PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 players that your franchise gave up on too soon

Findog
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Here's the Top 10 guys that had their best years away from Dallas and were let go too soon, in no particular order:

1. Dale Ellis
2. Detlef Schrempf
3. Jason Kidd
4. Sam Perkins
5. Steve Nash
6. Sam Cassell
7. Jamal Mashburn
8. Kurt Thomas
9. Raja Bell
10. Devin Harris

Muser
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Don't know if I can think of 10, Scola is right up there obviously if he counts.

clambake
08-04-2011, 10:36 AM
not sure if it could be called "giving up" on most of those players.

djohn2oo8
08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Here's the Top 10 guys that had their best years away from Dallas and were let go too soon, in no particular order:

1. Dale Ellis
2. Detlef Schrempf
3. Jason Kidd
4. Sam Perkins
5. Steve Nash
6. Sam Cassell
7. Jamal Mashburn
8. Kurt Thomas
9. Raja Bell
10. Devin Harris

Hey, yall got a ring out of letting Nash go, even though Mavfans took alot of shit about it.

Findog
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
not sure if it could be called "giving up" on most of those players.

Al Wood for Dale Ellis?
Herb Williams for Detlef Schrempf?
Not attempting to resign Sam Perkins?

clambake
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
ellis and schrempf, too inconsistent. perkins, maybe.

Findog
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
ellis and schrempf, too inconsistent. perkins, maybe.

Ellis was an All Star and 25 ppg scorer for the Sonics and we traded him for a scrub. He certainly would have filled a need and I don't think we would have been upset by Seattle in 1987 if he was still a Mav.

Schrempf was a two time six man of the year and we sent him away for an aging center on his last legs.

Findog
08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Don't know if I can think of 10, Scola is right up there obviously if he counts.

I'd say it counts since the Spurs once held his rights.

clambake
08-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Ellis was an All Star and 25 ppg scorer for the Sonics and we traded him for a scrub. He certainly would have filled a need and I don't think we would have been upset by Seattle in 1987 if he was still a Mav.
he didn't play like that with the mavs.

Schrempf was a two time six man of the year
which didn't mean anything in the end.

baseline bum
08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I can only think of 7

1. Rod Strickland - Should have been Robinson's PG for the entire 90s, but the ownership got cheap and decided to go with scrub-ass Vinny Del Negro instead. Strickland walked to Portland.

2. Stephen Jackson - Pop should have given him the 5 years he wanted; Pop would only offer three.

3. Luis Scola - Disaster of a salary dump. He could have really helped against the Lakers frontline. LOL Bonner instead.

4. Kevin Duckworth - Would have been a nice replacement for Gilmore. Instead the Spurs traded him for Walter Berry, the king of empty stats.

5. Frank Brickowski - Was a really nice backup big who gave hard fouls. I think he was part of shipping the corpse of Alvin Robertson's career for Terry Cummings though, so it wasn't too bad I guess.

6. Antoine Carr - Had some nice years with the Jazz after walking.

7. Raja Bell - LOL Derek Dial over Bell on the 2001 roster.

dirk4mvp
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
The Mavericks aren't the only team that gave up on him, but Gerald Green imo.

BlackSwordsMan
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Dennis Rodman

VBM
08-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I can only think of 7

1. Rod Strickland
2. Stephen Jackson
3. Luis Scola
4. Kevin Duckworth
5. Frank Brickowski
6. Antoine Carr
7. Raja Bell

Some might say Bowen in light of how awful Jefferson's been.

Findog
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
he didn't play like that with the mavs.

That's kind of the whole point.

which didn't mean anything in the end

So it was a good move to trade him for an aging center?

clambake
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
That's kind of the whole point.

So it was a good move to trade him for an aging center?

they were stuck in the mud with the mavs.

Findog
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
they were stuck in the mud with the mavs.

I think they would have gotten opportunities to play - Aguirre was shipped out because of a bad attitude and that would have opened up minutes for Ellis.

clambake
08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
ellis was his own worst enemy. played with too much self-inflicted pressure.

baseline bum
08-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Ellis was awful in the playoffs in his Spurs days; I didn't miss him at all when the team let him walk in '94.

Dunc n Dave
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I can only think of 7

1. Rod Strickland - Should have been Robinson's PG for the entire 90s, but the ownership got cheap and decided to go with scrub-ass Vinny Del Negro instead. Strickland walked to Portland.

2. Stephen Jackson - Pop should have given him the 5 years he wanted; Pop would only offer three.

3. Luis Scola - Disaster of a salary dump. He could have really helped against the Lakers frontline. LOL Bonner instead.

4. Kevin Duckworth - Would have been a nice replacement for Gilmore. Instead the Spurs traded him for Walter Berry, the king of empty stats.

5. Frank Brickowski - Was a really nice backup big who gave hard fouls. I think he was part of shipping the corpse of Alvin Robertson's career for Terry Cummings though, so it wasn't too bad I guess.

I would 2nd those selections along with:

8. Reggie Williams- famous for being cut by the Spurs on Christmas, he went on to have some great years in Denver.

9. Hedo Turkoglu - had his best years with Orlando after leaving the Spurs. Was perfect for Pop's system and his love of small ball. Just choked in the playoffs for us, but learned how to handle the pressure in his run to the Finals with Orlando.

10. John Salmons - drafted by Spurs and traded for Speedy Claxton, who helped in the '03 Finals run, but Speedy has been injury riddled since that year while Salmons has flourished into a pure scoring G/F, something the Spurs have been needing.

Honorable mention:

Leandro Barbosa, Tyrone Corbin, Howard Eisley, John Paxson, George Hill were all guys who were either drafted by the Spurs and traded or played 1-2 seasons for them before going on to have decent careers.

baseline bum
08-04-2011, 12:17 PM
8-10 weren't major losses IMO. I'll take the '03 ring over Salmons not being able to get minutes behind Ginobili, Bowen, Jackson, and later Barry and Finley too. Turkoglu really only had one good postseason. Too bad; he should have become a really amazing player with his size, ballhandling, and shooting.

Dunc n Dave
08-04-2011, 12:28 PM
8-10 weren't major losses IMO. I'll take the '03 ring over Salmons not being able to get minutes behind Ginobili, Bowen, Jackson, and later Barry and Finley too. Turkoglu really only had one good postseason. Too bad; he should have become a really amazing player with his size, ballhandling, and shooting.

Williams's 18ppg for Denver would have been a nice addition to that 91-92 Spurs team though. Put him on the perimeter with Strickland, Elliott, Chill, and The Microwave and you've got a lot of weapons to surround DRob, Cummings, and Carr. Yes, there wouldn't be enough playing time for all of them (maybe the Spurs don't sign Vinnie Johnson, if they have Reggie, which is fine with me).

His scoring would've been useful when DRob and Anderson when down before the playoffs and Cummings had to carry the team.

jacobdrj
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Adrian Dantley
Corliss Williamson (Cost us a shot at a title IMHO)
Ben Wallace (shouldve offered him more)
Rick Carlisle (as a coach)
Dennis Rodman
The 1991 team.
Aaron Afflalo
Mehmet Okur (shouldve signed him instead of Sheed)
Tony Delk (Saunders should have played him more than 30 seconds in the POs)
Darko (had they a guy like Carlisle to use him right, if at all)
Chauncy (he had some left in the tank, even though I still support the trade).

Findog
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM

He was still a much better player than Al Wood, and his talent would have earned him minutes if the Mavs kept him. Same with Schrempf.

pass1st
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Hard list, I'd have to think about it

lefty
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I can only think of 7

Nice list

What about Barbosa?

Findog
08-04-2011, 03:45 PM
The Mavericks aren't the only team that gave up on him, but Gerald Green imo.

He hasn't done anything.

DMC
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Devin Brown ftw

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
What about Barbosa?
He fuckin sucks

TheNextGen
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Hornet Fan: Kobe Bryant

frodo
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
daniels, solid role player and would of been a better option as the starting SG then antonie wright or stevenson imho.

JoeTait75
08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
1.) Kevin Johnson
2.) Charles Oakley
3.) Bill Laimbeer
4.) John Johnson
5.) Johnny Newman
6.) Dell Curry
7.) Carlos Boozer
8.) Derek Anderson
9.) Mark West
10.) Mike Mitchell

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2011, 05:49 PM
TBh A LOT of these lists have players the team didn't really "give up on". Just using JoeTait's post as an example since it's above mine, but I don't think letting Boozer out of a contract so they could give him a new one then getting sand bagged by him is "giving up" on him.

JoeTait75
08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
TBh A LOT of these lists have players the team didn't really "give up on". Just using JoeTait's post as an example since it's above mine, but I don't think letting Boozer out of a contract so they could give him a new one then getting sand bagged by him is "giving up" on him.

I agree, Boozer was a stretch.

Cavaliers didn't really "give up" on KJ, either, I suppose. They knew he was going to be good.

TimmehC
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Scola
Rodman
S-Jax
George Hill :cry

lil_penny
08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Drazen and Jermaine

DeadlyDynasty
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
What's with all the b-ball related threads today?