PDA

View Full Version : Parker to Jazz thoughts

Russo21
07-25-2011, 12:07 AM
2011 NBA Trade Rumors – Tony Parker to Utah Jazz?

July 22, 2011 12:45 PM EDT

Tony Parker was a player rumored out of San Antonio around the time of the NBA Draft, but it was his backup that was dealt. The Spurs are an aging team and speculations still have Parker being moved before the start of the next season.

The latest trade rumor has the Spurs sending PG Tony Parker and veteran Antonio McDyess heading to the Utah Jazz in exchange for Devin Harris and Paul Milsap. Parker would give the Jazz an upgrade at the point and both players would give the team some added veteran leadership. The Jazz are loaded in the front-court and McDyess would probably be on the roster for just one season.

The Spurs would get a point guard to replace Parker, but San Antonio would also get a young big man to play along with Tim Duncan. This move would benefit both squads and definitely give the Spurs some much-needed youth.

Parker is still one of the better PG's in the NBA and could give the Jazz a leader with playoff and championship experience. His playoff performance last year was miserable and that seems the biggest reason the Spurs are looking to make a deal. Look for several moves in San Antonio as the team will go through a transition to youth over the next couple of seasons.

Tim Duncan
Paul Milsap
RJ/ RJ trade partner/ FA SF
Manu Ginobili
Devin Harris

Harris is a perfectly adequate PG for this team and Milsap is one of the best young PF's in the NBA, The sort of quick, explosive, athletic PF that Duncan has big trouble guarding these days. Would be nice to see especially if we could swap RJ for a better fit at SF.:toast

thispego
07-25-2011, 12:13 AM
milsap is quick and explosive?

Interrohater
07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
wow, that would be awesome. I've always liked Harris and I think in this system he'd be able to get consistent. And there's nothing else to say about Millsap except that while he's undersized, he might just be what our frontcourt needs. I'd be down with this trade.

baseline bum
07-25-2011, 12:21 AM
:vomit: Still better than the crap TJastal wanted to trade for though.

Russo21
07-25-2011, 12:23 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3k9hntk
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3qlc29g
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3lmsrqq
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3t4tm2w
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3m69f8q

Amoung other trades to say bye-bye to Richard Jefferson, then add some Free Agents and that would fill the roster nicely

Russo21
07-25-2011, 12:26 AM
wow, that would be awesome. I've always liked Harris and I think in this system he'd be able to get consistent. And there's nothing else to say about Millsap except that while he's undersized, he might just be what our frontcourt needs. I'd be down with this trade.

Ditto

Back when Harris was with Dallas, he and Parker had some great matchups

CGD
07-25-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm not a fan of moving TP personally, but it'd have to be a deal like this one if the Spurs do. Seems like decent value in return. You have to believe hypothetical deals are being discussed between teams even with the lockout uncertainty. Wonder if the Spurs are still insisting that any trade involving TP must also involve RJ...

Russo21
07-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Wonder if the Spurs are still insisting that any trade involving TP must also involve RJ...

Good question. I'm not sure. That didn't turn out to good last time we were trying to unload RJ with TP though. RJ scared everyone off.

spurs10
07-25-2011, 01:51 AM
I believe the ship of unloading RJ with a TP trade sailed when Hill left. However, I think they'll keep trying to trade RJ nonetheless. Tony is probably here to stay. Finding a backup for him will be problematic enough. If they were crazy about Millsap and thought he was the answer, then who knows. Harris has always shown potential when on a good team.

TJastal
07-25-2011, 02:18 AM
:vomit: Still better than the crap TJastal wanted to trade for though.

On paper, some might think as much.

Fit-wise for the spurs, I think my proposal is clearly superior, I prefer Nelson as he shoots 3's closer to 40% (Harris shoots worse than TP plus he's a volume shooter who wouldn't get nearly as many shots in the spurs' offense) and Anderson can spread the floor much better than Milsap (meaning less Bonner and more Splitter). Not to mention Anderson is younger, taller, and still improving. And the spurs really don't need any more undersized power forwards tbh.
'
And like I mentioned in the other thread how nice would it be to have 4 guys in the starting lineup that can all hit from downtown? Pretty damn nice, IMO.

For the spurs anyway, Nelson/Anderson is a bigger win than Harris/Milsap.

Russo21
07-25-2011, 02:37 AM
I assume you mean ryan anderson? He had a decent year at 10.6ppg and 5.5rpg 0.6bpg 0.5spg 39% 3PTFG. Not to bad. There's no point having him here if we still have Bonner. Now if you wanted to add Bonner and Bass into the equation that'd be ok.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3chr4qx

Anderson 10.6ppg and 5.5rpg 39% 3PTFG 0.6BPG 0.5SPG
Nelson 13.1PPG AND 6.0 APG 1SPG AND 40% 3PFG
Turkoglu 11ppg 4.2 APG 4.4rpg 1SPG and 40%3pfg
Bass 11.2PPG 5.6RPG 0.6BPG and tough as nails

Duncan and Splitter
Anderson and Bass and Blair
Turkoglu and Leonard
Manu and Anderson
Nelson and Neal

I tihnk we'd get a little better but not much. But leave us with a very nice, well rounded roster.

Turkoglu>>>>>RJ
Anderson and Bass>>>>>Bonner
Nelson<<<<<Parker

ChumpDumper
07-25-2011, 04:35 AM
lol clearly superior

mystargtr34
07-25-2011, 06:18 AM
I wouldn't do the Utah deal... if you swap Favors with Millsap then it becomes a better trade for the Spurs that you would do. But its likely Utah sees Kanter-Favors as their frontline for the next decade.

MaNu4Tres
07-25-2011, 06:23 AM
:lol @ Anderson and Nelson for Parker.

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2011, 06:37 AM
harris and parker are both the same type of player man, wtf u want to get rid of one for an unproven player....

Bruno
07-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Spurs won't trade Parker. [/thread]

Thomas82
07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't do the Utah deal... if you swap Favors with Millsap then it becomes a better trade for the Spurs that you would do. But its likely Utah sees Kanter-Favors as their frontline for the next decade.

Amen!! Amen!! Amen!! We don't need another big that's under 6'10".

Mel_13
07-25-2011, 08:12 AM
The latest trade rumor

Looks more like complete speculation by someone with zero NBA connections posted on a lesser version of bleacher report:

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979700373

elemento
07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
This site also has:

Tony Parker to the Knicks for Chauncey Billups.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense to get a 1-year rental of Billups for Tony Parker ROFL

As Mel said, this a worst version of bleachrreport.

dbestpro
07-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Throw in RJ for sign and trade AK47 and its a deal.

mountainballer
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Looks more like complete speculation by someone with zero NBA connections posted on a lesser version of bleacher report:

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979700373

:lol this guy doesn't even write a new article on a new rumor. he more or less just changes the players names. what a joke.

btw. getting Millsap might be one of the more realistic trade scenarios, but for sure not for Parker. and it's not a bad idea.
a package of Dice and Blair and a pick might get it done.
(Jazz do it for financial reasons)

8FOR!3
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
This is a God awful trade. If I trade Parker to Utah, Jefferson's going along with him and the only players I would accept back in return are a combination of Alec Burks, Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, Al Jefferson, Gordon Hayward, and Enes Kanter. I would do it straight up for Al Jefferson, but it would take a combination of three others with anybody else and it'd obviously have to involve Harris.

Dr.Angus
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Bad deal if you ask me.

Dex
07-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Spurs won't trade Parker. [/thread]

yavozerb
07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
TP is not going anywhere and even he was RJ would have to be tied into the trade. Would normally say how lame this thread is but right now with nothing else to talk about..

Dex
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
In all honestly, Parker/Dice for Harris/Millsap is probably just about as good a deal as the Spurs are going to get for just Parker.

Parker is great for the Spurs, but his value here is overrated. Teams just aren't going to blow the bank for him. Furthermore, if the Spurs were to trade Parker, they would obviously have to get another point back in the deal. That leaves the Spurs either trading Parker with pieces for a better PG (not going to happen), or the Spurs trading Parker for a serviceable PG and other useful parts such as this Harris/Millsap trade. They are not going to find a lot of trade partners with that combo to offer.

That being said, I still don't see this happening, nor do I want it to.

Chomag
07-25-2011, 01:56 PM
If spurs get Milsap they definitaly should trade Blair, maybe in some kind of package deal for something they need.

elemento
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
We trade Parker for a poor's man Parker and Dice for a rich version of Blair.

We need size and defense in our front-court. Millsap provides neither. He is what Blair is supposed to be with the proper development.

I pass all the trade attempts made by this website

Parker won't be traded.

acoelho1
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I think if Parker is traded, Jefferson needs to be included in some fashion. Also, I really like Harris as player who is solid defensively. I haven't seen him play since his Dallas days but he used to give Parker fits.

I would this do this trade but Utah would most likely balk.

Parker
McDyess
Jefferson

Harris
Jefferson
Hayward or Burks

baseline bum
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
I cannot understand why people think Jefferson should be included in a Parker deal. Parker is far and away the best Spurs trading piece, but forcing Jefferson in on the deal means the team will get something far less enticing in return. What is so hard to understand about the idea that Dick has enormous negative value to whatever team would get him?

acoelho1
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I can't understand why you don't. Parker was a finals MVP and 3 time champion and still in his prime and one of the best points in the league.. definitely top ten. So its reasonable to include Jefferson in my book but having said that, I would entertain deals without Jefferson included but they would need to offer more. I do like Harris but shipping him for Parker doesn't really make sense unless we get rid of Jefferson and even then, I think Utah would need to add Jefferson and one of their young players.

Dex
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I can't understand why you don't. Parker was a finals MVP and 3 time champion and still in his prime and one of the best points in the league.. definitely top ten. So its reasonable to include Jefferson in my book but having said that, I would entertain deals without Jefferson included but they would need to offer more. I do like Harris but shipping him for Parker doesn't really make sense unless we get rid of Jefferson and even then, I think Utah would need to add Jefferson and one of their young players.

Because then you take Parker's trade value, and basically cut it in half just to get rid of Jefferson. It's like selling a Lexus for half-price, just as long as the buyer takes this shitty Pinto off your hands as well.

If the Spurs are going to do something as drastic as trading Parker, they better get something damn impressive in return. I'm as sick of Richard as much as the rest of us, but if you include him in a Parker trade, that will not happen. If anything, Parker then becomes the sweetener to a deal to take Jefferson's contract, instead of being enticing trade bait for a promising player. Adding Jefferson in the Parker mix takes away all leverage the team has, because suddenly they are the ones dumping instead of dealing.

acoelho1
07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Please read my post again: I would entertain deals without Jefferson included but they would need to offer more.

DesignatedT
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
This is the type of trade it is going to take for the Spurs to even look at it IMO. If they trade Parker they are going to need to get a serviceable PG in return and more importantly get a young proven talent inside who can rebound and bang (not shoot 3s). Although Milsap isn't the most intriguing option (slightly undersized) he definitely fits the bill ( 17pts 8rebs, and only 26 years old) and then Devin Harris (15pts 7 asts) last season.

If they are serious about getting rid of Tony then this would probably be one of the better deals if true.

I'd be more interested in a

Tony+ RJ for Al Jefferson + Harris lol

8FOR!3
07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I almost wouldn't trade Parker there without it involving Al Jefferson and Devin Harris (since we would need the PG in return.) Gordon Heyward and Alec Burks rock, but they wouldn't be a needed position for our team and Derrick Favors has all the potential in the world but he has failed to impress thus far.

vander
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Parker isn't very valuable anymore, he's not a shooter or a creator, he's just a quick PG who's no longer very quick

I'd package Parker with RJ just for the cap space, and a draft pick; then tank 2012 and go after Howard

futilely continuing to try to contend with the Big 3 is just a massive waste of everyone's time and money and emotional investment

Bill_Brasky
07-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I want AlJeff. He has said his game is modeled after TD and it shows on the court. That and he's not undersized.

Millsap is nice and hes actually a pretty good defender, but is undersized and would be like having a better version of Blair who can shoot, but still doesn't match up with the bigger PF's in the league.

TD 21
07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Millsap makes zero sense for the Spurs. They'd be better off seeing if Blair can develop a mid range jumper and if he can become a slightly better defender, just by virtue of being in better shape and gaining more experience. Because his upside is essentially that of Millsap's. In addition to being 4 years younger, Blair's already a significantly better rebounder and he'll make a combined roughly $16.7 million less over the next two years. Millsap would do little to boost their title hopes and he's not a great building block, to where that should be overlooked.

Their stated goal is to be a top 5-7 defensive team. They're not going to go after just any PF that would be a short term upgrade. It's clear from their comments that they'd like someone who essentially brings what McDyess brought. That's why I keep bringing up Amir Johnson.

ducks
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
blair gets outofshape
puts on weight during a season
I was high on blair but with that work ethic I am not sure he should be a spur
weight is a big issue for him because of his knees he should know that

parker has value he is still pretty quick
he still more points in the paint then all your point guards and alot of your bigs

Drewlius
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
No point in trading Parker unless it's for a solid 7'0". Anything else is just absolutely pointless.

Sisk
07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Parker isn't going anywhere.

The Truth #6
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
I used to think fans would revolt if Parker was traded because he's part of the Big 3. After the affair and his crappy post season performance, I kind of wonder if the average dumb ass fan would even give a crap if he's gone. His absence would make it easier to make fun of the French, or at least rationalize his departure. The Spurs are pretty cosmopolitan but local SA fans are not. And Spurstalk fan might live with it because then maybe Ducks would go away.

ducks
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
ducks would still be here

DesignatedT
07-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I used to think fans would revolt if Parker was traded because he's part of the Big 3. After the affair and his crappy post season performance, I kind of wonder if the average dumb ass fan would even give a crap if he's gone. His absence would make it easier to make fun of the French, or at least rationalize his departure. The Spurs are pretty cosmopolitan but local SA fans are not. And Spurstalk fan might live with it because then maybe Ducks would go away.

It's all about winning, nothing else.

Girasuck
07-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Not only no, but HELL NO. Utah better not do this trade.

ducks
07-25-2011, 11:49 PM
It's all about winning, nothing else.

tp leave I GUARANTEE YOU SPURS LOSE MORE GAMES THEN LAST YEAR

Nathan89
07-26-2011, 12:25 AM
tp leave I GUARANTEE YOU SPURS LOSE MORE GAMES THEN LAST YEAR

If TP stays I guarantee you the Spurs lose more games than last year.

spursfan1000
07-26-2011, 02:06 PM
This trade would be great, but there is really no use of talking about it because Spurs are not known for making blockbuster trades.

Chomag
07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I want AlJeff. He has said his game is modeled after TD and it shows on the court. That and he's not undersized.

Millsap is nice and hes actually a pretty good defender, but is undersized and would be like having a better version of Blair who can shoot, but still doesn't match up with the bigger PF's in the league.

Problem with AlJeff is he has never put any effort on the defencive end in his life. I say effort becuase he has all the tools needed to be a pretty good defender, but he just puts no effort into it. Not gonna lie, He is a monster at scoring on the low block though.

cantthinkofanything
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
If TP stays I guarantee you the Spurs lose more games than last year.

If TP leaves, I guarantee you the Spurs lose more games than last year.
(assuming full season)

FilSpursFan
07-26-2011, 11:10 PM
TP is not going to any team

gospursgojas
07-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Why does everyone want to trade the Spurs' best player?

outmap
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Unless it's a TP, RJ, DB for Harris, Favors, Evans; Nope.

buttsR4rebounding
07-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I believe the ship of unloading RJ with a TP trade sailed when Hill left. However, I think they'll keep trying to trade RJ nonetheless. Tony is probably here to stay. Finding a backup for him will be problematic enough. If they were crazy about Millsap and thought he was the answer, then who knows. Harris has always shown potential when on a good team.

This is absolutely true. Parker isn't going anywhere now. I believe our rotation looks like this:

Parker/Manu/Neal/at some point Joseph
Anderson/Neal/Manu/
RJ/Leonard
Tim/Dice/Blair
Splitter/Bonner/Blair

With the possibility that Lorbek or Richards get into the mix. I think if Leonard plays like we all hope that he gets more and more of RJ's minutes. However, for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board RJ's numbers make him an average starting SF in the NBA.

I think the first sub is Manu for Anderson at the 2, then Neal comes in for Parker and Manu moves to the 1. I think Manu gets over half of his minutes at the 1 this year.

Duncan2177
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Anderson/Neal/Manu/
RJ/Leonard
Tim/Dice/Blair
Splitter/Bonner/Blair

If the spurs go into the season with that team they will not win a championship. They need more size at the 5 and need to get rid of RJ but we know that's not going to happen. :bang

Duncan2177
07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Why does everyone want to trade the Spurs' best player?

If Tony Parker is the spurs best player there in trouble. Manu is there best player.

buttsR4rebounding
07-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Anderson/Neal/Manu/
RJ/Leonard
Tim/Dice/Blair
Splitter/Bonner/Blair

If the spurs go into the season with that team they will not win a championship. They need more size at the 5 and need to get rid of RJ but we know that's not going to happen. :bang

Probably not, but if the following occurred they would have a chance: key players all healthy, Leonard plays to expectations including rebounding at twice the rate of RJ and Splitter is at least an average big. If these things happen I believe they can complete again.

TJastal
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
This is absolutely true. Parker isn't going anywhere now. I believe our rotation looks like this:

Anderson/Neal/Manu/
RJ/Leonard
Tim/Dice/Blair
Splitter/Bonner/Blair

With the possibility that Lorbek or Richards get into the mix. I think if Leonard plays like we all hope that he gets more and more of RJ's minutes. However, for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board RJ's numbers make him an average starting SF in the NBA.

I think the first sub is Manu for Anderson at the 2, then Neal comes in for Parker and Manu moves to the 1. I think Manu gets over half of his minutes at the 1 this year.

I doubt Manu will go back to the bench as a 6th man. He did that for years already, without any qualms I might add (unlike a certain french poodle). And certainly not for a 2nd year inexperienced fatboy douche like Anderson.

Anderson (if he's even on the team next year) will most likely be behind Manu, Neal & Green in the rotation. Which means essentially he'll most likely be playing on the toros.

Red Hawk #21
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Some of you guys can't be serious. Devin Harris loves to drive into 7 footers, the problem is he always gets hurt right after. That guy is so injury-prone and yet he won't change his style of play. No complaints about Millsap though, he's a solid player. But if I'm the SA FO I wouldn't make this trade.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Like most analysis streams (ESPN, FoxSports, SI, etc.), typically, a numerical value is placed on players to evaluate their abilities. In that same manner, I would think TP should garner something like an 87/88 grade (out of 100 obviously) as a player in the NBA (not just a PG). That's taking into account his age and abilities today (I would've had him at 93 about 4-5 years ago). Devin Harris is about an 82. McDyess is about a 78. Millsap is about an 83. Average talent score leaving the Spurs in trade = 83. Average talent acquired in the trade is about the same.

However, there is a "factor" that isn't being considered w/ the assignment of grades - the stronger or ELITE player factor. Whenever a team has the opportunity to acquire and/or keep a player who's great to ELITE talent (90+ grade) and another solid player (80-85 score), that should take precedence over a two good players (high 80s) even though the average is the same.

In other words, keeping TP and McDyess is better than trading for Millsap and DH.

DJB
07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I love this trade. Blow it up.

TJastal
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Like most analysis streams (ESPN, FoxSports, SI, etc.), typically, a numerical value is placed on players to evaluate their abilities. In that same manner, I would think TP should garner something like an 87/88 grade (out of 100 obviously) as a player in the NBA (not just a PG). That's taking into account his age and abilities today (I would've had him at 93 about 4-5 years ago). Devin Harris is about an 82. McDyess is about a 78. Millsap is about an 83. Average talent score leaving the Spurs in trade = 83. Average talent acquired in the trade is about the same.

However, there is a "factor" that isn't being considered w/ the assignment of grades - the stronger or ELITE player factor. Whenever a team has the opportunity to acquire and/or keep a player who's great to ELITE talent (90+ grade) and another solid player (80-85 score), that should take precedence over a two good players (high 80s) even though the average is the same.

In other words, keeping TP and McDyess is better than trading for Millsap and DH.

What if said ELITE stronger player (score 90+) has issues like lusting after teammates' wives and getting outplayed by said GOOD solid player Conley (score 80-85) in playoffs? Does that trump the standard rule of keeping said ELITE player in the event of their mean average being the same?

Fascinating stuff otherwise, as usual coach Jenkins.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
What if said ELITE stronger player (score 90+) has issues like lusting after teammates' wives and getting outplayed by said GOOD solid player Conley (score 80-85) in playoffs? Does that trump the standard rule of keeping said ELITE player in the event of their mean average being the same?

Fascinating stuff otherwise, as usual coach Jenkins.

You bring up a good point as there is the element of attitude, off the court issues, etc. I don't think TPs extra-curricular activities were that much of a distraction last year although I personally think what he did was pretty shitty. If what he does continues, that's a different story.

On the court and getting outplayed in a game or even a series doesn't mean TPs isn't a better player. Playoffs are about matchups - some players match up to others better. TP was bested, no doubt about it, but you don't trade him because of that reason alone or if you combine that reason w/ his off the court stuff.

Who do you think is better - honestly: Parker or Conley?

elemento
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Conley clearly outplayed Parker :rolleyes

Conley - 14ppg / 6.1 ast shooting 39% from the field

Parker 19.7ppg / 5.2 ast 46% from the field

Even though Parker was supposed to kill Conley because he is the better player, he was not the reason we lost that series. Our front-court was destroyed, plain and simple.

We got spoiled with Duncan carrying this team with mediocre help in the front-court. He cannot do it anymore.

dylankerouac
07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Even though Parker was supposed to kill Conley because he is the better player, he was not the reason we lost that series. Our front-court was destroyed, plain and simple.

We got spoiled with Duncan carrying this team with mediocre help in the front-court. He cannot do it anymore.

Indeed. I think people are expecting way too much of a point guard when complaining about Tony Parker not carrying the Spurs. Derrick Rose was the league MVP and we see how he did carrying his team: no championship. A point guard carrying a team to a championship is not a common occurance - save a certain 6 ft 9" point guard that could play the power forward position. Despite this, that same 6 ft 9" point guard played for a franchise that can afford and constantly spends money for trophies, the Lakers.

How many other point guards led a team to multiple championships or even one? The great Oscar Robertson only won one. People need to give Parker a break.

dylankerouac
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Also, I miss giggling at your old avatar Elemento.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Indeed. I think people are expecting way too much of a point guard when complaining about Tony Parker not carrying the Spurs. Derrick Rose was the league MVP and we see how he did carrying his team: no championship. A point guard carrying a team to a championship is not a common occurance - save a certain 6 ft 9" point guard that could play the power forward position. Despite this, that same 6 ft 9" point guard played for a franchise that can afford and constantly spends money for trophies, the Lakers.

How many other point guards led a team to multiple championships or even one? The great Oscar Robertson only won one. People need to give Parker a break.

COMPLETELY agree. PGs rarely are the reason for Championships (PFs and slashing SG/SFs are) but that's another thread.

But TP is the best player on the team. Let me reiterate - Tony Parker is the BEST player on the Spurs. I don't even think it's close to be honest as the PG position is much more difficult than the SG position (again, another thread). And if TP is the best player, than if he's traded, then the team needs to recoup either a comporable PG, which is unlikely, or a PF who's just as good.

Since that isn't going to happen, my original point was the TP remain a Spur.

quentin_compson
07-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Conley might not exactly have outplayed TP, but this was supposed to be one of the few matchups in the Spurs' favour in this series, and it didn't work out that way because Tony was having a subpar outing.

SpursIndonesia
07-28-2011, 01:30 AM

Isiah Thomas, a small, scoring PG, hall of famer. He did it, TWICE, as the leader of the team. But Tony isn't him and the current Spurs team is also nowhere near the zenith of those badboys.

Otherwise, i agree of your notion. Even if Tony was playing at par in that series, the Spurs was flawed enough that championship aspiration was just a fatamorgana last season.

Cane
07-28-2011, 02:13 AM

The killer numbers in the match-up were Parker's 31 assists to 20 turnovers. Thats not running the offense and getting the team involved well. Whereas Conley was more PG-like with 37 assists and 13 turnovers. Parker's PER also dropped from his regular season avg of 20.4 to 17.6 in the playoffs. Sure its a small sample size but you expect the youngest and healthiest member of the Big 3 to be more of a factor than that and the Spurs really needed it in the first game without Manu.

But the Spurs weren't going to contend anyway especially with the injuries and matchup issues they had and still have. If the Spurs are serious about improving defensively to even a top 5-7 team then it'll take some serious upgrades in the frontcourt and the backcourt doesn't exactly have defensive stoppers either.

Imo the Spurs will be trading players to reach that defensive goal but I'm not sure if Parker is that valuable to a team other than a potential contender which the Jazz aren't. Parker is also still a great player to have versus the Lakers and Mavs PGs

Budkin
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Bullshit.

acoelho1
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I think our man Manu takes the crown of best player. The only player on the Jazz that I really like is Al Jefferson who reminds of another player that wiped the floor with us in the playoffs, Zach Randolph. Al has a lot to his game and many post moves down low and would be a considerable upgrade at PF. Devin is not the same caliber of player as Parker on the offense end but he is considerably better on the defensive end, which should be our number one priority. Not sure if Utah would consider trading Jefferson but we should explore it.

D. Harris
M. Ginobili
K. Leonard
Duncan
Al Jefferson

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
al jefferson is the only player on the jazz i would want to get back for parker. if hes not included then no trade. i would take milsap if RJ was the centerpiece of the spurs offer. but we all know that will never happen.

slick'81
07-30-2011, 12:49 AM
would keep tony over harris anyday and i havent seen enough of milsap to say hes the real deal yet

JustinJDW
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Utah is not giving up 2 of their best 3 players for Tony Parker, who's going to turn 30. :lol

TJastal
07-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Utah is not giving up 2 of their best 3 players for Tony Parker, who's going to turn 30. :lol

Well, this IS Tony Parker, best player by far on the spurs, rating 100+/100. It really almost goes without saying a 1st round pick should be included in the deal. As well the jazz should also throw in Okur, since his model wife would be perfect for the poodle's fornicating pursuits.

joshdaboss
07-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Only player I'd be interested in from Utah is Al Jefferson, and I'm not sure he's the answer. He's not 7' and he's not great on defense, despite blocking a few shots. The Spurs need a defensive big man and a backup point guard (LOL HILL).

TJastal
07-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Only player I'd be interested in from Utah is Al Jefferson, and I'm not sure he's the answer. He's not 7' and he's not great on defense, despite blocking a few shots. The Spurs need a defensive big man and a backup point guard (LOL HILL).

He's a big body in there (way bigger than Blair). He's gotta be 6'10 at least. Sure he's no Admiral but the guy can score on the low block and his defense is still leaps and bounds better than Blair. He'd be a great compliment to Duncan because his scoring on the low block would take the burden off Timmy to try and bang in there for points, thus freeing him up to focus his energy on defense.

joshdaboss
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
He's a big body in there (way bigger than Blair). He's gotta be 6'10 at least. Sure he's no Admiral but the guy can score on the low block and his defense is still leaps and bounds better than Blair. He'd be a great compliment to Duncan because his scoring on the low block would take the burden off Timmy to try and bang in there for points, thus freeing him up to focus his energy on defense.

I wouldn't be mad at the deal, because I think Parker is vastly overrated. For all of the shit Bonner gets for his defense, Parker is much worse on defense. The complaints I have about Al Jefferson on the Spurs would be he isn't a good position defender, doesn't have a high BB IQ and is a black hole once he gets the ball... awful passer.

ChuckD
07-31-2011, 09:34 AM

Well, Harris is "going to turn" 29, and Jefferson make a LOT of money for a small market team that has Favors and Kanter, cheap young options.

TJastal
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't be mad at the deal, because I think Parker is vastly overrated. For all of the shit Bonner gets for his defense, Parker is much worse on defense. The complaints I have about Al Jefferson on the Spurs would be he isn't a good position defender, doesn't have a high BB IQ and is a black hole once he gets the ball... awful passer.

Well, maybe you're right and the spurs should explore other options. I forgot just how bad his defense really is.

joshdaboss
07-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Well, maybe you're right and the spurs should explore other options. I forgot just how bad his defense really is.

If there are no other deals on the table for the Spurs and Utah would be willing to give him up, I'd be for it. I want Parker unloaded.

TJastal
07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
If there are no other deals on the table for the Spurs and Utah would be willing to give him up, I'd be for it. I want Parker unloaded.

Ditto.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-31-2011, 10:02 AM

agreed. would much rather find a way for a sign and trade for nene or trade for tyrus thomas & DJ Augustine but i wouldnt be mad if we unload TP for big AL.

joshdaboss
07-31-2011, 10:09 AM
agreed. would much rather find a way for a sign and trade for nene or trade for tyrus thomas & DJ Augustine but i wouldnt be mad if we unload TP for big AL.

Nene I wouldn't mind, but Tyrus Thomas is terrible, in my opinion. If I were given the choice of playing 40-year-old McDyess or Tyrus Thomas, I would choose McDyess every time.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Nene I wouldn't mind, but Tyrus Thomas is terrible, in my opinion. If I were given the choice of playing 40-year-old McDyess or Tyrus Thomas, I would choose McDyess every time.

i would really just want thomas for defense. he does make horrible decision on offense but really wouldnt see him taking more shots them mcdyess this season. really want DJ tho. he did pretty well running the floor for the bobcats. i see a future allstar in him.