PDA

View Full Version : Online Call To Shoot President Ruled Free Speech

ElNono
07-25-2011, 12:17 AM
"USA Today reports that the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has reversed the conviction (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/man-who-threatened-obama-has-conviction-reversed/1?csp=34news) of a man who threatened to shoot President Obama, saying his Internet message board comments amounted to free speech and ruled that prosecutors 'failed to present sufficient evidence to establish beyond a reasonable doubt' that the man 'had the subjective intent to threaten a presidential candidate.' Walter Bagdasarian was found guilty two years ago of making threats against the presidential candidate in comments he posted on a Yahoo.com financial website after 1 am on Oct. 22, 2008, as Obama's impending victory in the race for the White House was becoming apparent. Bagdasarian told investigators he was drunk at the time. The observation that Obama 'will have a 50 cal in the head soon' and a call to 'shoot the [racist slur]' weren't violations of the law under which Bagdasarian was convicted because the statute doesn't criminalize 'predictions or exhortations to others to injure or kill the president (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/online-call-to-shoot-obama-was-free-speech-not-a-crime-appeals-court-rules.html),' said the majority opinion, written by Judge Stephen Reinhardt."

DMX7
07-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Yahoo provided Bagdasarian's subscriber information to investigators, who raided his house and seized six guns and a hard drive containing an email with similar sentiments.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/07/man-who-threatened-obama-has-conviction-reversed/1?csp=34news

Winehole23
07-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Yahoo ratted their customer. Tough world.

jack sommerset
07-25-2011, 08:49 AM
That's the world we live in now. Only take someone serious if they actually do it.

Blake
07-25-2011, 10:01 AM
That's the world we live in now. Only take someone serious if they actually do it.

or if they actually say that they themselves are specifically going to kill the potus.

boutons_deux
07-25-2011, 10:05 AM
"locked and loaded", "reload, don't retreat", that's how violent, murderous, imperial America rolls.

Oh, Gee!!
07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I bet Walter's a real hoot when he's drunk.

jack sommerset
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
or if they actually say that they themselves are specifically going to kill the potus.

Just so I am clear, if you say you are going to kill someone you should be held accountable by some sort of law. Especially the President, even if he is a lying douchebag like the current one we have.

Blake
07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Just so I am clear, if you say you are going to kill someone you should be held accountable by some sort of law. Especially the President, even if he is a lying douchebag like the current one we have.

I was originally saying "they should also be taken seriously", but yeah, I'm good with the laws we have concerning death threats.