you can just use Google Reader for the feeds and they make it super easy. Even if you can't find an RSS link on a page, you can just give Reader the main page URL and if there IS a feed, it will find it for you. It is the only way that I am able to keep up with all of the library blogs (and webcomics, and news feeds, and job pages) in a timely manner.

ashbeeigh
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM
RSS is bad ass. If you have a Google account you can just use Google Reader for the feeds and they make it super easy. Even if you can't find an RSS link on a page, you can just give Reader the main page URL and if there IS a feed, it will find it for you. It is the only way that I am able to keep up with all of the library blogs (and webcomics, and news feeds, and job pages) in a timely manner.

I love Google Reader. I don't have any particular blogs that I keep up with though, that might be part of why I don't get into the whole RSS/Google Reader thing. When I was blogging I tried to just as a courtesy to those that I was working with/colleagues with but now that I'm not writing anymore it's kind of fell off as a priority.

boutons_deux
07-16-2011, 11:10 AM
RSS is right up there with email and www as a killer app.

I started years ago Windows RSS app but it was horribly slow. Been with Google reader ever since.

InRareForm
07-16-2011, 12:06 PM
http://gplus.to/

shorten your g+ profile link

leemajors
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Google Reader is great, and so is Reeder for iOS. My only complaint about Google Reader is the lack of themes. I'd like something besides white on white.

spurs_2108
07-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I use pulse on my htc evo for my rrs feed. I like it a lot. I'm testing out google reader now.

MannyIsGod
07-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Those asking for invites - need your email address.

spursncowboys
07-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I love how I can put work in one category, family in another. there are things i don't want the people i work with to see me say. before, i would just not put anything down.

Fernando TD21
07-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Those asking for invites - need your email address.
PM sent. Thanks again. :toast

InRareForm
07-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I love how I can put work in one category, family in another. there are things i don't want the people i work with to see me say. before, i would just not put anything down.

yup. facebook failed with this with the whole groups thing.

Fabbs
07-16-2011, 05:09 PM
can u import all ur fb shit onto it?
+1?

I'm guessing Zukersuck blocked it but....geeks?

ashbeeigh
07-16-2011, 05:52 PM
+1?

I'm guessing Zukersuck blocked it but....geeks?

Yes, yes you can. http://www.chiphazard.com/2011/07/15/how-to-import-facebook-photos-to-google-plus/

Ignignokt
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I used both differently. I use all my social media accounts differently. I used myspace for shits and giggles in college. Random surveys and bs. I added some bands and some people from high school...but I never really got in to it. I always used facebook. I jumped into facebook in 2006 the second it was available. I use twitter for professional networking. And now I have a tumblr account for random music related stuff. I don't know what I'll use Google + for.

For me they all have a space. Google + doesn't really have a space for me yet. Does it for you?

:sleep

ashbeeigh
07-16-2011, 06:27 PM
:sleep

I love you too.

InRareForm
07-16-2011, 09:04 PM
hahaha

lefty
02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Crofl