PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Splitter--An Anniversary Still in the Making

wildbill2u
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Jeff McDonald column excerpts: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/07/12/evaluating-splitter-an-anniversary-still-in-the-making/

"A year ago today, the Spurs made up major ground in their quest to match the height and length of the Los Angeles Lakers. They added a player who could, conceivably, help tilt the balance of power back their direction in the West."

"
When Splitter did play, he generally proved to be as advertised — or at least how Popovich tried to advertise him, before expectations spun out of control. He was a blue-collar guy, a hard-hat and lunch-pail and punch the time clock guy. Not a star. He was never supposed to be.
By the time the playoffs dawned, Splitter found himself where many Spurs rookies do — superglued to the end of the bench, watching, even as the bigger, stronger Memphis Grizzlies pushed around his team’s front line. When he finally made his playoff debut, in Game 4 with the Spurs in a 2-1 hole, Splitter logged 10 points and nine rebounds in 21 minutes.

What does the future hold for Splitter? The Spurs still harbor high hopes. In a year-end interview in May, (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/13/pop%E2%80%99s-offseason-goal-discover-duncan%E2%80%99s-sidekick/) Popovich laid more expectations at Splitter’s feet than he ever had before, calling the Brazilian big man the Spurs’ “linchpin of the future” and a “stalwart going forward.”
As his No. 1 offseason personnel goal, Popovich cited the need to find a better defensive complement for Duncan in the front court, a role that could go to Splitter. He will still be a hard-hat and lunch-pail guy, but perhaps allowed to punch his time card a little more regularly in season two."

TwelveGs210
07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Lol "excerpts".. Most of the article there

benefactor
07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
When McDonald wakes up and shakes off his hangover you are in deep shit.

Solid D
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
That's about as fresh as Miss Havasham's hairdo.

http://strzyzenglishclass.pbworks.com/f/Miss%20Havisham.jpg

pgardn
07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
THE BAD:
1. Hard hat... I did not see the hard hat. Splitter needs to get a bit of an attitude. Hard hat implies toughness. I saw toughness in trying to draw charges, but he is NOT tough under the basket where the shoving goes on. This needs to change. Weight room, something needs to happen physically and mentally.

2. His game 5-10 feet out is awful. Some sort of hook, or jump hook would be nice instead of the ball starting at shoulder level like some sort of distorted, amazingly flat, retarded "sky" hook.

3. Stupid fouls and properly assessing when and when not to try to draw charges.

4. Foul shooting: If he can become a junk man, he needs to hit his fouls after getting an offensive rebound.

THE GOOD:

1. His willingness to set screens and roll was a nice addition. I think once he practices with Parker, Ginobili and Duncan some more, this might be a very effective way to become a part of the offense. It takes a toll on Duncan constantly having to be the one guy to screen effectively because he knows how to set up Ginobili and Parker without drawing fouls constantly.

2. His ability to move his feet at his size is quite good imo. Good quick footwork on a big man can lead to upsides unseen as of yet. And I will now pray something becomes of it.

3. He looked like he could play the part of a junk man, a role I thought Blair would fill until he decided to eat himself out of playing time. We need easy junk baskets with all our reliance on outside shooting that clearly comes and goes.

4. He is tall. He can actually move to get in people's faces, even if he cannot swat.

THE UGLY:

Yes, he is ugly. Quite ugly. I would rate him as unusually ugly. Big robot, Frankenstein ugly. If he decides to get mean, his ugliness could draw more flagrant fouls or T's. As a ref I would already have 1/2 a technical on him before the game starts, simply for illegally possessing more than 6 ounces of ugly.
Yes, I would throw Matt Barnes and Peja S. out of every game.

Bill_Brasky
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Tiago gained a lot of respect from Pop by doing everything Pop asked of him without showing one iota of negativity, even if he(and everyone else) felt like he deserved more PT. When he did come in, he worked his butt off and showed a lot of potential. With a full offseason and training camp under his belt, then subsequently a season where he gets substantial playing time in a lot of games, he could be exactly the frontcourt partner Duncan needs.

lefty
07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Fuck Pop

lol Bonner love

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
the writer of teh article ever since writing articles about the spurs hasnt impress me with his works.....

now about splitter, defensively his good and following what the spurs need him to do, a good body down low with good positioning and two hands in the air at all times instead of jumping to block shots or falling for the pump fakes....still needs to be more aggressive down low against bigger opponents..

as for offense, not as smooth as rasho low post game, footwork needs to be improve same with shot release and selection, cant create for himself with his weak ass pathetic attempts (must have learnt it from duncan) where as his putbacks from offensive glass is very good....if only he has the inside touch, he be a good player....another thing to add, seems like his chemistry with certain players on the court is good...

cantthinkofanything
07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
THE BAD:
1. Hard hat... Hard hat implies toughness...

but not always...

http://www.exileclan.com/images/village-people-construction-worker.jpg

TwelveGs210
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I dunno bout that ^..he looks pretty intimidating

DMC
07-13-2011, 05:22 PM
http://thinknice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Epic-Hilarious-Hard-Hat-Fail.jpg

wildbill2u
07-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Back when the Spurs first drafted him I kept looking for videos where he was playing. Strangely enough, his coach at the time had him playing a lot out at the perimeter around the top of the key.

He was pretty effective on the pick and rollout there because he could handle the ball and drive to the basket--something Rasho couldn't do and Oberto did all too seldom.

rmt
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
What a waste of another year of TD's career because of the stupidity of the coach - and that in a year where the Mavs take out the Lakers.

Splitter has wasted a whole year of his career and for whichever poster above, the lack of scoring 5-10 feet out and fouling could also be said of Tyson Chandler who did just fine for the Mavs. All the Spurs needed was some height/size so that Randolph/Gasol couldn't abuse the midgets that Pop decided to trot out there. No need for any offensive powerhouse - an integrated Splitter or a Ratliff or similar type (sized) players would have sufficed.

Don't care what Pop says about Splitter - lynchpin, whatever. I'll believe it when I see it. Can he resist not playing Bonner? When will he learn? How many years do I have to watch Bonner choking? 33% 3Pt% - LOL

Trill Clinton
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
When McDonald wakes up and shakes off his hangover you are in deep shit.

:lol

pgardn
07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
but not always...

http://www.exileclan.com/images/village-people-construction-worker.jpg

... and I stand corrected, but definitely not erected.

And the swimming pool enema. One has to wonder.