PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job while employed?

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Anyone here have experience looking for a job while already employed somewhere?

How do you go about that? working full time, it's gonna be hard scheduling/going to interviews. What are the ways I can get around it?

Also, it is true already working a job makes you more desirable to the employer?

I need some advice from people who have done job hunting while already employed tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
tbh i tried that this summer figuring i could get a night job as a bus boy just to pocket more money and put it on etrade (lol Jew), it failed miserably. Why you lookin for a 2nd job tbh?

Wild Cobra

My guess, it at least half have. Including myself.

How do you go about that? working full time, it's gonna be hard scheduling/going to interviews. What are the ways I can get around it?

You let the prospective employer know they may have to see you outside their normal hours, or you take some time off. Do you have a job with vacation accrual? I've never done this, but a friend of mine once took 6 weeks of vacation time to work for another employer. He ended up liking the old job better, so he quit the new job.

Also, it is true already working a job makes you more desirable to the employer?

Absolutely.

Prime1
You have to do what you can online. Then schedule some appointments for your day off. Also, this is one of those cases where contacting an employment agency can do wonders as they can do your leg work for you.

Prime1
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
By day off I don't mean sick day but scheduled pto if you have any.

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
tbh i tried that this summer figuring i could get a night job as a bus boy just to pocket more money and put it on etrade (lol Jew), it failed miserably. Why you lookin for a 2nd job tbh?

scrah that's is definitely jewish, but I don't mean a second job, I mean a better full time job. Basically I got hired for a temp assignment through a staffing agency working for a credit union. It's great experience(working for a financial institution is as good as it gets to pad your resume) and the pay is good, but the problem is they just went through a merger and cannot guarantee me a full time position when the assignment ends. I figure I start looking now and then I won't get stuck looking for another job when the assignment ends in about 4 months.

InRareForm
07-25-2011, 10:40 PM
all work, no play

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 10:40 PM
My guess, it at least half have. Including myself.

You let the prospective employer know they may have to see you outside their normal hours, or you take some time off. Do you have a job with vacation accrual? I've never done this, but a friend of mine once took 6 weeks of vacation time to work for another employer. He ended up liking the old job better, so he quit the new job.

Absolutely.

I'm working for a staffing agency, which basically means I don't really get the same benefits that full time employees get. I might get health insurance, but I think that's about it really.

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
You have to do what you can online. Then schedule some appointments for your day off. Also, this is one of those cases where contacting an employment agency can do wonders as they can do your leg work for you.

I'm working full time 9-5 right now, don't have a day off, doubt anyone will see me after 5 tbh. I don't think I wanna do this whole temp agency again, they find you a job alright but you don't get much benefits and also they take a % of your pay.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
scrah that's is definitely jewish, but I don't mean a second job, I mean a better full time job. Basically I got hired for a temp assignment through a staffing agency working for a credit union. It's great experience(working for a financial institution is as good as it gets to pad your resume) and the pay is good, but the problem is they just went through a merger and cannot guarantee me a full time position when the assignment ends. I figure I start looking now and then I won't get stuck looking for another job when the assignment ends in about 4 months.
If they told you that, then tell them you need a few hours at times to interview for work. They should understand that with no hard feelings.

ashbeeigh
07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes, working makes you look more desirable as a candidate. I'm working part-time right now but still looking for something full-time...yes I know that's not the advice you were looking for.

I have had three interviews for full time jobs since taking this part time position (in a month...). It's not hard looking, just do it online and passively stating to those you know in companies that you might be interested in "Hey, if you ever hear of anything let me know...I think I would be a great fit..."

Scheduling interviews for early in the morning or late in the afternoon is what I have been doing. Also during lunches is another good time. Flexing (if an option) is something else you can do to fit in the interview.

And if you're working at (or as) a temp it's expected that you are your A game continuing to look for other permanent positions. You wouldn't be the first temp to leave a position like that.

coyotes_geek
07-25-2011, 11:21 PM

Yes. Got the job I have now that way.

Anyone looking to hire someone who's already got a job will understand the scheduling difficulties. Don't be afraid to ask for an interview after normal working hours.

Usually.

I need some advice from people who have done job hunting while already employed tbh.

If you don't want your current employer to know that you're looking, be sure to tell that to the company you're interviewing with. Don't assume they'll assume that's what you want.

Don't use your current employers phone, fax, email or internet in your search. Should be common sense, but still bears mentioning.

GoodOdor
07-25-2011, 11:28 PM
If you don't want your current employer to know that you're looking, be sure to tell that to the company you're interviewing with. Don't assume they'll assume that's what you want.

Don't use your current employers phone, fax, email or internet in your search. Should be common sense, but still bears mentioning.

When I apply for jobs though, I should put my current place of work on my resume, right?

And then if they follow it up with an interview or a phone call, only then I should explain the situation(temp assignment, looking for full time, etc) correct?

coyotes_geek
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
When I apply for jobs though, I should put my current place of work on my resume, right?

Yes.

And then if they follow it up with an interview or a phone call, only then I should explain the situation(temp assignment, looking for full time, etc) correct?

Yeah. They'll probably ask you why you're looking to change jobs. What you said here is a good answer to that question.

ashbeeigh
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Okay, so I was thinking this morning...I've applied for three jobs since I started the one I'm at now and have landed all three interviews.

Here's some info on "discrimination" related to those looking for employment who are unemployed:

http://www.dcemploymentlawupdate.com/2011/02/articles/eeoc-1/eeoc-holds-public-hearing-on-unemployment-discrimination/

JudynTX
07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I just applied for another job, while FT employed. I was honest with my current boss, since I listed him as a reference. :)

eisfeld
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
It depens on the job you're applying for. A serious company might allow you to come after your work hours for the interview if they believe you can be a valuable addition.

Being honest with your current boss might work wonders too. If you're happy with your current job just tell him - either you might get your guaranteed position or he'll let you go to the interviews.

If possible work late a few days so you can take off a couple of hours during the day to go to the interviews.

And to be honest, if possible try to get a job where you can manage your own work time. You know beforehand how many hours a month you gotta work but when is up to you. It's really convenient when you have certain appointments outside your work life.

In your case I'd go with telling your boss. I'm quite sure he'll understand if he's not a real jerk.

fyatuk
07-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Currently doing this.

I haven't had an issue with this. My current supervisor lets me move my lunch hour around, take long lunches, and schedule vacation as little as a day in advance, so it's not really an issue for me (of course, my supervisor is also looking for a new job, and does the same thing).

I'd suggest blast scheduling. Instead of consistently sending out resumes, send out a crapload at once, then nothing for a while. I do this and I usually end up with 2-3 interviews a blast, which I can schedule on a single day if I need to. In my experience one blast every 2-3 weeks works well, but you might miss out on some short-lived openings.

Chingo Bling
07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey Ashbeeighs, si quieres trabajo why you no ask Chingo? Since you gots chingo de tetas you fit right in with my other maņosas. Yust ask me, I could always use another snow bunny.