PDA

View Full Version : Believe it, Gerald Wallace Is Better than Dirk Nowitzki

sribb43
07-26-2011, 07:58 AM
:lmao

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/345453-believe-it-gerald-wallace-is-better-than-dirk-nowitzki

Normally I don't get into the "Who is better" conversation, but after a recent article involving the words "Dirk" and "overrated", I feel there are still some people that don't quite get it.

Let's first establish the fact that I am a Pacers fan who realizes that Danny Granger is a bit overrated, which I have talked about in two recent articles. I have no emotion involved in the opinions that I express: I just look at the facts.

There has been a lot of talk, with the All-Star game in Dallas this weekend, that Dirk (a reserve) will be awarded the game MVP because he is the home town guy. Not only is the All-Star game itself a joke, but the MVP award really means nothing.

When I look at Dirk Nowitzki, I see a guy that is capable of being a monster, but chooses to be a great shooter, not much more. If I have the ball with eight seconds left and need a shot to win, he wouldn't be my first, second, or third choice, but I would definitely put his name in the conversation.

Much is made about his size, and the position that he plays. I have no problem with him playing on the perimeter so much, but when you have one post move as an NBA player, that's not good enough for me. A fade-away post jumper is hard to guard, but I haven't seen him do anything more than that down low.

Now that we have established that Dirk is a great shooter, let's talk about what else he is dominant at.

Well...

He isn't a good defender, and he doesn't really offer a shot-blocking presence. Okay, how about rebounding? This was a hot topic in my last article, and I have pointed out that in RP48, Dirk ranks 66th in the league. Initially I thought that was bad, and when I thought more about it, I realized just how awful it actually is.

You would think with a shooter like Jason Terry on the team, he would be able to kick out a few assists to him, or hit Jason Kidd for a spot up three. No, no, Dirk doesn't do that either.

On the other hand, Gerald Wallace has blossomed this season, and is taking the Bobcats franchise to a level they have never seen before. Steven Jackson has been a great addition to the team, but Wallace is the leader.

Before being named to the All-Star team this season, Wallace burst onto the scene as a scorer and shot blocker. He has improved his all-around game, and in my book, is better than Dirk.

Statistically, they have played about the same amount of time: Dirk 51 games to Wallace's 49. Dirk does average 5.5 points more per game, but Gerald shoots a better percentage, not just from inside the arc but outside as well. That was one stat that certainly surprised me; not only has Wallace made more three pointers, but he has actually shot more of them than Dirk.

They both only average a couple of assists per game, and perhaps Wallace should be averaging more with Jackson on the team, but they both should look to improve in that category. The steals per game goes to Wallace, with a two to one margin. They both average the same amount of blocks and have committed the same number of fouls, if that's even a relevant statistical category.

Perhaps the biggest difference in the statistics is the rebounding margin, which is almost four per game. This is the one area which I will always look at and grade you on. Especially if you are seven feet tall, Dirk.

When it comes to playing defense, there is no doubt Wallace is the better defender. The distance between the two in that category is wider than the Grand Canyon.

Some people will say Wallace is a thousand times better at dunking too. While it may be true, I wouldn't factor that into either player's overall NBA game.

Not many people lay back on their couch to watch a Bobcats game. I do believe once the playoffs are underway, people will finally find out about Gerald Wallace. Now only just how underrated he is, but that he is actually better than Dirk.

Lincoln
07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Sup tc

Halberto
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
You done now?

dirk4mvp
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
lol chad smith

Leetonidas
07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
http://operatorchan.org/m/src/m28480_what_the_fuck_am_a_reading.png

8FOR!3
07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
lol I'm not going to even read this. Gerald Wallace is a better athlete and a better defender. Dirk literally has the advantage at EVERY other aspect of the game...

FkLA
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
lGerald Wallace is a better athlete and a better defender. Dirk literally has the advantage at EVERY other aspect of the game...

no he doesnt :lol

greensborohill
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Scoring and offense is 70% of the game. If someone has a big advantage as an efficient scorer to the point where it opens up space for everyone else on his team. . . that trumps everything else Gerald Wallace can do. Lock the thread.

greensborohill
07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
You don't game plan for defenders and rebounders. You game plan superstars who score at will and create opportunities for their teamates that they otherwise would not have.

Leetonidas
07-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Scoring and offense is 70% of the game. If someone has a big advantage as an efficient scorer to the point where it opens up space for everyone else on his team. . . that trumps everything else Gerald Wallace can do. Lock the thread.

lol redundant. And no it's not. There's two sides of the court. Half the game is scoring, the other half is defending. The guy may open things up for his teammates but if he's getting dominated on the other end or isn't rotating or helping out then his team's going to get fucked either way.

stretch
07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
lol redundant. And no it's not. There's two sides of the court. Half the game is scoring, the other half is defending. The guy may open things up for his teammates but if he's getting dominated on the other end or isn't rotating or helping out then his team's going to get fucked either way.

okay, lets not kid ourselves...

if you could build a team around an elite scorer that isn't particularly strong in most other areas of the game, or build around an elite defender/rebounder, that is a weak scorer, 100 times out of 100 you build around the scorer.

to illustrate...

Dirk, one of the greatest scorers who has had defensive issues in his career and an inconsistent rebounder (especially offensive rebounding)

or

Rodman, arguably both the best rebounder and defender the game has ever seen, with a great will to contribute however he can (and a very underrated passer too) but not a strong scorer.

Who do you build around?

stretch
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
its just like the quarterback position in football... its an offensive position. sure, defense is extremely important, but by far the most important position to have a strong leader at, is the QB position.

the team leader pretty much always has to be a strong offensive weapon. When was the last time a teams leader was not a strong scorer? I'm not sure that has ever happened.

mavsfan1000
07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
You build your team around an elite scorer. You don't build your team off of an elite defender. There are 4 other positions that teams can score on defense while the offense is usually built around your superstar. So I'll take an elite scorer over an elite defender anytime. Saying that defense and offense is equal is like saying Bruce Bowen is equal to Dirk. Ridiculous.

stretch
07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I've always said, neither offense nor defense wins championships. Balance wins championships. And when it comes to offense, its easy to build a good offense around one monster offensive player, and one or two complimentary pieces. But when it comes to defense, having one monster defender is never going to be enough. You need virtually the entire team playing hard, smart defense in order to have a championship caliber defense. So I will spend my first pick on a scoring machine, then use the rest of my picks to create balance, especially on defense.

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
no way is wallace better than Dirk.

mavsfan1000
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah a role player compared to a superstar. Gerald Wallace doesn't space the floor well as he is not a reliable shooter. It has always been his weakness.