PDA

View Full Version : The Rape of Nanking - Unit 731

Nick Manning
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Most of you probably have at least some idea about the Rape of Nanking (1937) and the Japanese war atrocities committed against the Chinese. Admittedly, I wasn't real familiar with Shiro Ishii and Unit 731. Unit 731 was basically a chemical and biological weapons research facility which experimented on living human beings (mostly POWs). The head of this operation--Ishii--puts Josef Mengele to shame.

Just a slew of diabolical experiments and procedures that seem like they're out of a horror movie. The video below is crap, but it sheds some background on it. There's some NSFW images, but they aren't directly related to Unit 731.

bAp8bSdE5MQ

There's also a movie out about it called Philosophy of a Knife (available for stream), but it's too fucking schizo to sit through. Pretty graphic though.

The Japs were some crazy bastards.

DMC
07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
The Chinese were just too passive.

DJ Mbenga
07-13-2011, 12:33 AM
the stuff was so bad the lady that wrote to book about it committed suicide while working on the 2nd. or maybe she was messed up in the head

DMC
07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
the stuff was so bad the lady that wrote to book about it committed suicide while working on the 2nd. or maybe she was messed up in the head
Maybe the book sucked that bad.

Cane
07-13-2011, 10:18 AM
RIP and the Japaense try to gloss over this period of their history as well. Just google "Japanese textbook controversy" :depressed Eff you dolphins.

RandomGuy
07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, it is very hard to read/look at. I actually meet the author Iris Chang at a book signing in Austin, and got a signed copy of her book, Rape of Nanking.

The right-wingers in that country pretend like it didn't happen and don't want it taught in their history books.

Consequently, most modern Japanese have little to no idea about what their country did in WW2, and when it is pointed out to them are horrified.

Japan never really owed up to its actions in WW2 like the Germans did.

There are still areas of China where people still die today from the biological weapons used by the Japs in that war, by the way, and all of this still colors relations between the two countries.

I can't say as I blame the Chinese for their dislike.

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I can't say as I blame the Chinese for their dislike.

they brought it upon themselves, not the population...im talkin about the govt, fck them

DMC
07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
What about that time God flooded the Earth and killed everyone except that one white family? (I know they were white, I've seen the pics)

tlongII
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Japan never really owned up to their WWII atrocities, but they did get a couple of their cities crispy-fried.

Bill_Brasky
07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Japan definitely deserved the a-bombs, no question about it.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Man.....now I gotta go play with kittens and find some cotton candy.

DeadlyDynasty
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Japan never really owned up to their WWII atrocities, but they did get a couple of their cities crispy-fried.

I'm sure the U.S. is in no rush to make them cop to their war crimes either, since they allowed Ishii and his asscociates to go scot-free in exchange for the research he did in Unit 731. The research ended up being useless. C'est la vie

RandomGuy
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Japan definitely deserved the a-bombs, no question about it.

I do bring up Unit 731 to anybody who goes on some bleeding-heart rant about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Things are never quite as cut and dried, black and white as some people like to think.

ididnotnothat
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I do bring up Unit 731 to anybody who goes on some bleeding-heart rant about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Things are never quite as cut and dried, black and white as some people like to think.

Even the USA has some skeletons in the closet.

boutons_deux
07-14-2011, 10:44 AM
It's not torture if Alberto Gonzalez and John Yoo say it's not torture.

Axe Murderer
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
this makes me crofl everytime i watch it

lol japan

4XIMc5BdGdU

boutons_deux
07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
So nuclear terrorism on 100s of 1000s of non-Christian, non-white Jap civilians keeps America from being better than the Japs?

And who appointed USA executioner of Japanese CIVILIANS for Jap MILITARY crimes against Chinese?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Boutons, regulatin'.

cantthinkofanything
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
So nuclear terrorism on 100s of 1000s of non-Christian, non-white Jap civilians keeps America from being better than the Japs?

Yes

And who appointed USA executioner of Japanese CIVILIANS for Jap MILITARY crimes against Chinese?

God

hater
07-14-2011, 12:19 PM
check out Men Behind The Sun. It shows video of tortures. One sick one is they make a chinese lady stand out in the freezing cold with bare hands for hours. Her hands are completely frozen, then they bring her in. Give her a glass of hot tea and then dip her hands in boiling water. Camera zooms in to the lady's face as she widens her eyes looking at her hands.

Talk about bare bones.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093170/

hater
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
but no worries. Ipman kicked those jap soldiers asses then he went on to train Bruce Lee.

DarkReign
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Watched the vid. While I do not doubt the validity of the claims, I cannot get ove rhow poorly done the documentary is. There are high school funded docs done with more professionalism and integrity.

I mean, did it really need all those movie screams every couple of minutes?

The atrocity of the events did not need any further dramatic effect, they truly speak for themselves.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, DR. After a while I just listened to it because the images were a bit over the top. The ones that had no relevance to the story at all.

DarkReign
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Sooo, the first Suggested Video for this video was one called Rape Club - Japan. Watched that one too. Again, another terrible (and short) documentary, but also goes to the heart of women's role in Japanese culture.

Basically, some group of blue-bloods at Japan's most prestigious school (think Harvard, Yale, Princeton) got together and thought it would be cool to rape women for fun. They'd throw a cool party (by Japanese standards, anyway....whatever), invite chicks to some VIP after-party, target one poor sole for some good ol' fashion gang raping in the bathroom that would last hours. Again, these guys are all blue-bloods, monied up, so they'd intimidate the victims into not going to the authorities with basic threats of violence.

But the one thing that stuck out to me that seems unique to Asia, the Middle East and Africa is the threat of shame. They'd take pictures and threaten to release them to the public, as if this is some kind of actual deterrent, and apparently, it is for Japanese women. Strange to me.

Anyway, the documentary sucked because they would do interviews with Japanese speaking people and not dub over a translation. Which is beyond fucking stupid, but again, whatever.

The most curious discovery was the plethora of manga dedicated to sexual assault. Particularly, a "superhero" named (wait for it....) Rapeman. Yes, your local sexual predator may not be a twisted psychotic worthy only of pain and death, he's probably just a school teacher by day that pays attention to all the young women who break a young man's heart and decides to teach them a lesson by breaking into their house and raping them.

Of course, the women love this and more often than not, fall in love with their new hero, Rapeman.

It then looked like they interviewed a person related to the Rapeman manga (probably creator), but again, the stupid documentary doesnt translate their interviews.

Go Japan!

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
They'd rape a shoe?!

RandomGuy
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM

As pained as I am to admit to that being a valid point, it is a valid ethical/moral observation.

The civilians involved did not have a hand in committing the kinds of things that the military committed.

That said, in a bare-knuckled, all-out war, civilian populations are a method of supporting that military, and they become inextricably linked.

The invasion of Okinawa, and the attendant mass civilian casualties showed that such fighting do not always spare civilians even by their own military.

As I said before, the ethical calculus of such things is never quite so neat.

If you have to shoot one innocent civilian to save the lives of 500, do you do that?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cane
07-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Sooo, the first Suggested Video for this video was one called Rape Club - Japan. Watched that one too. Again, another terrible (and short) documentary, but also goes to the heart of women's role in Japanese culture.

Basically, some group of blue-bloods at Japan's most prestigious school (think Harvard, Yale, Princeton) got together and thought it would be cool to rape women for fun. They'd throw a cool party (by Japanese standards, anyway....whatever), invite chicks to some VIP after-party, target one poor sole for some good ol' fashion gang raping in the bathroom that would last hours. Again, these guys are all blue-bloods, monied up, so they'd intimidate the victims into not going to the authorities with basic threats of violence.

But the one thing that stuck out to me that seems unique to Asia, the Middle East and Africa is the threat of shame. They'd take pictures and threaten to release them to the public, as if this is some kind of actual deterrent, and apparently, it is for Japanese women. Strange to me.

Anyway, the documentary sucked because they would do interviews with Japanese speaking people and not dub over a translation. Which is beyond fucking stupid, but again, whatever.

The most curious discovery was the plethora of manga dedicated to sexual assault. Particularly, a "superhero" named (wait for it....) Rapeman. Yes, your local sexual predator may not be a twisted psychotic worthy only of pain and death, he's probably just a school teacher by day that pays attention to all the young women who break a young man's heart and decides to teach them a lesson by breaking into their house and raping them.

Of course, the women love this and more often than not, fall in love with their new hero, Rapeman.

It then looked like they interviewed a person related to the Rapeman manga (probably creator), but again, the stupid documentary doesnt translate their interviews.

Go Japan!

Yea Japanese culture is....interesting. A lot of it probably stems from their history of basically always dominating the region and never really losing; until WW2 anyway. The land of samurais, bushido and bonzai! Eff you dolphin! :downspin:

As pained as I am to admit to that being a valid point, it is a valid ethical/moral observation.

The civilians involved did not have a hand in committing the kinds of things that the military committed.

That said, in a bare-knuckled, all-out war, civilian populations are a method of supporting that military, and they become inextricably linked.

The invasion of Okinawa, and the attendant mass civilian casualties showed that such fighting do not always spare civilians even by their own military.

As I said before, the ethical calculus of such things is never quite so neat.

If you have to shoot one innocent civilian to save the lives of 500, do you do that?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Not to mention that Japan was the aggressor nation. But the allies did do despicable shit of their own in the world wars like firebombing cities and nuking them.

But like you mentioned the Imperial Japanese were also the toughest in the war. They seemed too willing to suffer casualties and death even their civilians that would throw themselves and their kids off a cliff rather than get captured.

It took the Soviets advancing in the North, firebombing campaigns, and not one but two god damn a-bombs for the Japanese to surrender. Thats just craziness.

Bill_Brasky
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Yes. Jap military were committing atrocities towards civilians, so we gave them a taste of their own medicine.

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2011, 05:14 PM
or the syphilis experiment in guatemala?

Yeah, that's an interesting one as well. Just a couple of others to add to the history books (plenty I'm omitting):

-The Japanese internment camps during WWII in USA.

-Arming the mujahideen against the Red Army.

-Reagan ignoring the AIDS crisis.

World History:

-Columbus's mass slaughter of the Arawaks and other tribes.

-Ditto for the Spanish and other European settlers.

-Armenian massacre by the Turks in WWI.

-Katyn massacre in WWII.

-Soviet Government propagated famines in 1921-22 and the early 30's in Ukraine and Kazakhstan territories. Killing off 20 million + civilians

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Reagan ignoring the AIDS crisis?

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Reagan ignoring the AIDS crisis?

Excuse me, the Reagan Administration.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok, let me try again.

ahem...

mi mi mi mi miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...........

Reagan Administration ignoring the AIDS crisis?

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Ok, let me try again.

ahem...

mi mi mi mi miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...........

Reagan Administration ignoring the AIDS crisis?

Yes, allow me to update you on other events that have transpired since then:

-Terrorists attacked the U.S. on September 11th, 2001

-The Red Sox have won a World Series (2 actually)

-There's a black President in the White House

-The internets

Welcome back.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
he's half black, flapjack. :lol

welcome back.

boutons_deux
07-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Yes. Jap military were committing atrocities towards civilians, so we gave them a taste of their own medicine.

USA, the World's Most Hated Policeman, didn't have dog in the Jap-China fight.

Cane
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Because the Koreans got to it first? But the USA did stop sending over oil and precious resources to Japan and sent strongly worded letters telling them to stop. Japan then tried to land a cheap shot and it all blew up in their face, eventually anyway.

DMC
07-14-2011, 08:22 PM

If we did it would have gotten eaten.

DarkReign
07-14-2011, 10:56 PM
They'd rape a shoe?!

I didnt know what you meant until I re-read my post.

lol sole

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2011, 12:03 AM
:lol

cheguevara
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM

what fight? you mean the fight Japanese soldiers would give chinese civilians everyday? Teaching and forcing them to do hara kiri? throwing chinese babies up in the air and catching them with their bayonets? that fight?

there was option A - use the bombs and option B force japanese to surrender by war. That would have involved the Russians invading Japan. You know what would have happened if the Russians invaded the islands of Japan? they would have killed everyone in sight.

The Russians killed 350,000 japanese mostly non military in that conflict.

yes, my comrades the Russians and Father Stalin were brutal maybe more than the japs. they would have made an atomic bomb look like a firecracker.

pawe
07-15-2011, 10:54 AM

what fight? you mean the fight Japanese soldiers would give chinese civilians everyday? Teaching and forcing them to do hara kiri? throwing chinese babies up in the air and catching them with their bayonets? that fight?

there was option A - use the bombs and option B force japanese to surrender by war. That would have involved the Russians invading Japan. You know what would have happened if the Russians invaded the islands of Japan? they would have killed everyone in sight.

The Russians killed 350,000 japanese mostly non military in that conflict.

yes, my comrades the Russians and Father Stalin were brutal maybe more than the japs. they would have made an atomic bomb look like a firecracker.

If the Russians invaded Japan, they would've raped everyone in sight.
Then the current Japanese generation we have right now could've been the toughest motherfuckers that will ever live.

Cane
07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Japanese wouldn't let themselves get raped, they'd rather kill themselves and their kids before the Ruskies get close to them. Tbh I'd probably do the same if I had the guts :(

cheguevara
07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
If the Russians invaded Japan, they would've raped everyone in sight.
Then the current Japanese generation we have right now could've been the toughest motherfuckers that will ever live.

http://halcyonrealms.com/blogpics/sbg08.jpg

cheguevara
07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Japanese wouldn't let themselves get raped, they'd rather kill themselves and their kids before the Ruskies get close to them. Tbh I'd probably do the same if I had the guts :(

R u serious?

japanese women get raped by japanese men daily. Why would they deny a tall white blonde russian?

Cane
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
R u serious?

japanese women get raped by japanese men daily. Why would they deny a tall white blonde russian?

True. But in the case of a tall white Ruskie, those Japanese men would later kill and shame those women to death. Unless they were dead too.

But in seriousness yes Japanese civilians throughout the war killed themselves and eachother before possibly getting captured. :depressed

pawe
07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
http://halcyonrealms.com/blogpics/sbg08.jpg

The most beautiful combination is asian and caucasian. :tu

Wait a sec, Russians are white and half their country is in Asia then why aren't they beautiful? Fucking logic is failing me today.