PDA

View Full Version : On the coming dynasty

Rummpd
06-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Potential Dynasty in the Spurs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Rumm MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jun 12, 2005, 10:19

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_13040.shtml

Ten Reasons for a Potential Dynasty in the Spurs

Last Thursday night I saw the San Antonio Spurs dig themselves out of a rusty start to outscore a tough Pistons team 81 to 52 on the way to a lopsided game one win in the Finals.

This occurred just about a week after they completed a surprisingly easy series against the run and gun Suns, beating a 60+ win team and first seed at their own game, and in their own house three times in a 4 to 1 series win.

This also followed two series where they handled the surging Denver team with equal ease after an opening day loss, and got through a gritty Sonics team in 6 games.

This run alone through the deep Western Conference playoffs, does not a potential dynasty make, but the Spurs have all the right ingredients to start a serious discussion on that matter.

The following are a listing of ten reasons why I feel in 4-5 years henceforth the Spurs, and not the Lakers, will be considered by far the dominant team of then 99-09 time period, if not a dynasty "for the ages":

1) I expect the Spurs to win this series handily, but if not, at least to win it. This would give them 3 titles in 7 years, the same rate as Larry Bird's Celtics during a similar battle with the Lakers. As basketball fans know the Spurs already own 2 championships in the last six years, "bookending" titles of a great Lakers team that might have truly challenged their dominancy (but broke up rapidly). Perhaps, only a very controversial late shot clock start event on Fisher's 0.4 shot has kept us from discussing the Spur's own "tripeat" chances this year.

2) Look at their recent record in more detail. In Duncan's eight seasons, the Spurs' 438-186 record and .706 winning percentage is not only the best in basketball, it's better than any team in the NBA, NHL, NFL or Major League Baseball in that span. Moreover, Sam Smith wrote a recent column that maintained that Duncan's winning percentage is higher than any other superstar in any sport ever over an similar period of time. Nothing beats a winning organization, add some more titles, one really has to think dynasty.

3) They possess a legit second true star in the making in Manu Ginobli. In reality, there should no surprise to serious fans of the game on this guy. He already has been a European League MVP, the dominant star of last year's Olympic gold team and can truly do it all on both sides of the ball plus seemingly has that extra special "clutchness factor".

4) They have a very strong starting team with enough stars and unselfish role players. Heck the Spur's may have another third legit star in the making. Tony Parker is only 23 still, but holds a ring and is a top tier point guard at the very least. Although he struggles with playoff consistency, he has held his own at times very well in past playoff battles with Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Stephon Marbury, and recently with Steve Nash. He came up big in the decisive 5th game versus the Suns, when they dared him to shoot from outside. He responded in the second half with a quick decisive eight points on jumpers and a three. On a day in a day out basis, no one in the league is seemingly quicker to the hole and he has his tear drop shot down to a science. The Spurs also now seem to have "finally" found the center to step in for David Robinson in Nazr Mohammed, who after a slow start has become an offensive rebounding machine, is playing better defense, and scores enough points to keep defenses honest. Bruce Bowen gets a lot of knocks but he is a two time all NBA defender who in my opinion was the real defensive player of the year. Bowen does not get "love" from the "whinny" Ray Allen or Vince Carter but completely shut down Shaun Marion against the Suns. No surprise there, for he has done it routinely and "frustratingly" against star players the last few years, with his hard nosed defensive style!

5) The Spurs are composed of lots of depth at many positions. In this playoffs, their former starter Rasho Nesterovic has hardly played. However, "Big Shot" Horry is getting many key minutes. Tony Massenburg routinely sits but can still bring occasional needed muscle and hustle. On the slightly smaller side, Devin Brown and Glenn Robinson are swing men who can score and surprisingly, it seems that Robinson can also play defense in the right system. One forgets how good Brown looked this year when healthy. and expect the Spurs to resign him and prep him to potentially replace Bowen down the road. At the guards, Beno Udrih has been a stud as a rookie at point this year. Finally, as almost an after thought is Brent Barry. Barry has had an up and down year but may still turn out to be the great player off the bench the franchise thought they were getting this past summer.

6) The scary thing is that the Spurs will probably get even stronger, probably through their international pipeline. As soon as next season, the Spurs could be ready to add Ginobili's teammate on the Argentina Olympic team, forward Luis Scola. Scola's game has Spurs fans excited and they may be preparing him to eventually succeed Robert Horry. They also hold the rights to Robertus Javtokas, the Lithuanian center who has recovered from a terrible motorcycle accident and was the MVP the recent European championships. They have trade assets like Nesterovic and their 28th position first round draft pick. They also hold the rights to a Russian big man named Sergei Karaulov and Viktor Sanikidze, from Georgia. The latter player is a SF who along with Scola, may very well be on the Spurs next year.

7) They possess in Popovich a coach on the verge of greatness. "JT the Brick" from late night radio said recently he is the best in the business, and many would not argue too much (although Pop would probably state humbly that his good friend Larry Brown has earned that honor). Here is what "JT" stated: "Greg Popovich is the best coach in the NBA now that Phil Jackson is fishing in Montana, and his assistants put in more hours than any other coaching staff in the NBA. They love to teach and stress fundamentals but also have no problem getting into the face of every player on the roster when necessary."

8) Perhaps most importantly, the Spurs stress a true system. Popovich and his colleagues stress consistency, defense first, and a team oriented concept. Somehow (and to their credit) their stars buy into it and have stayed loyal to this Texas team and their coach, turning down offers in many cases to go elsewhere for larger markets or larger immediate "fame".

9) Most franchises would envy their locked up talent. Manu Ginobli just signed out several years, Barry is on a long term contract, and perhaps most importantly, Tony Parker resigned this year to keep core talent around for 4-5 years around a certain other star. Expect the Spurs to try to keep Muhammed and rebuild the team slightly with even more international talent.

10) What else can really be listed but one name, Mr. Tim Duncan! Enough said. Simply put he is the single most important piece and is the best player in the game today. Mr. Duncan brings it on both sides of the ball year in and year out. By the end of this year he will have in almost all certainty three titles, eight first team all star selections, probably three finals MVPs (although Manu Ginobli could surprise here) and multiple defensive first team awards. Mark him down among the games all time best already and he is headed for at least top 5-10 status by end of his gloried career.

This may not be good news for fans of other teams, and marketers that prefer large markets or "flashy" teams, but mark my words. By the end of the decade we will all know that the Spurs and Tim Duncan were around!

News author and exclusive author

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onlineseats.com
your #1 source for
NBA Hoop Tickets
Heat Tickets
Suns Tickets
Bulls Tickets
Cleveland Cavs Tickets
all 30 NBA Teams.