PDA

View Full Version : Moneyball trailer

SA210
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM
-4QPVo0UIzc

I'm definitely going to watch this. :hat

The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

Director: Bennett Miller
Writers: Steven Zaillian (screenplay), Aaron Sorkin (screenplay)
Stars: Brad Pitt, Robin Wright and Jonah Hill

Monostradamus
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Ron Washington made the trailer! or the actor who plays him, anyways.

Monostradamus
08-03-2011, 04:43 PM
other than the ultrageneric music, that trailer was pretty good

redzero
08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I can't wait for the film about Daryl Morey.

SA210
08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
The TV spot

WENtRDCF-zE

Trainwreck2100
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
so is this the first use of saber metrics?

BlackSwordsMan
08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
brad pitt :eyebrows:eyebrows:eyebrows:eyebrows:eyebrows

JMarkJohns
08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
So, when does the Championship team take place? And I mean in Oakland (or markets like 'em), not the money-spending disciples in the larger markets.

Seems like a good movie, but why tease with a title never attained? Sort of undercuts the success actually had. What was done was impressive/revolutionary enough. No need to cheapen it by throwing around "championship team" talk.

My friend who has written for the Chicago AP and now writes elsewhere likes to discuss that, for all their budgetary restraints, the early 2000s A's had as much or more talent than anyone, and they failed to even win a playoff series... at least not together as their dominant core from 2000-2004.

I mean, Damon has his rings, Mulder and Zito theirs, Isringhausen his, Dye his, etc... but as a team?

SA210
08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Trailer 2. A more in depth trailer. I love it. :tu

_tvh5edD22c

SA210
08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Jonah Hill lost some major weight

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/16/jonah-hill-dramatic-weight-loss_n_900580.html

SA210
09-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I haven't been this excited about a sports movie since Jerry Maguire.

:hat

B5iRDo8g47A

WlE9gqe0IHw

WPMgdnjEusM&feature=relmfu

CubanSucks
09-09-2011, 06:31 PM
:sleep

baseball's the shittiest most boring sport ever created, this we all already know (I don't count golf as a sport in case you're wondering). On top of that, it's not even about the sport itself but technology being used to revolutionize the sport. And on top of that, add the now slimmed down kike Jonah Hill for horrible comedic relief....I'll pass

Fpoonsie
09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
-4QPVo0UIzc

I'm definitely going to watch this. :hat

Dude. He stole that "50 ft a' crap" line from his ex wife's old tv show.

Rachel: When I saw him get off that plane with her, I really thought I had hit rock bottom. But today, it's like there's rock bottom, 50 feet of crap, then me.

Weird.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-09-2011, 06:51 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/16/jonah-hill-dramatic-weight-loss_n_900580.html
Jesus fuck

And yeah, looks like a good movie, but as JMark said, why do people try to depict Billy Beane as a GM who's actually won something.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I can't wait for the film about Daryl Morey.
:lmao

SA210
09-09-2011, 09:49 PM
:sleep

baseball's the shittiest most boring sport ever created, this we all already know (I don't count golf as a sport in case you're wondering). On top of that, it's not even about the sport itself but technology being used to revolutionize the sport. And on top of that, add the now slimmed down kike Jonah Hill for horrible comedic relief....I'll pass

Some people hate Facebook, but The Social Network was a really good movie.

CubanSucks
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Some people hate Facebook, but The Social Network was a really good movie.

name me one other movie like The Social Network

now I'll post a list of sports related movies that'll take up an entire page (not really but you get my point)

Monostradamus
09-09-2011, 11:32 PM
it's not even about the sport itself but technology being used to revolutionize the sport.

holy fuck you're an ignorant little faggot. There's no "technology" involved, it's just the first time an actual baseball GM used a bunch of nerdy statistics to run his team. You might be the most uneducated dickwad this forum's ever seen, and I'm including peewee's lovechild when I say that.

Monostradamus
09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Jesus fuck

And yeah, looks like a good movie, but as JMark said, why do people try to depict Billy Beane as a GM who's actually won something.

Considering the salary restraints placed upon him, making the playoffs a few times with Oakland is just about equal to the Yankees paying out the ass to win one world series in the past decade.

SA210
09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Considering the salary restraints placed upon him, making the playoffs a few times with Oakland is just about equal to the Yankees paying out the ass to win one world series in the past decade.

Not only that, did the system help other teams later on? People miss the point. Rocky didn't win in the first one either, he went the distance with less means.

That kind of greatness or inspiration goes over some people's heads.

:rolleyes

CubanSucks
09-10-2011, 12:52 AM
holy fuck you're an ignorant little faggot. There's no "technology" involved, it's just the first time an actual baseball GM used a bunch of nerdy statistics to run his team. You might be the most uneducated dickwad this forum's ever seen, and I'm including peewee's lovechild when I say that.

awwww, no long winded attempt at making a humorous TLC post? It's funny watching you break character :lol

The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

Director: Bennett Miller
Writers: Steven Zaillian (screenplay), Aaron Sorkin (screenplay)
Stars: Brad Pitt, Robin Wright and Jonah Hill

computer generated analysis isn't technology? I didn't watch the trailer, I've been confused about what the fucking movie's about since seeing all the commercials, and I have no clue on the actual history so I'm just going on what I read. Got any more problems or you wanna just revert back to your shitty rambling troll self?

Monostradamus
09-10-2011, 01:00 AM
computer generated analysis isn't technology?

The analysis doesn't require computers. You can figure it all out with an abacus if you so choose.

I didn't watch the trailer, I've been confused about what the fucking movie's about since seeing all the commercials, and I have no clue on the actual history so I'm just going on what I read.

In other words you talked out of your ass like the ignorant, uneducated faggot you are.

SnakeBoy
09-10-2011, 01:04 AM

He looks like a gastric bypass patient. I've seen alot of them and they always have a certain look to them. Hard to explain but it's a different look than people who lose weight naturally.

SA210
09-10-2011, 01:14 AM
He looks like a gastric bypass patient. I've seen alot of them and they always have a certain look to them. Hard to explain but it's a different look than people who lose weight naturally.

:lol I know what you mean. That look like their skin didn't necessarily keep up with the weight loss?

ChuckD
09-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Not only that, did the system help other teams later on? People miss the point. Rocky didn't win in the first one either, he went the distance with less means.

That kind of greatness or inspiration goes over some people's heads.

Absolutely. EVERY team now uses those stats, and you can't get those efficient players cheaply any more because there is a thriving market for them now.

Oakland's main issue was that there is no Moneyball for managers and coaches. They were also extremely cheap in that area, and a top manager can mean the difference in a key game of a series.

Make no mistake, what Beane did was revolutionary. It changed the game. What he did was the equivalent of taking the Clippers to the second round or WCFs. The As were that bad.

Rumor has it that he may be in line for the Cubs gig. I'd love to see what he would do with a big market team budget.

SA210
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Absolutely. EVERY team now uses those stats, and you can't get those efficient players cheaply any more because there is a thriving market for them now.

Oakland's main issue was that there is no Moneyball for managers and coaches. They were also extremely cheap in that area, and a top manager can mean the difference in a key game of a series.

Make no mistake, what Beane did was revolutionary. It changed the game. What he did was the equivalent of taking the Clippers to the second round or WCFs. The As were that bad.

Rumor has it that he may be in line for the Cubs gig. I'd love to see what he would do with a big market team budget.

Thank you. And this was my point. He did make a difference. I can't stand when people don't see the greatness in a story like that. They plainly see it as black and white, "Did he win the World Series?" No, so it sucks"

I really can't wait to see this film.

JMarkJohns
09-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you. And this was my point. He did make a difference. I can't stand when people don't see the greatness in a story like that. They plainly see it as black and white, "Did he win the World Series?" No, so it sucks"

That's not what I was saying... I was saying that their original trailer with its promise of a championship team from misfit toys is a odd promise to make based upon reality. Like I said, the accomplishments were accomplishments enough - changing the way teams were assembled, winning on small budgets, etc... There's no need to throw in the one line of a Championship team that never exists for the David amongst the many Goliaths.

Then, I added that for all the blustering of "small market this" and "tiny budget" that, the 2000-2004 Athletics squads had plenty enough talent to do more than they did, so while it's an accomplishment to be good on a shoe-string budget, they really should have been better than they were. In 2001, especially. Granted, this isn't Beane's fault, but much of the film seems to be based upon the premise that Beane found ways to overachieve on less, when, in reality, while his talent was young, he had plenty of it, and, I would argue - and not alone, mind you - that his teams did less with more.

Yeah, sucked he couldn't retain his own players. He still had plenty of talent, which, yes, is a credit to his drafting, scouting, eye for trades, etc., but I'm not buying the entirety of the small vs. large. Talent is talent, no matter the size of the contract, and, especially in 2001, the A's had more of it than just about every team and underachieved. In like 2003 (or 2004) they had the MVP and Cy Young on the same team with multiple other All-Stars.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-10-2011, 01:37 PM

I never said he sucks. I read moneyball and it was a great book, I just don't see why the movie needs to distort history. You don't need a storybook ending for it to be a good movie.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
If anything the producers of the movie are the ones who don't see the greatness in Billy Beane's story given that they feel the need to turn it into an extremely cliche, "The underdog team wins a world series!" baseball movie.

SA210
09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
That's not what I was saying... I was saying that their original trailer with its promise of a championship team from misfit toys is a odd promise to make based upon reality. Like I said, the accomplishments were accomplishments enough - changing the way teams were assembled, winning on small budgets, etc... There's no need to throw in the one line of a Championship team that never exists for the David amongst the many Goliaths.

Then, I added that for all the blustering of "small market this" and "tiny budget" that, the 2000-2004 Athletics squads had plenty enough talent to do more than they did, so while it's an accomplishment to be good on a shoe-string budget, they really should have been better than they were. In 2001, especially. Granted, this isn't Beane's fault, but much of the film seems to be based upon the premise that Beane found ways to overachieve on less, when, in reality, while his talent was young, he had plenty of it, and, I would argue - and not alone, mind you - that his teams did less with more.

Yeah, sucked he couldn't retain his own players. He still had plenty of talent, which, yes, is a credit to his drafting, scouting, eye for trades, etc., but I'm not buying the entirety of the small vs. large. Talent is talent, no matter the size of the contract, and, especially in 2001, the A's had more of it than just about every team and underachieved. In like 2003 (or 2004) they had the MVP and Cy Young on the same team with multiple other All-Stars.

Yea, I know what you mean on that line used in the trailer. Frickin Hollywood :lol But as you said, what he did was revolutionary, and that type of stuff peaks my interest. As now other teams have used the system I think it'd make a movie pretty interesting to watch rather than all that Twilight crap.

JMarkJohns
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I never said he sucks. I read moneyball and it was a great book, I just don't see why the movie needs to distort history. You don't need a storybook ending for it to be a good movie.

Exactly, like Rocky. I don't need sugary sweet to feel good about something. The backstory is interesting enough. And, damn it, quit having the dopey kid in all sports movies. Nobody cares about the kids.

Axe Murderer
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
in case you're wondering

i dont think anybody was tbh

SA210
09-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Well, they may imply a Championship by the statements of the characters, but don't you think they really said those things while starting this system? Yea, maybe those lines being in the trailer might be misleading, but I'm sure they talked like that and really said that to each-other. He says, "I believe there is a championship team we can afford". Don't you think he actually said that and believed it?

JMarkJohns
09-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Yea, I know what you mean on that line used in the trailer. Frickin Hollywood :lol But as you said, what he did was revolutionary, and that type of stuff peaks my interest. As now other teams have used the system I think it'd make a movie pretty interesting to watch rather than all that Twilight crap.

I hate the Disneyfication of sports movies. That's not to say I don't enjoy Cool Runnings, but there's very seldom "feel good" in sports. The intrigue of sports is often the humanity involved... this is why boxing premises are often the most successful/revered. The best sports movies I've seen don't rewrite the dark into light to make the story easier to appreciate.

This had all the humanity necessary to be a real good film, but they've stripped it of the potentially darker elements, added a cutesy kid for comedic relief, spun it into a cliche, and slapped a PG-13 rating on it for all the families too easily offended by real life.

You had a handful of guys challenging 150 year old wisdom on how things are run in a sport that's slow to admit its wrong and slower to actually do anything about it, who, if their revolution failed, wouldn't just be out of a job, but be a laughingstock and blackballed. They had everything riding on an unproven... this doesn't need anything more than an honest retelling.

JMarkJohns
09-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, they may imply a Championship by the statements of the characters, but don't you think they really said those things while starting this system? Yea, maybe those lines being in the trailer might be misleading, but I'm sure they talked like that and really said that to each-other. He says, "I believe there is a championship team we can afford". Don't you think he actually said that and believed it?

To problem is the payoff shouldn't be the individual success, but the changing of the game in a matter of years. That's the significance of the story, not some 20-game win-streak of an ultimately underachieving squad.

I watched Hatteberg hit that homer live. It was amazing - at the time. Until the trailer, I forgot it even happened. What can't be escaped is the fact that this system has been adopted by some degree or another by just about every team in baseball in very short order.

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
No, because that's not how it went. Paul DePodesta (the assistant GM Jonah Hill's character is based off) wasn't the one who introduced sabermetrics to the A's at all. They designed the movie like that because they wanted the cliche "Fat nerd uses his smarts to dominate!" plotline.

Here's a picture of DePodesta, who by the way, was an advanced scout and also special assistant to the GM in Cleveland before going to Oakland. So the whole, "This is my first job" thing is another cliche fairytale:

http://darksideofthebay.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/paul-depodesta.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE
09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I hate the Disneyfication of sports movies. That's not to say I don't enjoy Cool Runnings, but there's very seldom "feel good" in sports. The intrigue of sports is often the humanity involved... this is why boxing premises are often the most successful/revered. The best sports movies I've seen don't rewrite the dark into light to make the story easier to appreciate.

This had all the humanity necessary to be a real good film, but they've stripped it of the potentially darker elements, added a cutesy kid for comedic relief, spun it into a cliche, and slapped a PG-13 rating on it for all the families too easily offended by real life.

You had a handful of guys challenging 150 year old wisdom on how things are run in a sport that's slow to admit its wrong and slower to actually do anything about it, who, if their revolution failed, wouldn't just be out of a job, but be a laughingstock and blackballed. They had everything riding on an unproven... this doesn't need anything more than an honest retelling.
Yeah I agree about the kid part. I don't recall the book ever having a part about how Billy Beane was a :cryhard working daddeh who wanted to put his kid through school:cry

Unrelated topic, but I'm surprised that even with this huge moneyball/get on base movement that's been in baseball for years that batting average is still such a popular stat. It's been proven for awhile now that it's the most overrated stat in baseball.

CubanSucks
09-10-2011, 03:06 PM
i dont think anybody was tbh

you're a little late

GREAT avatar though

ManuBalboa
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I saw the early premier and it was a good movie. I enjoyed it. I don't care if Hollywood chopped this one up, Baseball is zzzzzzzzzzz, but this movie was good.

SA210
09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm going to the midnight showing :hat

SA210
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Wonderful film. :tu:tu Very inspirational film, great job by Brad Pitt. Loved the scene on the win streak.

ididnotnothat
09-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Very good movie and Brad Pitt knocked it out of the park. He has arrived.

JMarkJohns
09-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Get rid of the stupid kid.

Good movie, otherwise, though I'd have liked a little more metric backstory/scouting stuff (barely mentioned so as to make the ideas digestible for stupid people) and less of the up-n-down of the 2002 season. Oh, and get rid of the stupid kid. Great buildup, eh middle, solid baseball ending, bringing it back around to the both ideas of success - yes, the idea changed the way the game is analyzed, thus constructed, but without the big-money spending, it's yet to yield the ideal results. When you spend 4/5-times what everyone else does, the idea of metric-based signings isn't necessarily needed.

Buddy Holly
09-24-2011, 09:03 PM
:lol I know what you mean. That look like their skin didn't necessarily keep up with the weight loss?

That's exactly what it is. They lose fat too quickly and the skin that's stretched stays stretched.

SA210
09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
v47JKDebwc8&feature=player_embedded

SA210
09-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Moneyball had the best opening for a baseball-themed movie ($20.6M). The previous record-holder was The Benchwarmers with $19.7M.

SA210
01-10-2012, 12:42 AM
On Blu-Ray and DVD. Hittin up Walmart at midnight. I'm about to own this one. :tu:tu

JMarkJohns
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Have fun not waiting in line for the midnight release of a film nobody else cares enough about to purchase the second it hits the shelves.

baseline bum
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Good movie, but I agree on the hating every scene with the emo kid.

monosylab1k
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Have fun not waiting in line for the midnight release of a film nobody else cares enough about to purchase the second it hits the shelves.

So are you suggesting that because Transformers gets picked up at midnight by the masses, it's a superior movie to Moneyball?

monosylab1k
01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Good movie, but I agree on the hating every scene with the emo kid.

I liked the kid. Thought she added another dimension to Pitt's performance.

I hated the Spike Jonze cameo. That was easily the worst character in the movie.

SA210
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks, I did just that. :king

SA210
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I liked the kid. Thought she added another dimension to Pitt's performance.

I hated the Spike Jonze cameo. That was easily the worst character in the movie.

Yea, I really hoped they had deleted scenes on the kid and Brad's character. None though. But the extras are pretty awesome though :tu

monosylab1k
01-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Funny re-reading this thread and seeing JMark and DoK prematurely shit on this movie without having any real knowledge of what it's about. Trailers are always horribly misleading, and they fell hook, line, and sinker.

Now this movie has a shitload of Golden Globe nominations, and it's a virtual lock to be a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars, along with Brad Pitt and possibly Jonah Hill.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I was shitting on the fact it distorted what actually happened. Billy Beane's assistant GM wasn't some fat fuck with no job experience who introduced saber metrics to baseball.

SA210
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Funny re-reading this thread and seeing JMark and DoK prematurely shit on this movie without having any real knowledge of what it's about. Trailers are always horribly misleading, and they fell hook, line, and sinker.

Now this movie has a shitload of Golden Globe nominations, and it's a virtual lock to be a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars, along with Brad Pitt and possibly Jonah Hill.

And well deserved :tu