PDA

View Full Version : Heads will explode...

ChuckD
07-21-2011, 06:39 PM
http://wagesofwins.net/2011/07/20/the-coach-is-wrong/
:lol:rollin

DMC
07-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Funny, but also misleading.

ChuckD
07-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Funny, but also misleading.

How so? It's pretty cut and dried, a simple slope graph of player productivity (WS/48) versus allotted playing time. Do you actually have a complaint other than Pop was #3 among coaches in the league last year?

Dex
07-21-2011, 08:52 PM
How so? It's pretty cut and dried, a simple slope graph of player productivity (WS/48) versus allotted playing time. Do you actually have a complaint other than Pop was #3 among coaches in the league last year?

I still reserve the right to bitch about Bonner.

I'm not saying I know more than Pop, or that he shouldn't be coach, but...c'mon....it's Bonner.

bobby4germany
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
I still reserve the right to bitch about Bonner.

I'm not saying I know more than Pop, or that he shouldn't be coach, but...c'mon....it's Bonner.

Pop is always right!

:worthy::pop:

ChuckD
07-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Pop is always right!

:worthy::pop:

No, but his player moves correlate to WS/48 61% of the time. Considering that the figure for all coaches for the 30+ year figure was a barely above random 32%, that's pretty good.

ElNono
07-21-2011, 11:48 PM
No, but his player moves correlate to WS/48 61% of the time. Considering that the figure for all coaches for the 30+ year figure was a barely above random 32%, that's pretty good.

I'm sure that the 61 wins fool's gold factor somewhere into that chart.
Do you have the same chart for the playoffs? I mean, I see the coach of the NBA champs ranked in the middle of the pack...

Baseline
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Please. If it weren't for Tim Duncan, Popovich couldn't get a waterboy gig at Pomona-Pitzer.

jesterbobman
07-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Rick Carlisle tends to act based on Lineups, and tends to do well in that metric. Wins produced tends to be more consistant year to year, and is related to individual production.

There'll be more work on coaches decision making, mostly around use of players, as this isn't adjusted for position, but it suggests Pop's usage is fairly good.

SA210
07-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Too bad the playoffs are a different monster

DMC
07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
It's misleading because WP48 doesn't tell the entire story of what's going on on the court.

There isn't a computer powerful enough to crunch the data that would be required to factor in all aspects of the game for every moment of the game for all players, including those on the bench.

You cannot just take WP48 and equate that to micro game situations. So if Manu has a high WP48 but Manu also has a sore elbow, how does that figure in the math?

It also doesn't account for "what if" scenarios. It cannot be shown that more games would have been won had the coach allocated minutes differently.

Finally, it doesn't take into account the opponent for any particular game.

lefty
07-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Please. If it weren't for Tim Duncan, Popovich couldn't get a waterboy gig at Pomona-Pitzer.

This

itzsoweezee
07-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Interesting, Collins' and Popovich's teams were equally horrible in the playoffs, when good coaching matters. I guess this articles is basically a worthless garbage, pretty much like Bonner's game.

DMC
07-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Since Collins played his WP48 players the highest number of minutes, why didn't he get the most wins? Is that saying teams like SA have that much spare talent that they can overcome the WP48 minute coaching by 20 games?

Where is the correlation to success?