PDA

View Full Version : The Thing - 2011

benefactor
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
NmCPCILPj_c

I'm not going to see this. Not in the theater...on demand...never. Some classics are just not meant to be tampered with.

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Its a prequel it will suck, it was supposed to come it in may but it was considered too shitty to be a summer movie

ChumpDumper
07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Looks like the first one but with a chick.

redzero
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
This now seems more like Alien since it has a female protagonist.

ace3g
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes, it is a prequel about the Norwegian camp.

Cane
07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Tbh it looks pretty damn fun. It won't rival the Kurt Russel classic though but hopefully it'll be much better than "Escape from New Jersey" :dizzy

mrsmaalox
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
No no no! The original classic is "The Thing From Another World", 1951, with James Arness as the "thing".

ChumpDumper
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Unless they use the old school effects of the original remake, pass.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Carpenter's is all that's needed.

Pee-ree-ud

z0sa
07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
No no no! The original classic is "The Thing From Another World", 1951, with James Arness as the "thing".

Yes! I actually saw this as a kid BEFORE I saw the Thing.

SA210
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
NmCPCILPj_c

I'm not going to see this. Not in the theater...on demand...never. Some classics are just not meant to be tampered with.

Same goes for

The Karate Kid
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Fright Night
The Lost Boys
Arthur
Footloose
Red Dawn
Weird Science
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Total Recall

and a helluva lot more!

And seriously, actually think about this shit. Any of the ones I mentioned that have already come out. Does ANYONE actually TRULY remember the new versions? What f**** impact did they really have? When I hear those titles, noone gives a damn anymore about them. I still think back to the originals. Nothing but a damn waste of time, money and a complete massacre of film.

:pctoss

Libri
07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Been waiting for this. :downspin:

Yet, the probability of sucking is high. :depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
To be fair, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was never remade. Technically.
Actually, I thought Charlie and Chocolate Factory was pretty good. My favorite was the ring of squirrels :lol

Cane
07-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Same goes for

The Karate Kid
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Fright Night
The Lost Boys
Arthur
Footloose
Red Dawn
Weird Science
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Total Recall

and a helluva lot more!

And seriously, actually think about this shit. Any of the ones I mentioned that have already come out. Does ANYONE actually TRULY remember the new versions? What f**** impact did they really have? When I hear those titles, noone gives a damn anymore about them. I still think back to the originals. Nothing but a damn waste of time, money and a complete massacre of film.

:pctoss

True but the rare instances like the new Batman give me hope since Tim Burton's was such a classic as well.

Tbh this prequel looks like a fun movie especially if it has the pacing of the original.

redzero
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM
The new Batman series doesn't count at all.

CubanSucks
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM

lol just cause it's the original doesn't make it the classic. Everyone knows the 82 version is the classic. Can't have 2 classics of the same movie and everyone agrees the 82 version wins

Viva Las Espuelas
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Plus dogs make better thing's.

Kinda cool how they used wolf mixes, so when the "wild" in them came out, it made you think "something is not right". :tu

fraga
07-14-2011, 05:51 PM
It looks alright...looks better than most other remakes...and make no mistake..this is a remake...but yes...can't hold a candle to Kurt Russels/Carpenters "The Thing"...good for the new generation...

z0sa
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
lol just cause it's the original doesn't make it the classic. Everyone knows the 82 version is the classic. Can't have 2 classics of the same movie and everyone agrees the 82 version wins

The 82 version wasn't even considered that great when it first released. The 51 classic was a classic and will always be a classic, regardless of how good its remake was.

TheProfessor
07-14-2011, 06:12 PM
The 82 version wasn't even considered that great when it first released. The 51 classic was a classic and will always be a classic, regardless of how good its remake was.
The '51 version has aged very poorly. And initial poor reception does not determine whether a film is a classic. The Shining was nominated for multiple Razzies, and it's considered one of the best horror movies of all time. Vertigo did very poorly compared to most Hitchcock films, and is now considered by many to be his best and a top-20 movie all-time.

Prime1
Looks awful. The dropoff from Kurt Russell to this girl looks like it will be immense. The only good part of that trailer was hearing Carpenter's music from the original.

Can't have 2 classics of the same movie

This doesn't make any sense. There have been tons of movies that have been remade or done multiple times based on the same source material and both versions have been classics; True Grit, The Magnificent Seven, The Fly, Scarface, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.

Prime1
double post

z0sa
07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
The '51 version has aged very poorly. And initial poor reception does not determine whether a film is a classic.

I said nothing to the contrary. That doesn't mean the 51 version isn't a classic in its own right, and it doesn't mean "everyone" agrees the 82 version is the "only" classic Thing adaptation.

One could go even deeper and say the "real classic" was the short story all are based upon, even if all the movies are considered "classics." Get me? :lol

mrsmaalox
07-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Ah, my bad. I admittedly neglected to ask "everyone" :lol

Darius McCrary
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
anyone supporting this should be written in the death note

Giuseppe
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I said nothing to the contrary. That doesn't mean the 51 version isn't a classic in its own right, and it doesn't mean "everyone" agrees the 82 version is the "only" classic Thing adaptation.

I like the '51 edition. "Nickie" is hot. And she's ahead of her time. I'd love to have a girl friend like her. Hell, she ties The Capt. (Kenneth Tobey) to a chair in the first 30 minutes.

TheProfessor
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM

One could go even deeper and say the "real classic" was the short story all are based upon, even if all the movies are considered "classics." Get me? :lol
:tu Gotcha.

My personal wish is that they'd stop shoveling money into unnecessary remakes and do something that deserves a film adaptation, like del Toro's proposed version of At the Mountains of Madness.

benefactor
07-14-2011, 09:06 PM
...or remake something that was shitty and improve it like Masters of the Universe.