PDA

View Full Version : Nazr's Shooting Touch

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Dude has a nice looking free throw stroke for a big man. His free throw attempts have lots of arc and he makes a pretty good percentage of them.

That being the case, why couldn't he be a better shooter from the perimeter? I've always wondered about that. Sure, shooting free throws and shooting perimeter shots in the flow of the game are different, but it's clear that he can shoot the ball with a lot of arc and that he's got a decent touch.

I don't see why he shouldn't be a decent outside shooter for a big man.

He's been doing a fine job, but I've just been wondering about that.

Leetonidas
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
When he hit that 1 three pointer, it was UUUUUGGGGGLLLLY.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I think he could be a great outside shooter, but I've had this discussion with whott - we don't NEED him to be.

He's in there to rebound, block shots, and clean up the offensive glass. He does those things very well.

Dude usually gets 6-12 points a game all off the offensive glass. Nothing wrong with that.

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I think he could be a great outside shooter, but I've had this discussion with whott - we don't NEED him to be.

He's in there to rebound, block shots, and clean up the offensive glass. He does those things very well.

Dude usually gets 6-12 points a game all off the offensive glass. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, I agree. He's doing all he needs to do. He doesn't need to shoot the ball well from the perimeter.

I just wonder why he doesn't. It seems like he should have a good stroke.

ducks
06-12-2005, 11:10 PM
please no
I rose thought he could be then he did not do the stuff that he was paid to do
he shots those long shots he can not get those rebounds

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:11 PM
please no
I rose thought he could be then he did not do the stuff that he was paid to do
he shots those long shots he can not get those rebounds

Again, I'm not asking him to do it. I'm just wondering why he isn't good at it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Again, like I said, there's no reason to. It's not like he's out there setting things up for the pick and roll a lot.

About 90% of our plays involve him on the weakside, coming in when the defense is focused on Tim and Manu, to clean up the offensive glass.

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Again, like I said, there's no reason to. It's not like he's out there setting things up for the pick and roll a lot.

About 90% of our plays involve him on the weakside, coming in when the defense is focused on Tim and Manu, to clean up the offensive glass.

You're missing the point of the thread. As I've said all along, I'm not asking him to change. I'm happy with the way he's playing. I'm just wondering why he's always had a reputation as a poor perimeter shooter.

His free throw stroke suggests that he could be a decent perimeter shooter. Why isn't he?

ChumpDumper
06-12-2005, 11:14 PM
It's funny when he does set a pick -- he just follows right after the guy he set a pick for to get the offensive board or dish.

T Park
06-12-2005, 11:14 PM
In the offseason i would work with Nazr on a low post hook shot, that IMO looks great, but doesnt take enough.

Once again, some more work with the Spurs coaches, and this guy is an all star.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Why do you care about his perimeter game? I think I can count the number of outside jumpers he's taken in his career on one hand.

It's all about doing your job, playing your role, and the outside jumper is not part of Nazr's role.

ALl he needs to develop is a strong jump hook, and and an up and under move, and that's all we need from him.

T Park
06-12-2005, 11:19 PM
ALl he needs to develop is a strong jump hook, and and an up and under move, and that's all we need from him.

Exactly right.

Thats all a center should worry about.

Hook shot, strong up and unders, put back dunks.

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Why do you care about his perimeter game? I think I can count the number of outside jumpers he's taken in his career on one hand.

It's all about doing your job, playing your role, and the outside jumper is not part of Nazr's role.

Because it's fun to throw aside players' roles sometimes and talk about their strengths and weaknesses and why they aren't able to do certain things. Why are you so bothered by talking about what a Spurs player is or isn't capable of doing? It's possible to stop looking at just his role on the team for just a minute and consider what he really is as a player and what he could be.

I mean, Beno's role is to play solid backup point guard for this team. Is it bad to talk about him in any other context? I think it's fun to talk about his strengths and weaknesses while trying to figure out what kind of player he'll become.

And a player's role is often determined by their strengths. With Rasho, hitting that midrange perimeter shot was a part of his role. If Nazr was one of the best perimeter shooting big men in the league, it would become part of his role because it would make the Spurs a better team.

I'm not advocating that he step out of his role right now. I'm simply wondering why he isn't a better perimeter shooter and thinking about what kind of player he could be if he was.

Sometimes it's O.K. to consider players outside of their particular roles on a specific team at a specific time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2005, 11:29 PM
I think we know the strengths and weaknesses of everyone on the team.

To me, talking about Nazr shooting from the perimeter is akin to talking about Beno or Tony posting guys up, or running the offense through Bruce Bowen. Not gonna happen.

E20
06-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Brodels, I see a difference between the FT shot and the regular jump shot in HS basketball A LOT. A lot of players have different mechanics when shooting FT or jumpers. I know I do. Jumpshots have more variables than shooting constant FT's. So Nazr's shot mechanics are different in his jump shot but, then again I'm talking about HS basketball. :lol

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Beno and Tony are pretty small to be posting up other guards. That's why it will never happen.

Pretend for a moment that Nazr isn't currently filling a role on the Spurs. Look at him outside of his role on the team for just a minute. Look at the nice arc on his free throws. Wonder why that couldn't allow him to be a great perimeter shooter.

That's all I was ever saying. I'm talking about Nazr's ability, not his role on the team.

Besides, Beno and Tony won't ever be great post players because they are small. Bowen has done nothing to suggest that the offense should run through him. But Nazr has shown that he has a nice arc when shooting the ball from the line. That's an indication that maybe he could succeed on the perimeter. But he hasn't. And I'm wondering why it hasn't translated.

Brodels
06-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Brodels, I see a difference between the FT shot and the regular jump shot in HS basketball A LOT. A lot of players have different mechanics when shooting FT or jumpers. I know I do. Jumpshots have more variables than shooting constant FT's. So Nazr's shot mechanics are different in his jump shot but, then again I'm talking about HS basketball. :lol

Well, you've got a point. It's probably a similar situation with Nazr. He's got a real nice arc though. Why couldn't he adjust his mechanics on the perimeter to mimic what he does at the line?

E20
06-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Why couldn't he adjust his mechanics on the perimeter to mimic what he does at the line?
Not that is a pretty tough thing to do. My Asst Coach helped me with my jumpshot and said shoot your jump shot like you do your FT's. I had the problem of cranking my elbow on my jumper but, having it straight on my FT's. Well, I practiced for about an hour shooting my jumper like I do my FT's problem is I had to do it really slowly so I know my mechanics mirrored my FT mechanics, while I was thinking of doing that my eyes sometimes would focus on my elbow instead of the front of the rim and I had to completely re-time my release when I jump but, then again I'm a HS player and Nazr is a pro. :lol

If Nazr hopes to have a good jumper, he has to work out with whoever over the summer. Chances are Nazr could probably drain 15 in a row in practice.

Mr. Body
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
I think Nazr could get a good jumper down. He might be thinking about it too much, or gets spooked when finding himself out that far -- it might be a case of simply never needing to shoot from there.

P.S. I understand the tenor of the question and wonder why anybody would hijack this thread with inanities.

P.S.S. I never expect Nazr to shoot from outside, to want to, or to need to.