PDA

View Full Version : France gets insurance so Parker, others to play in EuroBasket

eric365
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
France is going to have one very good team at FIBA’s EuroBasket, where the 2012 London Olympic qualifying takes place.

And it’s all due to their ability to purchase insurance.

Due to the NBA lockout guys with NBA contracts no longer have insurance when they play international competitions. If countries don’t get the insurance, key guys don’t play. In the case of Spain (with about six guys) the cost was rumored to be more than $6 million due to having to insure existing NBA deals (and the Gasol brother are not cheap). The French insurance was not inexpensive but was a little less than that.

The French have a number of players in the NBA — Tony Parker, the point guard of the Spurs, plus Ronny Turiaf, Nicolas Batum and maybe Joakim Noah (depends on a medial report). Mickael Pietrus is out due to failing to pass the physical.

EuroBasket will have two guaranteed spots in the London Olympics (only England as host and the USA as World Championship winners have qualified) plus they will send multiple teams to the qualifying tournament in London just before the games.

NBA Commissioner David Stern and the head of FIBA met this week, and if you don’t think insurance came up you probably think the tooth fairy still pays to collect rotting teeth.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/france-gets-insurance-so-parker-others-to-play-in-eurobasket/

eric365
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
So now we are sure. He will play

It will be some bball to watch this summer and he will have time to rest during the lockout :toast

dylankerouac
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Will this be something ESPN covers? I'm interested in watching this.

joshdaboss
07-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Odom isn't getting any younger, even if Odom was 27 or 28 and Hill was still here, I'm not sure I'd take it. Parker for Bynum I would do.

Bruno
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
French federation has done a great job at managing the whole insurance issue. Props to them.

lefty
07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
french federation has done a great job at managing the whole insurance issue. Props to them.
+1

Bukefal
07-22-2011, 02:53 AM
France has a solid team every year, but its a shame they never manage to do something significant.

maybe this time, would be nice

Anyone going to Lithuania?

Mal
07-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Gortat is also going to play

Cane
07-22-2011, 10:31 AM
IIRC Joakim Noah got sent home for rehab on a NBA injury that didn't properly heal in Spring or some shit. Godspeed Frenchies.

Ozzy
07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
French federation has done a great job at managing the whole insurance issue. Props to them.

Congrats. Great to hear.

Side note: FIBA officials, on the other hand, keep on sticking their heads up their asses. Despite the request from FIBA Europe and pretty much all of the teams they decided teams can bring only 12 players to Eurobasket.

Mal
07-22-2011, 03:30 PM
France has a solid team every year, but its a shame they never manage to do something significant.

maybe this time, would be nice

Anyone going to Lithuania?

I was considering it, cause I have family near Lithuanian border, but Poland is playing too far away from there, to drive for a game and then comeback in one day

Bruno
07-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Gortat is also going to play

Teams in Europe shouldn't have troubles insuring their NBA players. They have all negotiate together with FIBA Europe's insurance company and have been able to divide insurance costs by 4 with this move.

The problem could be for teams outside Europe like Argentina or the Dominican Republic.

Mal
07-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Teams in Europe shouldn't have troubles insuring their NBA players. They have all negotiate together with FIBA Europe's insurance company and have been able to divide insurance costs by 4 with this move.

The problem could be for teams outside Europe like Argentina or the Dominican Republic.

Good that Fiba Europe took some responsibility to deal with this problem.

Germany will be with Kaman and Nowitzki

will_spurs
07-24-2011, 02:49 PM
IIRC Joakim Noah got sent home for rehab on a NBA injury that didn't properly heal in Spring or some shit. Godspeed Frenchies.

I think this is part of the trust relationship the French NT officials are trying to build with NBA teams. It's not often that NT doctors find something wrong that the NBA docs have not found, and inform the NBA team (or due to the lockout, the player's agent) so that something can be done about it.

DPG21920
07-24-2011, 05:16 PM
For some reason France always looks good on paper, but they fail to produce at a really high level. It's really confusing.

Bruno
07-24-2011, 05:45 PM
The main reason why FNT has failed to get great results is because they lack of quality bigmen. Hopefully, Noah will be able to solve that.

DPG21920
07-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Noah should be a big help. Ronny has great energy and is active (he even has a very solid mid-range jump shot), but overall, their bigs aren't very good.

Cane
07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
France also don't really have a superstar type of player or much in the way of legit star bball players either. They also don't seem to be the most durable bunch.

I think this is part of the trust relationship the French NT officials are trying to build with NBA teams. It's not often that NT doctors find something wrong that the NBA docs have not found, and inform the NBA team (or due to the lockout, the player's agent) so that something can be done about it.

Interesting. For Noah hopefully it was the injuries that held him back because he really wasn't very good towards the 2nd half of the season.

will_spurs
07-25-2011, 02:55 AM
For some reason France always looks good on paper, but they fail to produce at a really high level. It's really confusing.

They always look good on paper until... the bigs aren't released by their teams in the end... a couple key players get injured 2 days before the start of the competition... the end of the bench is actually not that good at all.

Even right now it's not clear that Noah will play.

TJastal
07-25-2011, 03:08 AM
France also don't really have a superstar type of player or much in the way of legit star bball players either. They also don't seem to be the most durable bunch.

Interesting. For Noah hopefully it was the injuries that held him back because he really wasn't very good towards the 2nd half of the season.

Yupper, yas gots to haves the supahstahs like the Wayydes & Lebrahns tah wins it alls.

Bukefal
07-25-2011, 05:12 AM
I was considering it, cause I have family near Lithuanian border, but Poland is playing too far away from there, to drive for a game and then comeback in one day

Yeah, its too far away without taking some days off. I was thinking about going. Not sure yet. Macedonia is playing Greece again, I really want to be there :)

Cane
07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
France doesn't even have someone as good as Pau Gasol, they've always been overrated even on paper. And you do need a legit star player to win it all tbh like Dirk showed and the Heat got to the Finals through talent alone.

TJastal
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
France doesn't even have someone as good as Pau Gasol, they've always been overrated even on paper. And you do need a legit star player to win it all tbh like Dirk showed and the Heat got to the Finals through talent alone.

So Tony Parker doesn't even qualify as a legit "star" talent in your grading system? Hell, I don't even like the guy much anymore and I would at least give him that benchmark (when healthy).

Cane
07-25-2011, 09:30 AM
So Tony Parker doesn't even qualify as a legit "star" talent in your grading system? Hell, I don't even like the guy much anymore and I would at least give him that (when healthy).

Did you even watch the first round? Hell no he's not a legit star. Tbh Jameer and Ryan Anderson for him isn't as bad as the Parker homers make it either :downspin: Needs a couple of picks too though.

TJastal
07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Did you even watch the first round? Hell no he's not a legit star. Tbh Jameer and Ryan Anderson for him isn't as bad as the Parker homers make it either :downspin: Needs a couple of picks too though.

I guess we have different views of what a legit "star" player is. I guess I feel that label would ensconce a typical 2nd, 3rd, or maybe 4th best player on a team.

Cane
07-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I guess we have different views of what a legit "star" player is. I guess I feel that label would ensconce a typical 2nd, 3rd, or maybe 4th best player on a team.

Star player = Dirk, Wade, etc

Not a star = Tony Parker, rest of France bball, etc

mathbzh
07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Star player = Dirk, Wade, etc

Not a star = Tony Parker, rest of France bball, etc

By your ranking Dirk is the only star in Europe. And I don't think Germany has so many European titles. In 2004 USA had the best PF ever and... you know what happened.

Bruno
07-25-2011, 12:03 PM
^ Haters gonna hate.

And I like people talking about French basketball while knowing almost nothing about it.

Cane
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Yea I'm not much of a fan of Parker's but don't get me wrong he used to be a star player until he lost some of his speed and arguably his composure too. Maybe with less drama in the next season he'll be able to carry the Spurs like they need the youngest member of the Big 3 to do.

By your ranking Dirk is the only star in Europe. And I don't think Germany has so many European titles. In 2004 USA had the best PF ever and... you know what happened.

If Pau Gasol returns to form he'll be another one.

Manu was a star player then and can be if he's healthy which is a longshot in the NBA. Who on Team France rivals 04 Manu, Scola, their chemistry, etc?

sinok
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
France won tonight against a lacking and feeble canadian team... Nothing to see here...
106-44
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/BasketFicheMatch35836.html

eric365
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
France Canada 106-44 (55-17 in the first half :wow):
- Canada is the worst team I ever saw in my life
- De colo was starting and played well
- Parker focused more on defense and passing than usual
- Diaw, Turiaf, Seraphin looked very good but the Canada's bigs are horrible

And Parker used with Batum the alley-oop play he used to do with RJ at the beginning of the season

elemento
07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
How did the french team start ?

Parker
De Colo
Batum
Diaw
Turiaf
?

Josepatches_
07-30-2011, 08:40 PM
To me TP is clearly a legit star but he could be a better NBA player than FIBA player.

In Europe it's hard to go to the hoop because we use more zone defenses
It was one the biggest problem of the USA basketball team in 2002,2004 or 2006 when they were defeated.They didn't have outside shooters to open the zone. You can have the best TD of his career but he needs space to score.

It's hard to imagine a guard without a good JS being a big star in europe.Of course they are slower,smaller and whatever you want than NBA guards.Only a few of them could play in the NBA some minutes.But surely they can shoot better than a lof ot NBA guards,even some starters.

For example Louis Bullock or Juan Carlos Navarro.

And we know Tony is a different player if he can't score in the paint.

Different rules,different basketball.
Tony is not as dominant as Gasol,Manu or Nowitzki can be in FIBA basketball.