PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson's The Hobbit Video Blogs

CubanSucks
07-13-2011, 05:31 AM
finally released another one but in case you didn't even know he was doing these here you go. It's just something to hold me over while I wait for another year and a half for it to actually come out

A2m2x8qJcGQ

Gc6TVoYeKJU

awesome to see Radagast is gonna be part of it

DMC
07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
All I need is a pocket protector and some tape for my glasses, a retainer and a Mtn Dew/Cheetos and I am all set.

ManuBalboa
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
^ that's Star Wars bruh.

LoTR/Hobbit is for real O.G.'s.

4>0rings
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Does his mom still dress him in the morning?

CubanSucks
07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
All I need is a pocket protector and some tape for my glasses, a retainer and a Mtn Dew/Cheetos and I am all set.

lol too scared to like something cause it's not considered cool. I remember I was the same way when I was like in my early teens. Or it might be you feel worried that you're too old to enjoy it without being considered weird. My guess is it was the same way with older people when Star Wars came out. They had the mindset of "well it's about aliens and space ships and saving a princess so this is just silly." Yes, it's about elves and dwarves and hobbits and wizards, who cares

Cane
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.movieguys.org/wp-content/uploads/hobbit.jpg

Hopefully its as good as the best LOTR (Fellowship) but Game of Thrones has taken the fantasy genre to grimdark heights and boobies.

DMC
07-13-2011, 05:12 PM
lol too scared to like something cause it's not considered cool. I remember I was the same way when I was like in my early teens. Or it might be you feel worried that you're too old to enjoy it without being considered weird. My guess is it was the same way with older people when Star Wars came out. They had the mindset of "well it's about aliens and space ships and saving a princess so this is just silly." Yes, it's about elves and dwarves and hobbits and wizards, who cares

http://www.yumyucky.com/.a/6a010536e3fd46970c01156f77d540970c-pi.jpg

CubanSucks
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.yumyucky.com/.a/6a010536e3fd46970c01156f77d540970c-pi.jpg

tbh I'm more of a dr pepper guy. Plus, when I watch a movie I usually make what is called puppy chow. It's when you melt some peanut butter and chocolate chips then pour it on crispex cereal then stir some powdered sugar to where it sticks on the melted peanut butter and chocolate. Can't really enjoy a good movie without it :toast

DMC
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Peanut butter squares. That's what we always called them. Put Karo syrup into a pot, bring to boil, put in smooth peanut butter, stir in rice krispies and divide onto a wax baking sheet (or do like we did and make one huge square, no sharing that way). I guess you could add other things, but never saw the need.

I've seen all the LotR movies the day they were released. :lol

CubanSucks
12-21-2011, 02:42 AM
8TxDfsRlBCs

apD2CFEJ0MY

and then what I've been waiting for: the trailer

eM--4UklaL4&

I don't know if it's me or just a coincidence but just like with The Dark Knight Rises I'm underwhelmed by the trailer

benefactor
12-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Not sure what you are expecting out of trailers. I'd rather them not show me the whole damn movie in 2 minutes.

lefty
12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Not sure what you are expecting out of trailers. I'd rather them not show me the whole damn movie in 2 minutes.
Good point

benefactor
12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Anyone see it yet? I'm going this afternoon. Reviews are mixed with some saying it should be about an hour shorter.

Lincoln
12-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Saw it at the midnight premiere, yeah it's def a lil long and has quite a bit of filler scenes but overall it was enjoyable. The smeagle scenes at the end were the most entertaining.

It's got a diff vibe than LOTR. It's more cheerful, less serious, and joking imo

Trainwreck2100
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
is this movie a new trilogy or just a one shot

benefactor
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Gonna be three.

benefactor
12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
They say this one is a lot of setup like Fellowship.

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
i couldnt stand watchin lotr too much focus was on them mental midget hobits frodo the wanker back and forth...

now u got this piece of shit?

CubanSucks
12-15-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm seeing it at 6:45 and then I'll read this thread. About fucking time someone bumped this thread

Lincoln
12-15-2012, 03:20 PM
i couldnt stand watchin lotr too much focus was on them mental midget hobits frodo the wanker back and forth...

now u got this piece of shit?
But you can watch and read hours worth of anime/manga

You're a fuckin faggot

baseline bum
12-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm usually not into this genre of movies, but I gotta go see it since some of the filming was done in Glenorchy, New Zealand (fucking awesome town). Thought this shit was funny when I saw it on a flight from Auckland to Queenstown, NZ.

cBlRbrB_Gnc

mFFL03
12-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Sliegh rabbits

benefactor
12-15-2012, 07:36 PM
It was good. Didn't thing the beginning was that slow at all.

ColinB
12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Anybody see it in 48 FPS 3D or whatever they are hyping? Really curious how that looks. Hopefully I will see it this week. Love The Hobbit, but man, the reviews aren't looking good. Pretty damn mixed compared to LOTR.

Trainwreck2100
12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Gonna be three.

Seriously? should have gone with 2

CubanSucks
12-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I loved it but as expected it's not on the level of LotR. The only complaints I had was the time around the troll scene including the troll scene itself and how lame Azog looked. Radagast was easily my favorite character

Seriously? should have gone with 2

Tolkien wrote PLENTY for there to be 3 movies. The appendices at the end of TLotR are helping to fill in. It's not as if Jackson decided to add on with his own material

baseline bum
12-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Not seeing where people were coming from calling the story too long; seemed like lots of great action and some pretty amazing wide shots. Glad I saw it on the bigscreen instead of waiting for DVD.

Agloco
12-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Was good overall. If theres one knock, its that it was lacking that "epic" feel. To me it had more the feel of a childrens tale (as the Hobbit was...I know). But I still took a greater liking to the darker delivery that Jackson used in LoTR. At times, I found myself thinking that some characters acted too corny and not serious enough (Radagast and the Goblin King come to mind). I was also taken by surprise at Elronds demeanor as he came in for the first time. It was almost like he had a six pack on board.

That said, I'm already lined up to see it again this weekend. :lol Perhaps some of those things will make more sense to me on the second go round.

Nbadan
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Good Movie.....8.5/10....

GoodOdor
12-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Good movie.

Jacob1983
12-18-2012, 03:32 AM
I liked it. It's not as good as LOTR but it would be tough to top LOTR. The beginning was a little slow but as soon as Bilbo left The Shire, it picked and was very entertaining. I was a little surprised when it was over. When it ended, I was like "it's over?". Seeing the characters of LOTR in it was sweet. I loved the dwarf chant. Some people are shitting on the movie but they're either haters, didn't like LOTR, or think they're too good to like The Hobbit.

CubanSucks
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Not seeing where people were coming from calling the story too long; seemed like lots of great action and some pretty amazing wide shots. Glad I saw it on the bigscreen instead of waiting for DVD.

I can't wait for the extended edition tbh..they better have an extended edition eventually.

If there was any chance I could watch the movie in the same quality alone on my tv instead of the big screen I wouldn't even consider the theater. Just like with LotR it's unbelievable how many people misread Gollum. Of course there are parts with him that are supposed to be humorous but not every fucking line. I just hate hearing other's reactions to things all together. Seeing a movie alone is so much more personal

Was good overall. If theres one knock, its that it was lacking that "epic" feel. To me it had more the feel of a childrens tale (as the Hobbit was...I know). But I still took a greater liking to the darker delivery that Jackson used in LoTR. At times, I found myself thinking that some characters acted too corny and not serious enough (Radagast and the Goblin King come to mind). I was also taken by surprise at Elronds demeanor as he came in for the first time. It was almost like he had a six pack on board.

That said, I'm already lined up to see it again this weekend. :lol Perhaps some of those things will make more sense to me on the second go round.

It is the first of 3 tho. I'm really optimistic that, to put it simply, this is just laying the foundation for a couple movies that will flow almost as beautifully fast and hard as the LotR movies.

They still should've done without Azog living tbh. He should've been beheaded in the backstory. If that meant they would've only had enough material for 2 movies then oh well

CubanSucks
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I was a little surprised when it was over. When it ended, I was like "it's over?".

Did you not see the LotR trilogy? It was a better ending then any of them tbh. At least it was a cliffhanger. Maybe not better than Two Towers just cause of the feel from the music and the sight of Mordor.

Some people are shitting on the movie but they're either haters, didn't like LOTR, or think they're too good to like The Hobbit.

Or didn't know what to expect. It's bound not to be as good as LotR just cause it's not about the potential end of the world and the last fight between good and evil! At the very LEAST it was a respectable movie. I did worry about a potential George Lucas second Star Wars trilogy situation

lefty
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Havent seen it yet, but a lot of reviews say that there is too much walking in the movie :lol

baseline bum
12-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Great video about the locations they shot in. You can go to Hobbiton on the North Island and that entire area around Paradise is incredible: very very little development (in fact, almost everything past Glenorchy is dirt roads)

q3eeG-jywoc

CubanSucks
12-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Great video about the locations they shot in. You can go to Hobbiton on the North Island and that entire area around Paradise is incredible: very very little development (in fact, almost everything past Glenorchy is dirt roads)

q3eeG-jywoc

I would love to visit all the filming sights but unfortunately they're in the middle of nowhere. And before you can do that you have to get to New Zealand which is in the middle of nowhere itself

baseline bum
12-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Nah, you can drive to Paradise in a couple of hours max from Queenstown. You can either hike to or take a helicopter tour up to Earnslaw Burn, which is the place with all the glaciers in the video. Driving to Mount Cook is easy, though that side they shot from you seemingly never get to see it because of the weather (it's easier to see Mount Cook from Fox Glacier on the other side of the Southern Alps). They have Lord of the Rings tours in a few places there. The alpine levels there are really low too... like 3000-4000 feet, so it's a lot easier to walk to them than to equivalent alpine areas in the US that would be 10000-12000 feet.

CubanSucks
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
if I was in New Zealand I'd definitely make the effort, but again it's all by itself in the ocean. Beautiful scenery and LotR tours aren't enough to go that far

Xevious
12-20-2012, 11:53 AM
I didn't feel like the movie was too slow or long, but TBH I started to get tired of the action by the end of the movie. It was just too much. Starting with the rock giants and ending with the eagles, everything was just so over-the-top. It's impossible to believe that the entire company walked away unharmed.

Agloco
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
It is the first of 3 tho. I'm really optimistic that, to put it simply, this is just laying the foundation for a couple movies that will flow almost as beautifully fast and hard as the LotR movies.

They still should've done without Azog living tbh. He should've been beheaded in the backstory. If that meant they would've only had enough material for 2 movies then oh well

:tu

Yeah. I'm on the fence about Azog. Good backstory, I'm just not sold on the idea that he has to hang around into the second movie. IMO they should have had his head off at the end of the first. Perhaps having Gwaihir rip his head off in dramatic fashion would have worked (since the eagle were there anyway).

I think that Smaug will make or break this for me. Most of the key characters from the movie just haven't been portrayed in a serious enough fashion IMO. I was expecting epic, but got something bordering on a dramatic comedy. Dunno, we shall see.

Technique
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Great movie, a lot of critics and reviewers say it was too detailed and long, which I find puzzling because that's what made LOTR so successful. Jackson is probably the greatest director when it comes to sheer detail. The man knows how to tell a story. I do however concur on the fact that Azog is an unworthy antagonist. He should have been similar to Lurtz in the fact that yeah he's a worthy foe, but no need to overstretch his role.

I think the Hobbit is one of the few movies that are as detailed as the book. I mean I could read the entire Hobbit novel in about 5 hours and all 3 movies combined will be around 9 hours.

The humorous characters were intentional. Jackson stated that he didn't want to compete with himself and make the Hobbit trilogy using the same formula as he did for LOTR. He had more freedom and was able to incorporate many elements into the movie and not just a dark medieval feel. I thought he did that exceptionally well. Radagas was hilarious, yet caring. I thought he was a well put together character.

CubanSucks
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Radagast was my favorite character. My friends were making fun of me for how much I was stoked on him. He's so unique and obviously just doesn't give a fuck about his appearance and perception from others. And even though he's half-crazed and with Saruman ripping on him he's still a powerful Maia who held his own against the Witch King. The scene where he's flying around the fields with the rabbits and the wargs chasing him was the first part of the movie where I got excited, like a very light version of Gandalf charging at Helm's Deep.

Agloco
12-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Radagast was my favorite character. My friends were making fun of me for how much I was stoked on him. He's so unique and obviously just doesn't give a fuck about his appearance and perception from others. And even though he's half-crazed and with Saruman ripping on him he's still a powerful Maia who held his own against the Witch King. The scene where he's flying around the fields with the rabbits and the wargs chasing him was the first part of the movie where I got excited, like a very light version of Gandalf charging at Helm's Deep.

Is it just me, or are the special effects in this one a little off? The entire sequence with the Wargs chasing Radagast around looked sub-par. Another sequence was the bridge collapse during the Goblin King fight. Looked, well not as good as I'd expect from Jacksons team.

The humorous characters were intentional. Jackson stated that he didn't want to compete with himself and make the Hobbit trilogy using the same formula as he did for LOTR.

It's a personal preference of course, but it bothers me that he felt this way. There's nothing wrong with the way that Jackson went with this. He did well. I'm just having a hard time with the general air of "goofiness" if you will. I guess it was just an additive thing.....the silly mannerisms of the dwarves as they gathered at Bilbos place....then Bert, Tom and Will..... then an inappropriately giddy Elrond,...then Radagast.......then the Goblin King......

I fear what Smaug will be, honestly.

Good, yes. Epic no.

MannyIsGod
12-24-2012, 01:30 AM
I thought it was fairly terrible. That much money into effects and its that bad? The CGI was absolute garbage and choosing to go with CGI over actual actors was a stupid decision. Frodo didn't need to be in this movie at all. Ok fine, you want to go with humerous and avoid the same formula but it was the same formula but worse. Has anyone ever seen an epic monty python movie? No but thats exactly what Jackson tried to do.

The sound mix was awesome though. Still, the effects were SO terrible.

MannyIsGod
12-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Oh - just to add the movie theater we watched it at showed it in 48 fps. That might have been why the effects looked so bad. Honesty don't understand the appeal of 48 fps if it just maes things look way way way way worse. Or it could be the effects were just bad. The CGI characters likely look bad no matter what FPS you see the movie at.

redzero
12-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Oh - just to add the movie theater we watched it at showed it in 48 fps. That might have been why the effects looked so bad. Honesty don't understand the appeal of 48 fps if it just maes things look way way way way worse. Or it could be the effects were just bad. The CGI characters likely look bad no matter what FPS you see the movie at.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I watched (http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/)/read some reviews that said that the movie looks completely different in 2D compared to 48 fps.

MannyIsGod
12-24-2012, 02:41 AM
I watched it in 2d.

EDIT - So I guess if I saw it in 2d it was 24 FPS? Then the movie just flat out looked that bad? There's pretty much no excuse then.

ColinB
12-31-2012, 02:30 AM
Enjoyed it. Still hate Hugo Weaving as Elrond. Terrible casting.

ace3g
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUlxoZRwUS0&feature=player_embedded

CubanSucks
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
gz7LcebHZjE

Kinda wish they didn't show Smaug's head, thought it was perfect until then. I couldn't help but be underwhelmed by him too but then I thought "it is only his head and it's really only a silhouette. I can't help having unrealistic expectations when the Balrog is in my memory

CubanSucks
06-14-2013, 10:21 PM
because fuck lefty's non-searching ass

leemajors
06-14-2013, 10:30 PM

q3eeG-jywoc

NZ went nuts to get this movie. They offered up Kim DotCom on a platter ( until they saw how full of holes the case was), and may have even changed their labor laws to get rid of OT be ding backwards for the studio.

Creepn
08-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Rented this last night and this movie was a disappointment. Shut it off half way and will grudgingly try to finish it tomorrow. First of all, who are all these characters that aren't even supposed to be there? Who the fuck is Azog and radagast? They have nothing to do with the journey. Seems they just threw in lotr characters only to stroke nostalgia.

Smaug in the trailer looked stupid too. He looks like the female dragon from Shrek that fell in love with Donkey. Del toro needs to get back on the project.

CubanSucks
08-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Rented this last night and this movie was a disappointment. Shut it off half way and will grudgingly try to finish it tomorrow. First of all, who are all these characters that aren't even supposed to be there? Who the fuck is Azog and radagast? They have nothing to do with the journey. Seems they just threw in lotr characters only to stroke nostalgia.

Smaug in the trailer looked stupid too. He looks like the female dragon from Shrek that fell in love with Donkey. Del toro needs to get back on the project.

Are you genuinely asking who Azog and Radagast are? I'd say they're pretty damn important to the journey seeing as how it's going to be a trilogy. Now whether you think that's a good idea or not is an entirely different argument. Azog I wasn't a fan of but how could anyone complain about another wizard being heavily shown? And the only character you could complain as being forced in there is Frodo.

You can't even really see Smaug. All you see is practically a silhouette of his head.

And enough with the Del Toro lovefest for fucks sake. I was one more "well Del Toro is directing so I'll give it a chance!" post away from shooting someone before Pacific Rim came out. Hellboy 1/2 and Pans Labyrinth is hardly a stellar resume.

Creepn
08-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Are you genuinely asking who Azog and Radagast are? I'd say they're pretty damn important to the journey seeing as how it's going to be a trilogy. Now whether you think that's a good idea or not is an entirely different argument. Azog I wasn't a fan of but how could anyone complain about another wizard being heavily shown? And the only character you could complain as being forced in there is Frodo.

You can't even really see Smaug. All you see is practically a silhouette of his head.

And enough with the Del Toro lovefest for fucks sake. I was one more "well Del Toro is directing so I'll give it a chance!" post away from shooting someone before Pacific Rim came out. Hellboy 1/2 and Pans Labyrinth is hardly a stellar resume.

Almost all of the lotr characters are forced in there. Only ones that should be there is Gandalf and Elrond. Is the writers name Peter Tolkien?

Del Toro would've made the creatures better. Smaug is suppose to be in flames like Balrog imo. I guess they are catering to the kids since the story was written as a children's book.

lefty
10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
New trailer TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ#t=14

CubanSucks
10-03-2013, 06:34 PM
New trailer TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ#t=14

I like it but I really hope they don't force Legolas and that made up elf woman character down our throats. Also, Smaug's voice sounds great

lefty
10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Yup Smaugs sounds amazing :tu

And that female elf character is Tauriel - played by Evangeline Lilly

CubanSucks
10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I know her name and definitely know the beautiful Evangeline Lilly but I don't feel comfortable using her name casually as if she should even exist

lefty
10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
meh no big deal

Proxy
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM
What's up with the orange/blue palette? Overdone and cheapens the mood imo