PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bachmann’s Gay ‘Cure’

RandomGuy
07-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Wheee. I have little doubt that she shares her husbands beliefs and this is simply indicative of yet another one of her illogical, pseudosceintific beliefs.

A hidden-camera exposé proved that Michele Bachmann’s husband practices a controversial therapy aimed at turning gays straight. Michelle Goldberg on the fallout for 2012.
In 2006, a story about Michele Bachmann in the Minneapolis City Pages delved into husband Marcus’s involvement in the ex-gay movement. The piece quoted Curt Prins, an attendee at a conservative conference where Marcus, a therapist who runs a Christian counseling practice, gave a presentation, “The Truth About the Homosexual Agenda,” arguing that homosexuality is both a choice and a threat. As a finale, he brought up three people, including a prominent ex-gay activist named Janet Boynes, who testified about leaving homosexuality behind. “One of them said, 'If I was born gay, then I'll have to be born again,'" Prins recalled. "The crowd went crazy."

Yet when the City Pages reporter asked Marcus if his clinic performs so-called reparative therapy—a widely discredited technique meant to turn gay people straight—Marcus denied it. And over the years he has kept denying it, despite plenty of evidence that both he and Michele are deeply committed to the idea that homosexuality can be cured.
If there was any doubt that he was lying, it disappeared on Friday, when The Nation broke news of an investigation by Truth Wins Out, a group devoted to combating the ex-gay movement. “Undeniably, 100 percent, the Bachmann clinic practices reparative therapy, which tries to cure gay people of their homosexuality,” says Wayne Besen, Truth Wins Out’s founder.

Responding to queries about Bachmann’s clinic from reporters—myself among them—Besen recently put out a call for former Bachmann patients, and a young man named Andrew Ramirez responded. As Ramirez told The Nation, after he came out in 2004, the summer before his senior year, his evangelical stepfather had dragged him to Bachmann & Associates. There, a therapist told him he should renounce his sexual orientation. “He basically said being gay was not an acceptable lifestyle in God’s eyes,” said Ramirez.

To prove that reparative therapy continues at Bachmann’s clinic to this day, Truth Wins Out sent a 26-year-old staffer, John Becker, to pose as a patient there. Armed with hidden cameras, Becker attended five sessions with therapist Timothy Wiertzema, who assured him that it’s possible to rid himself of same-sex attractions. “I think it’s possible to be totally free of them,” Wiertzema says in a transcript of the sessions provided to The Daily Beast. “[I]t’s happened to a number of people. I don’t know how many, but…that’s for sure.”

Read the rest at:
http://news.yahoo.com/marcus-bachmann-gay-cure-033100212.html

Viva Las Espuelas
07-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Guilt by association. I see.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
You think she's given an indication her beliefs are different, Viva?

Spurminator
07-11-2011, 03:35 PM

When it's your husband, absolutely. It's not like it's a relative. She chose to marry this person.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Just commenting on the charge.

Th'Pusher
07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Isn't he her political adviser?

George Gervin's Afro
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
isn't the right complaining about Obama's (former) preacher.."he sat in the pews for 20 yrs..", "..it's his influences that have formed who he is.."

Halberto
07-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Another politician lying. :wakeup

Viva Las Espuelas
07-11-2011, 05:54 PM
isn't the right complaining about Obama's (former) preacher.."he sat in the pews for 20 yrs..", "..it's his influences that have formed who he is.."

Exactly what I'm getting at. Not that particular point but just in general. A fine game of picking and choosing.

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Wheee. I have little doubt that she shares her husbands beliefs and this is simply indicative of yet another one of her illogical, pseudosceintific beliefs.

In a stunning video, the Tea Party titan says she follows the biblical rule that women should obey their husbands.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/10/michele-bachmann-s-bible-submissiveness-is-it-a-problem.print.html

===

From her own pronouncements about gays, there's no doubt she hates them, considers them an abomination against God, and now she says she submissively believes whatever anti-gay crap her federally subsidized hubby spouts.

RandomGuy
07-12-2011, 08:55 AM

Yup. Especially given the absolute silence by the woman on the issue when asked about it.

Candidates that don't believe in stupid shit like this take pains to distance themselves when confronted with it.

Prove I'm wrong.