PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here been watching Hardwood Classics on NBA TV?

davethedope
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I love it. There were some all-star games this weeked. I'm looking forward to more. I like the 70's a lot. Game hasn't changed much or the announcing.

BlackSwordsMan
07-17-2011, 08:21 PM
game hasn't changed much? If kobe played in the 70's or 80's his flopping bullshit would get him a round kick to the 2nd row

ChuckD
07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm not giving the NBA any Neilsen love. Fuck 'em. I just pass NBATVHD any time I'm guide surfing.

David_Stern
07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I watched a little bit of it.

I sort of agree with you on the game (and players) not changing much. I saw flopping in some of the games I watched. Also, these basketball gods of the past appeared very human. Too many people like to deify past players, when in reality they weren't any better than what we have today. I watched one game where omnipotent players such as Larry Bird couldn't make an open shot to save his life.

It's funny cause in twenty years from now, people will be bitching and moaning about how these were the good old days, and how the game has gone downhill since then.

ElNono
07-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I watched a little bit of it.

I sort of agree with you on the game (and players) not changing much. I saw flopping in some of the games I watched. Also, these basketball gods of the past appeared very human. Too many people like to deify past players, when in reality they weren't any better than what we have today. I watched one game where omnipotent players such as Larry Bird couldn't make an open shot to save his life.

It's funny cause in twenty years from now, people will be bitching and moaning about how these were the good old days, and how the game has gone downhill since then.

And you'll still be the commish...

davethedope
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Got some Wilt this afternoon followed by some Walton if anyone's interested.

Game 5 1972 Finals, Lakes over Knicks

Game 4 1977 Western Conference Finals Portland over Lakers

lefty
07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
game hasn't changed much? If kobe played in the 70's or 80's his flopping bullshit would get him a round kick to the 2nd row
This :lol

davethedope
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are in the Lakers v. Knicks game.

lefty
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are in the Lakers v. Knicks game.
Some great coaches were hard nosed, role players

KFC, Riley, Sloan

Of course, some of them were excellent players as well: Scott Skiles, Larry Bird, Avery Johnson :D

davethedope
07-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Jackson was throwing himself all over the court going up against Chamberlin and everything. Right now, it's Kareem vs. prime MVP Walton, great match up. Lakers
guard play was weak.

lefty
07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Jackson was throwing himself all over the court going up against Chamberlin and everything. Right now, it's Kareem vs. prime MVP Walton, great match up. Lakers
guard play was weak.
Iit game 4 of the 1987 finals?

davethedope
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
No, 77 Western Confernce finals. They're playing game 6 '77 finals now.

lefty
07-18-2011, 07:56 PM
No, 77 Western Confernce finals. They're playing game 6 '77 finals now.

ok

Jacob1983
07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
It must have sucked not having the 3 point line back in the day. It didn't matter where you shot the ball, it was only going to count for 2 unless you got and an 1.

JoeTait75
07-19-2011, 09:02 AM
guard play was weak.

Kermit Washington's injury killed the Lake Show in the '77 WCF. Maurice Lucas just shit all over Don Ford.

lefty
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Kermit Washington's injury killed the Lake Show in the '77 WCF. Maurice Lucas just shit all over Don Ford.
http://johnbeilein.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/RudyTomjanovich.jpg

davethedope
07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Today is Lakers/Celtics fight game, 1984 Finals, Rambis clothesline, lol.

davethedope
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Got Pistons Lakers Final 1988 today. Easily in the top 5 of best finals ever.

davethedope
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
If not the best finals I've ever seen, game 6 and game 7, unforgettable.

stretch
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
there is some truth, and some untruth to the statements that the game hasnt changed much

it hasnt changed much in that the people who claim the 80s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> modern era are morons because they massively overrate guys like Magic and Bird due to nostalgia. Magic and Bird have great historical significance and accomplishments, and are two of the 5 greatest players ever, but in terms of individual basketball playing ability, its arguable they might not even be top 5 in the NBA today.

but strategy and playing styles most definitely has changed a lot.

lefty
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
there is some truth, and some untruth to the statements that the game hasnt changed much

it hasnt changed much in that the people who claim the 80s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> modern era are morons because they massively overrate guys like Magic and Bird due to nostalgia. Magic and Bird have great historical significance and accomplishments, and are two of the 5 greatest players ever, but in terms of individual basketball playing ability, its arguable they might not even be top 5 in the NBA today.

but strategy and playing styles most definitely has changed a lot.
what?

davethedope
08-16-2011, 12:00 PM
what?

That's what I'm saying. What? Magic and Larry could ball.
That's why watching these games is so interested. I mean, sure, 1960's ball and early 70's is a bit different, or the pre- Dr. J era, but they made shots, you know. And calling Magic overrate is just ignorant.

stretch
08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
what?

not saying that they werent great, if you read the rest of my post. but there are people who say "no one in the league today is remotely good of basketball players as Bird or Magic!!!!! they never missed a shot or turned the ball over in their entire career!" or then the MJ lovers "MJ would score 500 points and kobe would score zero if they played a game of one-on-one!!!"

great players no question, but they werent as flawless as some people try to make them out to be

stretch
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
That's what I'm saying. What? Magic and Larry could ball.
That's why watching these games is so interested. I mean, sure, 1960's ball and early 70's is a bit different, or the pre- Dr. J era, but they made shots, you know. And calling Magic overrate is just ignorant.

didnt say he was overrated. your lack of reading comprehension is the only ignorance here. i was talking specifically about people who live in nostalgia and think 80s basketball is the greatest thing ever and that every player was like Jesus

lefty
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
not saying that they werent great, if you read the rest of my post. but there are people who say "no one in the league today is remotely good of basketball players as Bird or Magic!!!!! they never missed a shot or turned the ball over in their entire career!" or then the MJ lovers "MJ would score 500 points and kobe would score zero if they played a game of one-on-one!!!"

great players no question, but they werent as flawless as some people try to make them out to be
Well, nobody is perfect

Magic had a high turnover rate

Larry had some shitty shooting nights

Jordan became a team player when Cartwright threatened him to break his legs, not when KFC took over

But they were more versatile than today's best players

stretch
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, nobody is perfect

Magic had a high turnover rate

Larry had some shitty shooting nights

Jordan became a team player when Cartwright threatened him to break his legs, not when KFC took over

But they were more versatile than today's best players

what makes them so much more versatile than Lebron, Wade, and Kobe?

id say they are all quite comparable in versatility, and its certainly arguable that Lebron is the most versatile player of them all.

lefty
08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

id say they are all quite comparable in versatility, and its certainly arguable that Lebron is the most versatile player of them all.
Larry Bird scored left handed baskets :D

Magic played 5 positions

Jordan was a waaaaaaaaaaaay better defensive player than Lebron and Kobe combined

(and I dont care what the ESPN nutjobs say about Lebron being a great defensive player, he is way overrated in that department)

z0sa
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I watch em anytime I can. Usually late nights/early mornings with a buzz

davethedope
08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
didnt say he was overrated. your lack of reading comprehension is the only ignorance here. i was talking specifically about people who live in nostalgia and think 80s basketball is the greatest thing ever and that every player was like Jesus

I dunno if it's living in nostalgia or that we saw some incredible basketball
and some great drama.

Have there been so many rival hall of famers since.

And you have to respect the continuity.

You have the Lakers dominate the west for an entire decade.

You have an east that sees Celtic dominance challenged and eventually surpassed by Pistons dominance, which is challenged and eventually surpassed by Bulls dominance.

That leads to the Jordan decade.

That leads to the start of the lockout decade, it started in lockout and is ending in a lockout.

I think you can compare decades by the number of hall of famers and all time
stats leaders it produced.

stretch
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM

so does kobe. and wade. and lebron. and dirk. and nash. and plenty of other players.

Magic played 5 positions

ill give him 4, but everyone knows he couldnt play center worth a shit. the finals appearance where he took over at "center" for kareem in game 7 was so fucking overblown its not even funny. dude played like 2 minutes at center.

bron can and does play 4 positions too.

Jordan was a waaaaaaaaaaaay better defensive player than Lebron and Kobe combined

no

better? sure i can give him that, but its not nearly as big of a gap as you suggest.

and I dont care what the ESPN nutjobs say about Lebron being a great defensive player, he is way overrated in that department

Lebron is a helluva defensive player. This is just the Lebron hater in you speaking. Dude plays incredible defense.

z0sa
08-16-2011, 04:06 PM
i see that now that they've beaten lebron, mavfan is less butthurt about how he didn't even consider joining their team.

stretch
08-16-2011, 04:42 PM
i see that now that they've beaten lebron, mavfan is less butthurt about how he didn't even consider joining their team.

i see you still chug on loads of weiner

Deuce Bigalow
08-16-2011, 04:47 PM
they got to show the Lakers destroying the Spurs the past decade
01 WCF, 02 WCSF, 04 WCSF, 08 WCF

how is this game not played
http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Gomez/fisher-4.jpg

JoeTait75
08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Lebron is a helluva defensive player. This is just the Lebron hater in you speaking. Dude plays incredible defense.

When he commits to defense there's no one better. The commitment isn't there each and every night. But when he wants to be he's awesome, and he's more versatile than Jordan was, too. I've seen him lock down anyone from Tony Parker to Chris Bosh.

stretch
08-16-2011, 05:16 PM
When he commits to defense there's no one better. The commitment isn't there each and every night. But when he wants to be he's awesome, and he's more versatile than Jordan was, too. I've seen him lock down anyone from Tony Parker to Chris Bosh.

+1

ive never seen someone as good defensively as Bron when he is putting 100% effort. but considering how he usually has to carry the team on offense (less load in miami though, which has led to more consistent defensive effort), he obviously can't put forth that much effort all the time.

Killakobe81
08-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Maybe. There are not a lot of great perimeter defenders right now, so you maybe right he is the best. But like MJ, i do think he is overrated on defense. But as many have said he does carry a huge burden on offense. Most of the better defenders of recent years Bowen, young artest etc. are defenders first.

I think he is amazing on defense when focused, but talk of him in the convo with Dwight howard for DPOY is ludicrous. Howard plays with shitty defenders like Nelson and Reddick yet that team is not easy to score against.

Lebron is probably the only player I would trade Dwight straight up for, but that is for offense and "potential" ... if i needed defense Id rather have Dwight.

Fabbs
08-17-2011, 10:16 AM

Yep. When you have a triple double in a Finals game and get shat on for choking, in a sense it shows how good you really are.

KoBitch goes 6-24 and his knobslobbing followers/media worship.

JoeTait75
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Lebron is probably the only player I would trade Dwight straight up for, but that is for offense and "potential" ... if i needed defense Id rather have Dwight.

Dewey's penchant for braindead fouls should count against him in this conversation, tbh.

lefty
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
DVR'ed some Lakers-Pistons and Celtics-Hawks

Yes :D

JoeTait75
08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
They have a ton of these games on Youtube too, in their entirety. The NBA is WAY ahead of the NFL in terms of allowing their classic games to be shown on Youtube.

Killakobe81
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM

Magic played 5 positions

(and I dont care what the ESPN nutjobs say about Lebron being a great defensive player, he is way overrated in that department)

I agree he is very good. But overrated on defense. In fact since Bowen retired and artest went crazy I dont think we truly have a conistently great perimeter defender in the NBA ....

Kobe could play elite defense at times like in the 2008 Olympics, Lebron has had his moments as well. But come on, people act like Lebron is vintage Pippen or Rodman and he is nether. But to be fair he is a greater player than both but defensively he is not close to that class of player ... (kobe is not that either BTW)

lefty
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
They have a ton of these games on Youtube too, in their entirety. The NBA is WAY ahead of the NFL in terms of allowing their classic games to be shown on Youtube.
Yep, i think it's great
(Although I prefer to watch them on TV)

davethedope
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Today at 2:00 pm it's Spurs vs. Nuggets 1985 first round game 2, George Gervin scores 41

Anyone remember this?

lefty
09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Today at 2:00 pm it's Spurs vs. Nuggets 1985 first round game 2, George Gervin scores 41

Anyone remember this?
No.