PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Alllawi the last deception.

DeSPURado
09-21-2004, 04:44 AM
It's Ayad Allawi week. President Bush, starting with his address at the U.N. today, will try to present Mr. Allawi - a former Baathist who the BBC reports was chosen as prime minister because he was "equally mistrusted by everyone" - as the leader of a sovereign nation on the path to democracy. If the media play along, Mr. Bush may be able to keep the Iraq disaster under wraps for a few more weeks.

It may well work. In June, when the United States formally transferred sovereignty to Mr. Allawi's government, the media acted as if this empty gesture marked the end of the war. Even though American casualties continued to rise, stories about Iraq dropped off the evening news and the front pages. This gave the public the impression that things were improving and helped Mr. Bush recover in the polls.

Now Mr. Bush hopes that by pretending that Mr. Allawi is a real leader of a real government, he can conceal the fact that he has led America into a major strategic defeat.

That's a stark statement, but it's a view shared by almost all independent military and intelligence experts. Put it this way: it's hard to identify any major urban areas outside Kurdistan where the U.S. and its allies exercise effective control. Insurgents operate freely, even in the heart of Baghdad, while coalition forces, however many battles they win, rule only whatever ground they happen to stand on. And efforts to put an Iraqi face on the occupation are self-defeating: as the example of Mr. Allawi shows, any leader who is too closely associated with America becomes tainted in the eyes of the Iraqi public.

Mr. Bush's insistence that he is nonetheless "pleased with the progress" in Iraq - when his own National Intelligence Estimate echoes the grim views of independent experts - would be funny if the reality weren't so grim. Unfortunately, this is no joke: to the delight of Al Qaeda, America's overstretched armed forces are gradually getting chewed up in a losing struggle.

NYtimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/21/opinion/21krugman.html?pagewanted=print&position=)

Yonivore
09-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Krugman has as much credibility as a washed-up newsreader from Houston, Texas.

The days of the left media bias are over.

Bernard Goldberg has been vindicated, the blinders are off and people like Krugman, Rather, Carville, et. al. will finally be seen as the partisan hacks they are.

Oh yeah, the New York Times isn't a paragon of journalistic ethics either, now is it?

spurster
09-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Whoever wins in November is going to have Iraq as a millstone around his neck. Do we choose Bush to stay the course, or do we choose Kerry with whatever his version of "peace with honor" is? Ugh.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't know what I'd do without the NYT telling me who is trustworthy or not.

Spurminator
09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
This column strikes me as bitching for the sake of bitching. The sooner we establish Iraq as a sovereign nation under its own power, the sooner we can leave. Every time there's an attempt to make progress in that direction, some will decry it as a political move.

If the Iraqi people are not on board with Allawi, they will make it known... and he will not likely last long. But I'd rather go ahead and begin the process of setting Iraq up to govern itself than wait until we have chosen leaders that every single insurgent and liberal news columnist agrees on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Seriously, if no one likes him over there, he'll be out after elections in January.

Democrats call the same scenario in America "the new hope." But in Iraq, it's apparently Bush's "new scam."

Whatever.