PDA

View Full Version : Car rental

mrsmaalox
07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm booking a vacation for my family for mid-August. Flights are taken care of, as well as some of the lodging and tickets for the attractions. My question is about car rental, I want to know anyone's personal experiences.

I have a family of 5 and need a large enough car to accommodate us and luggage comfortably. With my USAA discount I can get a 7 passenger SUV for around $450 for the week----better than I expected.

But I want to find out about booking a car only thru Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, etc. I've seen that I can save almost $150 with them but I've had one questionable experience and ended up paying 2x what was quoted. But since I didn't book that trip myself, I don't know if it was a screw job by Expedia or Avis, or just "user error" on the part of my spouse ;)

Does anyone have personal experiences to share? For the record, I have booked entire vacations (flights, hotel, car) thru most of them and it worked out fine, but I've never tried just a single service (like car rental). The only single service I've tried has been Hotels.com and both times it turned into a hassle about not getting what I booked, so never again.

leemajors
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
If you have USAA, you can get free gold club or what not through most rental companies. It can save a bit of hassle and you get a break on the rate too. As far as booking through the third party sites, make sure you call the hotel and check what kind of room you are actually booked for.

Iakchos Kadmos
07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Might I suggest changing your destination to that of Greece? Once you are have arrived I will make sure that cousin Demetrius picks you up at airport and that carriage is covered in softest goat hide. My family will camp in backyard to allow your family the use of our home. We will do all of this for the $4.50 Amerika dollars that you speak of.
I only ask that you do not let cousin Demetrius near your women or children as he is known perverted. I have personally seen him stare out the window at children while we are having the intercourse. Believe me he is pervert.

thispego
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
can i come?

ashbeeigh
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
What a richer.

blkroadrunners
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Sites like Hotwire, Travelocity, etc. are 3rd party sites so it's best to contact the car rental company directly like Leemajors stated and see what you booked. Idk how car rental companies work, but usually the businesses will accommodates their guests/customers who've booked directly through them as their 1st priority, however if the demand is low it shouldn't be a problem.

NOTE: From my past experiences working in a hotel, NEVER use Expedia. There have been a couple instances where the site fabricated false confirmation numbers, and have left their customers stranded.

clambake
07-25-2011, 12:11 PM
$450 for a week is already a killer price.

florige
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
What a richer.

Its amazing how many closet richers there are on ST.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
$450 for a week is already a killer price.

No kidding. I wouldn't expect better.

CubanMustGo
07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't forget to make use of your USAA.com coupons, there's usually $30 off on a weekly rental. There's also the free primary liability coverage included with the rental (and your regular auto coverage should handle comprehensive/collision).

Ironically, my wife and I rented an Avis mid-size in SFO last month only to have them upgrade us at no cost to a .. seven passenger SUV. The extra cost came whenever we had to fill the tank as the beast only got about 19MPG in mostly highway driving. At 6'6", tho, the extra head and leg room came in handy.

Iakchos Kadmos
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
My offer is still standing...

bus driver
07-25-2011, 03:26 PM
unless your coming to san antonio, then use public transportation. If I recall correctly I have only used a rental car in phoenix. I have used public transportation with the rest of the commoners in the DC area, Orlando, Vegas, Seattle, Dallas and I am sure I am leaving other places as well. although i never went with 5 people.

mrsmaalox
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
can i come?

Start packing!!

silverblk mystix
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Just make sure you get unlimited mileage...and tell them you already have auto insurance through your own auto insurer...other than the refundable deposit...there should not be any surprise charges at the end of the week...

450 is pretty good for an SUV...

What I like to do also is pick the car up in one city...and drop it off in another city...which lets you see different places and fly home from another airport...

my two cents...

MannyIsGod
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
unless your coming to san antonio, then use public transportation. If I recall correctly I have only used a rental car in phoenix. I have used public transportation with the rest of the commoners in the DC area, Orlando, Vegas, Seattle, Dallas and I am sure I am leaving other places as well. although i never went with 5 people.

Dude - I'm a public transportation champion - I love it. That being said, if I'm going on vacation to anywhere but maybe NY I'm not going to use public transportation. Too much wasted time, IMO.