PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Alert Home Security System (Video System)

DMC
07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.logitech.com/assets/31762/4/logitech-alert-750i-master-system.png

I bought this last year and have since added a few extra cameras.

If you travel a lot and like to keep up with what's going on at home, you can access your cameras via internet and get the QnD even with sound.

I got it because someone was crawling over my fence and they broke a couple of slats in the process, and even though I keep my boat locked up pretty well, I don't want shit going missing. I also have them aimed at the front and back door and motion sensing captures anyone coming or going. Since I have a window up front near the door, it captures UPS or FedEx drops as well, which is cool because it alerts my phone and I can check quickly and make a run to the house if I need to for the item.

These aren't expensive in the realm of CCTV systems, and they plug right into the power outlet and the signal is carried anywhere those wires are connected, so you just plug in your receiver elsewhere, near your PC or whatever, and you can remote all the cameras that way without running any coaxial or twisted pairs for power.

Just an FYI.

Creepn
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Pretty cool. Does it record to your computer?

DMC
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Pretty cool. Does it record to your computer?
It does. You set aside space on a HDD (I dedicated two 2TB drives) and it records anything motion detected. The cool thing about that is that it's always recording on an onboard MicroSD card, but with a motion trip, it backs up a few seconds and sends you the entire sequence, so you see the area just before the sensor went off. That keeps you from seeing only the aftermath. Anyone who's used motion detectors on game cameras knows what I mean when you see the ass end of a buck instead of it's rack as it walked by. After a couple of hours of recording (obviously based on the size of the onboard memory) the camera will right over the previous video. I have left it off for a week or two and never exceeded that limit as it only records a few moments at a time for each motion sensor trip.

In over a year, it's used less than 10% of one drive. You can view the stream from the Logitech interface or you can watch it with your media player, clip at a time. You can speed up the video (and sound, pretty funny at times) and slow it down as well. You can watch up to 4 cameras at once. There's no PTZ (pan tilt zoom) on the mechanical aspect, it's all digital. You can zoom into areas and ignore others for motion detect.

My office is upstairs, so I keep the alert on so I can detect someone pulling into my drive or dropping off a package down stairs. It just pops up on the lower portion of your screen and you can click it and go full screen. You have to have the Logitech software running however.

When you start the software, the cameras will begin uploading to your HDD. If you just leave the software running minimized, there's almost a real time upload.

benefactor
07-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I have an alarm during the day and I have all old school hard wood floors at night(anyone that has lived in a house with them know what I'm talking about). I'm a pretty light sleeper...so if you come in the house when I am there you will meet my "while at home" security system.

http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/images/_products/TaurusJudge3-3Blue.jpg

Sisk
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
The Judge.

benefactor
07-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes sir. Thing is a freaking beast at close range.

Sisk
07-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Yes sir. Thing is a freaking beast at close range.

A neighbor of mine has one in his bedroom. He even had the thing loaded in a specific order in a thought out process... he's ex special forces so it makes sense. I've just got a Springfield XD-40 with some hollow points in the magazine.

benefactor
07-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Ha ha...I do too. Three Winchester PDX rounds then two .45LC's. If you don't go down after the PDX's hit you then I will definitely finish you off with the .45 rounds. I don't see anyone standing up after one or two of those PDX's though.

:tu Springfield XD 40. Nice side arm. I really wanted another .357 but the revolvers are damn expensive.

Creepn
07-15-2011, 12:02 AM
"hollow points"

nasty nasty business guys. Won't ever buy those.

Sisk
07-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Ha ha...I do too. Three Winchester PDX rounds then two .45LC's. If you don't go down after the PDX's hit you then I will definitely finish you off with the .45 rounds. I don't see anyone standing up after one or two of those PDX's though.

:tu Springfield XD 40. Nice side arm. I really wanted another .357 but the revolvers are damn expensive.

Haha well shit, I guess all of you Judge owners are crazy. But I can definitely understand the reasoning. That's one gun no burglar ever wants to be on the other end of... I've never fired one but I'm sure it's interesting the first few times around.

benefactor
07-15-2011, 12:09 AM
It's a really nice side arm for someone that wants good stopping power at a decent price. I took mine to my parents land and tried out those PDX rounds. If you are not familiar with them...they are three disks followed by a wad of bird load. The disks have groves on the edges that hit the rifling in the barrel to make them fire straighter. I was grouping all three disks about six inches apart from 15-20 feet away. Believe me, you want no part of those rounds. From 10 feet away I would surely knock you off your feet on one shot.

Halberto
07-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Do you guys watch NASCAR?!

DMC
07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
If it gets to the point where I need to brandish a firearm, maybe the cameras will be my defense against criminal and civil prosecution.

As for the handgun shown, I would just use an entry shotgun. It's not like you need to conceal it in your home. 12GA with 00 shot, 8 rounds and a Surefire 9P tactical flashlight. Much better than trying to steady a handgun, shooting in your home at night.

DisAsTerBot
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Do you guys watch NASCAR?!

guns=nascar ???

youve got a longhorn for an avatar and dont find it ironic?

pawe
07-15-2011, 11:35 AM
I have an alarm during the day and I have all old school hard wood floors at night(anyone that has lived in a house with them know what I'm talking about). I'm a pretty light sleeper...so if you come in the house when I am there you will meet my "while at home" security system.

http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/images/_products/TaurusJudge3-3Blue.jpg

Haha well shit, I guess all of you Judge owners are crazy. But I can definitely understand the reasoning. That's one gun no burglar ever wants to be on the other end of... I've never fired one but I'm sure it's interesting the first few times around.

Im not a gun basher or snob but I dont know why the Taurus Judge is being sold as a home defense gun.

In a range test, an average of only two buckshot pellets on the judge hits the target @ 21 feet. a pellet is like 3-5mm so Im not thrilled about the stopping power of that gun.
Second, I fired a judge before (the raging judge magnum is louder) and it was freaking loud. Louder than a .44 mag. If you fire that indoors, you will experience temporary deaf/blindness and wont be able to do a follow up shot properly.
I'd use a judge for carry though but not for home defense.

....Well, at least you have a gun than not having one at all. And besides, they wont even know what caliber you packing when the muzzle end is in their face already.

pawe
07-15-2011, 11:43 AM
If it gets to the point where I need to brandish a firearm, maybe the cameras will be my defense against criminal and civil prosecution.

As for the handgun shown, I would just use an entry shotgun. It's not like you need to conceal it in your home. 12GA with 00 shot, 8 rounds and a Surefire 9P tactical flashlight. Much better than trying to steady a handgun, shooting in your home at night.

You'll probably get into more trouble if you point your gun and not shoot. The perp might come back with bigger guns.

For home defense, the perfect weapon for me is a 5.56 suppressed AR 15. You get the firepower and less problems with overpenetration. 1 layer of drywall is all that will penetrate should you miss.

4>0rings
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
It's DMC's fault that a guy is jumping his fence. He should move tbh.

4>0rings
07-15-2011, 11:46 AM
You'll probably get into more trouble if you point your gun and not shoot. The perp might come back with bigger guns.

No f'ing way, what kind of idiot ass burglar comes back to a household he broke into and the owner eye balled him with the barrel of gun?

pawe
07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
"hollow points"

nasty nasty business guys. Won't ever buy those.

If I'm forced to shoot somebody for defense, I want my bullet to stay in him and do damage so he will stay down. I dont want my bullet travelling in and out through him and hitting an innocent bystander.
Plus, I'll do the bad guy a huge favor by killing him than letting him survive and end up being paralyzed or with a tube in his colon the rest of his life.

pawe
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
No f'ing way, what kind of idiot ass burglar comes back to a household he broke into and the owner eye balled him with the barrel of gun?

You said it yourself, they are idiots.

Cane
07-15-2011, 12:03 PM

True, shotguns are the firearm of choice for home defense. There's just too much of a chance that you'll miss with a pistol or not do enough damage. If someone's breaking into your house you want that guy dead and there's no substitute for a shotgun in close quarters.

Also helps to have a dog, etc.

DMC
07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
It's DMC's fault that a guy is jumping his fence. He should move tbh.

Since it was my fault, i dealt with it. It hasn't happened again.

DMC
07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
If you think you need a camera or a gun to protect yourself or your house you are a weak person. Man up. If someone comes to your house uninvited look them in the eye and offer them a hot dog. Plain or all the way with relish. Feed them the hot dog and get them a drink. Big red, pepsi cola, etc.
I need to record the hotdog offering for future reference though. Good input.

benefactor
07-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Im not a gun basher or snob but I dont know why the Taurus Judge is being sold as a home defense gun.

In a range test, an average of only two buckshot pellets on the judge hits the target @ 21 feet. a pellet is like 3-5mm so Im not thrilled about the stopping power of that gun.

Not sure what round you are firing...but the disks in the PDX round are at least 8mm. As I said, I fired them myself from 15-20 feet...a lot of them. Almost all patterned no greater than six inches apart. In my house that would be the furthest distance I would have to fire. In most cases it would be much closer. Also as I mentioned earlier, someone that worries that the .410 ammo might not be enough can always throw a couple of .45LC's in the end of the cylinder.

Second, I fired a judge before (the raging judge magnum is louder) and it was freaking loud. Louder than a .44 mag. If you fire that indoors, you will experience temporary deaf/blindness and wont be able to do a follow up shot properly.
I'd use a judge for carry though but not for home defense.

Really? Because I didn't feel it was near that loud. It didn't even ring my ears. I've shot a .357 Colt Python and it was much, much louder.

DMC
07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
The Judge is really for shooting out of a car window at an attacker. It stores easy and has a short range spread that would neutralize an attacker even if the shooter missed center mass.

benefactor
07-15-2011, 07:47 PM
To each his own. From what I've seen myself no one wants to be at the other end of my gun...in a car...at the house...anywhere.

benefactor
07-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Just to give one a better idea...

http://www.gunblast.com/images/NASGW2009/DSC09424.JPG

DMC
07-16-2011, 01:48 AM
410 shells.

Try putting one beside a 12GA magnum with T shot or 00 buck. Hell, even bird shot.

There's no need for a pistol shotgun and that's what it amounts to. Just use a shotgun. If you want a pistol instead, get a .357 and load with rat shot, or just go balls out with 158gr hydroshocks.

benefactor
07-16-2011, 08:39 AM
I was actually pricing .357 revolvers before I bought the Judge. They are just too damn expensive. I didn't want a shotgun. I wanted a revolver.

The advantage of the .410 round in a pistol is that you can get a round that has good stopping power without shooting through the wall and killing someone outside. Sure you are going to put a bigger hole in someone with a 12 gauge...but it's not like three 8mm wads of metal aren't going to do the trick.

pawe
07-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Only advantage I see with a scatter pistol against a shotgun is you can obviously use your other hand for your flashlight or phone and you can move around rooms much easier unlike the longer barrels of the shotgun.

But, I just cant trust buckshots...Although, I dont want to get shot with one, Im just not comfortable with little buckshot pellets for stopping power. Slugs on the other hand does the job quick.

No gimmicks for me. 4.25" Ed Brown 1911 for everyday carry and a colt 1911 new agent with laser grips to fight my way to my rifle.

http://i51.tinypic.com/11runb8.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/29c19h0.jpg

DMC
07-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't care for laser grips. They point back at the shooter as well. If you have the mental faculty and time to steady a laser dot during a gun battle, you probably don't need one to begin with. Tritium night sights would do the trick and not give you away.

I prefer the Benelli Nova Tactical 12GA. At night, in your own home you are awaken by a gunshot or some door being kicked in, you won't be able to hit anything that requires you to aim first. The shotgun is a point and shoot, not aim and shoot weapon. Even the manual action of the pump like the Nova would require you to have the mental awareness during duress to chamber another round. That might sound elementary, but try even shooting down range under duress, have someone yelling at you or lift weights, run, do something to get your heart racing and try to remember things like safety and how to actually clear and show safe on a handgun. Many here might be surprised at how inefficient you are under duress. Even police miss over and over during a gunfight even at close range due to the same duress. That's why 90 rounds will be fired by 7 cops and only a couple hit the target.

During a home invasion, you will likely be under duress.

pawe
07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't care for laser grips. They point back at the shooter as well. If you have the mental faculty and time to steady a laser dot during a gun battle, you don't really need one to begin with.

I find my night sights to be still to dim for my eyes on dark rooms.
Also, your trigger finger covers the beam til you're ready to aim and shoot.

Whenever I use my laser grips on one of our local practical pistol matches, it puts a big hit on my time engaging the stage, they said I look like im hunting the laser. But, when we do room clearing drills, that laser is tops.

DMC
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I like that Ed Brown by the way

pawe
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah, nothing beats a custom handgun.

benefactor
07-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I've changed my mind...I want a shotgun now. :)

http://operatorchan.org/k/src/k298016_Kel-Tec_KSG_Shotgun_Oleg_Volk_1.jpg

hi0OWQCkcVc

DMC
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't like the one in the video. I can just see a missing index finger. The one in the pic where the foregrip is located farther back is better.

The sights on the rail are a waste. It's point and shoot. You aren't aiming that thing.

benefactor
07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Agreed. With 15 shots no one is worried about aiming.