PDA

View Full Version : Are players working? Bruce Bowen wonders

Libri
08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Are players working? Bruce Bowen wonders
by Ethan J. Skolnick

Bruce Bowen emerged as a legitimate NBA player during his time with the Miami Heat, and then won three championships with the San Antonio Spurs.

Bowen is now an ESPN analyst, and was at the Zo’s Summer Groove events last week.

His concern if the league again is forced to go to a compressed schedule, like in 1998-99?

“I was younger then, but for guys 32 and above, it’s going to affect them, those three back-to-backs. That’s something that you can’t prepare for, even in training camp. The biggest issue is if guys aren’t taking care of themselves right now. You remember when Shawn Kemp came back, 50 pounds heavier? Guys say ‘Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I’m good, good.’ But you’re not in shape like if you were in camp. Conditioning is huge. And it’s a shortened season, where if anyone gets on a roll the right way, they can go, go and go.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatzone/2011/07/29/will-players-work-bruce-bowen-wonders/

Cane
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Hopefully Blair doesn't follow in the fat footsteps of Shawn Kemp. James Anderson needs to hit the cardio too in order to make up for his lack of conditioning while injured.

Bowen would be a great teacher for Leonard. RIP Spurs defense

Libri
08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Hopefully Blair doesn't follow in the fat footsteps of Shawn Kemp.

First player that came to my mind, also. :lol

ALVAREZ6
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Bruce brings up a great point, but it only applies to the Spurs players if they are 100% sure they will arrive for training camp healthy.

frodo
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
vets should always keep a high training level getting fat yourself ain't the result of a prolonged offseason but your own laziness imho