PDA

View Full Version : Batista sacked

ElNono
07-25-2011, 09:53 PM
It's official...

http://www.canchallena.com/1392322-confirmado-batista-ya-no-es-mas-el-tecnico-de-la-seleccion

lefty
07-25-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/4/surprised.gif

ALVAREZ6
07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Only a good move if they actually get a quality coach to replace him. Otherwise they'll be back playing the same game.

ElNono
07-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Rumor going is Sabella

Venti Quattro
07-26-2011, 12:39 AM
crofl I thought it was Batista the wrestler.

DAF86
07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
The only one I know for sure would do well is Bielsa, I have doubts about all the other coaches.

urunobili
07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
The only one I know for sure would do well is Bielsa, I have doubts about all the other coaches.

Bianchi says hi :)

DAF86
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Too long without coaching and way too defensive for my taste, besides he's not a big Messi fan. But you can't argue results, although he sucked when he had the chance in Europe.

ElNono
07-26-2011, 11:09 PM

I like him the best, but the mafia boss already spoke: :td

fotan2
07-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Cuper would have been a legit candidate

ElNono
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Sabella is fine though, IMO. Should be a qualitative upgrade over the previous two. The big question is if they're going to let him work.

Spurs rock
07-26-2011, 11:26 PM
crofl I thought it was Batista the wrestler.

LMAO so did I.

MB20
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Julio Grondona confirmó que trabajan en contrato de Sabella al frente de la Selección
27-07-11 14:36

cheguevara
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
won't make much of a difference. Argentina is doomed for a while. No new great players coming up.

It's like making a lemonade with a few bad lemons. Does it really matter who makes it?

ALVAREZ6
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
won't make much of a difference. Argentina is doomed for a while. No new great players coming up.

It's like making a lemonade with a few bad lemons. Does it really matter who makes it?

wtf are you saying....Argentina currently has a ton of great, young players that still can be really effective for years to come. The defense is obviously shitty and it's the exception to what I just typed, but it is mostly to do with the coaching. Last WC, they made it to the quarters (I know, not a big deal, but how often does Mexico do it?) on pure talent alone while playing under another scumbag...

ElNono
07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Argentina is lacking some good defensive prospects... other than that, it's full of kids with a lot of talent and a future. They need a good coach and time to work into a team.

urunobili
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Argentina is lacking some good defensive prospects... other than that, it's full of kids with a lot of talent and a future. They need a good coach and time to work into a team.

Good post. It took us 5 years to get to where we are. So its a process...

ElNono
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM

Grondona today: "Mientras yo siga como presidente, no va a ser técnico."

English: "As long as I'm the president, he won't be the coach"

ElNono
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Good post. It took us 5 years to get to where we are. So its a process...

Props to Tabarez too for saying he didn't invent anything, he just looked at Pekerman and his process. That's high praise for Jose right there. To think we threw away all that to bring in this joke of the '86 generation.

cheguevara
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM

yup. Argentina has great talent to maintain top 10 in the world for a while and pass round 1 maybe round 2 of the world cup. That's about it.

I was talking about someday soon competing for a world cup. Not gonna happen when the best thing you can trot out to the floor is Zanetti, Cambiasso, Macherani, Banega and Lavezzi :lol

Argentina has the same fate as the Spurs for the next 10-15 years. Playoff team but nowhere near a contender. No matter who coaches them.

ElNono
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
yup. Argentina has great talent to maintain top 10 in the world for a while and pass round 1 maybe round 2 of the world cup. That's about it.

I was talking about someday soon competing for a world cup. Not gonna happen when the best thing you can trot out to the floor is Zanetti, Cambiasso, Macherani, Banega and Lavezzi :lol

Argentina has the same fate as the Spurs for the next 10-15 years. Playoff team but nowhere near a contender. No matter who coaches them.

:lol That's not true at all. They might not win the WC (which is a lot harder to do than winning an NBA title), but they've certainly top 10 talent to be there.

That Zanetti, Cambiasso, Macherani, Banega and Lavezzi play has everything to do with the coach. I'm pretty sure we won't see the likes of Banega and Lavezzi with a new coach. Guys like Pastore and Agüero are much better and should take their spot. Mascherano is a top player in Europe by any measurable standard. Cambiasso is in the down side of his career, but he's still a good player for Inter, and guys like Gago have shown that can play the position well.

Truth is, outside of the defense, a lot of top NTs would love to have the players ARG has available. The biggest problem for ARG is to actually build a team. When almost every player is in Europe, it's hard to set up practices, etc.

cheguevara
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
we are pretty much in agreement. But you are not seeing the light. Argentina has been a perenial WORLD CUP contender since 1986. Even as late as 2006 in Germany they could have won it and nobody would have been surprised. I agree in 2010 they came mostly on reputation as contenders. Now, they cannot be seriously considered contenders, not with the talent alone. You cannot have a contender with such weak links in the mid/back field. Truth is Argentina does not have the talent to form a top class mid/back field. HOpefully in 5-10 years but they need to get to work on their young talent.

Truth is, outside of the defense, a lot of top NTs would love to have the players ARG has available. The biggest problem for ARG is to actually build a team. When almost every player is in Europe, it's hard to set up practices, etc.

who is to blame for this? Europe? It's not Europe's fault Argentina can't keep their talent in home country.

ElNono
07-28-2011, 09:41 PM
we are pretty much in agreement. But you are not seeing the light. Argentina has been a perenial WORLD CUP contender since 1986. Even as late as 2006 in Germany they could have won it and nobody would have been surprised. I agree in 2010 they came mostly on reputation as contenders. Now, they cannot be seriously considered contenders, not with the talent alone. You cannot have a contender with such weak links in the mid/back field. Truth is Argentina does not have the talent to form a top class mid/back field. HOpefully in 5-10 years but they need to get to work on their young talent.

tbh, I didn't think we were perennial contenders since '86. I will say that while Maradona was still hitting the coke we still had a great chance (I liked that team in USA 94 a lot). I didn't think we would do much in '98, tbh. 2002 was a huge disappointment, but I think at that point realistically we would've been happy with being in the top 5. Germany 2006 was more a surprise than anything, really (new coach, new generation of players).
2010 wasn't THAT bad. Expected better with that talent? Sure. Could we have done worse? After watching Batista coach, no doubt.

As far as top back/mid field, I don't really think you need to be absolute top at every part. I don't think every team is, including the champs, Spain. I think Argentina can put together a serviceable back, and an above average midfield. The thing with the back, which is the biggest need, is that we need to stop using the same old turds. Batista did well in getting rid of Heinze, and Burdisso needs to be next in line, along with Zanetti (a player that gave everything for the team, but it's clearly over the hill) retiring.

There's some good young prospects, but above all, they need a lot of work with the coach. Defense is much less one on one than it is about cohesively defending.

who is to blame for this? Europe? It's not Europe's fault Argentina can't keep their talent in home country.

I don't 'blame' anybody. I just say it's the reality of the situation. It's not just Argentina... Brazil has the same problem up to an extent. European national teams have a definite advantage there (not saying it's intentional, just saying it's real).

urunobili
07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't 'blame' anybody. I just say it's the reality of the situation. It's not just Argentina... Brazil has the same problem up to an extent. European national teams have a definite advantage there (not saying it's intentional, just saying it's real).

Uruguay's roster is 99% compiled of Euro Players... :wakeup

ElNono
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Uruguay's roster is 99% compiled of Euro Players... :wakeup

Sorry, didn't mean it as a slight. I know mostly the forwards are, I just don't know where the defense/midfield guys play.

urunobili
07-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Sorry, didn't mean it as a slight. I know mostly the forwards are, I just don't know where the defense/midfield guys play.

Coates is the only starter in UY (didn't start the tournament as such though) and he's bound to ManC shortly... he may stay one more season due to his age but his destiny is Europe.

From the entire roster, just him and third goalkeeper play in our league...

Sense
07-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Can't wait til Mexico beats Argentina, so you can talk to us like this.. :wakeup

ElNono
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Can't wait til Mexico beats Argentina, so you can talk to us like this.. :wakeup

Keep waiting :wakeup

:lol

You watching U20 today?

Sense
07-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Keep waiting :wakeup

:lol

You watching U20 today?

Yeah.... I'm going to try to keep up with the tournament, although I'm not very high on the Mexican team.

ElNono
07-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah.... I'm going to try to keep up with the tournament, although I'm not very high on the Mexican team.

I'll catch today's game and see what they look like... I'm not too sure what this Arg team looks like either