PDA

View Full Version : Borders officially dead

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/18/news/companies/borders_liquidation/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=hp_bn3

hopefully the workers can get away with a nice haul

DMC
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
fuck books

shyne
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought it was better than barnes and noble, oh well. They had better coffee too

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
I thought it was better than barnes and noble, oh well. They had better coffee too

lol its the same coffee

DMX7
07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
This is sad. I like Borders.

PublicOption
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
pretty soon book stores are gonna be those little hidden away stores in the corner of malls again like they used to be.

like Walden's

shyne
07-18-2011, 09:45 PM
lol its the same coffee

Borders had Seattle's Best and I think Barnes and Noble had Starbucks

IronMexican
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Borders had Seattle's Best and I think Barnes and Noble had Starbucks

Pretty sure that's the same coffee.

IronMaxipad
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM

It's not.

shyne
07-18-2011, 09:52 PM

lol I dont know why that shit taste different to me then.

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2011, 09:52 PM
starbucks owns seattles best

IronMaxipad
07-18-2011, 09:55 PM
lol I dont know why that shit taste different to me then.

yeah it does. I prefer Seattle best tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
fck the workers, whattabout the ppl who has them vouchers thats not refundable...fck that

LnGrrrR
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Damn. I loved Borders. They had 30 and 40% off coupons all the time.

LnGrrrR
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Guess I'll be hitting up the local stores soon and seeing if I can grab some stuff on the cheap.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Damn. I loved Borders. They had 30 and 40% off coupons all the time.

And shit was usually still more expensive than Amazon.

IronMaxipad
07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
They need to stop selling all there shit at MSRP tbh. A dvd for a 10 year old movie is still like 30 bucks at borders. :lol

ashbeeigh
07-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Gah. The one at Huebner Oaks was nice and the one at the Quarry was nice as well. Now I'm going to have to go to La Cantera for anything reading related.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 01:46 AM
They need to stop selling all there shit at MSRP tbh. A dvd for a 10 year old movie is still like 30 bucks at borders. :lol

Thats my main problem with them. Amazon is king so they have to think of a new way to do things. I'm not surprised no one wanted to buy them.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 06:44 AM
While I like Amazon I still enjoy going to a bookstore and browsing and I'd still much rather have a real book than a kindle. Sucks.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
While I like Amazon I still enjoy going to a bookstore and browsing and I'd still much rather have a real book than a kindle. Sucks.

I know most people make fun of you for being various things etc. but this is not one of those attempts.

I am curious as to what it is about a book that you like over a kindle or nook? This seems like one of those rare times in history where the advance in technology takes all of the good qualities with it as it progresses.

Dr. Gonzo
07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I know most people make fun of you for being various things etc. but this is not one of those attempts.

I am curious as to what it is about a book that you like over a kindle or nook? This seems like one of those rare times in history where the advance in technology takes all of the good qualities with it as it progresses.

Not all of the good qualities. Many people enjoy the smell and feel of new books. That can't be replaced by any technological advance.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 08:23 AM

I've been a reader since I can remember and I simply like a book better than a kindle. Perhaps it is because of my age. My kids don't remember the days of not having the internet, or TV, video games, etc. Now if someone gave me a kindle or nook as a present I'd probably use it but I'm not going to go out and buy one. Give me a real book or newspaper and that will suit me just fine. I have reading material with me at all times because if I'm waiting...I'm reading and would rather do that than use my cell phone or the internet. I don't have a smart phone or web service and don't live through it like many I know. I still use a pen and pencil and a legal pad all the time for notes and I still use a paper planner. I'm just old school to be honest.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Not all of the good qualities. Many people enjoy the smell and feel of new books. That can't be replaced by any technological advance.

I know the smell of which you speak, though I have noticed it, I haven't noticed it being gone with my nook. I can, however see how someone else may miss it.

Oh, and though it wont be replaced, it could be replaced by technological advance.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I've been a reader since I can remember and I simply like a book better than a kindle. Perhaps it is because of my age. My kids don't remember the days of not having the internet, or TV, video games, etc. Now if someone gave me a kindle or nook as a present I'd probably use it but I'm not going to go out and buy one. Give me a real book or newspaper and that will suit me just fine. I have reading material with me at all times because if I'm waiting...I'm reading and would rather do that than use my cell phone or the internet. I don't have a smart phone or web service and don't live through it like many I know. I still use a pen and pencil and a legal pad all the time for notes and I still use a paper planner. I'm just old school to be honest.

I understand being old school and a lot of people do that because there is something about the new way which is lacking. What specifically does the ereader not offer that a book does?

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I understand being old school and a lot of people do that because there is something about the new way which is lacking. What specifically does the ereader not offer that a book does?

Quite simply..it is not a book. It doesn't feel, smell or get those dog eared pages of a book. And yeah, I do keep almost all the books I read and have them in a book shelf. I've re-read some of them but most of them I haven't but each book brings back a memory of the time I spent while reading it. Sounds funny or weird but it just is that way for me.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok, that answers my question. I thought it may include the feel of it. I was going to counter with the fact that the feel of holding the book is easily mimicked with certain cases, but there is nothing on the market which sprays that "new book smell" or allows you to dog-ear the silicon that the cpu is made of (maybe later models). As far as keeping books, you are able to do this with the kindle, but with more room for other stuff to be in your house.

hater
07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
kindle is cool. even on my mobile. But I agree sometimes you need a physical book. But books will start to become rarities.

Mail is gone
Books are gone
Physically recorded media(cds/dvds) is going away pretty soon

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Ok, that answers my question. I thought it may include the feel of it. I was going to counter with the fact that the feel of holding the book is easily mimicked with certain cases, but there is nothing on the market which sprays that "new book smell" or allows you to dog-ear the silicon that the cpu is made of (maybe later models). As far as keeping books, you are able to do this with the kindle, but with more room for other stuff to be in your house.

Yeah, you can store books on a kindle but it doesn't have the same look as books on a book shelf. I felt the same way when music went from LP's to CD's. CD's were much clearer but I missed that crackling sound of playing an LP. I still enjoy the sound of an LP on the turntable.

Giuseppe
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
And yeah, I do keep almost all the books I read and have them in a book shelf. I've re-read some of them but most of them I haven't but each book brings back a memory of the time I spent while reading it. Sounds funny or weird but it just is that way for me.

JoeChalupa

baseline bum
07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

I like being able to write notes in my books as well as cross out and correct errors.

cantthinkofanything
07-19-2011, 10:03 AM

I've got a Kindle and love it. But in some books, there are passages that are already underlined. I know I can turn this off somehow but it's irritating as hell that that was the default.

For books that I really enjoy, I ususally try to also pick up the hardcover just in case the government decides what I can and can't read.

Giuseppe
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I ususally try to also pick up the hardcover just in case the government decides what I can and can't read.

cantthinkofanything

mrsmaalox
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I like Borders, but I bought a lot more than just books there. For many years, they were my main source for world music. And they have a nice selection of non-book gifts, especially at the holidays. But for actual books I buy mostly from Half Price Books, which just happens to have opened a new store right in my neighborhood.

I don't have a problem reading on a Kindle at all. I have been able to do everything on a Kindle (mark pages, make notes) that I do on a book; plus I don't understand the appeal of keeping every book I read so it's better for me that way. But there are a few things I rather have on paper like an atlas, poetry, do it yourself/home improvement/home decorating, and of course the puzzle books.

baseline bum
07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
My notes often have equations and such... unless a kindle can support TeX notes, it's not even close for me.

CuckingFunt
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
The appeal of real books is more than the smell, though that's definitely part of it. I don't own a Kindle, but I've read a bit on a friend's and it was nice. More comfortable than I expected, actually. However, I missed the ritual of reading. Neither is better or worse, necessarily, but there is a big difference in the feel of scrolling/swiping vs. physically turning a page, and given a choice I prefer the latter.

It's similar, for me, to reading a newspaper. I've almost completely moved online for that just because it is so much easier, but I miss the ritual (the sound, the feel, etc.) of unfolding and refolding the pages as you go through. Not only that, but I read less of the paper online than I do when I'm holding the actual newspaper. Being digital makes me more prone to picking and choosing based on headlines, which I think it unfortunate.

cantthinkofanything
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I missed the ritual of reading. Neither is better or worse, necessarily, but there is a big difference in the feel of scrolling/swiping vs. physically turning a page, and given a choice I prefer the latter.

I'm the same way. What I do now is hold my Kindle in my left hand and hold an old paperback in my right. Whenever it's time to go to the next page on the Kindle, I turn a page in the "real" book in my right hand. Really satifsying.

cantthinkofanything
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
My notes often have equations and such... unless a kindle can support TeX notes, it's not even close for me.

Me too. What I do now is have a stack of Post-Its next to me at all times. When I want to take notes or insert an equation, I put it on one of the Post-Its. On the Post-It, I note the font and location per the Kindle. Then I stick the Post-It on the back of the Kindle. I also underline the passage in the Kindle so I know there is a corresponding note. Viola.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I like Borders, but I bought a lot more than just books there. For many years, they were my main source for world music. And they have a nice selection of non-book gifts, especially at the holidays. But for actual books I buy mostly from Half Price Books, which just happens to have opened a new store right in my neighborhood.

I don't have a problem reading on a Kindle at all. I have been able to do everything on a Kindle (mark pages, make notes) that I do on a book; plus I don't understand the appeal of keeping every book I read so it's better for me that way. But there are a few things I rather have on paper like an atlas, poetry, do it yourself/home improvement/home decorating, and of course the puzzle books.

Yeah, most don't get why I save my books either. :lol Again, they just have a memory for me that I enjoy. But for me I just don't get the appeal of reading on line but I'm sure I will eventually by force.

And as CF said, I simply enjoy reading a real newspaper as opposed to online and read more of it as well.

Das Texan
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Borders ultimately fucked themselves with a failed and archaic business model.

Why buy something at Borders that is priced for less at Amazon? What is it other than a physical presence that would make me want to shop there? And we arent talking about pennies above Amazon in most cases but a few bucks.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Amazon just sent out an email about renting Textbooks for the Kindle. If they have at least two of my books I'm getting a Kindle and renting them.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Borders ultimately fucked themselves with a failed and archaic business model.

Why buy something at Borders that is priced for less at Amazon? What is it other than a physical presence that would make me want to shop there? And we arent talking about pennies above Amazon in most cases but a few bucks.

I concur. But I always buy from the clearance rack and that is why I won't pay $10 for a movie when I can just wait and watch it for $1. Half-price books is where I go.

baseline bum
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Amazon just sent out an email about renting Textbooks for the Kindle. If they have at least two of my books I'm getting a Kindle and renting them.

http://library.nu

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah - none are available yet. Damn it.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
http://library.nu

They never have any of mine. It sucks.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM

That is what sucks, I want to keep my textbooks, but I want them in e-format. Unfortunately if you buy the e-book it is only about 15% less than a new physical textbook. Since I can get a used one for 30% of the cost of a new physical textbook, it doesn't make sense to get the e-book.

However the e-book is far more efficient. Not only is it less weight (by far), but it is also searchable which is a huge plus for me. I would install the kindle app on my nook if amazon had reasonably priced e-texts.

leemajors
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

I read anywhere from 2-4 books a week and I have no interest whatsoever in a kindle or any other e-reader. I know I could just download any book if I had one but it still has no appeal to me. I like having the book in my hands and turning the pages. I don't bend covers, dogear pages, or break the spines of my books. I can't stand people who do that.

I. Hustle
07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
2-3 books a week? When do you make time for TV and video games?

Isitjustme?
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
This thread is spectacularly bland. "I like real books because I can hold them in my hands."

Good Lord.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
This thread is spectacularly bland. "I like real books because I can hold them in my hands."

Good Lord.

This right here is the thing that can be 100% simulated (book style case, and if you have to have the feel of glossy cardboard, that can be glued onto the case). Real Page flipping, finger-drier-outers, and paper smell perfume have not been added (and cant easily be added).

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
That is what sucks, I want to keep my textbooks, but I want them in e-format. Unfortunately if you buy the e-book it is only about 15% less than a new physical textbook. Since I can get a used one for 30% of the cost of a new physical textbook, it doesn't make sense to get the e-book.

However the e-book is far more efficient. Not only is it less weight (by far), but it is also searchable which is a huge plus for me. I would install the kindle app on my nook if amazon had reasonably priced e-texts.

Tired of carrying books around. I'd probably buy an ebook just for the sake of never having to carry it if I could. I have a 5lb laptop and then you factor in several more textbooks and its just ridiculous on some days.

Drachen
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Tired of carrying books around. I'd probably buy an ebook just for the sake of never having to carry it if I could. I have a 5lb laptop and then you factor in several more textbooks and its just ridiculous on some days.

I agree I have a 17 inch asus laptop, and along with textbooks, my backpack weighs a ton. I really need to just shove a bluetooth keyboard into my backpack and use my nook color to take notes.

baseline bum
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Stop being such a pussy. Back in my day I had to carry 1000 page calc textbooks (both semesters!), physics and chem books+lab manuals + lab coat and finally a fat CRC book of integrals and logarithms in my pack uphill through the snow both ways in 100 degree heat.

cantthinkofanything
07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Stop being such a pussy. Back in my day I had to carry 1000 page calc textbooks (both semesters!), physics and chem books+lab manuals + lab coat and finally a fat CRC book of integrals and logarithms in my pack uphill through the snow both ways in 100 degree heat.

Me too. But then I created a robot that could do all that for me.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2011, 02:52 PM

LOL

My calc texts are the ones that are really fucking heavy usually. Even the international versions. I have no idea what to expect from my physics book this coming semester. My Chem book was an ebook - best book ever.

Also, you forgot to add that you were carrying you're old apple IIe also.

AmericanPsycho
07-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Having books at home can benefit your child's literacy.

easjer
07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I read iBooks on my iPod, but it's teeny. I love the convenience of being able to carry it everywhere, and always having a great library of my favorites at my disposal. I am less happy about having essentially bought the same book twice. I've considered getting an iPad just because I've built up my iBook library so much and the iPod isn't the best option for reading, particularly with my poor eyesight.

That said, I love books. I love having them on the shelf, returning to them, holding them. I keep and frequently re-read books. In fact, it's gotten to the point that I HAVE to get rid of some, and it's an awful decision. Hate that.

I am seriously bummed about Borders. I shopped there frequently, for many things. There is a location near us I've been going to for years and I am upset it's going to close. The spot is a great retail spot - it's always busy - so I'm hopeful it's on the list that B&N are looking at. Not much as soothing as a long browse through a bookstore on a rainy or lazy afternoon. . .

easjer
07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Having books at home can benefit your child's literacy.

I think there is truth in this.

I also know for a fact that the number of books my parents had around directly contributed my interests in a variety of subjects, because I was allowed to explore them. An eReader just isn't the same for that.

Also, seriously, what are we going to do when the nuclear attack/emp/apocalypse comes and there is no more electricity or internet? Then the books will be helpful, until you burn them for heat.

baseline bum
07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I think there is truth in this.

I also know for a fact that the number of books my parents had around directly contributed my interests in a variety of subjects, because I was allowed to explore them. An eReader just isn't the same for that.

Also, seriously, what are we going to do when the nuclear attack/emp/apocalypse comes and there is no more electricity or internet? Then the books will be helpful, until you burn them for heat.

:lol

Living in Houston??????

symple19
07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
So long as the Joseph Beth sticks around in Lexington, I'm good. Count me as one of those who likes something with paper. I've been stockpiling hardbacks for years in anticipation of my dream study, where I can read, sip scotch, and smoke stogies while surrounded by a floor to ceiling collection.

My favorite places,though, are still secondhand bookstores and the secondhand section of the library. I can roll up in that bitch and walk out with 10 paperbacks for 10 bucks. Yeeyuh

While younger gens will continue to turn to electronic means of reading, there will still be bookstores and libraries around for many, many years. I'm not worried

cantthinkofanything
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
My favorite places,though, are still secondhand bookstores and the secondhand section of the library. I can roll up in that bitch and walk out with 10 paperbacks for 10 bucks. Yeeyuh

You hit on a major gripe I have with the Kindle. In some cases, I'm still paying $15 or so for a book.

DJ Mbenga
07-20-2011, 01:51 AM
damn. now it cant serve as my air conditioner magazine wait till the movie starts place anymore.

easjer
07-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Living in Houston??????

Naturally, I'm assuming a nuclear winter will necessitate the burning of books, and picture myself sobbing and reading Pride and Prejudice one last time before I consign it to the flames of necessity and practicality.

In reality, should such an event come to be, I expect Houston will have been wiped off the map. . . so . . . yeah.

On the bright side, it will no longer matter that one of my favorite bookstores/locations is closing, right?