PDA

View Full Version : I think it might be time to cancel our netflix accounts..

Sense
07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/07/netflix-introduces-new-plans-and.html

New plans... and they really don't make sense.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Just more a la carte-ing, micromanaging, what have you.

IronMaxipad
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
So unlimited streaming will still be 7.99?

Fine by me. I don't care about dvd's, i only use netflix for streaming.

Sense
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Yeah I guess you could say that... I was paying for 1 dvd at a time as well... since I know streaming couldn't get me the full fix... but I am going to cancel mostly because of this bs. They're trying to make "deals" "give us options" wtf is this crap? I've been a member since 08... and now I have to pay 16 instead of 10 :lol not doing that.

I'll just stick with icefilms and torrents... fuck that

cheguevara
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I am currently paying $25 for 3 and unlimited.

Under the new plan I will be paying $27.

I'm cool with this. I blame the Studios mostly.

cheguevara
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
and IMO blu rays are still a must. Streaming service still has shitty movies mostly and quality is not bluray.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
So I drop the BRs and augment the streaming with RedBox or Vudu.

Big deal.

cheguevara
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
does redbox deliver? if not. that's not an option.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I do find it annoying, but considering we've had the same DVDs for over 6 months just getting the pure streaming service won't be a change.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
does redbox deliver? if not. that's not an option.

WTF do you never leave the house? Of course its an option.

07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
The only thing annoying is that their catalogs aren't the same. You have to choose speedy, lite catalog or slower, fuller catalog.

07-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh, and I've been a member since '04. Once streaming came along from NF and other various outlets, I rarely wait to watch the BRs that come in the mail and when they do come, they sit for quite some time.

The game has changed.

Sense
07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
The only thing annoying is that their catalogs aren't the same. You have to choose speed or volume.

Exactly... If I have to choose, they need to have better options on streaming..

cheguevara
07-12-2011, 03:26 PM

to you might be. not to me.

Xevious
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
If they had a larger catalog on streaming, it wouldn't be a big deal.

But this is just the beginning I'm afraid. Their prices will increase eventually.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
to you might be. not to me.

Fair enough.

lefty
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Have you ever seen a good-looking person in Netflix commercials?

mrsmaalox
07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Well everyone's comments (here and the blog) point to the need for an expanded streaming collection; sure would be awesome if Netflix would address it. Not holding my breath over it though :greedy

I. Hustle
07-12-2011, 03:58 PM

If you weighed over 600 pounds and had a front butt you wouldn't leave the house either. Don't hate on my boy Che, he has a thyroid problem.
Don't sweat it Che I will bring over Galbi and put my bulgogi in your mouth. All will be well

Creepn
07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I do find it annoying, but considering we've had the same DVDs for over 6 months just getting the pure streaming service won't be a change.

lol did you lose the envelope?

Soul_Patch
07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
I have gotten netflix two seperate times, just canceled it again today. Their selection streaming and DVD sucks.

I guess i have seen some oddball stuff with netflix, stuff that i ended up liking, that i wouldnt have bothered renting otherwise...but thats just it, thats about all they have. I never seem to be able to find what i want to watch.

leemajors
07-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Uhh, their selection sucks? I rarely cannot find something to watch. It sucks that they are splitting up the plans, but I guess I too will supplement with Redbox if need be. I just use the DVD service for ripping with Handbrake.

Creepn
07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Well everyone's comments (here and the blog) point to the need for an expanded streaming collection; sure would be awesome if Netflix would address it. Not holding my breath over it though :greedy

Once they do that, what's going to happen? They are going to jack up that price too.

I'm just going to cancel the DVD service and just get streaming for now.

Edit: The plan goes into effect on September 1st. So No need to cancel right now.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2011, 04:53 PM
So there's no grandfathering here?

manufan10
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with what others have said.. if they do this, then they need to expand the streaming. More of the "newer" movies, and some better movies. I've watched a lot of 3 star movies lately. :lol

Sense
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Once they do that, what's going to happen? They are going to jack up that price too.

I'm just going to cancel the DVD service and just get streaming for now.

Edit: The plan goes into effect on September 1st. So No need to cancel right now.

Yeah that's for members as of now... but the plans are already there for new members.

DMC
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM
shit-canned mine over a year ago. Nothing there but old b rated shit.

Soul_Patch
07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Uhh, their selection sucks? I rarely cannot find something to watch. It sucks that they are splitting up the plans, but I guess I too will supplement with Redbox if need be. I just use the DVD service for ripping with Handbrake.

Really? Like what? I mean sure, there are weird shit on there that i normally wouldn't see that i end up liking, but when i go to look for a new release, or a main stream movie, a lot of the times it isnt on there... definitely not on the streaming version, which is what i had the last few months.

I do have to credit netflix for showing me "The Wild and Wonderful Whites"

And that Travel show where the dude go's to places no one would ever go, like North Korea. Forget the name now, but it was pretty good.

Thats the thing though, thats about all the streaming version ever had.

Wild Cobra
07-12-2011, 08:12 PM

I've been tempted to add the $2 monthly for DVD's but it was never important. i buy the DVD's I want. I'm good with the streaming. Though shoddy compared to my normal 21 mbs connection, I had adequate picture quality in my hotel room at only 1 mbs on my old laptop. Hell, they could raise my streaming price a couple dollars, and I would keep it.

I think the streaming when it's in HD is better than I get from Comcast through their box!

Spurtacus
07-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm still happy with my unlimited streaming at $7.99. Lots of TV shows and some solid foreign flicks.

Now if they were to raise the price of streaming to over $10 a month...then I'd probably cancel.

Wild Cobra
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
and IMO blu rays are still a must. Streaming service still has shitty movies mostly and quality is not bluray.
Must be your connection. I have a really sweet picture when that HD symbol pops up in the buffer load.

1) Do two things. Run a speed test on your modem.

2) In a command prompt, type "ping www.netflix.com" without the quotes.

I seldom get less that 21 mbs. My average ping round trip time was 36 ms. Sure, not the best, but it works well.

Spurminator
07-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I'll stick with streaming only even though I was about to upgrade to $2 more for DVDs. (A lot of the shows I'd like to watch are only available on DVD for whatever reason.)

As long as their streaming selection stays pretty good, I'll stick with it, but I hope they don't pare down their streaming selection more in an attempt to get people to pay for both.

Wild Cobra
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
As long as their streaming selection stays pretty good, I'll stick with it, but I hope they don't pare down their streaming selection more in an attempt to get people to pay for both.
If they do that, I will contact them and let them know why I will be cancelling.

leemajors
07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Really? Like what? I mean sure, there are weird shit on there that i normally wouldn't see that i end up liking, but when i go to look for a new release, or a main stream movie, a lot of the times it isnt on there... definitely not on the streaming version, which is what i had the last few months.

I do have to credit netflix for showing me "The Wild and Wonderful Whites"

And that Travel show where the dude go's to places no one would ever go, like North Korea. Forget the name now, but it was pretty good.

Thats the thing though, thats about all the streaming version ever had.

Lots of great TV (BBC and US, old and new), tons of comedy. I don't usually watch any new releases on Netflix. Plus they throw up episodes of all my daughter's favorite Disney shows within a week, saving me a lot of DVR space.

Frenzy
07-12-2011, 08:52 PM
shit-canned mine over a year ago. Nothing there but old b rated shit.

Is that the last time you checked it out? I had netflix stream only a little over a year ago and canceled over the lack of selection and crappy rated movies. I just got another free trial and imo it has gotten way better over the past year.

DPG21920
07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
If you are looking for new released, netflix streaming isn't for you tbh.

Bill_Brasky
07-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Any time I think of an old movie I wanna watch again it's never on streaming, and fuck waiting 3 days in the mail, I won't wanna watch it by then. But I did use it to catch up on Breaking Bad, and watched a few good TV series on streaming.

Fuck it though, I get free on demand from my cable company and they have fucking EVERYTHING in their selection, so I went ahead and said fuck Netflix.

DMC
07-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Is that the last time you checked it out? I had netflix stream only a little over a year ago and canceled over the lack of selection and crappy rated movies. I just got another free trial and imo it has gotten way better over the past year.

I was disappointed, obviously didn't read the fine print, because I got it so I could watch it while traveling abroad. Cannot access it outside the US. The shows in some countries are fucking pathetic, people talking in one language, dubbed in another and translated in text in yet another. I didn't understand any of it but I could tell it wasn't funny.

I looked for decent older movies I have missed, only found bullshit and more bullshit. I haven't felt the desire to go back.

DMC
07-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Any time I think of an old movie I wanna watch again it's never on streaming, and fuck waiting 3 days in the mail, I won't wanna watch it by then. But I did use it to catch up on Breaking Bad, and watched a few good TV series on streaming.

Fuck it though, I get free on demand from my cable company and they have fucking EVERYTHING in their selection, so I went ahead and said fuck Netflix.

This is pretty much what I do. I wait for the season to end and watch the whole season in just a few days. I lose interest in the show after a couple of days otherwise. I watched the Sopranos in it's entirety, all seasons, in about 2 weeks. I was dreaming the shit. Did the same with Squidbillies. I love that show.

Darius McCrary
07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
this sucks. netflix might have just jumped the shark

Insomniac
07-13-2011, 05:36 AM
I've got tons of movies on my streaming list that would take weeks to watch them all.

jimo2305
07-13-2011, 05:56 AM
it's still the cheapest solution for what it offers.. u can't have your cake and eat it too..

MannyIsGod
07-13-2011, 07:27 AM
There's no way Netflix "jumped the shark". The content they have on there is far more than any other streaming service and its still really cheap. Price increases were/are coming but they've still got amazing access to streaming TV seasons and they always manage to get some good movies on there.

I suspect many of the people who aren't getting a lot out of it aren't familliar with sites such as instantwatcher.com that give you nice info on what is available on there.

hehateme
07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be more price influx coming soon due to increased competition. Not sure if this article is 100% correct on what studios will be asking for in the future in terms of cost of content...

good article: http://thesmallbusinessmarketingblog.com/netflix-survival-problems-drops-sony/577/

SpursStalker
07-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I think it's a great idea ...

I don't streamline videos so my plan dropped to 15 bucks

:)

DarkReign
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Got Netflix a short time ago and so far I am unimpressed. Im not a movie buff so I am nto really into watching obscure indie movies or foreign TV shows.

I wanted to watch War of the Worlds and I could only get in on DVD. But yet I could stream Kick-Ass? Didnt/doesnt make sense judging by release date. Oh, and the stream is pretty shitty quality, too.

Probably going to cancel the next time I want to watch a movie and it isnt available via stream.

caribbean_spur
07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I mainly use it for streaming tv shows, but I noticed recently that some shows were expiring for the streaming option (Dexter is an example).

So I am puzzled since they have said at Netflix that streaming was the future. If they start canceling streaming shows like that, I will end up cancelling.

gospursgojas
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Netflix' selection of watch instantly sucks hardcore. If you wanna watch daytime TNT/USA movies from the early 2000's i.e Reindeer games, The Animal, Exit Wounds, then go right on ahead and pay 7.99 a month.

I gave netflix about a year to bring the goods and they never did; canceled in April. I guess its cool that they have B and indie movies for the movie buffs but watching shitty movies just to say I watched a movie no one else has seen isnt worth it.

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Got Netflix a short time ago and so far I am unimpressed. Im not a movie buff so I am nto really into watching obscure indie movies or foreign TV shows.

I wanted to watch War of the Worlds and I could only get in on DVD. But yet I could stream Kick-Ass? Didnt/doesnt make sense judging by release date. Oh, and the stream is pretty shitty quality, too.

Probably going to cancel the next time I want to watch a movie and it isnt available via stream.

Netflix has deals with Starz and what not, and anything that is showing on Starz at any particular time of the year will show up on streaming also, hence Kick Ass being on there and not War of the Worlds.

I mainly use it for streaming tv shows, but I noticed recently that some shows were expiring for the streaming option (Dexter is an example).

So I am puzzled since they have said at Netflix that streaming was the future. If they start canceling streaming shows like that, I will end up cancelling.

That actually has to do with Showtime and Netflix having a problem with their licensing agreement. I thought that got settled, but I guess not. The only show on Showtime that will still be up is Weeds, but that's because the show itself is not owned by Showtime, just aired on the network.

I'm contemplating what to do with the DVD service too. I like having the streaming portion as I do watch quite a bit of the shows and movies with my kids. But I like being able to get older DVDs that I like but really have no interest in buying. Redbox can't help with that unfortunately, and Hulu or YouTube just doesn't have the movie selection to rival Netflix. I could go around looking for streaming version online, but that can be a pain in the ass because most sites are unreliable, and the good ones end up getting shut down because they gain notoriety for being good.

I. Hustle
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I was disappointed, obviously didn't read the fine print, because I got it so I could watch it while traveling abroad. Cannot access it outside the US. The shows in some countries are fucking pathetic, people talking in one language, dubbed in another and translated in text in yet another. I didn't understand any of it but I could tell it wasn't funny.

I've traveled a broad or two m'self

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
i only have it for the tv shows, i haven't rented a DVD since i got the internet

Wild Cobra
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Yep, who owns the rights has a say in the decision making.

There are several shows I would like to see that aren't available anywhere. China Beach for example.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I think people are going into it with the wrong expectations. You're not going to see an "on demand" set up for quite some time. Think about it - Netflix is unlimited streaming at twice the price of one on demand movie. You're not going to get new content of that nature for such a low price.

However, if you're like me who thinks that 8 dollars for a pretty large volume of content that you can always find something in is good, then you'll like it. I've watched the full series of quite a few TV shows on there and I've caught a few shows I would never have watched otherwise. There are definitely times when I don't have anything on there I want to watch but then there are other times (like now with the Star Trek series) that I almost always have netflix running.

dirk4mvp
07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
tbh netflix streaming always has a show I find 5 seasons of to get caught up in watching. I hope those scros put up the last season of Friday Night Lights, imo.

Tinystarz
07-14-2011, 01:20 PM
people bitch over everything. over 8$? :lol

BlackSwordsMan
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
mm I love rich girls

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
tbh netflix streaming always has a show I find 5 seasons of to get caught up in watching. I hope those scros put up the last season of Friday Night Lights, imo.

i want more USA shows they got that shitty In plain sight but no burn notice or white collar.

IronMaxipad
07-14-2011, 01:59 PM
i want more USA shows they got that shitty In plain sight but no burn notice or white collar.

Psych is pretty good. but i agree i want me some Burn Notice

BlackSwordsMan
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
shit thanks for reminding me today is a new episode keep forgetting

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Check out suits too, its a pretty decent show

MannyIsGod
07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I want to watch burn notice so hopefully they put that up soon. But seriously, I got Star Trek for months. :lol

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Hey dude is coming out on dvd this shit needs to get added

admiralsnackbar
07-15-2011, 04:44 AM

I looked for decent older movies I have missed, only found bullshit and more bullshit. I haven't felt the desire to go back.

If you have a private home computer in addition to your laptop, you can get around this using a remote desktop application.

Yep, who owns the rights has a say in the decision making.

Agreed, but this will be an interesting issue to watch develop. A company named Zediva (http://www.zediva.com/) is testing the legality of streaming video to users directly from DVDs using the same business model as old-school physical movie rental places. Their argument is that there is no difference between buying a DVD, then renting it to someone, than there is in buying a DVD and renting it to someone else as streaming access to that discrete, physical DVD. In my opinion, it would take a real feat of "lawyerin" to convincingly argue otherwise, so, like I said: should be interesting to watch and see if video playback businesses can get past rights management issues by using physical discs.

Now, granted, the logistics of access and hardware costs to serve a Netflix-like service would need to be worked out (the feasibility of the idea is currently limited to more of a "new releases" Redbox model), but a solution to these issues would cut-out the postal overhead, internet licensing costs, and allow a company that has spent so much on physical DVDs already to add value to assets that have -- in most cases -- already been fully depreciated (in tax terms), anyway.

Soul_Patch
07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I see, most of you guys like it for being able to watch TV. Thats cool. I rarely watch tv live, much less recycled, so i guess that is why i don't realize the benefit of it.

Cant even recall the last TV series i watched, i was probably still in highschool, if not even before that. Just never found interest in TV shows.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes - by far the most useful aspect is watching full TV seasons. They have a fair selection of movies but I rarely wait for a movie to get on there if I want to see it. For instance right now they have Iron Man 2, The Fighter, and Toy Story 3 streaming. Those are 3 pretty big movies from the past year but almost everyone who wanted to see those has done so.

JoeChalupa
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes - by far the most useful aspect is watching full TV seasons. They have a fair selection of movies but I rarely wait for a movie to get on there if I want to see it. For instance right now they have Iron Man 2, The Fighter, and Toy Story 3 streaming. Those are 3 pretty big movies from the past year but almost everyone who wanted to see those has done so.

I just watched TS 3 and it was worth the wait. For me waiting to watch a "must see" movie doesn't bother me and Netflix is how I watch most TV Series as I can watch them at my convenience. Just this year I watched Dexter and there are plenty of other TV series that I want to watch so I've more than enough choices to complain about.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah I just think people expect too much from the streaming for 8 bucks a month. If you were paying 40 bucks a month then I could see wanting something more like OnDemand but its not quite there YET. If the studios would get off their asses and make the content available I might be more sympathetic when they complain about piracy (even though movies are making more money than ever at the theaters - go figure).

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Also - Netflix is pretty much up against everyone right now. ISPs hate it because its the single largest use of bandwidth in the country, content providers hate it because they don't want to do subscription based models they want you to buy their content outright and they want you to buy it several times. They've got some big challenges up ahead.

leemajors
07-15-2011, 02:12 PM
tbh we're all up against ISPs!

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
True.