PDA

View Full Version : WalMart.com now does streaming movies, same day as DVD release.

phyzik
07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/07/walmart-adds-streaming-video-to-its-site.html

Wal-Mart purchased Vudu ( www.vudu.com ) back in 2010 for $100 million, a start-up company similar to Netflix. They are claiming all movies that are available on DVD will be available the same day of release on their website for streaming.

Rental prices range from 99 cents to $5.99. Digital purchases are priced from $4.99 to $24.99.

phyzik
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
For those looking for an alternative to Netflix after the price hike, Vudu is pretty cool...... No subscription fee's (pay as you go), a ton of their content is in 1080p HD and so far their claims of same-day streaming as DVD release has not faltered.

BlackSwordsMan
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I think amazon does something similar if you purchase the dvd

Tinystarz
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Netflix is ahead now since you don't need a computer for streaming. They have apps preinstalled in ps3,wii,new tvs and such. Unless you can do it some other way. I'm new to the ps3 and streaming :lol
But with powerhouse walmart behind the new site maybe they can push them ahead. Streaming new DVD's is pretty cool. As long as the price is right. I don't see people streaming for over 2,3$ however.

Fpoonsie
07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah, 'starz has a point.

Besides, Blockbuster already streams movies the day they're released on a pay-as-you-go type format, too. It's the price per streaming new movies that keeps all of these types of services outta tha running.

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Netflix is ahead now since you don't need a computer for streaming. They have apps preinstalled in ps3,wii,new tvs and such. Unless you can do it some other way. I'm new to the ps3 and streaming :lol
But with powerhouse walmart behind the new site maybe they can push them ahead. Streaming new DVD's is pretty cool. As long as the price is right. I don't see people streaming for over 2,3$ however.

You don't need a computer for streaming Amazon or Vudu either. Both are preinstalled on Panasonic Blu Ray players. And I assume others.

Drachen
07-27-2011, 02:31 PM

You can get VUDU on a lot of digital media adapters, TVs, etc. I don't think it has quite the proliferation of Netflix, but it is not far off.

cheguevara
07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah, 'starz has a point.

Besides, Blockbuster already streams movies the day they're released on a pay-as-you-go type format, too. It's the price per streaming new movies that keeps all of these types of services outta tha running.

agree with this. for a measly 5 movies it adds up to about $15. that's about what I'm paying for unlimited streaming from netflix. makes NO sense

cantthinkofanything
07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
agree with this. for a measly 5 movies it adds up to about $15. that's about what I'm paying for unlimited streaming from netflix. makes NO sense

I think it works in certain situations. I've got UVerse so I see a lot of movies ONDemand. So outside of that, I really only watch about 5 or 6 movies a month. I'm OK paying $30 (as opposed to $15 for Netflix) if it means I can actually watch what I want to (and in HD). I tried Netflix but was ultimately not happy with it.

Blake
07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I think it works in certain situations. I've got UVerse so I see a lot of movies ONDemand. So outside of that, I really only watch about 5 or 6 movies a month. I'm OK paying $30 (as opposed to $15 for Netflix) if it means I can actually watch what I want to (and in HD). I tried Netflix but was ultimately not happy with it.

I wish the ONDemand movies were cheaper, but I do like it.

IronMaxipad
07-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Vudu is like $5 per HD movie.. netflix streaming is still only 7.99 unlimited..

If you want new releases Red box is way cheaper than vudu