PDA

View Full Version : Children under 6 barred from Monroeville restaurant

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I can't decide if the sign was done in bad taste or not............
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/20110711mcdainrestaurant_500.jpg
:lol

Leave your toddlers at home the next time you head to McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center in Monroeville.
"Beginning July 16, 2011 McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under 6 years of age," wrote the restaurant in an email to patrons. "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times they have disturbed other customers."
McDain's atmosphere is intentionally adult, said owner Mike Vuick. The restaurant, which includes a bar, is connected to a driving range and has never offered a children's menu.
"This is not a kid-oriented place," Mr. Vuick said. "There are many child-friendly restaurants that are a lot cheaper to go to."
Although few customers were at the restaurant mid-Monday afternoon, local blogs were buzzing about the policy, and opinions were divided.
"Part of me thinks this is probably a good idea," said Rob "tha Professor" J. on the Pittsburgh page of Yelp, a business ratings website. "I think we live in the age of bad parenting, and a lot of parents simply cannot keep their kids under control."
Another poster, "Amy C," countered, "The people with the kids running and screaming at restaurants are the same ones who would answer a loudly ringing cell phone at the table and proceed to chat. It should be a rude-people rule not a kids-under-6 rule."
While it's unclear how the ban on babies and young children will affect Mr. Vuick's business, the measure does not violate anti-discrimination legislation, said Vic Walczak, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania.
Despite noise complaints, bans on young children are rather uncommon, even in Pittsburgh's poshest restaurants.
"We do everything from newborns to 99-year-olds," said Janet Mrzlack, a manager at the Grand Concourse in Station Square. "Everybody's welcome here."
Unruly children have never been an issue at Eleven in the Strip District, manager Ron Ausnehmer said. He questioned the business sense of the decision to ban youngsters.
"If anything, I think it's going to drive away a little bit of their business," he said.
Mr. Vuick said he expected that the policy change wouldn't impact his bottom line.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11193/1159804-56.stm#ixzz1RxA0Vqfi

Nick Manning
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
crofl...I took a guy to the hospital from that joint last year after he vagal'd out on the toilet :lmao

desflood
07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
"If anything, I think it's going to drive away a little bit of their business,"
I think it's going to increase their business.

4>0rings
07-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Fucking parents, nobody likes your kids but YOU!!

mrsmaalox
07-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Losing this one place won't even make a slight dent in the number of family restaurants the kids can choose from; but it will increase the selection for adults who want a quieter atmosphere :tu

MannyIsGod
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Losing this one place won't even make a slight dent in the number of family restaurants the kids can choose from; but it will increase the selection for adults who want a quieter atmosphere :tu

Bingo!

Cane
07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
A golf driving-range restaurant? Tbh I'm surprised it took this long to kick out the kiddies.

Drachen
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
LOL, love the picture. However, I think that this is a good thing. I have a child under 6, and another on the way. My daughter is generally well behaved (much better than her age anyway), but she is still a child and is prone to tantrums every once in a while. I will take her outside until she can calm down in that case if I am in a restaurant. However, I am in the minority (it seems) as a parent. I am willing to sacrifice taking my daughter to a certain restaurant if it means that my wife and I can go in peace at a later time (I am talking in generalities here, not about this specific restaurant).

I also subscribe to the "no one cares about your kids but YOU" club. I hated it when I had no kids when people would talk about their kids to me. Now that I have a kid, that hasn't changed (except that now more people think I want to hear about their kids). I talk about my daughter, but never before someone asks (i.e. I won't bring my kids up out of the blue). I don't care about your kids, why should I expect you to care about mine. When I tell people this, they get all hurt and say "well I guess I am just a proud mama/papa" implying that I am not and I turn around and say "I am an extremely proud father... of my daughter...not your kid."

Edit: I am pretty laid back in general, I guess that this is an unfortunate pet peeve to have at my age.

ManuBalboa
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Fucking parents, nobody likes your kids but YOU!!

This. Get a clue people. I'm not there to drop money and have your dumbass kid 2 feet away crying in my ear. Give him a poptart at home and stfu.

DarkReign
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I heard about this on the radio yesterday. One of the best quotes was "Rightfully, children are the center of a parent's universe. Theyre not, however, the center of the universe."

baseline bum
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
mGssc867b00

Destro
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Kids shouldn't be in restaurants after 6:45pm - get a sitter or eat early

Stay at home moms shouldn't be having lunch between 11:45am - 1pm when working people are trying to have a quick lunch.

BlackSwordsMan
07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
What if a 50 year old man with a mind of 6 year old walks in?

gospursgojas
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
What kid would want to eat there anyway? If youre a parent and take your kid to a golf range restaurant, you're an idiot.

gospursgojas
07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
lol comic sans

ididnotnothat
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
if you have a child via any other way than adoption you are a moron

That is easy for you to say. You don't get laid.

JudynTX
07-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree with this.

Bill_Brasky
07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Good on them, fuck kids.

Dex
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
If this guy doesn't want to let kids into his restaurant, more power to him. This is America, where you have the right to refuse service to anyone you want.

There are plenty of places that caters to kid's needs like Chuck E. Fricking-Cheese; what's wrong if one place wants to cater to adult's without being a bar or strip club?

I don't mind kids, so they generally don't bother me. But I'm sure we've all been sat next to that one table with the screaming baby or the restless kids, and to have a better option seems like a good deal to me.

Soul_Patch
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Damn now the golf restaurant will be the epicenter of cozy romantic dining....

Ill have the, filet mignon with a large bucket of balls please! oh and bring a small bucket for the Mrs....do we get a free green fee with that?

Das Texan
07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Too bad it wasnt 10 and under banned.

Leetonidas
07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
crofl...I took a guy to the hospital from that joint last year after he vagal'd out on the toilet :lmao

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Vagal'd?

desflood
07-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Vagal'd?
In layman's terms, he passed out. Occasionally that can be caused by straining too hard on the toilet. :lol

Of course, I can only laugh because that's never happened to me. If it had, it probably wouldn't be half as funny.

mrsmaalox
07-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Vagal'd?

Vagus nerve stimulation.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
So vagal'd is a scientific term?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Vagus nerve stimulation.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. VNS. Should'f said that in the first place.