PDA

View Full Version : HDMI DVD Player.

Giuseppe
07-17-2011, 09:06 AM
It says HDMI on the front of the player. Should I be able to play an HD DVD in such a player? It's not a Blue Ray Disc.

It's a 5 Disk Player. I put the disc in, close the drawer. It states that it's loading, but, then after a couple minutes it just moves on to the next disc in the tray.

jman3000
07-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Negative. It'll up convert to a pretty decent image and you won't have to worry about audio jacks... but that's about it I think.

koriwhat
07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Hd dvd isnt the same as dvd. It's a now defunct format.

Sportcamper
07-17-2011, 11:28 AM
HD is a format that Warner Bros & Toshiba created In hopes of upgrading standard DVD's… Toshiba HD players were intended to reproduce both standard DVD discs & HD discs…However upon the launch of HD, Toshiba players were problematic & not up to the impeccable standards that consumers were used to as compared to the original DVD launch over a decade ago…Due to consumer confusion & problematic Toshiba HD players Warner Bros graciously bowed out of HD & backed Sony’s Blu-Ray format…Warner Bros. is the clear leader in home video and digital technology & they wanted to avoid DVD vs. DVX , Sony Betamax vs. VHS, HD vs. Blu Ray format wars…

To answer your question I think you purchased a standard DVD player which came with a HDMI cable…Costco has such players for $40.00…(A great deal)…Standard DVD players do not reproduce Blu-Ray or HD disc’s…:toast

Giuseppe
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Spurtacus
07-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Buy a PS3.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-18-2011, 12:11 PM
HD-DVD lol

Nathan Explosion
07-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I have a Phillips DVD player with HDMI that does a pretty decent job of upconverting. It's not going to be confused with Blu Ray, but the quality does look significantly better than just a standard DVD.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
An HDMI cord doesn't do any upconverting. Neither do DVD players. It may say "upconverting" or whatever but it does not add any lines of resolutions to the display. It maybe just sharpens the picture which you can adjust the setting on any tv.

MannyIsGod
07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
An HDMI cord doesn't do any upconverting. Neither do DVD players. It may say "upconverting" or whatever but it does not add any lines of resolutions to the display. It maybe just sharpens the picture which you can adjust the setting on any tv.

What? I thought most newer DVD programs used algorithms to estimate what should be in the added lines of resolution and thats what up converting was? Am I wrong in assuming that?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
The last I read, which was before the HD format war and HD equipment came out, was that there was no upconverting on DVD players that claimed upconverting. I don't know or havent kept up with it since then but I don't see why a company would waste time and money doing that.

Now, there is upconverting when playing a DVD on a blu-ray player. That I have read. That may be where those algorithms, you speak of, come in to play.

leemajors
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
What? I thought most newer DVD programs used algorithms to estimate what should be in the added lines of resolution and thats what up converting was? Am I wrong in assuming that?

:rollin

Weird that I can pop in my Wire DVDs and see them in HD for the first few seasons. Must be magic - no Blu Ray player involved.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't believe upconverting is necessary with newer TVs. The scaling done by the TV itself should be far superior to any budget player.

Less processing/conversion, the better.

MannyIsGod
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah I don't know.

07-20-2011, 05:31 PM
First time?

MannyIsGod
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
First time?

Really I know but I'm just trying to avoid developing a reputation as a know it all around here. I would HATE for that to happen.

07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Makes sense.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I know it's just killing him :lol

07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
He was right.

But the question simply is which device in the chain does the best scaling. Only way to find that out is by trial and error.

There are some cases where while the TV might yield the best picture, it adds delay/lag which can totally fuck up the audio sync. In a case like this, it is always better to let the standalone do it all, unless of course you have the ability to offset the delay like most AVRs have today.

It's why I always recommend spending a solid day setting up your rig. It's highly doubtful that someone giving advice has the exact same signal chain/set-up as you do.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
He was? I thought we were only talking about DVD players.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
If you’ve ever watched a DVD on a modern computer, you’ve seen upconversion. Most people these days have a monitor at least 1024x768, if not 1600x1200 or higher (and perhaps in widescreen aspect ratios). A standard DVD only has 480 lines (fewer but wider lines if it’s widescreen), so when you go to fullscreen on your computer, your DVD player software is calculating how to "fill in" the pixels between the pixels that are actually defined on the DVD so it can tell your screen what to display there. The effect can cause noticeable blurring on a high resolution display, when compared to how the video looks at its native resolution in windowed mode.

An upconverting DVD player will have some kind of HD video output, probably DVI-D or HDMI. It does not play Blu-ray or HD DVD discs; only standard DVDs. The player contains circuitry to produce an HD resolution video (720p or 1080i, possibly both) from the original NTSC (or perhaps PAL) 480i video on the standard DVD. That circuitry is equivalent to the DVD player software, except that it does the math on a chip whose sole purpose is to do that math, as opposed to doing it on your general purpose CPU.

Since those pixels don’t actually exist in the data, they’re extrapolated using various algorithms, meaning that the quality is not as high as watching an HD version of the same video from a Blu-ray or HD DVD disc. The true HD disc formats are both 1080p, and would not have any slight blurring from the upconversion process.

http://askville.amazon.com/upconverting-DVD-player/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5434097

Nathan Explosion
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
If you’ve ever watched a DVD on a modern computer, you’ve seen upconversion. Most people these days have a monitor at least 1024x768, if not 1600x1200 or higher (and perhaps in widescreen aspect ratios). A standard DVD only has 480 lines (fewer but wider lines if it’s widescreen), so when you go to fullscreen on your computer, your DVD player software is calculating how to "fill in" the pixels between the pixels that are actually defined on the DVD so it can tell your screen what to display there. The effect can cause noticeable blurring on a high resolution display, when compared to how the video looks at its native resolution in windowed mode.

An upconverting DVD player will have some kind of HD video output, probably DVI-D or HDMI. It does not play Blu-ray or HD DVD discs; only standard DVDs. The player contains circuitry to produce an HD resolution video (720p or 1080i, possibly both) from the original NTSC (or perhaps PAL) 480i video on the standard DVD. That circuitry is equivalent to the DVD player software, except that it does the math on a chip whose sole purpose is to do that math, as opposed to doing it on your general purpose CPU.

Since those pixels don’t actually exist in the data, they’re extrapolated using various algorithms, meaning that the quality is not as high as watching an HD version of the same video from a Blu-ray or HD DVD disc. The true HD disc formats are both 1080p, and would not have any slight blurring from the upconversion process.

http://askville.amazon.com/upconverting-DVD-player/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5434097

This. And yes it is noticeable. I didn't really pay attention to the upconverting part when I bought my DVD player as it was late and my old player crapped out. I was wondering around Walmart around midnight and saw a DVD player for $40. When I put in Wall-E for my son the next day, it was then that I noticed that the picture was better. Again, not HD (a movie that I've seen on my DVD player isn't as sharp as the same movie on an HD channel), but it does do a pretty good job. My kids are watching Rango right now, and while the picture isn't 1080p, it looks much better than 480 resolution that the DVD is formatted in.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Well if we're speaking hocus pocus HD then I guess.

Jacob1983
07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Which upgrades a DVD more: Blu Ray player or HDMI DVD player?