PDA

View Full Version : Sued Enough Already: Bachmann went after tax scofflaws for IRS

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Tax Collector or Tax Litigation Attorney? Closer Look at Bachmann's Past

http://cdn-media.nationaljournal.com/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=8917&format=homepage_fullwidth

You’ll never guess what Michele Bachmann, the rabble-rousing, tax-reviling, government-bashing idol of America’s tea party movement, used to do for a living.

Sue tax scofflaws for the Internal Revenue Service.

As she flexes her credentials as a Republican presidential candidate in a field of former governors and corporate executives, Bachmann is more likely to describe herself as a “former federal tax litigation attorney’’—as she did in her first nationally televised debate—than as a three-term member of Congress. But she rarely, if ever, mentions the one and only employer of her legal services: the U.S. Department of Treasury.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/tax-collector-or-tax-litigation-attorney-closer-look-at-bachmann-s-past-20110709

===

ignorant, gullible Tea baggers suckered again by a lying, hypocritical politician.

RandomGuy
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
This just keeping getting better and better. :lol

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
but they'll vote her because she's a weird evangelical "Christian" (is there a normal one?) and vehemently anti-gay and anti-govt (her hubby takes $100Ks from the Feds to "repair" gays).

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
This just keeping getting better and better. :lolIt's all coming out of the woodwork now. Presidential politics is the big show.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 10:53 AM
So what if Bachmann was a tax collector? That's just another thing she'd have in common with St. Paul.

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm not a huge fan of hers but don't really see the issue here...whats wrong with representing the IRS in tax evasion cases?

baseline bum
07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I thought people already knew this.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Perhaps the OP is handing it out as ammo to haters, or imagining the supposed chagrin of Bachmann-ites. Looks like a dud to me.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I thought people already knew this.Yep. It's well known that Michelle Bachmann is a tax attorney who worked for the IRS.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
:sleep

What a non-issue.

baseline bum
07-12-2011, 11:24 AM
It's fitting that she worked for the IRS, since Bachman is a lot like Steve Carrell's character in Dinner for Schmucks.

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Bachmann is a "tea bagger darling", heads the tea bagger caucus in Congress.

tea baggers hate taxes Enough Already, adore St Ronnie's proclamation that "govt IS the problem". some/ most of them say taxes are illegal, unconstitutional.

But Darling Bachmann HELPED the govt collect taxes?

Cheating the govt out of tax revenue, helping people cheat the govt, would make a person a tea bagger heroic figure. Bachmann worked as anti-hero.

I wonder if she went after those 50K wealthy Americans who evade taxes with secret Swiss bank accounts?

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Bachmann worked as anti-hero.In your cartoon mind, exposing the so-called hypocrisy of Bachmann supporters to public ridicule is persuasive.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Imagination is fun!

coyotes_geek
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Cheating the govt out of tax revenue, helping people cheat the govt, would make a person a tea bagger heroic figure. Bachmann worked as anti-hero.

You're right. By this logic, it's obvious that Bachmann is a hero to liberals. What could be more noble than fighting evil tax evaders? I had it all wrong. I thought you posted this story as a knock on bachmann. But you were just showing support for your hero.

boutons for bachmann!

RandomGuy
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not a huge fan of hers but don't really see the issue here...whats wrong with representing the IRS in tax evasion cases?

It is basically akin to someone ranting about the horrors of alchohol, but having worked as a brewer for years, and then glossing over that part.

I find it a bit funny.

Not anything that I care about, other than the irony.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
It is basically akin to someone ranting about the horrors of alchohol, but having worked as a brewer for years, and then glossing over that part.You do know how conversion tales go, don't you? Sin and entanglement with evil powers and princes, are very common themes.

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
It is basically akin to someone ranting about the horrors of alchohol, but having worked as a brewer for years, and then glossing over that part.

I find it a bit funny.

You are painfully uninformed if you think "no taxes" is a tea party platform.

Maybe limited government and limited taxes, but even the most rabid supporters understand that some government and taxes are necessary.

And tax evasion is still illegal and unethical, even when some like tax cheat Geitner are never held accountable.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM

I find it a bit funny.

Being a brewer and supporting responsible alcohol use aren't mutually exclusive ideals.

Neither are the concepts of supporting lower taxes and believing that people should held responsible for paying the taxes that they owe.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 12:59 PM
You are painfully uninformed if you think "no taxes" is a tea party platform. What is the tea party platform?

Maybe limited government and limited taxes, but even the most rabid supporters understand that some government and taxes are necessary.With respect Sir, that is highly agreeable to reason, but the most rabid supporters do not seem to think so, and come in for some casual abuse.

(Everyone who insists tax=theft for example.)

And tax evasion is still illegal and unethical, even when some like tax cheat Geitner are never held accountable.The IRS seemed to think it was an innocent error. It waived penalties and settled the matter quickly, just in time for his confirmation in fact. Geithner was allowed a do over. O well, some people are just special-er than others.

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
What is the tea party platform?

Although there is no "official" platform that I have heard or read it is certainly not "no taxes at all" as claimed by RG.

With respect Sir, that is highly agreeable to reason, but the most rabid supporters do not seem to think so, and come in for some casual abuse. (Everyone who insists tax=theft for example.)

There are nuts everywhere. Consider those guys to be the yin/yang of Boutons and don't take them seriously either.

The IRS seemed to conclude it was an innocent error. It waived penalties and concluded the matter expeditiously, just in time for his confirmation in fact. Geithner was allowed a do over. O well, some people are just special-er than others.

OK, innocent error. He just "forgot" to report 6 figure income because he didn't think they would CC the IRS? OK, sure..

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Geithner paid his taxes on it. What's the big deal?

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 02:12 PM

You are right, tax evasion is no big deal.

baseline bum
07-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Being a brewer and supporting responsible alcohol use aren't mutually exclusive ideals.

I don't think that's the comparison he was trying to make. It sounded more like he was talking about the prohibition-era sentiment that it was pure evil, sort of like the modern idea many share on marijuana.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
You are right, tax evasion is no big deal.What evasion? The taxes got paid once the Obama people discovered Geithner's mistake.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Although there is no "official" platform that I have heard or read......then you will surely agree it's a bit of a stretch to call someone else "painfully uniformed" about it.

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM

For a professional financial wizard, now running the US Treasury, to make a $35K tax mistake in his favor is not acceptable.

And not to pay penalty and interest like any Average Joe making the same mistake in unacceptable.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
For a professional financial wizard, now running the US Treasury, to make a $35K tax mistake in his favor is not acceptable.So one would think, but that appears not to be the case. The Senate knew of Geithner's tax troubles and confirmed him anyway.

And not to pay penalty and interest like any Average Joe making the same mistake in unacceptable.To whom? US Senators? Geithner not paying penalties and interest like any average Joe, seemed not to be any serious hindrance to his confirmation.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Someone hide that shiny object, quick! :lol

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
unaccepatble to us Average Joe Human-Americans

Geithner obviously is part of the elite plutocracy, where the laws do not apply.

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
...then you will surely agree it's a bit of a stretch to call someone else "painfully uniformed" about it.

Not really. He had absolutely no basis to claim that the Tea Party generally and Michelle Bachman specifically did not believe in taxes. It was a totally bogus charge.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
That is correct. Rules do not apply to the elite.

Winehole23
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Not really. He had absolutely no basis to claim that the Tea Party generally and Michelle Bachman specifically did not believe in taxes. It was a totally bogus charge.Where does RG make these claims?

CosmicCowboy
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Oops, apologies to RG, it was actually Boutons expanding on RG's original post.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd just like to take an irony timeout to reflect on how the conversation has shifted to how evil Tim Geitner is for not paying his taxes (until caught), inside a thread created to make fun of Michelle Bachmann for once having been employed to go after guys like him.

boutons_deux
07-12-2011, 04:15 PM
The Tea bagger party's very name is ANTI-TAX.

(They completely misconstrue, in their studoed ignorance of American history, of what the Boston Tea Party was about.)

They haven't said what level ENOUGH is, or too much is, or what they would accept as low enough.

A lot them and other right wingers want ZERO taxes on corps and capital, which leaves Human-Americans carrying the entire tax burden.

Now why would that be? Because the tea bagger leaders are nothing but hired professional political operators, hit men, dirty tricksters financed by Kock Bros and other corps capitalists.

RandomGuy
07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Oops, apologies to RG, it was actually Boutons expanding on RG's original post.

S'all good. One has to expect a stray shot every now and then.

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I'd just like to take an irony timeout to reflect on how the conversation has shifted to how evil Tim Geitner is for not paying his taxes (until caught), inside a thread created to make fun of Michelle Bachmann for once having been employed to go after guys like him.

Delicious sauce is delicious.