PDA

View Full Version : We almost became Argentina

picnroll
06-12-2005, 09:14 AM
link (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2005/06/12/the_ones_that_got_away/?page=4)

Wrong page with age
Now It Can Be Told Dept.: The Spurs, who already have Manu Ginobili and the rights to Luis Scola, were once hot on the trail of Argentina's Andres Nocioni as well. But they were given incorrect information from a scout as to the date of Nocioni's birth and thus missed the opportunity to draft Nocioni in 2001, when he was draft-eligible. Needless to say, the individual who supplied the incorrect information is no longer employed by the Spurs. And, stunningly, no NBA team drafted Nocioni, even with a throwaway second-round pick. Maybe everyone had the wrong info. He signed with the Bulls last year as a free agent. Popovich said his team also might have interest in Fabricio Oberto, yet another Argentine, who has arranged to make himself available to the highest bidder after playing several years overseas. Oberto, however, is 30.

Also the usual what ifs from Boston scribes.

danyel
06-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Also, didnt the Spurs wanted to sign Montecchia as 3rd PG at the start of the season? after the way he played in the Olympics.

I remember hearing about it, not really sure how serious it was, but Montecchia couldnt get his contract with Pamesa Valencia terminated.

Guru of Nothing
06-12-2005, 10:49 AM
link (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2005/06/12/the_ones_that_got_away/?page=4)

And, stunningly, no NBA team drafted Nocioni, even with a throwaway second-round pick.

What a moron!

BigDaddyMatty
06-12-2005, 10:51 AM
man, nocioni would have been great backing up Bruce.

picnroll
06-12-2005, 11:10 AM
If Spurs had Bruce and Nocioni baby Ray would have probably called in sick.

JustSpurs
06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
:lol I think he did anyway!

boutons
06-12-2005, 11:14 AM
"the individual who supplied the incorrect information is no longer employed by the Spurs."

co-incidence or cause?

Nocioni had a great rookie year, a hustler, a banger, perfect for a Skiles team.
That Argentinian national team was just amazing.

WalterBenitez
06-12-2005, 12:06 PM

for sure, those two ... will close the rim to babies :lol

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Wait, we could have had Nocioni???

WTF POP!!!!! :flipoff :cuss

manubili
06-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Montecchia!
That would have been awsome too! Just remember that play with Sconochini against U.S at the olimpics, he he...
I'll keep waiting for Scola, and see.
enjoy

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Why don't we just get rid of all the Spurs besides tim, and sign the argentine national team.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Wait, we could have had Nocioni???

WTF POP!!!!! :flipoff :cuss

But they were given incorrect information from a scout as to the date of Nocioni's birth and thus missed the opportunity to draft Nocioni in 2001, when he was draft-eligible. Needless to say, the individual who supplied the incorrect information is no longer employed by the Spurs.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 01:01 PM
^^^^^
Yeah I know, I just felt like blaming pop...:lol

SLOVENIAN 8
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
We are stronger for now :lol we have 2 guys in SA :smokin

T Park
06-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I just felt like blaming pop

showing your level of intelligence as per fuckin usual.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Eh, fuck you meng!

smeagol
06-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Getting Nocioni with a late 2nd round pick would have been awesome. Chapu plays with as much heart as Manu, minus the talent.

TPark, within your +14,000 posts there's quite a number of truly stupid ones, so don't come here judging who is intelligent and who is not.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Damn that blows, we'd be set at the SF for the next 5 years with Nocioni around.

spurschick
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
It would've been cool, but I think it makes things more interesting this way. I'm sure the guys from the national team like playing together, but it's probably fun for them to play against each other once in a while. Delfino is sitting on the other side of the SBC center (looking all kinds of fine, I might add) and, while I'm sure he would've liked his team to have won game 1, he was probably thrilled to see Manu go off in the 4th quarter.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
It would've been cool, but I think it makes things more interesting this way. I'm sure the guys from the national team like playing together, but it's probably fun for them to play against each other once in a while. Delfino is sitting on the other side of the SBC center (looking all kinds of fine, I might add) and, while I'm sure he would've liked his team to have won game 1, he was probably thrilled to see Manu go off in the 4th quarter.
Delfino is as good as done w/ Detroit.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2005, 04:23 PM
:lmao Looks like you've got a soft spot for Argentinians Spurschick! :lmao

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
That's a shame, especially if the Spurs wanted him instead of Bracey at #58. Damn, Spurs could've ended up drafting 3 Argentines at #56 or later in NBA drafts...(Manu at #57 in '99, Scola at #56 in '02 and Nocioni at #56 or 58 in '01).

You win some, you lose a few.

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 10:48 AM
One more name I wanna throw in Walter Hermann, saw that dude play south american final in Brazil and he just schooled the brazilians.

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 10:52 AM
So the Spurs lost out on Nocioni in the '01 Draft, yet ended up with Parker and Javtokas. Sucks, but I'd say that LJ3 kinda fits the role of a young prospect at the 3 that Nocioni would've...

Scola is a lock to join the team next season. As for the future of Javtokas, Sanikidze, and Karaulov much is not known, at least publicly.

My guess is that the Spurs will give Javtokas a chance sometime in the next few seasons. Ditto for Sanikidize. Not sure about Karaulov, but there can't be too much wrong with a 7 footer stashed away somewhere...

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Wrong page with age
Now It Can Be Told Dept.: The Spurs, who already have Manu Ginobili and the rights to Luis Scola, were once hot on the trail of Argentina's Andres Nocioni as well. But they were given incorrect information from a scout as to the date of Nocioni's birth and thus missed the opportunity to draft Nocioni in 2001, when he was draft-eligible. Needless to say, the individual who supplied the incorrect information is no longer employed by the Spurs. And, stunningly, no NBA team drafted Nocioni, even with a throwaway second-round pick. Maybe everyone had the wrong info. He signed with the Bulls last year as a free agent. Popovich said his team also might have interest in Fabricio Oberto, yet another Argentine, who has arranged to make himself available to the highest bidder after playing several years overseas. Oberto, however, is 30.

Also the usual what ifs from Boston scribes.

Interesting, but I do not expect the top three spots in the 4/5 rotation to change from this series to next season. Scola seems destined to be the 2nd big off the bench in his first season. I would not be surprised to see Rasho disposed of in the offseason. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I kind of like the idea of a veteran hardass ala Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, or Tony Massenburg as the 5th big. Then again, if you can dip into the overseas talent pool while NBA GMs continue to dote on American players you might as well.

spurschick
06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I kind of like the idea of a veteran hardass ala Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, or Tony Massenburg as the 5th big.

The return of Cherokee Parks.

manubili
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
One more name I wanna throw in Walter Hermann, saw that dude play south american final in Brazil and he just schooled the brazilians.

Herman has been great in argentine team. He's young, there's time. Besides, he looks like a male model, almost He-man looalike. If spurs cheeks think that Manu is handsome, they should really take a look at this guy.

Enjoy

SPARKY
06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Hermann is another the Spurs should try to snag soon.

nkdlunch
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Herman has been great in argentine team. He's young, there's time. Besides, he looks like a male model, almost He-man looalike. If spurs cheeks think that Manu is handsome, they should really take a look at this guy.

Enjoy

Well if Spurs chicks like the Fabio type: :lol

http://www.outlookindia.com/images/photoessays/walter_hermann_basketball_040830.jpghttp://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/jan05/fabio_011205_big.jpg