PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is no MJ, and Dirk is no Duncan

DMC
07-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Throughout most of his career, Kobe has been loosely compared to MJ. Since it's been established some time ago and well accepted that Kobe will never be at MJ's level, Lebron has taken up that cross and is carrying it toward his Mt Calvary (he is the king afterall).

With Dirk's recent success, he's been compared to the greatest PF of all time, Tim Duncan, at least by some lower level posters on this forum.

How much does it bother Mavs fans that Dirk will always be compared to the greatest of all time, Tim Duncan, and will always fall short? The MJ comparison certainly has been a thorn in the side of Laker fan for years, and they still get defensive over it to this day knowing that Kobe is one and done, for all intents and purposes.

Tim is as good as retired, yet Dirk has at least one more good year to go for a ring. However, even if the chips fall for the Mavs, Dirk will only have 2 rings (yet a b2b) and will likely be considered over Barkley, but probably not over Malone (hard to know). He will not be considered over Duncan.

The Mavs fans have a lifetime of waiting for another superstar caliber player that they can use as a poster boy for their cause.

On a scale from one to ten, with ten being the worst feeling in the world and one being "meh", how do you as a Mavs fan feel about the prospects of Dirk's legacy?

Secondly, wouldn't it be better for Mavs fans if they compared Dirk to someone like Dolph Schayes or Bob McAdoo?

Monostradamus
07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Dirk Played Championship Level Defense.

Proxy
07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Dirk Played Championship Level Defense.

link?

Monostradamus
07-30-2011, 04:06 PM
link?

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310612014

pass1st
07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
10/10 thread, I'll tweet it to ESPN

badfish22
07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
:lol now spurfan is forced to start arguing Timmy>Dirk even though no one has said otherwise. They're gettin nervous. God help you all if Dirk has another fantastic season/playoff run next year.

Findog's Ex Fiancee
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
fish and ex fiancee, running the option, and they have no idea how to contain it.

DMC
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
:lol now Bullfan is forced to start arguing Michael>Kobe even though no one has said otherwise. They're gettin nervous. God help you all if Kobe has another fantastic season/playoff run next year.

fify

DMC
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
fish and ex fiancee, running the option, and they have no idea how to contain it.
posting as a girl... :lol

badfish22
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
fify

What? When did bullsfan ever do that? And no one said otherwise? I may have to introduce you to a certain lakerfan with highlights.

DMC
07-30-2011, 04:52 PM
What? When did Spurfan ever do that? And no one said otherwise? I may have to introduce you to a certain lakerfan with highlights.
fify fishy

Stalin
07-30-2011, 07:46 PM
5 start thread, will read again, and recommend to family and friends

adrienne
07-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Dirk is by no means "a Duncan". But because Dirk is different than what we've seen before, it's hard to really compare him to anyone. I think that gets him a lot of crap he doesn't really deserve.

DMC
07-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Dirk is by no means "a Duncan". But because Dirk is different than what we've seen before, it's hard to really compare him to anyone. I think that gets him a lot of crap he doesn't really deserve.

He will be compared though, just as Kobe and Lebron have been compared to MJ ad nauseum. Neither of them have the same role, neither are the same types of player that MJ was. Both had enormous potential, both really good players, but neither were at the overall quality and effectiveness level of MJ. Dirk isn't at the level of Duncan, career wise. I don't think he will ever be. That's why I think it's better and more fair to compare Dirk to a Bob McAdoo or Dolph Schayes than to Tim, Karl or Charles.

Monostradamus
07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
That's why I think it's better and more fair to compare Dirk to a Bob McAdoo or Dolph Schayes than to Tim, Karl or Charles.

:lmao

1 ring, faggot!

dirk4mvp
07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Malone or Barkley never played championship level defense.

badfish22
07-31-2011, 06:58 PM
fify fishy

That made no sense, stop trying to recover.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
That's why I think it's better and more fair to compare Dirk to a Bob McAdoo or Dolph Schayes than to Tim, Karl or Charles.
I agree, comparing Dirk to a 6'7" 195 lbs. Jewish center who would struggle in the current day NBA's D-league is a great idea.