PDA

View Full Version : Would You Let Your 9 Year Old Watch Black Hawk Down?

PM5K
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Nine-year-old Tristin Saghin became a hero Sunday when he saved his 2-year-old sister using CPR he learned watching the movie "Black Hawk Down."

LINK (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arizona-year-boy-tristin-saghin-saved-sister-cpr/story?id=13428007)

The story is being played in a positive light, but the reality is these parents let their child watch a movie he's way too young to be watching, and left their daughter in a situation where she could fall into a swimming pool and almost drown.

That's a hard movie for me to watch, letting a nine year old watch it, repeatedly?

benefactor
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
I've always been one to allow kids to keep their innocence as long as possible. The world seems to want to take it from them at a younger and younger age. So that said, no I would not let my 9 year old watch Black Hawk Down.

I remember going to the movies to see Wanted and seeing a set of parent bring their whole young family in. There were three kids...with the oldest probably around 10, they middle about 6 and an infant. My wife and I looked at each other and gave each other an simultaneous inferred facepalm.

benefactor
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
double

DesignatedT
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
fuck yeah

PM5K
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
The thing is I'm not one to go overboard on things like that, but a nine year old watching a movie like that? I have a nine year old and there's just no way.

Chomag
07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
9 is to young imo, I even have a hard time watching it myself. No reason and or benfit a child should be exposed to that.

Let them have their childhood innocence as long as you can provide it.

The realness of a fucked up world that they live in can wait, it's not going anywhere unfortunately..

I'm glad there was a life saved but there are many other more effective and correct ways to learn how to do CPR "correctly" other then seeing it done on some movie. So I have a very hard time agreeing that learning through this move was a benefit.

Sisk
07-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I guess yall don't want your 9 year olds to save lives............................................. ...............

boutons_deux
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
BHD as a childrens' training for CPR is brain-dead stupid.

PM5K
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I guess yall don't want your 9 year olds to save lives............................................. ...............

I'd rather I didn't let my two year old drown in a pool.

I'll show you how shitty these parents are, the mother AND grandmother both went to call for help and left the girl with her nine year old brother.

CubanSucks
07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
too young for that realistic disturbing violence imo

ALVAREZ6
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
ok WTF is going on here... 2 adult males (at least I believe they are men) just admitted it's hard for them to watch BHD.

Chomag
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
ok WTF is going on here... 2 adult males (at least I believe they are men) just admitted it's hard for them to watch BHD.

If you have a soul then of course it is. IT's not even about the blood and guts.

Cane
07-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Kids grow up fast nowadays so tbh depends on the kid.

I'd rather have the kid learn survival skills through the boy scouts than sitting on a couch but w/e.

When I was a kid not too long ago, South Park and Goldeneye N64 were huge FWIW and they're not exactly kiddie stuff

PM5K
07-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Saving Private Ryan gave a lot of vets problems. Movies nowadays can be unbelievably realistic, and when it's based on reality, it makes it harder to take.

PM5K
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Shit like South Park and Motal Kombat just don't compare.

CommanderMcBragg
07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes, I would.

thispego
07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
lol black hawk down? Y'all are sone fuckin panty waists if you think that movie is too graphic for a 9 year old. Keep the strong sexual content away, but black hawk down? :rolleyes

:lol

Cane
07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Shit like South Park and Motal Kombat just don't compare.

Yea I'd say South Park deals with more stuff that would taint a 9 year old's innocence than Black Hawk Down. And you won't learn CPR from it or gain a deep appreciation for military folk.

CubanSucks
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Kids grow up fast nowadays so tbh depends on the kid.

I'd rather have the kid learn survival skills through the boy scouts than sitting on a couch but w/e.

When I was a kid not too long ago, South Park and Goldeneye N64 were huge FWIW and they're not exactly kiddie stuff

South Park is only bad for the language and a little bit of gross stuff but it's only animation. As far as Goldeneye, it's also animation and you can control it which takes a lot away from it imo. A lot different than just sitting there watching realistic violence with good effects and acting

thispego
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Saving Private Ryan gave a lot of vets problems. Movies nowadays can be unbelievably realistic, and when it's based on reality, it makes it harder to take.

Kids aren't gonna have the same problem with SPR and BHD that vets do :lol

Cane
07-28-2011, 05:29 PM
South Park is only bad for the language and a little bit of gross stuff but it's only animation. As far as Goldeneye, it's also animation and you can control it which takes a lot away from it imo. A lot different than just sitting there watching realistic violence with good effects and acting

South Park also delves into a lot of mature and "adult" content. If the kids can handle it then more power to them tbh.

Tbh I want to give the kid props for watching Black Hawk Down so many times. Sure its a quality movie but it also dragged on and got :sleep and this is coming from a military brat/injured Marine. It is a great story of brotherhood though and a kid will learn appreciation and apparently also CPR unlike watching South Park and Goldeneye N64.

Hooks
07-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Sure.

Shit, when I was like 7 I was already watching Night of the Living Dead, Chucky, Jurassic Park, Dawn of the dead, Demon Knight, pretty much every single gory horror movie made in the 80's/90's. My friends dad had a big ass collection of all the movies and we'd watch them all the time.

The first time I saw a faces of death video (which I thought was 100% real lol) was when I was in 6th grade (I was 11).

I find it kind of funny how people bitch about showing this sort of content to a child saying that it's going to scar them for the rest of their lives or something like that, but they have no problem with taking their kid hunting, shooting, killing, then skinning an animal.

ALVAREZ6
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
If you have a soul then of course it is. IT's not even about the blood and guts.

crofl if a have a soul.

So, if you have a soul, then it has to be tough for one to watch movies with unpleasant subjects based on true events? :rolleyes

--> It's a damn movie, we can't change history.

ALVAREZ6
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I find it kind of funny how people bitch about showing this sort of content to a child saying that it's going to scar them for the rest of their lives or something like that, but they have no problem with taking their kid hunting, shooting, killing, then skinning an animal.
The people who do the former likely do not do the latter, and/or vice versa.

Sisk
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I'd rather I didn't let my two year old drown in a pool.

I'll show you how shitty these parents are, the mother AND grandmother both went to call for help and left the girl with her nine year old brother.

:lol

Yeah, I was fucking around, but it's pretty incredible they left their 9 year old to save their child.

CubanSucks
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
South Park also delves into a lot of mature and "adult" content. If the kids can handle it then more power to them tbh.

Tbh I want to give the kid props for watching Black Hawk Down so many times. Sure its a quality movie but it also dragged on and got :sleep and this is coming from a military brat/injured Marine. It is a great story of brotherhood though and a kid will learn appreciation and apparently also CPR unlike watching South Park and Goldeneye N64.

but the kids won't even know what the hell the show's talking about. The mature content in South Park might as well be like the adults in the Peanut's cartoon going "wah wah, wah wah wah"

BlackSwordsMan
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
If his sister also has her varicose vein sticking out of her leg he can learn what not to do as well.

thispego
07-28-2011, 07:37 PM

:lmao

Wild Cobra
07-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Would You Let Your 9 Year Old Watch Black Hawk Down?
Hell no.

Sense
07-29-2011, 03:45 AM
:lmao Wow since when is it hard to watch Black Hawk Down? I mean c'mon, I like the movie...

when I was about... what 6-7 years old, I learned about an abandoned house, where people got raped... in the ass.

That was the first time I learned about sex.. and I was around 6-7, I think I was in first grade.. 2 years later, I was fluent in cursing.

Now you're telling me, that your kid... shouldn't watch a movie about war? What do you think these kids play? My 10 year old cousin plays Black Ops, He LOVES killing other "newbs" and talks about the guns all the time...

Bad Parenting? Just look out that they don't come out psycho, truth is kids these days know more about life than you think they do, and you can't help that, unless they're home-schooled.. Chances are they're not even paying attention to the focus of the film...

PM5K
07-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Blackops ain't black hawk down.