PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment yay!

Tinystarz
07-25-2011, 03:46 PM
It looks like I might get the boot at my job. Nothing I did just the whole less hours thing I guess. I was hoping to have it for another month or so till school started again but oh well. I've had the job for about 2 yrs so I assume I can get unemployment right I mean i was full time(yes texas ugh). I'd figure I could milk the unemployment for that month or so cause I have a friend who can give me a job but not till mid oct. I know this is possible but my questions is lets say I think the job stinks but I already accept it.

Is there some kind of time limit to go back to umemployment? Or once I have the job it's final and they cut me off the benefits? I've never had unemployment before and I'm sure some of you have had it before (no offense no racist :lol)

I'm aware some of you might not want to respond since it's pretty much admitting you had/have unemployment,but c'mon respond under a troll or something but any serious response is welcomed. So blackswords that means no replies from you k.

coyotes_geek
07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes, you get cut off once you get a new job. My wife and I were looking to hire a nanny and the first girl we offered the job to wanted to know if we would hold the job for her for 6 months until her unemployment benefits ran out. We hired someone else.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes, you get cut off once you get a new job. My wife and I were looking to hire a nanny and the first girl we offered the job to wanted to know if we would hold the job for her for 6 months until her unemployment benefits ran out. We hired someone else.

:lmao

WOW.

Tinystarz
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM

so your saying i shouldn't take my friends offer huh. Ok sounds reasonable

coyotes_geek
07-25-2011, 04:07 PM
:lmao

WOW.

We were floored. We interviewed her twice and had her work a couple of days before we offered her the job. She said she had a good work ethic, my wife who works from home didn't see anything to contradict that during those trial days. But once she found out she'd have to give up the unemployment benefits she didn't want to lose that, despite the fact that we were going to pay her more than what her benefits were.

CubanMustGo
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
You only get unemployment if you aren't terminated for cause. If they make up some shit like "we let you go because you weren't getting the job done" then you will have to fight to get benefits.

If you're in TX, you might want to read up on qualifying for benefits:
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/claimant1.html#qualify

baseline bum
07-25-2011, 04:47 PM

:lmao Is unemployment that generous in Texas?

MannyIsGod
07-25-2011, 04:55 PM
It depends on what you made prior to getting unemployment but its usually pretty shitty compared to a job.

thispego
07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I wish we'd take a page out of floridas book and drug test unemployment recipients

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 05:22 PM
I just got offered a job in a credit union, had to go through background beck/credit check/drug check.

Serious business.

DMX7
07-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Sadly, a lot of people pass on ok jobs to continue collecting unemployment. Sometimes, it's legitimate, but that is an egregious example.

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
yeah but if you ever get fired because of your driving record, don't do weed and heroin like the crew. they gonna start doin this shit florida style i saidddd.

brah honestly who is stupid enough to mess up their driving record so bad they get denied a job offer tbh?

surely no one?

leemajors
07-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I wish we'd take a page out of floridas book and drug test unemployment recipients

Weird that they do that but keep no statewide record of Oxycontin prescriptions. You can go from doctor to doctor up and down the state getting it.

BlackSwordsMan
07-25-2011, 06:27 PM
TINY! We can stay together and play xbox all day.

BlackSwordsMan
07-25-2011, 06:29 PM
So blackswords that means no replies from you k.

Sweetie I would never troll in your threads. You like my Eve and your threads the Garden of Eden I would never befoul them.

SA210
07-25-2011, 10:04 PM
It looks like I might get the boot at my job. Nothing I did just the whole less hours thing I guess. I was hoping to have it for another month or so till school started again but oh well. I've had the job for about 2 yrs so I assume I can get unemployment right I mean i was full time(yes texas ugh). I'd figure I could milk the unemployment for that month or so cause I have a friend who can give me a job but not till mid oct. I know this is possible but my questions is lets say I think the job stinks but I already accept it.

Is there some kind of time limit to go back to umemployment? Or once I have the job it's final and they cut me off the benefits? I've never had unemployment before and I'm sure some of you have had it before (no offense no racist :lol)

I'm aware some of you might not want to respond since it's pretty much admitting you had/have unemployment,but c'mon respond under a troll or something but any serious response is welcomed. So blackswords that means no replies from you k.

You won't get unemployment for "violation of policy", which is what most employers go for while in unemployment proceedings. So if they are going to fire you, make sure you're not violating policy or giving them any reason to say so. In Texas they usually side with employers, so have your ducks in a row. You will usualy get half of what u were making, bi-weekly. Takes about 3 weeks to a month to kick in if u get it, so just a heads up. You are required to look for work, and possibly submit logs of the work contacts you have made, weekly.

baseline bum
07-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow, half? That's insane, especially in a state with as low a cost of living as Texas.

coyotes_geek
07-25-2011, 10:59 PM
:lmao Is unemployment that generous in Texas?

Apparently it is to at least one person in this state. She told us that even though we were willing to pay her more than what she was getting in benefits, we weren't paying her "enough more" for it to be worth her while. Whatever.

Frenzy
07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Wow, half? That's insane, especially in a state with as low a cost of living as Texas.

my brother had unemployment for 4 months. He got 80% of his original pay rate from the job he got layed off of. It may depend on the job and pay rate. He said The max Texas workforce could give him was 400 a week. Even though that was not 80% of his pay but they said that was The legal max,don't know why. Don't know if that was just because or what. He also had 5k severance on top of it. Lucky basterd,except for the job loss I mean :lol

Wild Cobra
07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Apparently it is to at least one person in this state. She told us that even though we were willing to pay her more than what she was getting in benefits, we weren't paying her "enough more" for it to be worth her while. Whatever.
This is the type of person who deserves to be reported for refusing an offered job.

SA210
07-25-2011, 11:11 PM

yup

rascal
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
We were floored. We interviewed her twice and had her work a couple of days before we offered her the job. She said she had a good work ethic, my wife who works from home didn't see anything to contradict that during those trial days. But once she found out she'd have to give up the unemployment benefits she didn't want to lose that, despite the fact that we were going to pay her more than what her benefits were.

You should have just offered to pay her under the table at less the rate you originally thought. You both would have made out that way.

Oneton
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
You should have just offered to pay her under the table at less the rate you originally thought. You both would have made out that way.

It also might have been better in that you could have held that over her head. She would take better care of your kids so as not to get reported for lying. If she pissed you off you could have just gone to TWC and said "Look what I just found out. Ain't that some shit?"

rascal
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Why should she work for such little pay difference?
Very logical thinking on her part. She should look to get a job with under the table pay (no taxes) and still collect her unemployment. Those nanny jobs are good jobs to do that.

We pay the govt. all our lives so when you have a chance to get some back go for it.

coyotes_geek
07-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Would have worked great up until the time we had to let her go. Then either she'd be screwed by not having a job anymore and not being able to go back on unemployment because as far as TWC was concerned, she hadn't been working. Or she'd try to file for unemployment and I'd be screwed because TWC and the IRS would find out I haven't been paying taxes on her.

My risk > her risk.

It also might have been better in that you could have held that over her head. She would take better care of your kids so as not to get reported for lying. If she pissed you off you could have just gone to TWC and said "Look what I just found out. Ain't that some shit?"

And then the TWC would start to wonder why they have no records of her being an employee of mine. I'd basically have just confessed to tax evasion.

Why should she work for such little pay difference?
Very logical thinking on her part. She should look to get a job with under the table pay (no taxes) and still collect her unemployment. Those nanny jobs are good jobs to do that.

We pay the govt. all our lives so when you have a chance to get some back go for it.

That's certainly her decision to make. I moved on and gave the job to someone who actually wanted it.

rascal
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Would have worked great up until the time we had to let her go. Then either she'd be screwed by not having a job anymore and not being able to go back on unemployment because as far as TWC was concerned, she hadn't been working. Or she'd try to file for unemployment and I'd be screwed because TWC and the IRS would find out I haven't been paying taxes on her.

I am sure she would have understood that she could not collect or file unemployment once it ran out and could not list you as an employer, (and that is when she ran out of all her extensions, I know a guy who has collected for two years now with all the extensions).

You are not a corporation that needs to claim workers. You could have easily hired her as temporary help and not claimed her as an employee and paid her under the table, an agreement between the two of you.

Would you claim a baby sitter if she came over to work for you once in awhile?

gospursgojas
07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I was on unemployment for 3 mos when I got laid off.

I made 38k at the job that laid me off and got 320 a week :rolleyes:

spursfan1000
07-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Wow how much lower can you get? :nope

coyotes_geek
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I am sure she would have understood that she could not collect or file unemployment once it ran out and could not list you as an employer, (and that is when she ran out of all her extensions, I know a guy who has collected for two years now with all the extensions).

Considering how it took her a while to figure out that getting a job meant you wouldn't get unemployment checks anymore, I'm not so sure she would have understood that.

You are not a corporation that needs to claim workers.

I am a household who wanted to hire a full time household employee. Legally, you're supposed to claim them. Some people don't. That's their choice.

You could have easily hired her as temporary help and not claimed her as an employee and paid her under the table, an agreement between the two of you.

Sure, I could have done that. I elected to find someone else and take the peace of mind of not having to wonder if the IRS or TWC would find me. That's my choice.

Would you claim a baby sitter if she came over to work for you once in awhile?

No. Babysitters don't meet the IRS/TWC requirements for who constitutes a household employee.