View Full Version : It's almost over.................hopefully

Spursfan092120
07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Source: 'It's almost over'

Posted on: July 14, 2011 10:34 pm
Score: 142
Log-in to rate:
Log-in to rate:
A source with direct knowledge of the talks between owners and players describes them this way:

"We're at the half-yard line. The ball was just snapped. Now we gotta punch it in."

Excuse the football cliche but it was the official's way of saying this: this deal is all but done. Unless there is a massive amount of subterfuge that would make the CIA blush, the negotiations should be completed within the next 24-48 hours. A handshake agreement, I'm told, could come this weekend or early next week at the latest.

When the two sides reached firm agreements on the rookie wage scale and salary cap number over a 13-hour marathon meeting -- the cap will be around $120 million, I'm told -- some of the other issues fell quickly into place.

There are no more major sticking points. Just some minor to mid-major. One is judicial oversight of the CBA. The owners have long hated the courts having jurisdiction. Contrary to reports that has yet to be finalized.

But, now, mostly, lawyers are performing a close examination of the language of the 500-plus page document and cleaning up a few details.

I was also told that NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell, commissioner, have discussed how they are going to address the media at the completion of a deal. But the source couldn't determine when exactly they had this discussion.

It's almost done. It's just about over. The only thing left is the touchdown dance.

Or, if you prefer, the only thing left is to hand the football to the ref post-score.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/30622346

HomerFan092120
07-14-2011, 10:12 PM
sweet.....now we can just sit back and watch the Boys win #6 and go 19-0 :toast

Spursfan092120
07-14-2011, 10:17 PM
sweet.....now we can just sit back and watch the Boys win #6 and go 19-0 :toast

a troll can definitely overdo it....you're a perfect example...step back a bit, you'll be just fine. :)

IronMexican
07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Awesome possum. The needle in my arm will be back.

Spursfan092120
07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Awesome possum. The needle in my arm will be back.
You need to get Gold...at least by the time Madden comes out.

IronMexican
07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Don't tell me how to live my life.

IronMexican
07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
And maybe with my paycheck tomorrow.

Spursfan092120
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
And maybe with my paycheck tomorrow.

Gyyeah...I need to get my damn connection fixed too.

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
The Ryan Fitzpatrick Tour of Greatness is back on schedule :tu

benefactor
07-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Hooray! Time for another great start for the Texans immediately followed by an epic collapse the leads them hoping another team loses so they can get in the playoffs.

DeadlyDynasty
07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Hooray! Time for another great start for the Texans immediately followed by an epic collapse the leads them hoping another team loses so they can get in the playoffs.

ahh, to win 8-9 games in a season...those were the days.

Axe Murderer
07-15-2011, 12:05 AM
:lol

tbh i had no idea that 90210's troll posted in this thread til just now. I just skimmed through quickly and thought he posted 3 times in a row

Ditty
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey guys,

A non related question. I'm going to make the trip up to Dallas for the first time in a few years too see my Redskins play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football in September, with a few of my other Redskins buddies. I was at looking at tickets, and saw that the hall of fame seating was so cheap, anyone know why? Do you have to stand or something?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-15-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm guessing the players made some pretty hefty compromises they shouldn't have had to make, but such is life. I don't get why the players' union cares so much about a rookie scale, none of them would be affected by it. This 3-4 week off season where every team has to make tons of roster changes is gonna be nuts.

mojorizen7
07-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Slingin' Sammy Bradford likes this because it would be a shame to delay stomping all over the other QB'less shit teams in the NFC West another year.

Spursfan092120
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey guys,

A non related question. I'm going to make the trip up to Dallas for the first time in a few years too see my Redskins play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football in September, with a few of my other Redskins buddies. I was at looking at tickets, and saw that the hall of fame seating was so cheap, anyone know why? Do you have to stand or something?

They have the party passes which are standing only...not sure about Hall of Fame seating..never been to a game...

TIMMYtoZO
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
With Paul Posluszny very intetested in joining the Giants, this team is gonna be sick! Giant's drafted a steal in Austin in the 2nd round. Drafted a great shutdown corner in the 1st. They have a very solid O-line. It all comes down to limiting the turnovers. The Giants have the best D in the NFL by far. They are PISSED about how last year ended. I'd be shocked if they don't go at least 13-3 and win the superbowl. Too much talent on that team to come up short again. Way too much talent.

Spursfan092120
07-15-2011, 08:37 PM
With Paul Posluszny very intetested in joining the Giants, this team is gonna be sick! Giant's drafted a steal in Austin in the 2nd round. Drafted a great shutdown corner in the 1st. They have a very solid O-line. It all comes down to limiting the turnovers. The Giants have the best D in the NFL by far. They are PISSED about how last year ended. I'd be shocked if they don't go at least 13-3 and win the superbowl. Too much talent on that team to come up short again. Way too much talent.

And I'm called a homer? sheesh....
:rolleyes

TIMMYtoZO
07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
And I'm called a homer? sheesh....
:rolleyes

Giants>>>>>>>>>>Cowboys in every aspect other than probably linebackers. Giants are a proven championship team. That D is flat out disgusting. The offense making careless turnovers did them in. They will fix that issue. So :rolleyes at yourself.

DeadlyDynasty
07-15-2011, 10:19 PM

:lmao

Poz will shatter his forearm again and miss most of the season...dude is a fucking china doll. You are right about one thing: G-men>>>>Cowboys. I don't even blame Eli for last year...75% of his interceptions hit his receivers' hands first:lol

Spursfan092120
07-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Giants>>>>>>>>>>Cowboys in every aspect other than probably linebackers. Giants are a proven championship team. That D is flat out disgusting. The offense making careless turnovers did them in. They will fix that issue. So :rolleyes at yourself.

You're missing my point...never said they weren't better than Dallas...I just rolled my eyes at the "best defense in the league by far" and "13-3 and a Superbowl" comment. Dallas isn't on the Giants level right now imo...but the Giants aren't a 13-3 and SB team...oh..and Pittsburgh and the Jets are laughing at your "best defense" comment right now.

Dirk Nowitzki
07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Why are people leaving out the Packers? They are getting all their injured guys back. They will have a stronger running game with Grant back, an even stronger passing game with Finley back, and a top notch D. Now they aren't a lock for shit being that this is the NFL, but that is one scary roster and one that is certainly better than the Giants.

DeadlyDynasty
07-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Nobody really left them out. They're clearly still the class of the NFC (and the rest of the NFL)

Spursfan092120
07-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Nobody really left them out. They're clearly still the class of the NFC (and the rest of the NFL)

this

mojorizen7
07-16-2011, 01:20 AM

Absolutely....and they'll get guys back from last seasons IR list.

J_Paco
07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
ahh, to win 8-9 games in a season...those were the days.

LOLOLOL

Yeah, what I wouldn't give for the Bills to be a playoff team again. On the bright side, at least we'll be able to see their great new uni's on the field. Plus, this will distract us until the NBA comes back in January or February.

Spursfan092120
07-18-2011, 03:04 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk238/GWScherer/33310new.jpg

Pretty sick tbh..

Axe Murderer
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
if the Cowboys aren't in contention this year, i'd really like to see San Diego win it all. That team has too much talent to not make it to the super bowl atleast one time in the Rivers era.

and tbh i've always been a big Rivers-Jackson fan

Spursfan092120
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
if the Cowboys aren't in contention this year, i'd really like to see San Diego win it all. That team has too much talent to not make it to the super bowl atleast one time in the Rivers era.

and tbh i've always been a big Rivers-Jackson fan

Rivers/Jackson is insane..REALLY wish we could get our hands on Vincent.

dirk4mvp
07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
The only way the Chargers are even making the playoffs is if they get a wildcard.

The Chiefs are also a stacked team with tons of young talent. Charles, Berry, Bowe, Flowers, McCluster, etc. They staaaaaacked.

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/dexter-mccluster-2010-9-14-0-24-32.jpg

Axe Murderer
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
The only way the Chargers are even making the playoffs is if they actually decide to play before November

i agree imho

dirk4mvp
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
crofl the best part about the Chargers' annual slow start is when they finally get rolling ducks will come out of nowhere proclaiming he's recently been busy working 80+ work weeks.

Axe Murderer
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
tbh i had second thoughts about rooting for the Chargers because of Fabbs but then i realized he's always gonna be too busy complaining about stupid shit in the Spurs forum/Club to boast anyway

TIMMYtoZO
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM

Please....The only reason why the Packers even sniffed the playoffs was because the Giants imploded. The Giants are a better team than the Packers. I would take Eli Manning over Rodgers anyday of the week. Giants with this draft and this motivation are the class of the NFC.

Spursfan092120
07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Please....The only reason why the Packers even sniffed the playoffs was because the Giants imploded. The Giants are a better team than the Packers. I would take Eli Manning over Rodgers anyday of the week. Giants with this draft and this motivation are the class of the NFC.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Wow...please tell me this is a troll..

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Tbh I can't remember a superbowl team that had so many guys coming back the next year that makes them so much better on paper at least. Packers are easily the favorite.

Jacob1983
07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
I hope it ends by Friday because I just made a bet that it would by Friday of this week.

Jacob1983's Doctor
07-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I hope it ends by Friday because I just made a bet that it would by Friday of this week.

i think you need to lay off the xanax

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-18-2011, 10:54 PM
shouldn't be bettin' away det $15,000 annual salary Jacob

symple19
07-19-2011, 01:45 AM
My money would be on the Pack as well. They're young enough to get a few more SB's in the coming years so long as they stay healthy

and lol @ the Giants being better than the Pack. The Giants are the 6th best team in the NFC at best. The West will be garbage yet again.

Also, if they stay healthy at QB, I think Detroit could challenge for a wild card

AFC? Colts/Pats/Pitt as usual, with KC a team on the rise.

Axe Murderer
07-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Also, if they stay healthy at QB, I think Detroit could challenge for a wild card

This.

I've always scoffed the Lions but I think this is the year they make the playoffs or barely come up short. If Stafford is healthy that is.

They have some explosive weapons on offense, that D is gonna be tough, and obviously the D-line could be the best in the league. Looking forward to seeing how the Lions turn out

Kai
07-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Meh, Lions are the sexy pick this year. I took a sip of the Detroit koolaid, tastes like 6-10. Tough division and ugly schedule.

Kai
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Also here's the Pouncey twins either planking or having butt sex:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/350431117.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1311106711&Signature=UtT%2FiKZKeulmM2Jnb0iskd1XQvw%3D

Bill_Brasky
07-19-2011, 04:18 PM

FUr_oXh6h_o

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

This.

I've always scoffed the Lions but I think this is the year they make the playoffs or barely come up short. If Stafford is healthy that is.

They have some explosive weapons on offense, that D is gonna be tough, and obviously the D-line could be the best in the league. Looking forward to seeing how the Lions turn out

I think Stafford could have a breakout season, IF and only IF he can manage to stay healthy. Having Calvin Johnson/Titus Young to throw to will be fun for him.

Veterinarian
07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I think Stafford could have a breakout season, IF and only IF he can manage to stay healthy.

So you're saying that if like hypothetically he tears his acl in week 4 he won't have a breakout season?

Good point.

07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
So you're saying that if like hypothetically he tears his acl in week 4 he won't have a breakout season?

Good point.

i like u

TIMMYtoZO
07-19-2011, 09:39 PM
My money would be on the Pack as well. They're young enough to get a few more SB's in the coming years so long as they stay healthy

and lol @ the Giants being better than the Pack. The Giants are the 6th best team in the NFC at best. The West will be garbage yet again.

AFC? Colts/Pats/Pitt as usual, with KC a team on the rise.

It is pathetic how people continue to overrate the Packers. THEY ONLY GOT IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF THE GIANTS IMPLODING! All the Giants had to do was maintain that 21 point lead vs Philly and they would have won it all! It pisses me off that they gave the superbowl away just like the Phillies gave away the NLCS, and the Heat gave the NBA Finals away. Ughhhhhhh!

Giants have a better TEAM than the Packers. Giants defensive line and secondary blows the Packers away. Giants wideouts/run game/Offensiveline and QB also blow away the Packers. Biggest bullshit champion I have ever seen. They got LUCKY!

Spursfan092120
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
It is pathetic how people continue to overrate the Packers. THEY ONLY GOT IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF THE GIANTS IMPLODING! All the Giants had to do was maintain that 21 point lead vs Philly and they would have won it all! It pisses me off that they gave the superbowl away just like the Phillies gave away the NLCS, and the Heat gave the NBA Finals away. Ughhhhhhh!

Giants have a better TEAM than the Packers. Giants defensive line and secondary blows the Packers away. Giants wideouts/run game/Offensiveline and QB also blow away the Packers. Biggest bullshit champion I have ever seen. They got LUCKY!

http://keepitstupid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Stupid.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk238/GWScherer/33310new.jpg

Pretty swole

lefty
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
FUr_oXh6h_o

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

I think Stafford could have a breakout season, IF and only IF he can manage to stay healthy. Having Calvin Johnson/Titus Young to throw to will be fun for him.
Your sig :rollin

DeadlyDynasty
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Lol Broncos

Hey brah, we placing bets before the season this time?

The Gemini Method
07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
So who wins the Nmandi Sweepstakes?

Dr. Gonzo
07-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I think a lot depends on the salary cap figure. There may be a lot of teams that will need to make cuts if it turns out to be the $120 million figure that has been thrown around.

Spursfan092120
07-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Sources: Deal to end lockout reached
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

The NFL Players Association and the league's owners have reached agreement on the remaining points needed in their 10-year labor deal, sources from both sides said.

Despite the fact the new agreement will require a majority vote from the players, that part of the deal between the two sides is considered a formality, according to sources.

The NFLPA is making plans for a major press conference Monday. But first the player reps' executive committee is scheduled to fly to Washington, D.C., on Sunday so they can vote Monday.

Just as the NFL would not have called a vote Thursday in Atlanta without knowing it would pass in the way it did -- 31-0 with one abstention -- the NFLPA would also not be going forward without that assurance.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith knows his executive committee, his players reps and the rest of his constituents well enough to know how they will vote.

Plus, no collective bargaining agreement has ever been turned down by the players when approved by leadership.

The executive committee members and the individual team player reps are perhaps the most informed and involved group that any team sport has seen in recent years.

Many of these players were a part of the CBA process in 2006, providing them the knowledge and experience they used in these talks.

Once the players ratify the deal, training camps and free agency are likely to begin the same day, in what would be the equivalent of merging Thanksgiving and Christmas into one holiday.

By rule, training camps can't start until the new league year does.

Major breakthroughs in Saturday discussions set up the timetable for the resolution to the 130-day lockout.

Owners tentatively agreed to a players-recommended plan for the NFLPA to bring players into team facilities starting as early as Wednesday to physically vote on whether to recertify the current trade association as a union, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

The players' executive committee will meet in Washington on Monday, a move that, according to a high-ranking NFLPA official, was not communicated to the NFLPA executive committee until Saturday morning via phone.

Following that, a recommendation has to be made by the 32 player representatives, likely via conference call. As of late Saturday night, no time had been set for that vote, but it is expected to occur Monday after the executive committee votes to recommend approval, according to the high-ranking official.

The executive committee is also expected to vote to recommend recertifying itself as a union, according to the source. A recommendation also has to be made by the 32 player representatives on that count.

When the executive committee accepts the new CBA, players from certain teams will be granted permission to report to training camps Wednesday and players from other teams will be asked to report to training camps Friday, a source said. The hope from both sides is there are enough votes to recertify the union by as early as Friday.

For that to happen, a 50-percent-plus-one-vote majority of the players have to accept the NFLPA as its union and accept the terms of a CBA.

Much of the confidence in Monday's vote is due in part to the continued working relationship between Smith and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, a source said. The pair have been working with each other directly as the sides near an agreement and continued to do so through the weekend to ensure the remaining issues were resolved, according to a source.

Smith, a source said, has pledged to Goodell that he will also expedite the remaining issues before the first preseason game is played, creating optimism that those games will not be canceled. In that vein, Smith has personally taken on much of the work on the actual CBA-related documents, with his legal team, including NFLPA lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, assisting.

According to the source, Smith took on this responsibility as a show of good faith, because the NFL's management council executive committee had been skeptical due to its prior experience with Kessler as legal counsel.

The NFL announced Thursday it would open its doors to players under contract two days after the NFLPA executive committee accepts the CBA and settlement terms from existing lawsuits. The league also said that free agency would start the day after the union is recertified.

Therefore, under this tentative schedule for recertification, the pre-league year buffer period could start Wednesday.

Under that scenario, teams could potentially open contract talks with their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents and draft choices Wednesday. However, no contracts could be signed until Saturday at the earliest. In that scenario, teams would also be able to renegotiate contracts with players from their own team starting as early as Wednesday.

Upon recertification of the union, free agency could start Saturday at 2 p.m. ET and rosters would be allowed to expand to 90 players.

It is still uncertain when teams would be able to sign undrafted free agents.

It was vital for the NFLPA to have enough time for recertification and have a period of time for the renewed union to work out final details of its benefit plans.

Only a union can negotiate benefits for its members and the NFLPA feared a Tuesday deadline to recertify would not leave enough time to properly negotiate changes in the benefits packages. Under terms of the owners' agreement from Thursday, players would have reverted back to the 2010 benefits plan if they didn't make adjustments within a certain time period.

As talks progressed Saturday, the sides removed one roadblock while moving the dial on another.

A league source said San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, one of the 10 named plaintiffs in the players' antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, is now willing to release his claim without compensation, meaning no money or lifting of the franchise tag. Jackson was the last of the 10 named plaintiffs unwilling to drop his claim.

The sides also got closer to settling the $4 billion network television insurance case, according to a source. That case, which is in the court of U.S. District Judge David Doty in Minneapolis, involved damages suffered by the players after Doty ruled against the owners.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6797238/2011-nfl-lockout-owners-players-come-deal-all-points-sources-say