PDA

View Full Version : Are the Eagles becoming the Miami Heat of the NFL?

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 04:24 PM
These guys are grabbing every FA, and it looks like McKinnie and Tatupu might end up there too. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might root for the Cowboys in a couple games this year :vomit:

stretch
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
No, because they aren't annointing themselves as being the next big thing, stating that they will win 8 (or any) championships, or having a celebration of signing free agents.

They made a lot of smart releases and kept a lot of cap space open, allowing them to pull this off. Being cheap may have finally paid off for them.

stretch
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
however things might be getting worse... now rumors are coming out that the Eagles and 49ers are in discussions to trade Asante Samuel and parts for Patrick Fucking Willis............................................ ... now if THIS happens... the league is officially fucked, barring injury.

I. Hustle
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
No, the guys they are bringing in so far are quality guys. They aren't throwing parades and acting like douchebags before the season even starts.

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
however things might be getting worse... now rumors are coming out that the Eagles and 49ers are in discussions to trade Asante Samuel and parts for Patrick Fucking Willis............................................ ... now if THIS happens... the league is officially fucked, barring injury.

Jesus fucking Christ tell me that's a joke...

stretch
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM

only time will tell, but thats the latest rumor floating around...

Isitjustme?
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM

I don't see anything about it on Google News yet.

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
I haven't seen anything on it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was for Samuel and draft picks. Harbaugh badly wants to go 0-16 so he and Luck can be reunited.

ALVAREZ6
08-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Well they probably aren't trying to keep all 3 starting caliber QBs on the team and Asante is the obvious one to leave, that move if serious for Willis would be $$$$$$

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
No, because they aren't annointing themselves as being the next big thing, stating that they will win 8 (or any) championships, or having a celebration of signing free agents.

They made a lot of smart releases and kept a lot of cap space open, allowing them to pull this off. Being cheap may have finally paid off for them.

This.

On top of that from what I can tell so far the media isn't jizzing themselves every time they mention the Eagles. They're certainly roundly being lauded for having the best offseason in the league but there's no massive amount of people declaring them the champs yet either. Honestly I think that's just the nature of covering football. Injuries are such a pronounced part of the game that picking a strong favorite before anyone snaps the ball is at best a roll of the dice. On top of that it's the difference between a game of 5 starters vs. 22. There's way more moving parts on a football field so chemistry is even more important and they are bringing in a lot of FAs in an abbreviated offseason.

And even if they do become every bit as dominant as they COULD be I don't think they'll see the sort of backlash the Heat did. They're a franchise with a long history, in a city with a great sports tradition, and in the last decade they've been good enough that people who were bandwagoners in the McNabb days have been cheering long enough that it's a habit now. Just as the media and the players turned people off on the Heat the nature of their market and fanbase did too. The Heat are a franchise without much tradition so almost all of their fans came across as bandwagoners, especially with celebrities suddenly getting courtside seats and showing up halfway through the second quarter.

Geez, that turned out longer than I planned. Sorry.

ALVAREZ6
08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
This.

On top of that from what I can tell so far the media isn't jizzing themselves every time they mention the Eagles. They're certainly roundly being lauded for having the best offseason in the league but there's no massive amount of people declaring them the champs yet either. Honestly I think that's just the nature of covering football. Injuries are such a pronounced part of the game that picking a strong favorite before anyone snaps the ball is at best a roll of the dice. On top of that it's the difference between a game of 5 starters vs. 22. There's way more moving parts on a football field so chemistry is even more important and they are bringing in a lot of FAs in an abbreviated offseason.

And even if they do become every bit as dominant as they COULD be I don't think they'll see the sort of backlash the Heat did. They're a franchise with a long history, in a city with a great sports tradition, and in the last decade they've been good enough that people who were bandwagoners in the McNabb days have been cheering long enough that it's a habit now. Just as the media and the players turned people off on the Heat the nature of their market and fanbase did too. The Heat are a franchise without much tradition so almost all of their fans came across as bandwagoners, especially with celebrities suddenly getting courtside seats and showing up halfway through the second quarter.

Geez, that turned out longer than I planned. Sorry.

I agree with all of that, it just doesn't make much sense to be declaring champs before the season begins, especially in football. As you pointed out there are so many important pieces to the puzzle and injuries are hard to avoid in this game, also the Eagles haven't had the best of luck in the past with injuries...the season rarely plays out optimally in the NFL, injury-wise.

Besides, the offseason isn't over, the Pats, Saints, and Jets are still around, I wouldn't claim the Eagles champs just yet.

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 05:11 PM
It's only a matter of time till DaSean Jackson makes them hateable

dirk4mvp
08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
P Willy = :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Until that happens, they're still a beatable team.

lol cowboys and redskins fighting to see who's the turd of the nfc east.

Fabbs
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
interweb krew rumors or ?

link

Monostradamus
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
:lmao imagine the implosion of chodes around here if the Eagles win the title.

:cry VY, World Champion of Football :cry

dirk4mvp
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
agreed, he would have to be a championship level bench warmer for the Eagles to win the title though.

symple19
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen shit about a Willis deal. That would be one of the most retarded deals evah

But, the Niners just keep making horrible moves. Aubrayo Franklin is gone and now Dashon Goldson will probably follow.

Lunacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Monostradamus
08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
agreed, he would have to be a championship level bench warmer for the Eagles to win the title though.

The Ring's The Thing!

VY = 1
Peyton = 1

after the season is over of course.

rofl

Hooks
08-02-2011, 07:21 PM
The Eagles just snatched up Ronnie Brown today, a combo of him and McCoy is going to be one of the best in the league. They're going to be SICK next year.

I'm just so surprised they're actually spending money, they're one of the CHEAPEST teams in the NFL, they gave Don nothing but 3rd and 4th string players to throw to (except for T.O), a bunch of backups, and now they're finally spending money going all out.

The Eagles are the Trail Blazers of the NFL though, EVERY SINGLE year there is someone with a season ending injury, shit never fails, they have to be the most injury plagued team in the past 10 years it happens with key players too.

If they can get a good LB and a safety they'll be almost unbeatable, they'll be blowing out the best teams in the NFL when fully healthy. Their O-line will be a lot better this year as well which makes Vick and the running game better.

TIMMYtoZO
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Lame comparison. The Heat have actually won a title. The overrated eagles haven't won shit. Keep overlooking the Giants. They are a much better well rounded team than Philly. Them resigning Bradshaw pretty much makes the nfc east theirs to lose.

dirk4mvp
08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
The Ring's The Thing!

VY = 1
Peyton = 1

after the season is over of course.

rofl

suicide attempts

vy - 1 (maybe more)
peyton - 0

lol matt jones

Monostradamus
08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
suicide attempts

vy - 1 (maybe more)
peyton - 0

lol what a waste of talent. bred from the womb to be the GOAT and he can only win one on a Rex Grossman technicality :lmao

lol matt jones

lol snead

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
:lol Vick
:lol Young
:lol people thinking a black QB will win the superbowl

dirk4mvp
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
lol snead

Rememba det one time I let you out of a bet solely based on how much of a loser at life Matt Jones is?

Monostradamus
08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Rememba det one time I let you out of a bet solely based on how much of a loser at life Matt Jones is?

rememba det one time jevan snead was projected to be the #1 overall pick in the draft, then went undrafted :lmao

dirk4mvp
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Too bad we never made a bet on it.

lol matt jones :cry in del rio's dog house :cry

I wonder if my QB will have a good year this season if I say he's past his prime and not elite anymore, tbh.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
rememba det time I let mono out of a bet where he said R:lolddy Beaubi:lols would average 14 points per game :lol

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Lame comparison. The Heat have actually won a title. The overrated eagles haven't won shit. Keep overlooking the Giants. They are a much better well rounded team than Philly. Them resigning Bradshaw pretty much makes the nfc east theirs to lose.
Lol Broncos

Monostradamus
08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
rememba det time I let mono out of a bet where he said R:lolddy Beaubi:lols would average 14 points per game :lol

Injury exemption tbh the bet was called off for that.

DAF86
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Vick performing like he did last season is very far from a sure thing.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Injury exemption tbh the bet was called off for that.
Dont rememba an injury exception in the bet
I guess
I guess
I gotta
charge it to tha game!

ginobili's bald spot
08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
These guys are grabbing every FA, and it looks like McKinnie and Tatupu might end up there too. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might root for the Cowboys in a couple games this year :vomit:

Are you serious with that comparison? Just because they've made good moves this off season doesn't make them the heat. And it's no reason to hate.

DeadlyDynasty
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Are you serious with that comparison? Just because they've made good moves this off season doesn't make them the heat. And it's no reason to hate.

I have an irrational hatred of all things NFC East...goes back to early childhood, for obvious reasons.

pawe
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
LOL if they dont make the playoffs, eagle fans are gonna burn the stadium.

slick'81
08-03-2011, 02:26 PM
every fa within a 1000 miles`will be on the eagles with in a week lol

JoeTait75
08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
They're the Eagles. Something will go wrong for them, it always seems to.

DeadlyDynasty
08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
They're the Eagles. Something will go wrong for them, it always seems to.

This is true.